ADVERTISEMENT

Anybody else worried about peaking too early?

proudopete

All-American
Jan 26, 2010
Or do you feel this team still has another gear they can achieve or at least maintain the level of play they are at?

I am hopeful that there is more in the tank, I do worry at times that they are peaking a little early. Must just be the Boiler in me.

No. Why does there have to even be a 'peak'? to begin with? We might stumble along the way to March but that won't mean we suddenly spiral out of control down the rabbit hole.

All this team needs to do is win, get a decent seed in the tourney and play like a team and we will be fine. The only team in the country that can beat us, is us and I am a firm believer in that.

Here is something to remember, both Haas and Mathias had bad nights last night and we still won by almost 30. Sure UW is very depleted, but in the first half CE and VE outscored all of UW combined.

I don't think we're peaking at all, I think this team is just finally playing to it's potential.

I wouldn't use the term peak. Peak implies a temporary high followed by a drop-off in performance. I think plateau might be a more suitable term and a realistic concern. Haarms and Eastern are still improving, but the seniors are already playing pretty close to their ceilings.

Contrast that with, as stated in the first reply, teams that may have a lot of untapped potential closing the gap on us in the next 2 months. For this very reason I would just as soon the Dukes and Kansas and Arizonas to go ahead and dominate their leagues and get a high tourney seed instead of tripping over their youth, inexperience, and selfishness the next 6 weeks only to finally click in March. I would hate to face a team like that in a 1 vs. 4 matchup.

Or do you feel this team still has another gear they can achieve or at least maintain the level of play they are at?

I am hopeful that there is more in the tank, I do worry at times that they are peaking a little early. Must just be the Boiler in me.

My wife and I were talking about this on the way home last night. This team is rolling like no other Purdue team I've seen but it isn't like everyone is clicking each game to reach that. I think the beauty of this team is the versatility and number of options. I think it's just really really good and does have another gear when last night happens plus Haas makes his dunks and Mathias makes his 3s. That team will be a handful even for the basketball factories.

My wife and I were talking about this on the way home last night. This team is rolling like no other Purdue team I've seen but it isn't like everyone is clicking each game to reach that. I think the beauty of this team is the versatility and number of options. I think it's just really really good and does have another gear when last night happens plus Haas makes his dunks and Mathias makes his 3s. That team will be a handful even for the basketball factories.
I agree here. They also had a couple of dry spurts last night that can be cleaned up. Once Eastern starts adding 3-10 points per, this team will be hard to beat. I don’t know if we will ever see every single player hit their average in one game, but it would be neat to see!
I found myself last night feeling just like I did watching the Baby Boilers playing in the Barn that fateful night. They were absolutely clicking on both ends of the floor and that was in February. This team has hit that level in January it appears. Perhaps the sting of that game with the highest of highs along with the lowest of lows is just making me feel this way?

Either way, I am enjoying this team immensely and I look forward to seeing them reach levels many of us have never seen before.

Frankly, I am worried about everything - peaking too early, hitting a plateau, flu, injuries - name it and I will worry about it.

Or a freak incident that leads to the cancellation of the rest of the season. Then down the road they allow AP voters to vote for a National Championship and award it to Purdue. Then IU fans say we still don't have a NCAA banner.. That would be a Purdue like scenario.

On the flip side of that thought...what if this team hasn't yet peaked considering they still have lapses in TO's and giving up double digit leads at the end of the first half of games? When those two things correct themselves, then I'd say the team would be peaking...but there are 11 games left on the schedule. With Purdue's WUG this summer, it could be said that this team is hitting the stride it would have hit around tourney time....what's to say that stride couldn't be hit and continued instead of just reaching it by the time the tourney came around?

Was just looking at some stats. PJ is now shooting 50% from three on the year. There are so many reasons as to why this team is winning like they are. They have not peaked in my opinion. If DM and Haas have their normal nigh last night's game would have been over two min into the second half. Tommy would have gotten my predicted 5 plus min.

My primary worries are injury and fatigue. In that order. The World Games really extends this season beyond the norm.

The high ranking doesn't bother me at all. In fact, the mental preparation of being the better/favored team is learned over time. So being highly ranked during the regular season, and working through all the pressure and attention that goes with it, is very good for post-season.

Reactions: Zaphod_B
I'm more worried about the asinine off week after the BTT due to the need to stroke Delaney's ego to be in MSG. Hope it's not a momentum killer.
This concerns me too. I think the key is to get the highest seed possible so that the first game is simply to knock the rust off. They are well on their way to doing that.

every team will go through bad stretches. the good teams find ways to go through those stretches and still eak out a victory.

Reactions: samcboiler
Was just looking at some stats. PJ is now shooting 50% from three on the year. There are so many reasons as to why this team is winning like they are. They have not peaked in my opinion. If DM and Haas have their normal nigh last night's game would have been over two min into the second half. Tommy would have gotten my predicted 5 plus min.
Actually, the game was over about 2 minutes into the 1st half.
Still pissed I didn't put $ on the Boilers.

Don't worry about it. You, me or anyone else not on the team cannot control what happens with the team. Just enjoy every minute of every game with this team. Let go of expectations and enjoy it. I know I am. :)

This concerns me too. I think the key is to get the highest seed possible so that the first game is simply to knock the rust off. They are well on their way to doing that.
With this team, I think it is a benefit. One of the weaknesses is that the starters are needed to log big minutes and will likely be needed to through the tourney for a long run....a week off at that time may be just what is needed rather than playing 3 or 4 consecutive days, getting home late Sunday night, and then turning around and traveling on Wednesday for a Thursday game....

