ADVERTISEMENT

Any recruiting updates?

Welcome aboard!!!!!

Finally, some positive news. They must be updating the recruit list to the right as it has disappeared.

Doesn't look like to much action on 4 Star Cameron Williams or 4 star JJ weaver. No visit on other 4 star WR Milton Wright.

Looking at visits David Bell and Wandale Robinson showing most interest out of the other 4 stars.

Wondering who will be next to commit ?

Karliftas tweeted at 9:21 . He deleted it within a few minutes. I took a screen shot but don’t know how to share it. I tried to retweet it but it was gone. It had 8 likes before it was deleted but it wouldn’t let me see who liked it. Think something may be happening. I believe Gibson commits tomorrow, so he is a possibility. Not sure if it is a smoke signal or not, but it got my attention. It was gone so quick, some people might have missed it.

edit: emojis didn’t show up. It was train train train eyes.

Reactions: Gary Boiler
Karliftas tweeted at 9:21 . He deleted it within a few minutes. I took a screen shot but don’t know how to share it. I tried to retweet it but it was gone. It had 8 likes before it was deleted but it wouldn’t let me see who liked it. Think something may be happening. I believe Gibson commits tomorrow, so he is a possibility. Not sure if it is a smoke signal or not, but it got my attention. It was gone so quick, some people might have missed it.

edit: emojis didn’t show up. It was train train train eyes.

Gibson commits Wednesday. Don't think GK would spoil his commitment early. Bell was here over the weekend, maybe he bumped his timeline???

Highly doubtful it’s Bell.
Agree. Bell has an official for the Iowa game in November. My guess is he commits to Purdue on the Sunday after the game to Purdue. Word is that he really enjoyed the time spent with GK this past game and really enjoyed the atmosphere the night game provided. Didn't hurt that he got to see Purdue sling the ball around to a bunch of different targets who impacted the game.

Gibson commits Wednesday. Don't think GK would spoil his commitment early. Bell was here over the weekend, maybe he bumped his timeline???

He deleted the post and it wasn’t specific. My guess is that it is related to recruitment because he deleted it. I know Gibson has his announcement planned soon so it made the most sense on our speculation. In fact, he is the only major target that has a decision outlined in the immediate future. Purdue got the last word with him, but I know he has been a Wisconsin lean for a long time. It also didn’t come out through the usual smoke signal channel either. It could be nothing... could be cheering on the women’s soccer/volleyball teams, but then why delete it almost immediately?

It could have been Bell saying Purdue is in the lead for him, he gave a few interviewers really talking up Purdue and how he enjoyed himself. But, Bell seems to be in no rush.

I haven’t heard anything from Weaver in a while but I thought he was waiting til November.

Also, sleeper pick could be Kyle Jornigan, OT, on 7/3 said he was getting close. Down to Kentucky, Ohio, and Purdue. Not sure we are taking another olinemen but he seems to be very good, so maybe we would.

I am not sure on Graham’s timeline. Haven’t hear much from him. He did just post a picture on twitter with his friend, both in Purdue gear on a visit. Think he is friends with Grant. Purdue has a real good chance at him.

Either way... it seems like a very good sign as the bat signals usually are. Especially given how close Gibson is to his announcement. There are still quite a few guys I hope Purdue is able to land. Checking one of the list would be very nice.

Also, sleeper pick could be Kyle Jornigan, OT, on 7/3 said he was getting close. Down to Kentucky, Ohio, and Purdue. Not sure we are taking another olinemen but he seems to be very good, so maybe we would.

My thoughts on Kyle Jornigan would be that Brohm would definitely take him if he wants to come here. The 247Sports Composite has him rated the #31 OG in the class at 320lbs (Rivals has him as a 294lb OT). If he commits he would be the highest rated true freshman OL recruit we have gotten in a while. Ratings are not everything but he would come in with the size that would allow him to get playing time early if he has the skills and discipline to work hard.

Reactions: Summy1
My thoughts on Kyle Jornigan would be that Brohm would definitely take him if he wants to come here. The 247Sports Composite has him rated the #31 OG in the class at 320lbs (Rivals has him as a 294lb OT). If he commits he would be the highest rated true freshman OL recruit we have gotten in a while. Ratings are not everything but he would come in with the size that would allow him to get playing time early if he has the skills and discipline to work hard.

