ADVERTISEMENT

Anybody else now really ready for basketball now?

NVBoilerFan

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Really thought we had a chance Brohm was going to be a great coach, but it looks like more mediocrity.

This football team is very young and inexperienced in some areas, and lacking real talent in others. I was surprised at the initial hype before we played any games. Now we get reality.

Scary thought is that our basketball team might mirrow this same lack of experience and spotty Talent distribution.

Last edited:
Beware this BB team is young and low on experience too!

I just believe in Matt Painter. Hes reached that level in my eyes. There are just 20-25 coaches better than the rest of the nation and hes for sure one of them. And that group continually does well while everyone else is up and down.

Izzo, Beilein, Painter all just seem to excel year in and year out while keeping their down years to a minimum.

Oddly enough, I think this will be a down year for Izzo, but more often than not those 3 win because theyve found a winning formula and system and know how to recruit to it now.

I look around this roster and it seems like it fits Painters system so well.

Painters teams do really well defensively when they have a rim protector - HAARMS fits that role with Dowuonna possibly fitting it as a backup as well. Saw the entire team out at a restaurant this week and Dowuonna is huge. He definitely has B1G size to go along with his athleticism.

When you pair rim protectors with elite perimeter defenders, like Painter has in Carsen Edwards and Nojel Eastern, then it really goes well because Painter is a defensive guru. Hes basically the defensive version of John Beilein - you just know he will consistently develop players defensively like Beilein seems to do offensively. Its part of the reason Im so much higher on Aaron Wheeler than most people - I think Painter is going to turn him into a defensive nightmare at some point in his career, hopefully that point is sometime this season.

Offensively, Purdue has real potential. Cant find the tweet or story now, but I remember clicking on a story about Carsen back when he announced he was returning and it pointed out he was among the most efficient PnR ball handlers in the entire nation with a certain minimum amount of possessions. That is just great news for Purdues offense. And thats something that should only get better, IMO.

Cliff notes summary:

-Purdue has the pieces for Painter to have a top 25 defense like hes built 7 times in his 14 year Purdue coaching career already.
-Carsen in the PnR is a great catalyst for the offense.

I just dont see how Purdue isnt a very solid team this season. Pending health, they seem like a sure fire tournament team again.

I just believe in Matt Painter. Hes reached that level in my eyes. There are just 20-25 coaches better than the rest of the nation and hes for sure one of them. And that group continually does well while everyone else is up and down.

Izzo, Beilein, Painter all just seem to excel year in and year out while keeping their down years to a minimum.

Oddly enough, I think this will be a down year for Izzo, but more often than not those 3 win because theyve found a winning formula and system and know how to recruit to it now.

I look around this roster and it seems like it fits Painters system so well.

Painters teams do really well defensively when they have a rim protector - HAARMS fits that role with Dowuonna possibly fitting it as a backup as well. Saw the entire team out at a restaurant this week and Dowuonna is huge. He definitely has B1G size to go along with his athleticism.

When you pair rim protectors with elite perimeter defenders, like Painter has in Carsen Edwards and Nojel Eastern, then it really goes well because Painter is a defensive guru. Hes basically the defensive version of John Beilein - you just know he will consistently develop players defensively like Beilein seems to do offensively. Its part of the reason Im so much higher on Aaron Wheeler than most people - I think Painter is going to turn him into a defensive nightmare at some point in his career, hopefully that point is sometime this season.

Offensively, Purdue has real potential. Cant find the tweet or story now, but I remember clicking on a story about Carsen back when he announced he was returning and it pointed out he was among the most efficient PnR ball handlers in the entire nation with a certain minimum amount of possessions. That is just great news for Purdues offense. And thats something that should only get better, IMO.

Cliff notes summary:

-Purdue has the pieces for Painter to have a top 25 defense like hes built 7 times in his 14 year Purdue coaching career already.
-Carsen in the PnR is a great catalyst for the offense.

