ADVERTISEMENT

Any thoughts about new Commission Kevin Warren's 1st year on the job?

Yup.

For far too many, math is hard.

0-24 mortality is incredibly low.

Instead, there is this narrative pushed about betting on athletes, not caring about student-athletes, using student-athletes... admittedly with an agenda to do away with all college athletics.

This virus has very little (really, zero) effect on college athletes.

My opinion: if the guys want to play, work out a safe way to do so. Anecdotally it appears that the majority (possibly vast majority) of P5 players want to be on the field this fall. As a long time season ticket holder and JPC member I'll watch from home if it means those kids who want to play can do so, and we as a society can at least begin to crawl toward a (relatively) more normal world. For those who want to play ensure that they(and their parents) are fully aware of the known risks and sign a waiver. And map out the plans to help keep them safe(in addition to routine testing, isolate as much as possible including a semester of on-line classes). For those who don't want to take the risk, no hard feelings as you sit out but once that choice is made it's irreversible this fall and they're separated from the "active" team.

Reactions: MilwaukeeBoilerFan
Yup.

For far too many, math is hard.

0-24 mortality is incredibly low.

Instead, there is this narrative pushed about betting on athletes, not caring about student-athletes, using student-athletes... admittedly with an agenda to do away with all college athletics.

This virus has very little (really, zero) effect on college athletes.
It’s not about the math it’s about the emotion. Inevitably one or two guys in D1 football would get it and have a hard time. All of the media would talk about these unpaid mercenaries almost dying for football. The MSM hates football enough in normal times so there’s no way a college president will want to deal with that.

It’s not about the math it’s about the emotion. Inevitably one or two guys in D1 football would get it and have a hard time. All of the media would talk about these unpaid mercenaries almost dying for football. The MSM hates football enough in normal times so there’s no way a college president will want to deal with that.

Okay, let us think about this for a minute. How many players in the NFL and MLB have already contracted Covid-19? A sizeable number--so much so that per numerous reports MLB is actively working on figuring out how to create a bubble for the playoffs to avoid an outbreak derailing the playoffs and costing it TV revenue. Do you really think MLB would be going through that cost and expense if it did not have to? Further, players in the NFL and MLB have a material financial incentive to follow best practices, because should the season be canceled their respective collective bargaining agreements allow the owners to not pay or significantly reduce their pay as contracts in both leagues are a function of games played. Ergo, if a bunch of adults who potentially stand to loose millions of dollars cannot avoid spreading the virus, do you honestly believe that a bunch of college age males are going to avoid spreading the virus? If you do, please review literally any study about the formation of the prefrontal cortex in males and its relationship to inability to accurately evaluate risk and decision making.

Now, let us address the question of effects. Contrary to what a number of people on this board claim, Covid-19 does have material adverse effects on young and healthy individuals. This is not in dispute. Do younger age groups generally have less severe cases and have a lower risk of mortality? Yes, this is also not in dispute. However, it does not follow that because the risk is lower that the risk is effectively zero or not statistically significant. That line of logic is a perfect example of the proven phenomenon that people materially underweight the risk associated with low probability events and overweight the likelihood of high probability events (see 2020 election).

Further, the view that younger demographic groups have less severe effects or are largely immune has its basis in the early data on the virus from China that has been totally discredited. So much so that a myriad of scientific papers based on such data have been withdrawn, because it is no longer considered to be valid for scientific purposes. Subsequent data has shown that younger individuals tend to have less severe symptoms but are not immune, but have consistently found that the viral load in the nose and mouth of younger individuals is substantially higher than older individuals making them a more efficient spreader of the virus if contracted.

If the virus did not affect young and healthy individuals, why has it been broadly reported by numerous media outlets that at least 5 Big Ten players who have contracted the virus have been diagnosed with myocarditis, which is a known complication from the virus? What is myocarditis? It is a inflammation of the heart muscle--I assume we can all agree that is suboptimal no matter one's age--which often results in sudden death or heart failure. Thus, while I will miss football as much as the next person if the season is postponed, I am not in favor of putting student athletes' lives at risk so that I have something to do on Saturday.

p.s. Everyone thinking Nebraska's threat to play outside the conference is being taken seriously should take the time to read the Big Ten's membership documents. Nebraska would effectively have to remove itself from the conference to do so, which would mean giving up Big Ten television money. Coach Frost may think that is a stellar idea, but I am going to go out on a limb and guess the actual decision makers will not agree.

p.s.s. Everyone claiming the Big Ten commissioner has some sort of conflict of interest that should disqualify him or result in his firing, really? So a guy who works at the pleasure of the presidents of the universities that comprise the Big Ten and who does not have a vote in the matter because it is a vote of the university presidents, should be fired because his kid plays in the SEC and that gives him some nefarious reason for letting his bosses vote as provided in the Big Ten's charter? Yeah, that makes perfect sense.

Last edited:
p.s.s. Everyone claiming the Big Ten commissioner has some sort of conflict of interest that should disqualify him or result in his firing, really? So a guy who works at the pleasure of the presidents of the universities that comprise the Big Ten and who does not have a vote in the matter because it is a vote of the university presidents, should be fired because his kid plays in the SEC and that gives him some nefarious reason for letting his bosses vote as provided in the Big Ten's charter? Yeah, that makes perfect sense.
Did you get all that hot air out of your system?
What happens if 14 presidents of universities has a tie 7-7 vote?

Um, there's 5 documented with heart conditions and an IU player who has struggled...and that's before a pair of pads were donned.

This isn't fake or conjured up. Goodness. Mitch Daniels, who is pushing for students being on campus, voted to not play. That tells you right there that it's more serious than you're taking it.

Good G-D, dude... where have you BEEN?

It's the CDC!

AGAIN...!... try following along and clicking on my links.

Better yet, exhibit some intellectual curiosity, instead of following the d@mn crowd!

*sigh*.........

....AGAIN...!....

... and (apparently) because you're too d@mn lazy to look into it yourself, go to the f*#&ing CDC.

Here's a helpful link: C-to-the-D-to-the-FRIGGIN-C

So... do you see a TREND??

Goodness, Bigs.
your link was not a link, but rather a joke and intentional fake link. I called you out and asked politely for you to provide a link for your source of information, and all you do is your typical reply. Rather than providing the source of your info, you resort to your typical name calling. You've become very predictable. if somebody disagrees with you, rather than a civil discussion, you resort to name calling.

I'm sorry i questioned your facts. it's like I was that reporter telling Trump he was ling, and he ended his press conference and walked out.

and the reason I asked for a link, was because I already had a legit link, and the data you spouted seemed to be different than the link I've been following. and it didn't address many of the items I've been following. and then you started using stats from other countries that really don't apply here.

and as per your other statement, I believe many posters will gladly testify that I NEVER follow the DAMM crowd. Just ask NAT if I've ever followed the crowd here. As far as intellectual curiosity goes, I've been the one always speculating about stuff nobody ever wants to think about. Just ask anybody here about my crazy speculations.

I also saw somebody ask about children being super spreaders. so in my next post, I'll gladly and politely provide you some links. and I won't name call or yell.

Um, there's 5 documented with heart conditions and an IU player who has struggled...and that's before a pair of pads were donned.

This isn't fake or conjured up. Goodness. Mitch Daniels, who is pushing for students being on campus, voted to not play. That tells you right there that it's more serious than you're taking it.

I don't know where you getting the idea of it being "fake or conjured up", or that people need to bow to your level of "seriousness".

The numbers are clear: for ages 0-24, the risks are extraordinarily low. Extremely low. That doesn't mean people won't be affected. It simply means the risks are just that: extraordinarily low.

If we're now in the area of eliminating risks, football will never be played again. Nor will soccer. Or... likely many other sports.

Reactions: PetesHammer
I have no doubt that the athletic facilities provide a very safe environment. But you can't expect college athletes to remain in a bubble for the entire football season. Their primary purpose in life is getting a college education, not an NFL contract. As such, they will have to leave those safe athletic facilities on a daily basis. and as college students, do you truly believe they will not socialize with others? and based on this summer, there are a lot of those other young crowd who don't care if they get infected or not, or who they infect. so how are these athletes going to avoid those other non-caring people. Are college students going to wear masks and practice distancing in frats? WHY sure they are, just like they don't join frats to under age drink. and tell that girlfriend to stay 6 feet apart? I've been inside a frat. I doubt they've much changed in 40 years.

your link was not a link, but rather a joke and intentional fake link. I called you out and asked politely for you to provide a link for your source of information, and all you do is your typical reply. Rather than providing the source of your info, you resort to your typical name calling. You've become very predictable. if somebody disagrees with you, rather than a civil discussion, you resort to name calling.

I'm sorry i questioned your facts. it's like I was that reporter telling Trump he was ling, and he ended his press conference and walked out.

and the reason I asked for a link, was because I already had a legit link, and the data you spouted seemed to be different than the link I've been following. and it didn't address many of the items I've been following. and then you started using stats from other countries that really don't apply here.

and as per your other statement, I believe many posters will gladly testify that I NEVER follow the DAMM crowd. Just ask NAT if I've ever followed the crowd here. As far as intellectual curiosity goes, I've been the one always speculating about stuff nobody ever wants to think about. Just ask anybody here about my crazy speculations.

I also saw somebody ask about children being super spreaders. so in my next post, I'll gladly and politely provide you some links. and I won't name call or yell.

You call people names, than whine, p*ss and moan about name calling. Then you make excuses for yourself for doing so.

Good grief, Bigs. I've linked to the FRICKIN' CDC numerous times.

Are you that incapable of clicking links? Of DOING YOUR OWN D@MN RESEARCH?

Are you that intellectually incurious?

Here is an introductory link to the CDC... the trusted authority in the US... summarizing the weekly COVID cases. If this isn't sufficient, please let me know and I'll do some additional research for you. I know you're so busy and all, b*tching about recruiting and finding new linemen for Brohm, so I'll do my best to make it easy for you.

LINK: CDC (not sure if this is what you're looking for, so please let me know if you need me to do additional research for you)

Let me help you out with reading it:

Over the last 6 months, for the age group 0-24 COVID-19 deaths have been 270. All those 270 are precious. 270, out of a total of over 160,000+ fatalities. From birth through age 24... 270.

Are you following?

Translation: this disease does not target the young and healthy. It targets the elderly and the immunocompromised. (I think I've seen that posted somewhere else on this forum.)

I have a strong suspicion this doesn't even matter to you.

If you detect a bit of snarkiness, you would be correct. And, it's well-deserved.

EDIT:

And of all the bullsh*t I've seen about people charging me with making things political, you just did that.

YOU.

WTH does Trump have to do with this?

In a previous post you tried to go all virtuous, and say you and your ilk would NEVER get political... never focus on Republicans.

Yeah... that didn't take long to show your hypocrisy.

Last edited:
I want some football this fall. If the Big Ten presidents vote & Mitch votes No to fall football, he needs to be fired immediately. He’s been around to long to not realize we need football this fall. I won’t watch in the Spring either because I know that’ll show em I mean business
We need folks to be safe and this damned virus gone more than we need football. It very well might be a spring sport and you like the rest of us will be watching it.

Okay, let us think about this for a minute. How many players in the NFL and MLB have already contracted Covid-19? A sizeable number--so much so that per numerous reports MLB is actively working on figuring out how to create a bubble for the playoffs to avoid an outbreak derailing the playoffs and costing it TV revenue. Do you really think MLB would be going through that cost and expense if it did not have to? Further, players in the NFL and MLB have a material financial incentive to follow best practices, because should the season be canceled their respective collective bargaining agreements allow the owners to not pay or significantly reduce their pay as contracts in both leagues are a function of games played. Ergo, if a bunch of adults who potentially stand to loose millions of dollars cannot avoid spreading the virus, do you honestly believe that a bunch of college age males are going to avoid spreading the virus? If you do, please review literally any study about the formation of the prefrontal cortex in males and its relationship to inability to accurately evaluate risk and decision making.

Now, let us address the question of effects. Contrary to what a number of people on this board claim, Covid-19 does have material adverse effects on young and healthy individuals. This is not in dispute. Do younger age groups generally have less severe cases and have a lower risk of mortality? Yes, this is also not in dispute. However, it does not follow that because the risk is lower that the risk is effectively zero or not statistically significant. That line of logic is a perfect example of the proven phenomenon that people materially underweight the risk associated with low probability events and overweight the likelihood of high probability events (see 2020 election).

Further, the view that younger demographic groups have less severe effects or are largely immune has its basis in the early data on the virus from China that has been totally discredited. So much so that a myriad of scientific papers based on such data have been withdrawn, because it is no longer considered to be valid for scientific purposes. Subsequent data has shown that younger individuals tend to have less severe symptoms but are not immune, but have consistently found that the viral load in the nose and mouth of younger individuals is substantially higher than older individuals making them a more efficient spreader of the virus if contracted.