Allows for a relaxed practice atmosphere of fine tuning issues, resting legs, and rehabbing any nagging injuries to be at full strength.

For every possible negative there are positives as well...if this team were young, I would be worried...they are not.

With this team, I think it is a benefit. One of the weaknesses is that the starters are needed to log big minutes and will likely be needed to through the tourney for a long run....a week off at that time may be just what is needed rather than playing 3 or 4 consecutive days, getting home late Sunday night, and then turning around and traveling on Wednesday for a Thursday game....

Allows for a relaxed practice atmosphere of fine tuning issues, resting legs, and rehabbing any nagging injuries to be at full strength.

For every possible negative there are positives as well...if this team were young, I would be worried...they are not.

good thinking, hope you're right

was there ever any practice/scrimmage setup with another mid major team for that week (who is off then also)?
wasn't sure if that was just fan talk or coaches actually mentioning it.

Got a chance to watch your boys the last couple of games.... looking scary good! Was hoping to play in Atlantis, but now I hope we get the chance to see each other again---if so, probably means an E8 or FF match up.

Purdue has been steamrolling teams lately, but keep in mind that the last two opponents Purdue has faced (Minnesota and Wisconsin) are both short handed due to injuries (and, in Minnesota's case, an expulsion). Purdue faced Michigan in Ann Arbor three games ago, and that was a real battle.

Reactions: BoiledSteel
Purdue has been steamrolling teams lately, but keep in mind that the last two opponents Purdue has faced (Minnesota and Wisconsin) are both short handed due to injuries (and, in Minnesota's case, an expulsion). Purdue faced Michigan in Ann Arbor three games ago, and that was a real battle.
We will not blow everybody out. Iowa will be tough game on Saturday. Everybody wants a piece of the boilers now.

Reactions: BoiledSteel
Agree. This is why I keep telling people that we are going to stumble along the way I would love to win out like we all would, but realistically speaking we more than likely won't.

I think we'll win all of our home games mind you, but life on the road in the B1G is never easy nor a gimme.

Reactions: rgarlitz
good thinking, hope you're right

was there ever any practice/scrimmage setup with another mid major team for that week (who is off then also)?
wasn't sure if that was just fan talk or coaches actually mentioning it.
Wonder what the NCAA has in its rule books about this. Honestly as much as a glorified scrimmage one would think would be good....I wouldn't like the complete drop in competition from the BTT to the NCAA's with a probably sub 300 RPI team. Honestly, Purdue would probably get more from an intrasquad scrimmage about 5-6 days out from the NCAA Tourney.

In addition to a veteran team, Painter has experienced the week off between conference and NCAAT three times as a coach: 2x as assistant and 1x as HC at Southern Illinois. I'm sure he'll use that experience to help determine his plan for this year's squad.

At the end of the day, fans of B1G teams that do well in the NCAAT will think the layoff was a good opportunity to rest and reset. Fans of B1G teams that do poorly in the NCAAT will think the week off made their team rusty. Also of note: the Zags & Shockers have been able to make the F4 in recent seasons with tourneys that end before the big boys.

Or a freak incident that leads to the cancellation of the rest of the season. Then down the road they allow AP voters to vote for a National Championship and award it to Purdue. Then IU fans say we still don't have a NCAA banner.. That would be a Purdue like scenario.

Don't overlook the non-zero probability that an asteroid strike might destroy Earth just before the championship game, thus denying us our rightful national title

Got a chance to watch your boys the last couple of games.... looking scary good! Was hoping to play in Atlantis, but now I hope we get the chance to see each other again---if so, probably means an E8 or FF match up.
My son-in-law is a Villanova grad, my daughter has her MD from UVA and I'm a Purdue grad, so we were all happy campers when the polls came out this week! :)

Wonder what the NCAA has in its rule books about this. Honestly as much as a glorified scrimmage one would think would be good....I wouldn't like the complete drop in competition from the BTT to the NCAA's with a probably sub 300 RPI team. Honestly, Purdue would probably get more from an intrasquad scrimmage about 5-6 days out from the NCAA Tourney.
MVC plays their tourney the same weekend, playing Northern Iowa on the open weekend wouldn’t be too bad. And they’re probably better than IU and Illinois.

After watching the team completely dominate Wisky with two starters, Haas and Mathias, having off nights, I'm not concerned. When this team is clicking on all cylinders, they will be really, really tough to beat.

Reactions: Do Dah Day

I don't know if I'd say we're "peaking" - we're playing a lot of bad teams.

Our January opponents' Big Ten records are:
5-2 (Michigan)
4-3 (Nebraska)
3-4 (Minnesota)
2-4 (Northwestern)
2-4 (Wisconsin)
2-5 (Rutgers)

That's a combined 18-22.

We've only played one good team. I think we're simply playing well against bad teams - not sure I'd define it as peaking. We have more challenges to come.

The blessing that goes with the week-off curse is that our legs will benefit. They just will. Our minds and muscle memory may lose a bit, thus your hope is valid, but I think we will have a relatively easy first round opponent. Our legs will take all the downtime they can get after the WUG .... and Carsen started even earlier.

No. I worry about banked in 3s, dribbling off our knees, and back and knee injuries.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT