ADVERTISEMENT

Anybody else think this game is winnable with AOC?

Plummer isn’t really keeping anything alive with his feet. Let’s spread the field and use our TE and WR mismatches to their fullest.
Maybe if his last name didn't start with an O'......

Kidding. I think it's winnable with Horvath, that's the rub.

Plummer isn’t really keeping anything alive with his feet. Let’s spread the field and use our TE and WR mismatches to their fullest.
With the way the online is (or, rather, isn’t) blocking, I’m not sure I would want a QB in there that presents no threat with his feet.

That right there is the difference between Bell and Wright (and, to be fair, many others). He just makes plays.

I’m a big fan of AOC but I just think the pressure would be coming down on him way too fast. Plummer is taking bail out throws and brohm has called some passive runs.. but plummer could be extending things out due to his feet IF that makes sense

See that’s just a terrible play call. It’s good if you are throwing it to rondale moore…. Notre dames mindset on that play is “awesome, doerue is a worse athlete than our guy.”

Reactions: Bstix
The grasp of the offense is night and day between the 2 in my opinion.
Ok and I like aoc better but.. plummer was the guy them game planned for.. you don’t want to get into a harbaugh tomzcak thing where the other guy comes in and plays great and the next big time opponent you’re like oh..

I have no idea why Brohm keeps going with Plummer as a starter over AOC. Every time I watch AOC, he moves the offense and keeps us in the game against tough opponents whereas Plummer is happy to pad his stats against the easy competition but unable to move the ball against quality opponents. I have no idea what Brohm sees at this stage of Plummer's development that makes him a better option at QB than AOC. Brohm's playcalling has sucked as well though. He needed to throw, throw, and throw some more with AOC at centre.

Reactions: npb and pboiler18
I have no idea why Brohm keeps going with Plummer as a starter over AOC. Every time I watch AOC, he moves the offense and keeps us in the game against tough opponents whereas Plummer is happy to pad his stats against the easy competition but unable to move the ball against quality opponents. I have no idea what Brohm sees at this stage of Plummer's development that makes him a better option at QB than AOC. Brohm's playcalling has sucked as well though. He needed to throw, throw, and throw some more with AOC at centre.
Did you even pay attention to the play calling and OL play in the 1st half? All we did was run and dink around on short pass plays. Maybe if Plummer saw more agrression in the play calling in the 1st half, he could have moved the ball as well.

First of all I think this game and all games are winnable with either qb. I have always thought that AOC thew better than Plummer and made quicker decisions. AOC is a bit of a gunslinger so you will have to deal with a few throws into double coverage. Plummer is more mobile but not enough to be a game changer imo. I would like to see O’Connell from here on out but we can win with either.

Did you even pay attention to the play calling and OL play in the 1st half? All we did was run and dink around on short pass plays. Maybe if Plummer saw more agrression in the play calling in the 1st half, he could have moved the ball as well.
Yeah I agree. Hence why I am saying Brohm sucked with his play calling. He should've trusted his QB and wide receivers more. But clearly even when Plummer was given the option to throw, he was holding the ball too long. But, Coach Brohm, why start Plummer if you're actually trusting AOC with throwing the ball more? It doesn't make sense to me.

Yeah I agree. Hence why I am saying Brohm sucked with his play calling. He should've trusted his QB and wide receivers more. But clearly even when Plummer was given the option to throw, he was holding the ball too long. But, Coach Brohm, why start Plummer if you're actually trusting AOC with throwing the ball more? It doesn't make sense to me.

I disagree with this. Brohm has said he wants to make a concerted effort to stay more balanced so we are gonna run some even if it doesn’t work to try to keep the defense honest. As far as pass plays go the call typically has 3-5 routes and it is the qbs job to quickly read the defense and get through his progression. I do not think the pass plays were different with AOC in the game. I just think he is more willing to make a quick decision and push the ball downfield. It seems to me like he trusts his arm much more than Plummer does. I promise you that Brohm is not telling Plummer to only throw to wrs within 5 yards of the line of scrimmage.

I disagree with this. Brohm has said he wants to make a concerted effort to stay more balanced so we are gonna run some even if it doesn’t work to try to keep the defense honest. As far as pass plays go the call typically has 3-5 routes and it is the qbs job to quickly read the defense and get through his progression. I do not think the pass plays were different with AOC in the game. I just think he is more willing to make a quick decision and push the ball downfield. It seems to me like he trusts his arm much more than Plummer does. I promise you that Brohm is not telling Plummer to only throw to wrs within 5 yards of the line of scrimmage.
The play calling was day and night different. He put in AOC for pure passing...

