ADVERTISEMENT

Anybody able to see the summer workouts?

bonefish1

All-American
Oct 4, 2004
Interested to hear about Berg? Is he playing on the perimeter? Shooting the 3? How's he competing speed/quicknesswise with the current players ?

He is being overlooked. Edey, TKR, Gillis, and Furst will be a tough matchup. Rebounding should be a strength. Berg is icing on the cake if he is further along than expected.

I said in another thread our front court will be too good to be any worse than 5th or so in the B1G.

I said in another thread our front court will be too good to be any worse than 5th or so in the B1G.

Agreed. But our backcourt may not be good enough to be better than 5th or so in the B1G. 😀
The last handful of NCAA tournaments the 5 seed in the B1G conference tournament has been seeded as follows
2022 - Iowa - 5 seed
2021 - OSU - 2 Seed
2020 - Iowa - No tournament
2019 - Maryland - 6 seed
2018 - Michigan - 3 seed
2017 - MSU - 9 seed

Averages out to a 5 seed. 5-6 seed in the NCAA tournament seems doable for this Purdue team right now

The Freshman development will be a big piece to the puzzle here! Also how quickly can Jenkins catch on, if he shots 40% from 3 then look out!
Not ever seeing the guy play, he's a mystery to me. The guy has shot over 40% from three over the course of his career but can't keep his starting position. In fact he played less than 10 minutes in 6 of Utah's last 16 games after starting the year playing 25 to 30 minutes.

The only thing I can glean from his stats are that his shooting percentage from 2 has been less than 40% the last two years, he hasn't ever had very many assists and it reported he's not a great defender.

If the guy could shoot 40% from 3 and still fall out of the rotation for a Utah team that went 4-16 in conference play, what makes you think if he shots 40% from 3 for Purdue we should "look out"?

Reactions: DAG10
Not ever seeing the guy play, he's a mystery to me. The guy has shot over 40% from three over the course of his career but can't keep his starting position. In fact he played less than 10 minutes in 6 of Utah's last 16 games after starting the year playing 25 to 30 minutes.

The only thing I can glean from his stats are that his shooting percentage from 2 has been less than 40% the last two years, he hasn't ever had very many assists and it reported he's not a great defender.

If the guy could shoot 40% from 3 and still fall out of the rotation for a Utah team that went 4-16 in conference play, what makes you think if he shots 40% from 3 for Purdue we should "look out"?
We are a in to out team, a lot of open looks are going to happen for a lot of our perimeter players. Guys who hit open looks will stay on the floor and 40% 3pt shooting is what you want.

Also the whole Utah thing I feel is being overused, it was one year and reeks of poor coaching to me. When the Utes were winning in non conference Jenkins just happened to be playing more minutes. Then the Oregon State game happens then his minutes vanish? I would like to hear Utah coach explain why, I heard it’s because he brought in some of “his guys” from Utah State. I believe they were also bigger guards who are 6’4 or taller. But none of us here can really say why because no one here follows that team to my knowledge. I do know when he followed his coach TJ Otzelberger, who is a heck of a coach and is turning around that disaster at Iowa State. Jenkins performed well under the tutelage of a great ball coach. I believe Painter can bring that out of him given our minute and lack of scoring in the backcourt situation.

This could be a very poor mans Carsen Edwards where he is just feeling it from downtown and just makes it rain! That’s all you really need from him is hit those 3’s baby and let the flow of the game come to you! Let’s see how this develops but I like the fit a lot!

We are a in to out team, a lot of open looks are going to happen for a lot of our perimeter players. Guys who hit open looks will stay on the floor and 40% 3pt shooting is what you want.

Also the whole Utah thing I feel is being overused, it was one year and reeks of poor coaching to me. When the Utes were winning in non conference Jenkins just happened to be playing more minutes. Then the Oregon State game happens then his minutes vanish? I would like to hear Utah coach explain why, I heard it’s because he brought in some of “his guys” from Utah State. I believe they were also bigger guards who are 6’4 or taller. But none of us here can really say why because no one here follows that team to my knowledge. I do know when he followed his coach TJ Otzelberger, who is a heck of a coach and is turning around that disaster at Iowa State. Jenkins performed well under the tutelage of a great ball coach. I believe Painter can bring that out of him given our minute and lack of scoring in the backcourt situation.

This could be a very poor mans Carsen Edwards where he is just feeling it from downtown and just makes it rain! That’s all you really need from him is hit those 3’s baby and let the flow of the game come to you! Let’s see how this develops but I like the fit a lot!
I believe that's a reasonable response but...

It wasn't just at Utah. The same thing happened at UNLV and I believe he followed is coach there, so I don't think it was just bias on the part of the coach. Midway through the year he lost his starting spot for I believe 6 or 7 games. His stats were very similar. Good 3 point shooting numbers. Poor shooting % for 2 point shots, few assists, rebounds, or steals.

In Painter's offense we've had guys who are spot up three point shooters and we've had guys who have run off screens or in Ivey or CE's case created their own space because defenders had to be aware of the drive. The three's that Sasha, Cline, Newman, CE or Ivey took are much different than the toes on the line threes that guys like Hunter, PJ, Gillis, Morton or Eifert were shooting. Again, I haven't seen the guy play but it will be interesting to see what he brings to the table.

ADVERTISEMENT