ADVERTISEMENT

Anyone going to Tipton to see Flory tonight?

tjreese

All-American
Gold Member
Sep 27, 2008
if so, Kim and I plan on going and hope to find a chair on the baseline. Always happy to put moniker and face together should any stop. I prefer to sit opposite from the stage but not sure if they will have chairs there or not?

Reactions: Schnelk
if so, Kim and I plan on going and hope to find a chair on the baseline. Always happy to put moniker and face together should any stop. I prefer to sit opposite from the stage but not sure if they will have chairs there or not?
that would require I get a haircut and it's late on a Saturday ...

Reactions: tjreese and tenwest
Are we still in the running for Flory? 247 has Cinci in the lead... Not sure of the connection there except potentially NIL.

Are we still in the running for Flory? 247 has Cinci in the lead... Not sure of the connection there except potentially NIL.

A previous player saw me in the gym and came up to talk to me about Flory. His younger brother helps out with Tipton in some capacity and he said his brother knows Peckinpaugh (I have no idea how well...guess ing a little). Said Peckinpaugh told him that he wanted to stay close and said he wants to play right away...not sure how that fits with Purdue. Said he understood Michigan, MSU and IU were in the running. Not sure if that was an interpretation based upon playing time or not and I never talked to him directly.

Another guy I haven't seen in 20-30 years saw me at halftime and came over. Surprised he recognized me not knowing I would show up. He was a previous MVP in a Purdue camp as a youngster maybe going into 7th grade or so...then went to Kokomo where he started at a guard spot and was their QB as well....around 92 grad. He I believe is a Purdue grad and said he understood Flory was at Cincy a few days ago with two of his AAU teammates...knew all about his AAU coach and Cincy FWIW. Rumors were flying that Izzo and some IU coaches might be there amongst the fans, but no sightings or verification I could find. Walking out of the gym I saw another coach in the stands that I knew for many years with a Butler shirt on. He said that Flory was at Butler a few days ago as well. As I was leaving Matt went to the Kokomo bench after that game to get a few words in with Flory or let him know he was there...not sure the rules at this time.

Kudos to CMP for getting out to see the recruits last night and tonight with an early game tomorrow.
@proudopete He had to eat a pizza before going home. Search facebook for gabes pizza (center road) and open it and scroll down. @proudopete I assume that is Jimbo with Matt's arm around him.

Reactions: TX4GB
yep that is where he was. Someone you know take the pic? I think the game was streamed as well
I don’t know the person taking the pic. It popped up on Twitter when I searched Matt Painter. It was a good one. Last night CMP was closer to the floor it seemed at the Perry game in KY.

I don’t know the person taking the pic. It popped up on Twitter when I searched Matt Painter. It was a good one. Last night CMP was closer to the floor it seemed at the Perry game in KY.
he was top row behind tipton section. If you look towards teh top and see someone sitting alone or with another person...it may be a coach. ;) He was swamped with people last night.

Do you know Jim Callane? Is he at the games these days?
I do, but it has been so long he probably wouldn't remember me I'm guessing. He is a frat brother of a poster here that we all know. I am friends to a father-in-law of one of his sons. I never saw him, but he very easily could have been there since it was pretty full and it has been quite a few years. I enjoyed seeing some faces I haven't seen for a while and a bit surprised in one that came out of the stands to "re-introduce" himself to me since I hadn't seen him for so long and thought he was around Indy after his california stay. Had one picture guy sit down beside me and chat for a while and another video much younger guy tell me if I knew Kokomo had a semi-professional basketball team which I didn't know. Kim telling me I need to shower or I'll be late for the game ;)

I do, but it has been so long he probably wouldn't remember me I'm guessing. He is a frat brother of a poster here that we all know. I am friends to a father-in-law of one of his sons. I never saw him, but he very easily could have been there since it was pretty full and it has been quite a few years. I enjoyed seeing some faces I haven't seen for a while and a bit surprised in one that came out of the stands to "re-introduce" himself to me since I hadn't seen him for so long and thought he was around Indy after his california stay. Had one picture guy sit down beside me and chat for a while and another video much younger guy tell me if I knew Kokomo had a semi-professional basketball team which I didn't know. Kim telling me I need to shower or I'll be late for the game ;)
Jim is one of the few people that would draw me from my hermitage to go see again. I had/have great admiration for how he handled his Directorship. Never a dull moment. The AD at Northwestern in the early '90s was another AD that I admired. He ended-up being President of the Indiana AD's group, I think.

Reactions: tjreese
Jim is one of the few people that would draw me from my hermitage to go see again. I had/have great admiration for how he handled his Directorship. Never a dull moment. The AD at Northwestern in the early '90s was another AD that I admired. He ended-up being President of the Indiana AD's group, I think.
just adding a bit to Flory. Before the games Kim and I walk around Mackey a couple of times and then she gets drink...and the wrist wrap saying she is 21 ;) on the second lap the Tipton coach I've known for many years saw me and stopped me and talked about the game last night and talking about if they would have dropped some shots that were open early they might have made a game of it then talked about a 6'5" guard he has that is a soph asking Matt about areas he can improve and such...really respects Matt. Then it came to Flory and he said Purdue is in it! Not sure if he is any more accurate than some of the others I mentioned, but their info is probably about as good as anyones at this time.

just adding a bit to Flory. Before the games Kim and I walk around Mackey a couple of times and then she gets drink...and the wrist wrap saying she is 21 ;) on the second lap the Tipton coach I've known for many years saw me and stopped me and talked about the game last night and talking about if they would have dropped some shots that were open early they might have made a game of it then talked about a 6'5" guard he has that is a soph asking Matt about areas he can improve and such...really respects Matt. Then it came to Flory and he said Purdue is in it! Not sure if he is any more accurate than some of the others I mentioned, but their info is probably about as good as anyones at this time.
Any recruits at the game today?

Bet he winds up at MSU. Izzo's been all over him.
I get the vibe he wants to stay close from where he has visited and just various talk...cincy was the farthest I think he has been. I know MSU offered, but unsure if he has visited? I think at one time there was talk about going straight to the G league and then never heard much about recruits and then all of sudden many coaches are going to see him again. Matt wants him with more than warm interest. Somebody is going to get a player with a huge upside...a good kid who is improving quickly

I get the vibe he wants to stay close from where he has visited and just various talk...cincy was the farthest I think he has been. I know MSU offered, but unsure if he has visited? I think at one time there was talk about going straight to the G league and then never heard much about recruits and then all of sudden many coaches are going to see him again. Matt wants him with more than warm interest. Somebody is going to get a player with a huge upside...a good kid who is improving quickly
There’s really no need for him to rush to commit. He can afford to be patient and wait until next spring and see exactly who he’ll be playing with.

Reactions: tjreese
There’s really no need for him to rush to commit. He can afford to be patient and wait until next spring and see exactly who he’ll be playing with.
I imagine that is a topic Matt uses to counter what others are probably using that at Purdue he won't play while they are wanting a quick verbal I assume. I also imagine Matt is telling him he would fully "expect him" to play a lot based upon what he sees. My nephew A.D. @Tipton asked Matt after many had left how good Flory was and Matt said GOOD!!! and so Matt has seen enough that the somewhat lack of skill is no problem (and the kid is very skilled around the basket). Can you imagine if it did happen that Purdue got him with a team that was more up and down than today with Zach?

Maybe, it's because I hear Purdue things from Purdue people, but knowing my bias I could see Purdue, IU and Cincy being in the final choices. I could imagine the host family, Kokomo coach and AAU coach having influence for a guy whose family is not in the states. Hearsay doesn't point to him being one that would seek the bright lights over other things...and again I think closeness and familiarity are probably looming large in his decision. All, best guesses that may not be worth anything...

Dominique Murphy 6-5 Soph at EC Central is supposedly a Purdue fan, possibly because of Etwaun Moore being from there, kid is a stud who I hope Matt is following, my guess he is. Averaging about 25 a game, just dropped 33 in a upset win over Gary 21st Century.
Have you seen him play? Got to see Murphy play soon as I’ve forgotten about him. I seen Moore play several times as a sophomore, and he wasn’t that good of a shooter as a sophomore.

ADVERTISEMENT