Reactions: DAG10 and BSIT
I thought Plummer managed the game well, given the play calling and spotty protection. AOC does seem to process things in real time better than Plummer and gets through his progressions well. He isn't afraid to try and thread the needle which is good but also has its downside as well. I'm not a fan of musical quarterbacks. Plummer's body language on the sidelines was not good after he was taken out of the game. Tough call as to who gives us the best shot. Would be interesting to get the players opinion on things, but that will never happen.

I thought Plummer managed the game well, given the play calling and spotty protection. AOC does seem to process things in real time better than Plummer and gets through his progressions well. He isn't afraid to try and thread the needle which is good but also has its downside as well. I'm not a fan of musical quarterbacks. Plummer's body language on the sidelines was not good after he was taken out of the game. Tough call as to who gives us the best shot. Would be interesting to get the players opinion on things, but that will never happen.
We will never know what the right answer is, but Drew mentioned a couple times Plummer wasn't seeing the field well and put the ball in the wrong receiver's hands. I'm guessing he didn't mention it every time he saw it. Maybe CJB and the staff saw it as well which lead to the change. I trust the staff and I trust Drew's input.

Reactions: Beorik
I stated in the game thread that OC looked pretty decent at scrambling. He picked up that 4th and 8 with his feet. If Plummer can't give us anything with his feet, then I dont see why he would start over OC going forward.
The biggest thing to me was that AOC got the ball out of his hands quickly to negate the rush. I dont fault him on the 2 INTs either. Durham should have caught the 1 and he was trying to make something happen late game on the 2nd.

My point earlier was that Plummer was in there because of his feet and we got nothing out of him extending plays. Plummer getting sacked vs AOC just getting rid of it is a net negative and part of why the change was made.

The insistence of Brohm trying to run the ball even when we can’t is going to be the downfall of this season and ultimately his tenure here. Brees nailed it…the short pass game is our version of the run game. Take what the D gives you in 4,5,6 yard chunks and keep the ball moving. If you continue to execute, you’ll be in position to counter the short passes with something deep or you can drink and dunk them to death. When they adjust…THEN run the ball vs a 5-6 man box or take your shot.

Yes…we all want a competent run game…but simply calling run plays doesn’t make it happen. AOC to me gives us the best chance to win, especially with Bell out because he actually reads the field and goes through his progressions and can deliver the football on time and consistently accurately.

As some posters have pointed out, Plummer doesn’t go through progressions or do it consistently well enough to have an impact IMo

The biggest thing to me was that AOC got the ball out of his hands quickly to negate the rush. I dont fault him on the 2 INTs either. Durham should have caught the 1 and he was trying to make something happen late game on the 2nd.

My point earlier was that Plummer was in there because of his feet and we got nothing out of him extending plays. Plummer getting sacked vs AOC just getting rid of it is a net negative and part of why the change was made.

The insistence of Brohm trying to run the ball even when we can’t is going to be the downfall of this season and ultimately his tenure here. Brees nailed it…the short pass game is our version of the run game. Take what the D gives you in 4,5,6 yard chunks and keep the ball moving. If you continue to execute, you’ll be in position to counter the short passes with something deep or you can drink and dunk them to death. When they adjust…THEN run the ball vs a 5-6 man box or take your shot.

Yes…we all want a competent run game…but simply calling run plays doesn’t make it happen. AOC to me gives us the best chance to win, especially with Bell out because he actually reads the field and goes through his progressions and can deliver the football on time and consistently accurately.

As some posters have pointed out, Plummer doesn’t go through progressions or do it consistently well enough to have an impact IMo
Nailed it...pretty much throughout.

This team CAN'T run the football...it is that simple, and, to call a play just for the sake of saying that they ran is ridiculous. It has absolutely nothing at all to do with balance, nor is there any need for balance, especially when they are incapable of running...the idea is to move the football and put points on the board, and, simply forfeiting downs is not productive...in any way.

Because it can't run the football, to your (and apparently Drew's) point, they need to find ways to overcome that...Tiller/Chaney did so...and, it is amazing to me that the Brohm brothers are apparently incapable of doing so.

Plummer is a better athlete...O'Connell is a better QB...and, with how bad the OL is, a case could be made for Plummer in light of it, but, at the same time, one guy is better at making actual plays at the position.

Everything goes back to the OL and it just being as overmatched as it is...it changes (and limits) everything that Purdue can do.