I have read he plays with a nasty streak, you you want on the Oline, especially in the interior. I am guessing he would play guard, at first, out of need. He has the size to slide in and play quickly. McKenna is going to be very good. He is the best offensive lineman coach has landed so far.

I haven’t read anything on Jornigan other than he is down to 3 and they are Purdue, Kentucky, and Ohio. We lost a guard commit last year and the only current guard is like 6’8 and doesn’t move or pull very well. Boetang was in the mix for us as well, but I don’t think he has trimmed his list down much and he is another tackle.

Gibson has a time table. Tomorrow at 7pm I believe. Jornigan was said to be close, but no mention of any kind of deadline. Those would be the two best guesses if the tweet was indeed a bat signal for a recruit giving their word (which we saw how that worked it with Young so take it for what it’s worth).

I was happy to see that we had Class of 2020 OT John Young on campus recently. We need to snag a few really talented O-line and D-line recruits in 2020. Another beast of an OT is 2020 Chad Lindberg. I know some folks close to hus highschool program who say that in additiin to being a great football player, he is a great kid and exceptional student. I don't know what our chances are with him as it seems like every program has offered him.

Reactions: StickPurdue
So Gibson wasn't the smoke signal. Wonder who it is.
maybe he was, and he found out he changed his mind. so the smoke signal was quickly extinguished. We never did receive that other poster saying a commitment was coming.

I strongly believe when competing against BIG name programs for elite players that winning is a lot bigger factor then being shown the opportunity for immediate playing time. An elite player expects to play immediately no matter what the school is. Kentucky is 3-0 and probably bowl bound. I hate to say it, but I believe it does make a difference.

maybe he was, and he found out he changed his mind. so the smoke signal was quickly extinguished. We never did receive that other poster saying a commitment was coming.

I strongly believe when competing against BIG name programs for elite players that winning is a lot bigger factor then being shown the opportunity for immediate playing time. An elite player expects to play immediately no matter what the school is. Kentucky is 3-0 and probably bowl bound. I hate to say it, but I believe it does make a difference.

He went to uk. That’s a shit program.

Players look at more than records

Reactions: Ignacious McNutt

I live just a few miles from Springfield Ohio. It’s a big deal for him to go to Kentucky because it’s more than just his coach and those family ties. A player from neighboring yellow Springs high school who was playing basketball, (Ahmad Wagner) at Iowa the last couple years is now playing wide receiver at Kentucky after transferring there a few months ago. No doubt those two know each other as well. 2+ years ago there was quite a few local kids who committed to Kentucky over a whole bunch of power schools including Purdue which we will be a power school very soon!
Best of luck to Mr. Gibson, he would not have been a good fit for us if he did not want to be here so onto the next commitment that takes us to the promised land with CJB!

I'm certainly no fan of UK, but I'm curious if there are specifics behind your comment or rather a dislike of their program in general?
First, to think that players look at records in the current year as a significant piece of their decision is completely asinine. The recruiting process is a multi year thing. Starting 2-0 isnt going to sway them.
Second, the program is sub .500 in its history.
Third, Stoops is 29-36 there overall, 13-28 in Conference.
They are a bottom feeder in the SEC

Reactions: PaBoiler78

While you may look at more than records, many players don't. Don't assume. I've visited U.K. Several times for track meets. It's a nice community and a nice campus. Admittedly basketball is king, but it's other athletic facilities are nice. And while it's academic programs are not close to the level Purdue offers, how many high school athletes with aspirations of playing in the NFL really want an outstanding engineering or pharmacy degree?

I totally believe when you start recruiting against other power schools rather than the MAC, Winning and going to a bowl game are huge factors. And many athletes like a big city atmosphere verses West Lafayette. My son is an athlete. He turned down an opportunity to get a degree in accounting from the University of Illinois - one of our country's premier business schools to go to SIU and compete for their track team and also take a much easier academic major in sports administration. Not everyone or every athlete wants a Purdue degree. They just want a path to get where they want to go. And Kentucky offers that path. While they may not be the greatest football around, they do play against the best football teams, and he will receive plenty of playing time and also exposure.

I wish him well. I would love to have him at Purdue. But it comes off as sour grapes and homerism when people on this forum are constantly bashing other universities. every school that is a part of the BIG 10 is a great university. I was a part of the staff at Auburn. While it's not known for its academics, I busted my tail off as did many other professors providing students the best college education possible. And I was a lot better than my Purdue Chemistry 115 professor who was more interested in his published book and writings than he was about teaching.

Kentucky is 3-0! If Purdue were 3-0, I'm quite sure these elite athletes considering Purdue would have committed by now. Purdue has competed against Kentucky in many recruiting battles. I'm unsure if we competed against them on the field, who would win. The same applies to basketball and also track.

Reactions: FearTheTrain
While you may look at more than records, many players don't. Don't assume. I've visited U.K. Several times for track meets. It's a nice community and a nice campus. Admittedly basketball is king, but it's other athletic facilities are nice. And while it's academic programs are not close to the level Purdue offers, how many high school athletes with aspirations of playing in the NFL really want an outstanding engineering or pharmacy degree?

I totally believe when you start recruiting against other power schools rather than the MAC, Winning and going to a bowl game are huge factors. And many athletes like a big city atmosphere verses West Lafayette. My son is an athlete. He turned down an opportunity to get a degree in accounting from the University of Illinois - one of our country's premier business schools to go to SIU and compete for their track team and also take a much easier academic major in sports administration. Not everyone or every athlete wants a Purdue degree. They just want a path to get where they want to go. And Kentucky offers that path. While they may not be the greatest football around, they do play against the best football teams, and he will receive plenty of playing time and also exposure.

I wish him well. I would love to have him at Purdue. But it comes off as sour grapes and homerism when people on this forum are constantly bashing other universities. every school that is a part of the BIG 10 is a great university. I was a part of the staff at Auburn. While it's not known for its academics, I busted my tail off as did many other professors providing students the best college education possible. And I was a lot better than my Purdue Chemistry 115 professor who was more interested in his published book and writings than he was about teaching.

Kentucky is 3-0! If Purdue were 3-0, I'm quite sure these elite athletes considering Purdue would have committed by now. Purdue has competed against Kentucky in many recruiting battles. I'm unsure if we competed against them on the field, who would win. The same applies to basketball and also track.

You tell me not to assume, yet you are basing your entire argument on your own assumptions.

Players look at the system and the coach more than they do the current year's record.

In Gibson's case, his coach went to UK, they were his leader all SUMMER and one of his close friends is on their team.

First, to think that players look at records in the current year as a significant piece of their decision is completely asinine. The recruiting process is a multi year thing. Starting 2-0 isnt going to sway them.
Second, the program is sub .500 in its history.
Third, Stoops is 29-36 there overall, 13-28 in Conference.
They are a bottom feeder in the SEC

If you are going to use that analogy, look at Purdue's last 10 years and the bowl games they attended, and their record. Tiller, Hope, Hazell and now Brohm. The case could be made that Purdue is a bottom feeder school of the BIG 10 for the past decade. Who is actually worse than Purdue? Illinois? Indiana? Purdue has not historically been in the top half of the BIG 10 in a very long time. And even when successful, our Bowl record/participation suggests we'll participate in a lesser bowl at best.

It's time to take off your gold tinted glasses.

If you are going to use that analogy, look at Purdue's last 10 years and the bowl games they attended, and their record. Tiller, Hope, Hazell and now Brohm. The case could be made that Purdue is a bottom feeder school of the BIG 10 for the past decade. Who is actually worse than Purdue? Illinois? Indiana? Purdue has not historically been in the top half of the BIG 10 in a very long time. And even when successful, our Bowl record/participation suggests we'll participate in a lesser bowl at best.

It's time to take off your gold tinted glasses.

Of course we are, someone asked why i said UK was a shit program. I told them.

If youre accusing me of having gold tinted glasses, you must not read my posts much. Youre the first to accuse me of that.

You tell me not to assume, yet you are basing your entire argument on your own assumptions.

Players look at the system and the coach more than they do the current year's record.

In Gibson's case, his coach went to UK, they were his leader all SUMMER and one of his close friends is on their team.

I based my post on facts and logic. High school coaches are typically very big influences on an athlete's future decision. Friends are also big factors. Nightlife is a big factor. Bowl games are factors. Making the pros are factors. Academics is not a great factor for most elite athletes. Please try to explain what factor Purdue had the edge over Kentucky?

I'm tired of people on this board bashing other schools based on nothing but your opinion. Purdue is not the greatest school in the world. If I could have afforded it, I would have attended Northwestern. But I couldn't. Purdue gave me more financial aid. Weighing all the factors, I chose Purdue. Gibson did the same as have many other elite athletes who chose to go to other schools. Our small town of Carterville had an elite TE last year. He chose to go to Georgia. He received a lot of pressure to go to Alabama. He didn't even consider Purdue.

So stop bashing other schools and acting like Purdue is the greatest place on Earth and the most logical place any football player would ever want to go to. You claim I assume too much? I'm just responding to your comments and providing you a mirror.

Drew Brees led Purdue to the Rose Bowl, not Coach Tiller. Without Brees, what would Tiller's claim to fame be?

I based my post on facts and logic. High school coaches are typically very big influences on an athlete's future decision. Friends are also big factors. Nightlife is a big factor. Bowl games are factors. Making the pros are factors. Academics is not a great factor for most elite athletes. Please try to explain what factor Purdue had the edge over Kentucky?

I'm tired of people on this board bashing other schools based on nothing but your opinion. Purdue is not the greatest school in the world. If I could have afforded it, I would have attended Northwestern. But I couldn't. Purdue gave me more financial aid. Weighing all the factors, I chose Purdue. Gibson did the same as have many other elite athletes who chose to go to other schools. Our small town of Carterville had an elite TE last year. He chose to go to Georgia. He received a lot of pressure to go to Alabama. He didn't even consider Purdue.

So stop bashing other schools and acting like Purdue is the greatest place on Earth and the most logical place any football player would ever want to go to. You claim I assume too much? I'm just responding to your comments and providing you a mirror.

Drew Brees led Purdue to the Rose Bowl, not Coach Tiller. Without Brees, what would Tiller's claim to fame be?
umad bro? You didnt read my post at all did you?

Great players make great coaches.

He deleted the post and it wasn’t specific. My guess is that it is related to recruitment because he deleted it. I know Gibson has his announcement planned soon so it made the most sense on our speculation. In fact, he is the only major target that has a decision outlined in the immediate future. Purdue got the last word with him, but I know he has been a Wisconsin lean for a long time. It also didn’t come out through the usual smoke signal channel either. It could be nothing... could be cheering on the women’s soccer/volleyball teams, but then why delete it almost immediately?

It could have been Bell saying Purdue is in the lead for him, he gave a few interviewers really talking up Purdue and how he enjoyed himself. But, Bell seems to be in no rush.

I haven’t heard anything from Weaver in a while but I thought he was waiting til November.

I am not sure on Graham’s timeline. Haven’t hear much from him. He did just post a picture on twitter with his friend, both in Purdue gear on a visit. Think he is friends with Grant. Purdue has a real good chance at him.

Either way... it seems like a very good sign as the bat signals usually are. Especially given how close Gibson is to his announcement. There are still quite a few guys I hope Purdue is able to land. Checking one of the list would be very nice.

I think Bell will eventually commit to Purdue given how much the ball is being spread around this season with experienced QB's and having Moore, Sparks, and himself wouldn't really allow for much double teaming of one without getting torched. It's one thing to go to a place and be a #1 but without legitimate #2 or #3 options that allows you to be doubled most of the game...its another to go to a place where you know you likely can't be double teamed and will get lots of either zone to work through or man to man coverage.

I believe Bell understands that concept and the Brohm's have sold him on that account when tabbed with Moore and Sparks.

I think Bell will eventually commit to Purdue given how much the ball is being spread around this season with experienced QB's and having Moore, Sparks, and himself wouldn't really allow for much double teaming of one without getting torched. It's one thing to go to a place and be a #1 but without legitimate #2 or #3 options that allows you to be doubled most of the game...its another to go to a place where you know you likely can't be double teamed and will get lots of either zone to work through or man to man coverage.

I believe Bell understands that concept and the Brohm's have sold him on that account when tabbed with Moore and Sparks.

Purdue signed some very good WRs in the ‘18 class to go with Moore. They also have TJ committed for this year. Bell is set up to come in and get good numbers. Big reliable target.

I think Purdue really needs another player like Robinson. Somebody with gamebreak speed that doesn’t allow people to cheat off of them and can’t double up because Moore is out there too. I think of Bell picks Purdue (hopefully before the early signing period), we are more likely to land Robinson. It may be selfish of me, but I would love to see that core on the same team. That’s a 99 on offense. Just need to bring the Oline along and that would be one of the best offenses in the nation.

Gibson was an obvious want. Highly ranked kid with ready made size at one of the biggest needs currently. But I consider Bell, Robinson, and Weaver higher priorities.

Reactions: 72Boiler
ADVERTISEMENT