If the virus did not affect young and healthy individuals, why has it been broadly reported by numerous media outlets that at least 5 Big Ten players who have contracted the virus have been diagnosed with myocarditis, which is a known complication from the virus? What is myocarditis? It is a inflammation of the heart muscle--I assume we can all agree that is suboptimal no matter one's age--which often results in sudden death or heart failure. Thus, while I will miss football as much as the next person if the season is postponed, I am not in favor of putting student athletes' lives at risk so that I have something to do on Saturday.

p.s. Everyone thinking Nebraska's threat to play outside the conference is being taken seriously should take the time to read the Big Ten's membership documents. Nebraska would effectively have to remove itself from the conference to do so, which would mean giving up Big Ten television money. Coach Frost may think that is a stellar idea, but I am going to go out on a limb and guess the actual decision makers will not agree.

This may be one of the most intelligent posts on the subject I've seen since this all started.

for the person who wanted a link about children, here are a few. and while they may say the same thing, it should be noted they are not CNN or FOX news. they are NOT FAKE !!! it is also noted I chose these links to stay on the subject. They are all about children and students. If I ask somebody to post a link, it is because my sources have revealed different thoughts. And I want to know the provider of your thoughts. I believe we can all agree different media may apply a different spin on the same issue. I'm not being emotional. I'm just providing information. Maybe instead of quoting something you heard a politician say, or something from one source, my hope is that you take the time to read some of the articles from the links below. these are not FAKE links. and they are not FAKE stories. Perhaps1-2 of you may realize your sources are not being totally forthcoming. and you need more than one source to provide you a more accurate picture of what this virus is all about. And where did I find these links? I found them posted by real people on facebook, and from teachers, and from doctors, and ministers, and from concerned parents.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...SAT4pDRPujRTEA40Cj_0Wdwk62lQsFHImHrAuu4LEgxUE

https://whdh.com/news/floridas-covi...jgkfpj9TeGoPDDMG40K0m5alY090qvOSWz6cJku3pgglM

https://www.kfvs12.com/2020/08/09/n...HzLCGKJGaZOQR3r6IsvjPZ8Gul_5oldFV3k8yOW8XnFtQ

https://www.wpsdlocal6.com/news/gov...ggzG3w6gZINkn6Eus73kRe1Qu3O4rGxeAAtyuLV6i5q1Y

https://www.wpsdlocal6.com/news/97-...G3oywCUfQ039EwOhZ90VNjWmk_Lk2v3y4Tk6BTx-L1T-g

https://www.npr.org/2020/08/08/9004...czNrev1lybYj0g_WK-IEJhs0fJnQQD4e0e197a10xQht4

https://www.washingtonpost.com/educ...kr8oReDQ5FaLk94I79ULcWIdqUTxM32D3WWiTTsqjcFX4

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-new...oVEfirkKQGW6cKhXxx46wJ8hnDWeBl-Xwk1cBnhTy6wNQ

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/08/11/briefing/russia-baltimore-joe-biden-your-tuesday-briefing.html

https://www.firstpost.com/health/ch...ow-on-how-the-virus-infects-them-8682511.html

https://economictimes.indiatimes.co...covid-19-as-we-think/articleshow/77284512.cms

https://www.bbc.com/future/article/20200330-coronavirus-are-children-immune-to-covid-19

I don't know where you getting the idea of it being "fake or conjured up", or that people need to bow to your level of "seriousness".

The numbers are clear: for ages 0-24, the risks are extraordinarily low. Extremely low. That doesn't mean people won't be affected. It simply means the risks are just that: extraordinarily low.

If we're now in the area of eliminating risks, football will never be played again. Nor will soccer. Or... likely many other sports.

again, I'll politely ask you for your source. while people may not die, many have shown some very bad side effects that will remain for a lifetime. is playing football worth ruining a child's life?

We need folks to be safe and this damned virus gone more than we need football. It very well might be a spring sport and you like the rest of us will be watching it.

Coronavirus has been around for over 50 years. It's not "going" anywhere.

There's nothing at all "unsafe" for college athletes to be playing sports.

Unless, of course, we're going to demand zero risk in life. If that's the case, we have a much larger conversation ahead of us, with a lot of illogical points to consider...

again, I'll politely ask you for your source. while people may not die, many have shown some very bad side effects that will remain for a lifetime. is playing football worth ruining a child's life?

Are you paying attention?

I JUST GAVE YOU A LINK. Do you want me to come over and click the link for you?

You're a troll. No, really. You're not to be taken seriously.

Football has been played for generations. Children have been paralyzed and even died while playing it. Where the h*ll have you been?

Are you paying attention?

I JUST GAVE YOU A LINK. Do you want me to come over and click the link for you?