I like that you said, “drink and dunk”.
I know what you meant. It just seemed the the conservative style yesterday caused me to drink as we got dunked! That is all. 😂

Nailed it...pretty much throughout.

This team CAN'T run the football...it is that simple, and, to call a play just for the sake of saying that they ran is ridiculous. It has absolutely nothing at all to do with balance, nor is there any need for balance, especially when they are incapable of running...the idea is to move the football and put points on the board, and, simply forfeiting downs is not productive...in any way.

Because it can't run the football, to your (and apparently Drew's) point, they need to find ways to overcome that...Tiller/Chaney did so...and, it is amazing to me that the Brohm brothers are apparently incapable of doing so.

Plummer is a better athlete...O'Connell is a better QB...and, with how bad the OL is, a case could be made for Plummer in light of it, but, at the same time, one guy is better at making actual plays at the position.

Everything goes back to the OL and it just being as overmatched as it is...it changes (and limits) everything that Purdue can do.

I disagree that this team can’t run the football. We ran good enough in 2 of 3 games. We didn’t run great against ND but King did ultimately average 4.5 per carry which is serviceable. There will be a few games this year where it is difficult to get rush yds but you can’t just not run at all. Purdue only had 18 runs by a running back vs 54 passes. We were not just throwing away a bunch of plays to the run.

I do agree with the talent and play style of this team the short passing game must be an extension of our run.

Reactions: Riveting
I disagree that this team can’t run the football. We ran good enough in 2 of 3 games. We didn’t run great against ND but King did ultimately average 4.5 per carry which is serviceable. There will be a few games this year where it is difficult to get rush yds but you can’t just not run at all. Purdue only had 18 runs by a running back vs 54 passes. We were not just throwing away a bunch of plays to the run.

I do agree with the talent and play style of this team the short passing game must be an extension of our run.
They did not run with great success against Oregon St., and, that was with Horvath...UConn was the equivalent of a HS team...Holy Cross ran well against them a week prior. The only reason King averaged 4.5 yards was he had a single huge run where ND was out of position and he capitalized.

This team has no push at all at the line...none...it is consistently and repeatedly knocked back at the point of contact.

Down their top RB and with a (yet again) below average OL...this team can't run the football, especially against any legitimate quality opponent.

This team is so bad at running the football, at least in any traditional sense, that I am indeed open to the idea of genuinely not even bothering...

It is a combination of an overmatched OL, no true RB threat or above average individual, and, poor play calling...collectively...Purdue can't run the football when it matters, or, against a legitimate defense.

They did not run with great success against Oregon St., and, that was with Horvath...UConn was the equivalent of a HS team...Holy Cross ran well against them a week prior. The only reason King averaged 4.5 yards was he had a single huge run where ND was out of position and he capitalized.

This team has no push at all at the line...none...it is consistently and repeatedly knocked back at the point of contact.

Down their top RB and with a (yet again) below average OL...this team can't run the football, especially against any legitimate quality opponent.

This team is so bad at running the football, at least in any traditional sense, that I am indeed open to the idea of genuinely not even bothering...

It is a combination of an overmatched OL, no true RB threat or above average individual, and, poor play calling...collectively...Purdue can't run the football when it matters, or, against a legitimate defense.

Agree to disagree.

Again, with removing the results that you don't like. We've been down this road before. A RB's stats are what they are. A QB's stats are what they are.

Reactions: Beorik
We will never know what the right answer is, but Drew mentioned a couple times Plummer wasn't seeing the field well and put the ball in the wrong receiver's hands. I'm guessing he didn't mention it every time he saw it. Maybe CJB and the staff saw it as well which lead to the change. I trust the staff and I trust Drew's input.
Plummer doesn’t see the field well or quickly at Notre dames level of play. The good news is I’m not sure we play another defense as big and explosive in the front 7 as ND

Plummer doesn’t see the field well or quickly at Notre dames level of play. The good news is I’m not sure we play another defense as big and explosive in the front 7 as ND
Ohio State probably had a better DL. Suspect LB play tho. Michigan State seems to have a quality DL too and Mel Tucker is a better defensive coach than Brohm is an offensive coach.

those look like 2 very long days to me…

Ohio State probably had a better DL. Suspect LB play tho. Michigan State seems to have a quality DL too and Mel Tucker is a better defensive coach than Brohm is an offensive coach.

those look like 2 very long days to me…
Yeah Michigan state is better than I thought.

also.. Notre dame asked a question yesterday.. “if you take away bell and Durham, what else do they really have?”

I’ll be prepared for that question to keep getting asked .:

ADVERTISEMENT