I just dont see how Purdue isnt a very solid team this season. Pending health, they seem like a sure fire tournament team again.
Good observation. I hear or read about how young Purdue is and I can see that too. I remember all the writers said when Hammons left Purdue would be not as good we’ll went what 29/7 big 10 championship and sweet 16. When Swanigan left many of these same writers said some of the same things about Purdue well went 30/7 sweet 16 to go along with 19 game win streak and now 4 seniors gone and many believe purdue won’t even make the tournament or finish maybe in the middle of the pack in the big 10 bcuz this years team lack experience. I’m confused to why some think that bcuz Haarms ,Cline, Eifert and Nojel all did play min throughout the entire season. They just didn’t play a lot of min like the starters did if they all didn’t play any min I can see the lack of experience many speak of. Wheeler and Sasha practiced all season so they absolutely knows what to expect coming into the season just need to games under their belt. The freshmen all will adjust to whatever their roles will be but all to me brings value to this team at each position. Than you have Evan who has college experience not Juno experience but college game experience who by the way is really really good player is more than ready to play a major role this season both offensively and defensively. I guess what I’m trying to say is yes this team is young if looking at the roster I get it but experience they return 4 guys who all played in probably all 37 games all had games they made huge impacts on outcomes in games played in 3 Ncaa tournament when some teams who returns players who just played more min than these 4 but don’t mean they have more experience as Nojel Cline and Haarms they just played more min than they all did that’s all. I have a belief that all 3 will be more productive bcuz they all will play more min together. They all no what is being writtem about them I’m sure they all will be ready to step up their games and help this team win games. All they need is some games under their belt to gel and mesh together than it’s gonna be fun watching how this team begins to take shape.

Beware this BB team is young and low on experience too!

That's true but it doesn't take as many good players to reverse the fortunes for basketball as it does for football. They have four key returnees and six newcomers to go along with them.

Reactions: Roeder
Carsen will be Carsen. If Eastern, Haarms and Wheeler all approach their potential, this team could be good by March. There will be at least one WTH game as they all try to mesh. Will be an interesting season.

Reactions: Roeder and Mgkcbb
Really thought we had a chance Brohm was going to be a great coach, but it looks like more mediocrity.
We have had struggles in basketball from time to time over the last few years, just like we have had in football. We have obviously have been better record wise in basketball than football. However, we need to be supportive of our programs no matter what happens. Brohm will turn this around. It is just going to take time. I am excited about our team this year in basketball, but I am not going to give up on our football program yet. We might have a rough year this year in football, but it is on the upswing.

Carsen will be Carsen. If Eastern, Haarms and Wheeler all approach their potential, this team could be good by March. There will be at least one WTH game as they all try to mesh. Will be an interesting season.

The improvement of Eastern and Haarms will be huge in determining this teams success. Those 2 maximizing their potential will be difference in being an average team and a great team IMO.

Carsen and EB should be solid. Cline is what he is, but this team will need his experience and outside shooting. Hopefully he hits some clutch shots during his Sr year as he has done a few times during his career. I'm sure Grady's hustle will contribute to a few wins at some point in year too.

It doesn't seem fair to put high expectations on Hunter, Wheeler, ED, Sasha, and Williams their first year. All will probably contribute at some point during season since there are only 10 true scholarship players depending on matchups and injuries, some more than others.

Good observation. I hear or read about how young Purdue is and I can see that too. I remember all the writers said when Hammons left Purdue would be not as good we’ll went what 29/7 big 10 championship and sweet 16. When Swanigan left many of these same writers said some of the same things about Purdue well went 30/7 sweet 16 to go along with 19 game win streak and now 4 seniors gone and many believe purdue won’t even make the tournament or finish maybe in the middle of the pack in the big 10 bcuz this years team lack experience. I’m confused to why some think that bcuz Haarms ,Cline, Eifert and Nojel all did play min throughout the entire season. They just didn’t play a lot of min like the starters did if they all didn’t play any min I can see the lack of experience many speak of. Wheeler and Sasha practiced all season so they absolutely knows what to expect coming into the season just need to games under their belt. The freshmen all will adjust to whatever their roles will be but all to me brings value to this team at each position. Than you have Evan who has college experience not Juno experience but college game experience who by the way is really really good player is more than ready to play a major role this season both offensively and defensively. I guess what I’m trying to say is yes this team is young if looking at the roster I get it but experience they return 4 guys who all played in probably all 37 games all had games they made huge impacts on outcomes in games played in 3 Ncaa tournament when some teams who returns players who just played more min than these 4 but don’t mean they have more experience as Nojel Cline and Haarms they just played more min than they all did that’s all. I have a belief that all 3 will be more productive bcuz they all will play more min together. They all no what is being writtem about them I’m sure they all will be ready to step up their games and help this team win games. All they need is some games under their belt to gel and mesh together than it’s gonna be fun watching how this team begins to take shape.
Our returnees have QUALITY experience, if not quantity. Experience helping to win big games. Logging tons of minutes on a losing team is much less valuable.

Our returnees have QUALITY experience, if not quantity. Experience helping to win big games. Logging tons of minutes on a losing team is much less valuable.
What your point sir I’m not sure I follow you not sure if this a sarcastic comment or not bcuz I no I didn’t mention any team in my message. So plz if you can clarify what you are saying don’t wanna assume the wrong thing. Logging tons of minutes on a losing team is much less valuable what does this mean.

I agree. Las Vegas has this team at roughly 20th in the country and 4th in the conference in odds to win the National Championship. Long odds for sure, but certainly not ‘borderline Tourney team odds’. I’d trust the old adage ‘follow the money’ in this case versus listening to pundits whose objective is to get as much attention for their views as possible.

What your point sir I’m not sure I follow you not sure if this a sarcastic comment or not bcuz I no I didn’t mention any team in my message. So plz if you can clarify what you are saying don’t wanna assume the wrong thing. Logging tons of minutes on a losing team is much less valuable what does this mean.

I assume he’s referencing IU, whose fans have come on here arguing they will have the better team this year because they have more players returning who logged major minutes.

The counter argument to that is that their guys played major minutes because they played on a crappy team, that doesn’t make them better than Matty H, Cline or Nojel, who played fewer minutes because they were on a very talented, senior heavy team.

Of course the arguement on either side is purely hypothetical, but you could argue that those three guys for Purdue (possibly Sasha and Wheeler as well) would have played major minutes last year if playing for a team as bad as IU.

I assume he’s referencing IU, whose fans have come on here arguing they will have the better team this year because they have more players returning who logged major minutes.

The counter argument to that is that their guys played major minutes because they played on a crappy team, that doesn’t make them better than Matty H, Cline or Nojel, who played fewer minutes because they were on a very talented, senior heavy team.

Of course the arguement on either side is purely hypothetical, but you could argue that those three guys for Purdue (possibly Sasha and Wheeler as well) would have played major minutes last year if playing for a team as bad as IU.
Gotcha. Looking at this roster it’s a mixture of youth, athleticism, speed, size, shooters at each position. A roster that has multiple players who can play and defend multiple positions. A few returns that has in game experience. A few who has practiced all season clearly has the system down just need in game experience now. A veteran transfer that is very very good and can compete in the big 10 with anybody bcuz he’s a baller. So many line ups u can have that would be intriguing to see and fun to watch. Even Eifert knows who he is and his role plays so hard every possession will contribute like the freshmen will they just need to get some in games to figure out who they are. I’m excited about this years team and what this team potentially could be very very good once they have played some games.

I agree. Las Vegas has this team at roughly 20th in the country and 4th in the conference in odds to win the National Championship. Long odds for sure, but certainly not ‘borderline Tourney team odds’. I’d trust the old adage ‘follow the money’ in this case versus listening to pundits whose objective is to get as much attention for their views as possible.

Its just in Purdue fans nature to be overly pessimistic and cautious, I think. Probably has alot to do with Hummel's knee injuries and Haas injury.

If you notice, Matt Painter won 30 games last year, won 19 in a row, made the sweet 16 without his starting center, and finished top 5 in KenPom. By any and all accounts, he had not just a good but great year. But to hear alot of Purdue fans tell it, last year was supposedly some massive disappointment because the team lost in the Sweet 16 without its starting center. And of course, Matt Painter is somehow to blame for all of this and needs to do better.

Now compare that with other fan bases, who seem mostly overly optimistic.

Theres a B1G coach last year who:

-Went 16-15
-Missed the tournament and postseason play altogether
-Lost at home to Indiana State and IPFW each by 20+
-Ended the year losing to a bad Rutgers team on a neutral court
-Didnt beat a single good team all year, went 0-9 vs tournament teams
-Did this with both one of the best bigs in the conference and a senior guard top 50 recruit

And the fans of that coaches program absolutely adores him and thinks he is awesome. But Purdues fans are disappointed with someone vastly superior because he only made the Sweet 16 down his starting center. And he did all of this without a single top 70 recruit btw, since people place so much importance on recruiting rankings.

But this disappointment has kind of carried into next season IMO. Fans seem to have very tempered expectations for this seasons team now and I cant figure it out.

Like you said, Vegas essentially pegs them as the 20th best team in the nation preseason. Imagine Illinois fan base or Indianas fan base with this coach and roster, the hype would be through the roof for this team. Its a weird/funny dynamic IMO.

I guess all the injuries have made the fan base a little gun shy.

Its just in Purdue fans nature to be overly pessimistic and cautious, I think. Probably has alot to do with Hummel's knee injuries and Haas injury.

If you notice, Matt Painter won 30 games last year, won 19 in a row, made the sweet 16 without his starting center, and finished top 5 in KenPom. By any and all accounts, he had not just a good but great year. But to hear alot of Purdue fans tell it, last year was supposedly some massive disappointment because the team lost in the Sweet 16 without its starting center. And of course, Matt Painter is somehow to blame for all of this and needs to do better.

-Went 16-15
-Did this with both one of the best bigs in the conference and a senior guard top 50 recruit

And the fans of that coaches program absolutely adores him and thinks he is awesome. But Purdues fans are disappointed with someone vastly superior because he only made the Sweet 16 down his starting center. And he did all of this without a single top 70 recruit btw, since people place so much importance on recruiting rankings.

But this disappointment has kind of carried into next season IMO. Fans seem to have very tempered expectations for this seasons team now and I cant figure it out.

Like you said, Vegas essentially pegs them as the 20th best team in the nation preseason. Imagine Illinois fan base or Indianas fan base with this coach and roster, the hype would be through the roof for this team. Its a weird/funny dynamic IMO.

Matt Painter went 9-19 his first year at Purdue and I don't recall any of our fans jumping off the bandwagon. Archie Miller went 16-15, without any of his players, returns Juwan Morgan who is one of the best big men in the B10 as well as 5 out of their 7 top scorers and bring in a top 10 recruiting class anchored by the best SG in the country and soon to be top 10 pick. I understand why Indiana fans have a lot of optimism and frankly I agree with them.

I think the pieces are there for Purdue this year, but it is going to be dependent on the jumps the surrounding casts take. Carsen Edwards is really the one constant next years team has. If guys like Eastern and Haarms can play like upperclassmen night in and night out next year and and guys like Boudreaux and Cline give consistent efforts along with a freshman or two making an immediate impact, Purdue will be a top 25 team and will be comfortably in the tournament. But that is a lot easier said than done.

Reactions: indyogb

-Went 16-15

You need look no further than your football program to understand the hype around Archie. Everyone understands Brohm is better than Hazell, and once he gets his players Brohm will be good. Archie and Brohm have already done very well on the recruiting trail. It's only a matter of time for both.

Fortunately for IU, the turnaround in basketball is much quicker, because it only takes 3 or 4 good recruits to do it.

Reactions: Statey
There you go again BAB, keep on defending those Hoosiers and their coach.

Defending what? Their fans should have moderately high expectations given the players they return + the incoming talent?? Guilty I guess....Rather be caught guilty than with my head buried in the sand.

Watching bab try to keep his fake Purdue mask from slipping off anytime anyone says anything that isnt over the top praise about his Hoosiers is hilarious.

No. Hilarious is continuing to watch you try an interject your knowledge (or lack thereof) on a forum with topics of discussion you know nothing about. I generally try and stay out of conversation that deals with say something like NYC fashion or movies from the 50s and 60s BECAUSE I KNOW NOTHING ABOUT THEM, and I don't pretend to know either. You should heed that advice and stay clear of anything basketball related because your ability to read a box score or an experts tweet isn't getting you very far.

Here's what. Guys like NC Trojan and Cheeseman let it be known tjat they are IU fans. I expect them to lightly defend IU on a Purdue message board. I don't understand why a Purdue person would.

And I'd much rather engage with IU guys like them (even if it is a Purdue forum) because a) they can have civil, objective conversation and b) most importantly, they actually know what in the hell they are talking about more so than blowhards like yourself who are here for moral support and calling anybody with a differing opinion a troll. You don't have to be an IU fan, a Purdue fan, etc to know somebody like Romeo is going to be one of the best freshman in the country. You don't need to be an IU fan or a Purdue fan to know that Michigan State is still going to be one of the best teams in the B10 next year. You guys obviously hate the fact that a Purdue fan like myself can objectively and cordially have a conversation with fans of a rival team because I'm not blinded by the fact that "IU sucks" just because "it's IU". That's an all too common theme on here. Yes I want Purdue to beat the daylights out of IU each and every time they play, but I'm not going to have a clouded judgement just because they are a rival. I've praised Purdue and Painter more than enough times on here.

Reactions: Mclovin-
Well your judgement must be a little clouded because I don't recall calling you a troll . I just can't comprehend why a Purdue person feels the need to defend IU while attacking a fellow Purdue person.

I’m not defending IU as much as I’m calling out a fellow Purdue fan for a) not knowing what he’s talking about and on top of that b) defending the fact that I’m somehow an IU fan simply because he doesn’t agree with me. Any rational person who knows the first thing about basketball knows that Romeo Langford will easily be one of the best freshman in college basketball this year, let alone the B10, and any person who thinks otherwise deserves to be called out on it, like I have done with MGK. I’d had done the same thing if it was an MSU fan or a Ball State fan. You really have to possess so little basketball knowledge to make such an egregious statement like that.

I think IU should have high expectations this year. In fact I think they should settle for nothing less than an national championship.

They have the best guard ever in Romeo, and one on the best big men in college basketball in Morgan. Hell, anything less than an N.C. is like terrible and they should fire their coach.
:cool:

ADVERTISEMENT