You're a troll. No, really. You're not to be taken seriously.

Football has been played for generations. Children have been paralyzed and even died while playing it. Where the h*ll have you been?

I'm sorry, I clicked on your link and it didn't work. an error message showed up saying no site found. and now you are spouting off more so called facts. Because you provided me a fake link and called me names in your previous reply, you have forced me to also question your source for this new information you provided. I do not believe my request for you to provide a real link is an unreasonable request.

I'm sorry, I clicked on your link and it didn't work. an error message showed up saying no site found. and now you are spouting off more so called facts. Because you provided me a fake link and called me names in your previous reply, you have forced me to also question your source for this new information you provided. I do not believe my request for you to provide a real link is an unreasonable request.

Not sure what to tell you. Operator error? (vbg!)

It works when I click it. It takes you to the CDC. Not Donald Trump. Not Fox News. For you to suggest such a thing is dumb. Really dumb.

Stop with your whining about "calling names". You're not in grade school anymore. You've done it yourself, many times. I don't care about your feelings. Post stupid sh*t, get called on it. That's life. I can't shelter you from it. I won't shelter you from it. Put on your big boy pants.

No, your request for a ... "real link" ... is not unreasonable, aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand I've linked it previously (numerous times) aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand you really need to start exhibiting a bit of intellectual curiosity.

Soon.

Like... now.

Really.

Coronavirus has been around for over 50 years. It's not "going" anywhere.

Well I think this just confirms that you have no idea what you are talking about. "Coronavirus" is not a single virus. It is a classification of viruses. Sars-CoV-2 (the cause of the current COVID-19 pandemic) is a specific coronavirus, and no, it has not been around for 50 years. You can take a wild guess where the 19 comes from. Please find more reputable sources for your arguments and stop spreading false information.

Nick Saban nailed it. Whatever the risk is, these players are safer playing football than they are running around town/campus. To shut down sports yet have a campus fill of young people who have not and will not social distance makes zero sense.

“I want to play, but I want to play for the players’ sake, the value they can create for themselves,” Saban said. “I know I’ll be criticized no matter what I say, that I don’t care about player safety. Look, players are a lot safer with us than they are running around at home. We have around a 2% positive ratio on our team since the Fourth of July. It’s a lot higher than that in society. We act like these guys can’t get this unless they play football. They can get it anywhere, whether they’re in a bar or just hanging out.”

And there’s this stark reality from Trevor Lawrence:

“Football is a safe haven for so many people. We are more likely to get the virus in everyday life than playing football. Having a season also incentivizes players being safe and taking all of the right precautions to try to avoid contracting covid because the season/ teammates safety is on the line,” Lawrence said on Sunday. “Without the season, as we’ve seen already, people will not social distance or wear masks and take the proper precautions.”

Not sure what to tell you. Operator error? (vbg!)

It works when I click it. It takes you to the CDC. Not Donald Trump. Not Fox News. For you to suggest such a thing is dumb. Really dumb.

Stop with your whining about "calling names". You're not in grade school anymore. You've done it yourself, many times. I don't care about your feelings. Post stupid sh*t, get called on it. That's life. I can't shelter you from it. I won't shelter you from it. Put on your big boy pants.

No, your request for a ... "real link" ... is not unreasonable, aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand I've linked it previously (numerous times) aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand you really need to start exhibiting a bit of intellectual curiosity.

Soon.

Like... now.

Really.
hmmmmm, it seems you edited your post after reading mine and badmouthing me. Your CDC link now works.

now how about addressing the total problem rather than just the mortalities. and you've been ignoring that from the start. all you ever talk about is the deaths.

a simple example for you. My sister in law was a nurse. per requirement of her job, she took a flu shot. she didn't die. However, she contracted Multiple Sclerosis from that flu shot. the remainder of her life was ruined. and she could no longer work. and it was proven she contracted MS from that flu shot.

While you focus on the amounts of deaths, I'm looking at the many other effects this virus is causing to the people who didn't die. Yes, they survived death, but like many other diseases, once this disease is in their system, it is not leaving, and could be the cause of many other illnesses. and that, my friend is just as crucial and important as the number of deaths.

and I believe if you read some of the links I've provided ,you will find that children and young adults have helped spread this virus. it's not the old people who are spreading this virus. To stop the spread of this virus, we must change our philosophy concerning the social interaction of our youth and young adults. No they are not at great risk to die. But they are the ones who are spreading this virus. and we have got to change their attitudes. They don't seem to care who they come in contact with or who they give the disease to. There was a story about nursing home of about 100 patients. and it was doing great until one of the attendants brought the virus to the home. and within a week 10 residents were infected. They may or may not have died. But all of their efforts were wasted by that careless attendant. Look at the Cleveland Indians. They were doing great until Plutco decided to go partying. and it will be the same with college football. 75% of the team will practice safe measures, but all it takes is 1-2 social party animals to ruin everything. That's what happened at Rutgers. and that's what easily could happen at Purdue one the semester starts.

I encourage you to research what has happened to the COVID survivors. They are still suffering some of its effects. And many effects have not yet been identified.

I recall a time when Purdue fans all gathered behind one young man, and said his life matters. It seems a shame that now all you say is 270 young people died, and it is what it is. Do you have no compassion for those people who beat death but are still suffering?

My mom died of breast cancer. My wife's mother was a microscopist for the Purdue Cancer Research Center. They have a lot of stats. and stories of many people who survived and beat death. But the truth and fact are that those people who beat cancer and survived, still lived with lingering effects.

so to answer your question, do we live in fear and have everybody stay home? I would say yes with a caveat. What we should have done is practice better social distancing when we shut down, and stopped partying and going to walmart to get toilet paper. we should have vacationed and partied less. We don't have to worry about our senior citizens, they can care for themselves. But we do have to implement and ENFORCE stricter guidelines for our children. In Florida, they still haven't met their safety guidelines, but their Governor has ordered schools to be open. if the federal government has put out guidelines, we need our Governors to have the intelligence to follow them and the balls to enforce them

Nick Saban nailed it. Whatever the risk is, these players are safer playing football than they are running around town/campus. To shut down sports yet have a campus fill of young people who have not and will not social distance makes zero sense.

“I want to play, but I want to play for the players’ sake, the value they can create for themselves,” Saban said. “I know I’ll be criticized no matter what I say, that I don’t care about player safety. Look, players are a lot safer with us than they are running around at home. We have around a 2% positive ratio on our team since the Fourth of July. It’s a lot higher than that in society. We act like these guys can’t get this unless they play football. They can get it anywhere, whether they’re in a bar or just hanging out.”

And there’s this stark reality from Trevor Lawrence:

“Football is a safe haven for so many people. We are more likely to get the virus in everyday life than playing football. Having a season also incentivizes players being safe and taking all of the right precautions to try to avoid contracting covid because the season/ teammates safety is on the line,” Lawrence said on Sunday. “Without the season, as we’ve seen already, people will not social distance or wear masks and take the proper precautions.”

I can agree with everything they said. However they both alluded to the same problem. These football players are very safe in their football facility. But you can't expect all 100+ of them to stay within the confines of those facilities 24/7 without any contact with the outside world. at some point in time they will be required to venture outside their safe haven and God forbid, actually attend a class. or go to a frat party or socialize. and Nick Saban said that outside world is very unsafe. and once they socialize, they will bring that virus back to their safe haven of football.

Who here is going to truthfully say when you went to Purdue that you didn't socialize? and how many times a week did you socialize? Do you believe these athletes are any different?

sure Saban has provided a very safe environment. But he can't keep his entire team in his safe haven. 24/7 and he knows it.

and Lawrence admitted the same thing, without football, he and his friends will have no motivation and will totally disregard any safety guidelines. That's a very poor attitude. Is he really saying the only reason he considers wearing a mask is so he can play football? if TREED was his mom...... Let me repeat that, without a season, he sees no reason to follow any social distancing guidelines. in other words he doesn't care about covid at all, he just wants to play football. and when he's not playing football, the rules will not be followed. at least he's honest.

so that's basically what his non-football playing friends are currently not doing. Once out of the classrooms and into the frats, the masks are off. He knows it, he just won't publically admit it.

I agree. the football facilities are safe. but you just heard the star athlete say without football, nobody cares. that's what he went to college for. forget the degree. he wants to play football.

another COVID problem I just thought of. if football is moved to the Spring, that would require the football players to actually maintain their academic eligibility through to the Spring in order to play. while that's not been a huge problem at Purdue, it presents a lot of problems in the BIG 12 and SEC. Historically both conferences have allowed their star players to play in Bowl games even if they were not academically eligible. Texas Tech's hesiman trophy candidate had a 0.00GPA for his fall semester and still played in a bowl game . Aurburn's philosophy was if a player is academically ineligible, they can still participate in any activity until the next semester starts. nd that also applied to basketball players. there were a few Auburn players who took advantage of that philosophy. However, with Spring ball, they'd have to study in the fall and maintain their grades . sad but true.

ad for that special someone, this is another example of my creative outside the box mentality. I doubt anyone else has raised this issue or even contemplated it's impact on schools that don't care about athlete's academic progress.

Rather than blaming the BIG 10 commish, you need to look in your own house. In a vote of14 BIG 10 Presidents, 12 voted for no fall sports including the Purdue president. If you feel the need to blame somebody, look no further than your own University president.

I can't believe our US President would back the desires of college athletes over the thoughtful and researched decisions made by University Presidents. This was not an easy or quick decision for them to make.

BUT I'm a college QB, and I want to play!!!!!! We're saving your life kid whether you want it to be saved or not.

Doing the math, you say the mortality rate is lower than 1 %. 160,000 deaths/300,000,000 people. So at a football game, if we had 60,000 attend, that would mean only 600 fans would die per game. for a basketball game of 15,000 only 150 fans would die per game. and for a student population of 30,000, only 300 students would die. and this does not account for how many would be hospitalized.

all just so you can have your sports to bet on and watch and cmplainon sports forums about.

if you feel like complaining, . don't waste your time here. go to your University President. he's the guy who pulled the plug on your sports.

and while you complain about no football, the decree was for no Fall sports. and yes, there will be other fall sports and athletes affected. I highly doubt Cross Country will be moved to the Spring. Their sport will be most likely just cancelled. But we on this board don't care about that sport or those athletes, do we?
You are a complete idiot! A football game lasts 3 hrs. The 160,000 deaths are for 5 months and most of those people who died had other serious health issues. Grow a brain! You inferiorite.

Go ahead and email Mitch that - he voted not to play. You can say it all you want, doesn't make it true. It's not solely about the actual kids health either for millionth time. And again, we already have a number of issues that have come up from it with those "extraordinarily low" risk kids. So that's not true either.

Well I think this just confirms that you have no idea what you are talking about. "Coronavirus" is not a single virus. It is a classification of viruses. Sars-CoV-2 (the cause of the current COVID-19 pandemic) is a specific coronavirus, and no, it has not been around for 50 years. You can take a wild guess where the 19 comes from. Please find more reputable sources for your arguments and stop spreading false information.
I'm pretty sure that's his point.

What? Now children are super spreaders? Got a link to anyone saying that? If you’re at risk you should take precautions to keep yourself safe, to ask all the rest of society to shut down for your benefit is selfish and lazy. Shutting down schools and other activities are more harmful than the disease for people less than 20 years old. Boomers are so self centered.
There's a reason why children need to be repeatedly told by their parents to cover their mouths when they sneeze and cough. Have you ever had a baby, toddler, or a young child? They pick stuff off of the floor and stick it in their mouths, lick their hands and fingers, play in the dirt, and pick their noses. Children being super spreaders is just plain common sense. By the way, I'm definitely not a boomer, if that's what you were implying.

Reactions: PUQBMan.
another COVID problem I just thought of. if football is moved to the Spring, that would require the football players to actually maintain their academic eligibility through to the Spring in order to play. while that's not been a huge problem at Purdue, it presents a lot of problems in the BIG 12 and SEC. Historically both conferences have allowed their star players to play in Bowl games even if they were not academically eligible. Texas Tech's hesiman trophy candidate had a 0.00GPA for his fall semester and still played in a bowl game . Aurburn's philosophy was if a player is academically ineligible, they can still participate in any activity until the next semester starts. nd that also applied to basketball players. there were a few Auburn players who took advantage of that philosophy. However, with Spring ball, they'd have to study in the fall and maintain their grades . sad but true.

ad for that special someone, this is another example of my creative outside the box mentality. I doubt anyone else has raised this issue or even contemplated it's impact on schools that don't care about athlete's academic progress.
But.....isn't that what they should be doing? After all, college is a place of academics and higher learning.

Reactions: Wolegib
You are a complete idiot! A football game lasts 3 hrs. The 160,000 deaths are for 5 months and most of those people who died had other serious health issues. Grow a brain! You inferiorite.

and in those 5 months, there have only been several very large gatherings of people. and after those gatherings, their communities became hot spots. I would suggest if a whole lot of football games were to have 60,000 in attendance, you would see the death rate increase exponentially. And while 160,000 represents the total number of deaths over a 5 month period. if you used the death rate from the last month, and applied that number and projected increased rate over the next 5 months, you would see a tremendous amount more deaths in the next 5 months than you did in the previous five.

when calling somebody out and telling them to get a brain your post becomes lot more effective if you yourself could actually spell.

Maybe we should’ve played in South Dakota. They are having around 250,000 bikers gather for a week long annual biking convention. I am sure that is going to help out COVID numbers when they start returning home to their home states.

Reactions: Wolegib
you can call me names behind your internet mask. but you won't engage me in public, nor will you attach your real name in actual correspondence to the real decision makers. I understand your frustration. My priorities in life are different than yours. I went to Purdue based on its academic programs, not its football team. Sometimes it seams as if that's all some of people care about and live for. There are many other things in life besides Purdue football.

and the people who made the decision to shut it down are not liberals, snowflakes, democrats or idiots. They are very intelligent people who placed the lives and health of students over extra-curricular activities. When mitch hired Brohm and gave him that raise and built that new training facility, you all praised him and said he was a genius. But when he canceled your football, you lash out at anybody who agrees with and supports his decision. Mitch hasn't all of a sudden lost his brain. and neither have I.

Lost in all of this is that you won't have cross country or a band or a glee club either. But I guess you don't care about those people do you?

you sound like a Nebraska fan who still wants to play football. You can go back to your BIG 12 conference.

No kidding.

So... the CDC isn't reputable.

Yet, I'm the one who has not idea what I'm talking about.

hmmmmm, it seems you edited your post after reading mine and badmouthing me. Your CDC link now works.

now how about addressing the total problem rather than just the mortalities. and you've been ignoring that from the start. all you ever talk about is the deaths.

a simple example for you. My sister in law was a nurse. per requirement of her job, she took a flu shot. she didn't die. However, she contracted Multiple Sclerosis from that flu shot. the remainder of her life was ruined. and she could no longer work. and it was proven she contracted MS from that flu shot.

While you focus on the amounts of deaths, I'm looking at the many other effects this virus is causing to the people who didn't die. Yes, they survived death, but like many other diseases, once this disease is in their system, it is not leaving, and could be the cause of many other illnesses. and that, my friend is just as crucial and important as the number of deaths.

and I believe if you read some of the links I've provided ,you will find that children and young adults have helped spread this virus. it's not the old people who are spreading this virus. To stop the spread of this virus, we must change our philosophy concerning the social interaction of our youth and young adults. No they are not at great risk to die. But they are the ones who are spreading this virus. and we have got to change their attitudes. They don't seem to care who they come in contact with or who they give the disease to. There was a story about nursing home of about 100 patients. and it was doing great until one of the attendants brought the virus to the home. and within a week 10 residents were infected. They may or may not have died. But all of their efforts were wasted by that careless attendant. Look at the Cleveland Indians. They were doing great until Plutco decided to go partying. and it will be the same with college football. 75% of the team will practice safe measures, but all it takes is 1-2 social party animals to ruin everything. That's what happened at Rutgers. and that's what easily could happen at Purdue one the semester starts.

I encourage you to research what has happened to the COVID survivors. They are still suffering some of its effects. And many effects have not yet been identified.

I recall a time when Purdue fans all gathered behind one young man, and said his life matters. It seems a shame that now all you say is 270 young people died, and it is what it is. Do you have no compassion for those people who beat death but are still suffering?

My mom died of breast cancer. My wife's mother was a microscopist for the Purdue Cancer Research Center. They have a lot of stats. and stories of many people who survived and beat death. But the truth and fact are that those people who beat cancer and survived, still lived with lingering effects.

so to answer your question, do we live in fear and have everybody stay home? I would say yes with a caveat. What we should have done is practice better social distancing when we shut down, and stopped partying and going to walmart to get toilet paper. we should have vacationed and partied less. We don't have to worry about our senior citizens, they can care for themselves. But we do have to implement and ENFORCE stricter guidelines for our children. In Florida, they still haven't met their safety guidelines, but their Governor has ordered schools to be open. if the federal government has put out guidelines, we need our Governors to have the intelligence to follow them and the balls to enforce them

No, I did NOT edit my post, the link didn't change, it was always the same.

If I EDIT a post, I generally put that at the end in "EDIT", you goofball.

I'm not ignoring ANY "total problem". You simply wish to move the goalposts.

There are many viruses (influenza, included) which have lasting effects.

You can go ahead and live in fear. Stop demanding everyone else do the same.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT