ADVERTISEMENT

Anybody think Painter is contemplating a change at the 3?

You got nothing. As expected.

Whereas we have proof that others are cheating with NIL.
Cite your proof others are cheating. Using loopholes or grey areas isn't cheating.

Did Miami cheat when that transfer got cash and a car from a private individual? If so, why did the NCAA allow it?

Cite your proof others are cheating. Using loopholes or grey areas isn't cheating.

Did Miami cheat when that transfer got cash and a car from a private individual? If so, why did the NCAA allow it?
Bill self caught cheating.

Sean Miller caught cheating.

Will Wade caught cheating.

Get your head out of your backside dude…

Reactions: mathboy
Ok, that's 3. That's a very small % of the overall. What % of D1 or P5 coaches do you think cheat?
You think it’s just those 3?

Did you miss the Tweet where Ruiz BRAGGED about signing Pack to an NIL deal?

Again, educate yourself son, then come back.

You think it’s just those 3?

Did you miss the Tweet where Ruiz BRAGGED about signing Pack to an NIL deal?

Again, educate yourself son, then come back.
Is Ruiz part of the coaching staff? Is he employed by UM?
I'd suggest you read this article and then tell me what rules he broke (cheated ) and how UM was punished. Last I checked, Pack was on the floor for UM. Educate yourself before flapping the soup coolers.

Is Ruiz part of the coaching staff? Is he employed by UM?
I'd suggest you read this article and then tell me what rules he broke (cheated ) and how UM was punished. Last I checked, Pack was on the floor for UM. Educate yourself before flapping the soup coolers.

Ruiz tweeted that he was giving Pack $800K to commit to UM and endorse LifeWallet.

You’re naive.

Ruiz tweeted that he was giving Pack $800K to commit to UM and endorse LifeWallet.

You’re naive.
Sleazy? Yes. Do I like it personally? NO. Did it break any rules? Not that I'm aware of. I have not heard of Miami getting into any trouble and Pack has played the whole season.

We may not like NIL and PU may not do very well with it (yet to be determined), but that doesn't mean it is cheating to use it.

You’re naive.

He’s not naive, he’s motivated to find everything wrong with Painter possible. So no way would he ever accept that many of the other programs cheat while Painter runs a clean program.

Reactions: mathboy
Sleazy? Yes. Do I like it personally? NO. Did it break any rules? Not that I'm aware of. I have not heard of Miami getting into any trouble and Pack has played the whole season.

We may not like NIL and PU may not do very well with it (yet to be determined), but that doesn't mean it is cheating to use it.
Since when does it take NCAA punishment to prove guilt ? Self got caught red handed and then won the national title, all the while giving the NCAA goobers the double bird…

Reactions: depthcharge623
Since when does it take NCAA punishment to prove guilt ? Self got caught red handed and then won the national title, all the while giving the NCAA goobers the double bird…
What rule did the Pack signing break specifically? I believe the NCAA came out shortly afterward and tried to tighten some language, but at the time of the signing I'm not aware of any rule they broke.

Reactions: bonefish1

You’re naive.
Isn't that what NIL is supposed to be for?
Again, what rule did Ruiz break?
Was Pack or UM punished for it?

Isn't Edey or someone else paid for some car commercials or something like that?

He’s not naive, he’s motivated to find everything wrong with Painter possible. So no way would he ever accept that many of the other programs cheat while Painter runs a clean program.
I'm not sure you and Pal understand the definition of "cheat"

Do you think Painter's a good recruiter? Without even looking it up, I would bet that in his last 10 recruiting classes, he might have 1 in the top 20. Maybe 2. But, i bet at least 5 are ranked 30 or higher
Painter does know that a well-coached junior who was a 3 or 4 star has a decent chance of outplaying a 5 star freshman. Maybe not always to the extent that 3 star junior Tony Perkins completely dominated 5 star JHS. I have a couple questions(and answers) about Perkins and JHS.
1. Who would an NBA gm draft if both were available this year? obviously JHS.
2. Who would Painter pick to play on next year's Purdue team if that were possible?
obviously JHS.
3. Who would Painter pick to finish this year on Purdue's team? obviously Perkins

Isn't that what NIL is supposed to be for?
Again, what rule did Ruiz break?
Was Pack or UM punished for it?

Isn't Edey or someone else paid for some car commercials or something like that?
Against NCAA rules for NIL to be used as an inducement to recruit an athlete.

Against NCAA rules for NIL to be used as an inducement to recruit an athlete.
OK, so if you seem to believe that UM and/or Pack broke an NCAA rule, which by the way, this exact NIL deal was investigated by the NCAA, why wasn't UM, Pack or Ruiz punished?
Maybe you know how to interpret the NIL rules better than the NCAA does?
Just because don't like it and think it's against the rules, doesn't make it so.

OK, so if you seem to believe that UM and/or Pack broke an NCAA rule, which by the way, this exact NIL deal was investigated by the NCAA, why wasn't UM, Pack or Ruiz punished?
Just because don't like it and think it's against the rules, doesn't make it so.
Again, lack of NCAA punishment means nothing. Self got caught cheating red-handed, and promptly gave the NCAA the double birds while winning another natty.

And is it Painter’s fault that Purdue doesn’t have a billionaire booster willing to throw away millions on athletes?

Reactions: Schnelk
Again, lack of NCAA punishment means nothing. Self got caught cheating red-handed, and promptly gave the NCAA the double birds while winning another natty.

And is it Painter’s fault that Purdue doesn’t have a billionaire booster willing to throw away millions on athletes?
You still haven't shown or proven that the majority of coaches cheat, as you claim. You also haven't proven that what Ruiz did at UM with Pack broke any rules.
Does rule breaking occur? Of course. But it's nowhere near the high rate of occurrence you seem to believe, nor is it the reason Painter can't consistently land Top 20 recruiting classes.

Which B10 coaches do you think cheat?

You still haven't shown or proven that the majority of coaches cheat, as you claim.
Never said that

You also haven't proven that what Ruiz did at UM with Pack broke any rules.
Sure I did. Want me to post the tweet and the NCAA rule it violated?
Does rule breaking occur? Of course. But it's nowhere near the high rate of occurrence you seem to believe, nor is it the reason Painter can't consistently land Top 20 recruiting classes.

You’re very naive.

I'm not sure you and Pal understand the definition of "cheat"

Alex, What is someone who never prospers?
dunno.gif

oh darn, I'm wiped out....... :)

Good Lord, Lenny - you're going to the "Welp - nothing to see here if the NCAA doesn't take action?"

Someone could very well invert your last statement and be more persuasive to a reasonable audience - "Just because the NCAA didn't investigate or punish anyone doesn't absolve them."

Just in case you forgot, the NCAA is really a self-regulatory organization......yeah, we've never seen problems with that concept before.

I will agree with you whole-heartedly that the NCAA f*'d this up big time.

You are certainly entitled to your opinion......JMHO

Never said that

Sure I did. Want me to post the tweet and the NCAA rule it violated?

You’re very naive.
What punishment did UM or Pack receive for Ruiz breaking the rules? I'll wait.....

Alex, What is someone who never prospers?
dunno.gif

oh darn, I'm wiped out....... :)

Good Lord, Lenny - you're going to the "Welp - nothing to see here if the NCAA doesn't take action?"

Someone could very well invert your last statement and be more persuasive to a reasonable audience - "Just because the NCAA didn't investigate or punish anyone doesn't absolve them."

Just in case you forgot, the NCAA is really a self-regulatory organization......yeah, we've never seen problems with that concept before.

I will agree with you whole-heartedly that the NCAA f*'d this up big time.

You are certainly entitled to your opinion......JMHO
Cheating implies that there was a defined rule, spelled out very clearly, and that a coach knowingly/willingly disregarded that rule.
That's not the case with UM and Pack. Was Ruiz playing within a grey area? Sure. Was he toeing the line? Probably. Did he break a clearly defined rule? No. At least, not according to the NCAA.
Again, just because you don't like something or don't think it's fair, doesn't mean it wasn't.

Sorry to intrude upon the NIL / Cheating debate-drama that has me clinging to the edge of my seat..

but

Anyone else think a line-up change is happening tonight?

What punishment did UM or Pack receive for Ruiz breaking the rules? I'll wait.....

Reactions: Schnelk
Cheating implies that there was a defined rule, spelled out very clearly, and that a coach knowingly/willingly disregarded that rule.
That's not the case with UM and Pack. Was Ruiz playing within a grey area? Sure. Was he toeing the line? Probably. Did he break a clearly defined rule? No. At least, not according to the NCAA.
Again, just because you don't like something or don't think it's fair, doesn't mean it wasn't.

My point wasn't necessarily tied to the Pack/Ruiz situation, but I can understand you thinking that, Lenny......more to situations in general when the NCAA doesn't act or doesn't really have a "thorough" or "robust" investigation with consequences.....like I don't know maybe Kansas recruiting and the North Carolina accreditation scandal (which was a bigger deal, IMO).......and not sanctioning coaches enough.

You make a good point about gray area, and that's one of the reasons why I agreed with you - the NCAA didn't come out with enough rules on the "inducement" concept - just it's not supposed to be allowed.......and it sure looks like it's going on.....so yeah, plenty of people will push to the edge and beyond.

And yes - sometimes, Purdue's conservative stance puts them at competitive disadvantage, IMO. But that's up to the Board of Trustees and the athletic department on how they want to navigate the waters.....it's tougher every year.

sorry everyone for further highjacking this thread......I will cease to do so further and leave with one last comment for my good friend, Lenny:

GET OFF MY LAWN!

dana-carvey-grumpy-old-man.gif

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: TX4GB and Schnelk
My point wasn't necessarily tied to the Pack/Ruiz situation, but I can understand you thinking that, Lenny......more to situations in general when the NCAA doesn't act or doesn't really have a "thorough" or "robust" investigation with consequences.....like I don't know maybe Kansas recruiting and the North Carolina accreditation scandal (which was a bigger deal, IMO).......and not sanctioning coaches enough.

You make a good point about gray area, and that's one of the reasons why I agreed with you - the NCAA didn't come out with enough rules on the "inducement" concept - just it's not supposed to be allowed.......and it sure looks like it's going one.....so yeah, plenty of people will push to the edge and beyond.

And yes - sometimes, Purdue's conservative stance puts them at competitive disadvantage, IMO. But that's up to the Board of Trustees and the athletic department on how they want to navigate the waters.....it's tougher every year.

sorry everyone for further highjacking this thread......I will cease to do so further and leave with one last comment for my good friend, Lenny:

GET OFF MY LAWN!

dana-carvey-grumpy-old-man.gif
No one is stopping Bone from stepping up and being our John Ruiz savior guy…

So, if there's no threat of punishment and no deterent, then every coach should be cheating.

Purdue has plenty of very wealthy alumni. Money isn't the issue. They need someone to convince them to give it to Purdue.

Sorry to intrude upon the NIL / Cheating debate-drama that has me clinging to the edge of my seat..

but

Anyone else think a line-up change is happening tonight?
Newman should get the start. If not, then 25-30+ minutes. If Newman screws the pooch, so be it. Morton is completely useless.

Prob a game where Zach gets 30+ points.

Hope Painter has us ready to play. He has been asleep at the wheel past 3-4 games. And he does not pull Furst at the first TV TO.

So, if there's no threat of punishment and no deterent, then every coach should be cheating.

Purdue has plenty of very wealthy alumni. Money isn't the issue. They need someone to convince them to give it to Purdue.
Sean Miller and Will Wade are available for the right price.

Call Bobinski and volunteer to fund CMPs buyout if he brings one of them in as a replacement.

From what I've heard, Purdue's scholarship players are being well compensated with NIL. Have you heard something different? The Pack situation was an outlier, not indicative of how NIL is going at Purdue.

Painter is an avg recruiter. Look at where his recruiting classes rank. More often than not, outside the top 30. Stars matter.
Yep. That's what you kept repeating when you complained about recruiting Carsen, Ivey, Zach, and Smith. Are you now backtracking on eating crow regarding Smith?

I keep wondering why Bone hasn't become the big NIL player for Purdue. He's told us over and over again how he expects excellence for himself and it is the secret to his success. And he expects the same from Purdue basketball, even setting goals he expects them to achieve.
And now that it isn't cheating for alumni to get involved with recruits, he would have the 5 star players he craves lined up.

Yep. That's what you kept repeating when you complained about recruiting Carsen, Ivey, Zach, and Smith. Are you now backtracking on eating crow regarding Smith?
I said from the time Carsen and Ivey were still in high school, that they would be studs. Look it up. Smith, not so much. I was wrong on him.
I’ve also said that before Colvin committed, that he’ll be in the NBA.
Most importantly, no recruiting class has gotten Painter to a FF or NC, which is what really matters. So, while he’s pulled a great recruit here and there, his classes collectively have been average.

I keep wondering why Bone hasn't become the big NIL player for Purdue. He's told us over and over again how he expects excellence for himself and it is the secret to his success. And he expects the same from Purdue basketball, even setting goals he expects them to achieve.
And now that it isn't cheating for alumni to get involved with recruits, he would have the 5 star players he craves lined up.
I’ve got friends in low places to take care of that for me.

I’ve got friends in low places to take care of that for me.

"This recruiting business.......is.....a little dangerous......."

SpiffyThirdDalmatian-size_restricted.gif

ADVERTISEMENT