ADVERTISEMENT

Any Horvath comparison to Alstott? Forgive me as I'm not familiar

MilwaukeeBoilerFan

All-American
May 29, 2001
I've seen only a clip or two and an article from Spring game roundup. Just want to know if the young man can pound the rock into a pile and move it like Alstott could do time and time again.

I have not seen him play enough to answer that question. Also, until he gets into actual game situations, it is hard to know how he will respond. However, I would be happy if he only produces half as much as Alstott, especially being a walk on.

I'll echo what was already posted: It's totally unfair to AH to compare him to Alstott.

Both are big, physical backs with the same number (although, if memory serves, MA wore a different number his FR year).

AH might have a faster forty and higher vertical, but I'm not sure about that.

If he continues to develop, AH could be a really intriguing weapon.

I'll echo what was already posted: It's totally unfair to AH to compare him to Alstott.

Both are big, physical backs with the same number (although, if memory serves, MA wore a different number his FR year).

Comparison wasn't intended other than size and hard to bring down. Agree, Alstott was a man among boys and I've seen him play at Purdue and at Tampa Bay game as well. He was fun to watch. AH might carve out a nice niche if he can bring the power and cutting ability to the games.

Reactions: Purdue85
What is the need to compare a walk-on to Purdue's all time leading rusher?
why not? It's for fun and discussion. No harm is done to either player, in fact isn't it flattering to compare someone to one of Purdue's greatest players of all time?

why not? It's for fun and discussion. No harm is done to either player, in fact isn't it flattering to compare someone to one of Purdue's greatest players of all time?

Well, any two players can be compared, I guess. No harm is done, you're correct, but it's not a useful exercise for anybody involved either.

"Hey, I haven't seen Griffin Alstott play yet... can he sling it like Brees?"

Griffin Alstott has left Purdue. (sad to say, cause he is a great kid . . . but he probably would never have seen the field)

Mike is built low to the ground 6-1, 240. I saw him the first day pushing the sled in the indoor facility and thought, "what is so great about this guy?" Actually, I think he was only rated 2 *s. Obviously, he worked hard in the weight room and on the field to become what he is.

Horvath is 6-3, 235 but appears much taller to me. He seems to run with a great deal of power, once he gets a head of steam. During spring ball, he got a ton of reps, due to the injuries to all of our backs. I couldn't believe that he was a walk-on, since he would play at a number of other schools.

https://purdue.rivals.com/news/summer-stint-on-defense-didn-t-stick-for-purdue-running-back

Last edited:

Alstott did wear a different number freshman year. I can't remember what it was, but #40 (Zgonina??) was one of the best players on the team at the time. I bought the #40 jersey my sophomore year - MA's freshman - and was thrilled then when Alstott switched to 40 the following year.

Until Horvath can prove that he can pull an F150 PU truck up John Wooden Av from Mackey up to the R Parking lot above Ross Ade, he is still a poser. I thought this was an urban legend until I witnessed Allstott do it one summer afternoon. Not a publicity stunt as I saw no photographers present-ropes and harness only-pre-bungee cords, I guess.

Reactions: ImRonBurgandy?
Until Horvath can prove that he can pull an F150 PU truck up John Wooden Av from Mackey up to the R Parking lot above Ross Ade, he is still a poser. I thought this was an urban legend until I witnessed Allstott do it one summer afternoon. Not a publicity stunt as I saw no photographers present-ropes and harness only-pre-bungee cords, I guess.
I'd settle for a Marv Hubbard type comparison.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT