ADVERTISEMENT

Another receiver who ran a 4.6 flew by everyone

Born Boiler

Junior
Dec 6, 2006
And, no, he wasn’t named Jerry Rice. Jerry ran a 4.71.

With Purdue having its Pro Day today, as Bell and Big George and others hope to improve draft stocks, I’d like to pass along another great example of how 40s and drills can fail to project future greatness in actual games.

I moved to Texas just in time to watch the prep career of another guy who ran 4.6 in high school, where as a two-way senior he rushed for over 2,000 yards and made 18 interceptions in a state championship runner-up season.

He was converted in college from back to receiver … and he became the all-time leading receiver in the history of LSU, the SEC and the New Orleans Saints.

Eric Martin held the Saints’ records until a fellow Texan, who was born on the same day I began work there, helped Marques Colston pass him.

Some people just have to play to be seen. Ask Eric. And Drew Brees, too.

Reactions: BSIT and Zaphod_B
Wow! To fathom the scale & magnitude of Jerry Rice and Marques Colston both being great and having 4.6 or above speed. World Class speed doesn't mean greatness. Exceptional route running and getting separation are better characteristics for success than top end speed.

Reactions: DAG10
Wow! To fathom the scale & magnitude of Jerry Rice and Marques Colston both being great and having 4.6 or above speed. World Class speed doesn't mean greatness. Exceptional route running and getting separation are better characteristics for success than top end speed.

And breaking tackles.

Actually I was talking about Eric Martin -- who I knew in 1979 and 1980 and had 8,161 yards with the Saints and Chiefs from 1985 through 1994 -- but Marques Colston wasn’t much faster … ran a 4.5.

Look. All you got is ad hominem attacks.

David bell got caught from behind by big ten safeties.

David Bell led the Big Ten in receptions, finished second in yards per game and won the Big Ten’s award as the conference’s receiver of the year.

Meanwhile you’ve led a fan forum in self-absorbed ignorance, although one must note your consistency.

Reactions: Inspector100
David Bell led the Big Ten in receptions, finished second in yards per game and won the Big Ten’s award as the conference’s receiver of the year.

Meanwhile you’ve led a fan forum in self-absorbed ignorance, although one must note your consistency.
College stats. I think he’s great. One of the three greatest offensive
Players I’ve seen at Purdue. There also college stats. I get you struggle to take the fanboi glasses off.

also, trotting out Jerry rices 40 is just plumb dumb. Dude played 30 years ago when players were slower and the running game dominated.

Bell is currently 10th in odds to be the first WR off the board, so in theory he may be the 10th off the board. Garrett Wilson 1, Olave 5. If this year is deep in anything it may be WRs. Over/under 5.5 to be taken in the 1st round. Probably see Bell go early 3rd.

Reactions: Born Boiler
Players I’ve seen at Purdue. There also college stats. I get you struggle to take the fanboi glasses off.

also, trotting out Jerry rices 40 is just plumb dumb. Dude played 30 years ago when players were slower and the running game dominated.

First you claim Big Ten safeties caught Bell from behind, but then you dismiss Bell factually leading the Big Ten as “college stats.” You tried a standard double-team but got burned. Again.

Jerry Rice … Jim Brown, Gale Sayers, Walter Payton … you think guys like them just don’t compare to today’s NFL. Well, you’re alone in that camp. Coach wants to see you. And bring your playbook.

Otherwise the NFL needs to cancel Canton and rename the Lombardi Trophy. Dead since 1970. Way too old. Better change it to the Kingsbury Krown.

Jeff Brohm, who played with Jerry Rice with the 49ers, compared David Bell to Jerry Rice. Is Brohm dumb, too?

Jeff Brohm, who played with Jerry Rice with the 49ers, compared David Bell to Jerry Rice. Is Brohm dumb, too?
Brohm brought it up in a different context than op. Op brought up rices speed numbers to show that it wont matter for bell. I disagree. Especially when you consider his very and broad jump.

Brohm brought it up in a different context than op. Op brought up rices speed numbers to show that it wont matter for bell. I disagree. Especially when you consider his very and broad jump.

The opening post actually “brought up” Eric Martin, who finished his NFL career as his team’s career record-holder with the same assets as Bell. Alluded to in passing was Jerry Rice, elsewhere unquestioned as an all-time great, but one who timed slower. The latter comparison has been cited by many, including Jeff Brohm, and all in the exact same context, at least for those who read -- some do overcome.

So, we have two documented comparisons made by people who personally observed both sets of players, and then we have a self-defeating know-it-all who seeks only to cite the obscure in ongoing attempts to diminish actual performance and game-proven abilities.

If Bell missed passes the way gnat swats and misses points, we wouldn’t be talking about either.

The opening post actually “brought up” Eric Martin, who finished his NFL career as his team’s career record-holder with the same assets as Bell. Alluded to in passing was Jerry Rice, elsewhere unquestioned as an all-time great, but one who timed slower. The latter comparison has been cited by many, including Jeff Brohm, and all in the exact same context, at least for those who read -- some do overcome.

So, we have two documented comparisons made by people who personally observed both sets of players, and then we have a self-defeating know-it-all who seeks only to cite the obscure in ongoing attempts to diminish actual performance and game-proven abilities.

If Bell missed passes the way gnat swats and misses points, we wouldn’t be talking about either.
Your comparisons are 30-40 years old dude and you think i cite the obscure? You still think Fran Tarkington comps are relevant too?

You got any comps in the modern NFL smart guy or are you only capable of name calling? I eagerly await your clown response.

It might help to comp a receiver who played in the last quarter century.

How about the 2021 NFL reception leader, receiving yardage leader, receiving TD leader, offensive POY, and Super Bowl MPV?

He is 6' 1 5/8", ran a 4.62 at the combine, and was drafted in the 3rd round.

Your comparisons are 30-40 years old dude and you think i cite the obscure? You still think Fran Tarkington comps are relevant too?

You got any comps in the modern NFL smart guy or are you only capable of name calling? I eagerly await your clown response.

While the old NFL adds new David Bell, gnat won’t get well from catching hell.

We’d tell you to stick a Cooper Kupp up it, but your big giant head is in the way.

It might help to comp a receiver who played in the last quarter century.

How about the 2021 NFL reception leader, receiving yardage leader, receiving TD leader, offensive POY, and Super Bowl MPV?

He is 6' 1 5/8", ran a 4.62 at the combine, and was drafted in the 3rd round.

Just as I was about to say. It does help for those with the life span of a gnat.

While the old NFL adds new David Bell, gnat won’t get well from catching hell.

We’d tell you to stick a Cooper Kupp up it, but your big giant head is in the way.
So he will drop to the third round like Kupp? Thats about where i thought he would go.

FYI - Kupp had a better 40 and a better shuttle.

So he will drop to the third round like Kupp? Thats about where i thought he would go.

FYI - Kupp had a better 40 and a better shuttle.

Yeah, 4.62 vs. 4.65 is absolutely huge. As big as all Texas. Like some heads that are all hat and no cattle.

Not that there’s anything wrong with that.

Yeah, 4.62 vs. 4.65 is absolutely huge. As big as all Texas. Like some heads that are all hat and no cattle.

Kupp was far and away better than Bell in the agility testing. His athletic profile as a whole is markedly better than Bell.

Look, we all love the guy, but we're talking about like a 30th percentile athlete here. It's going to be tough for him and it's not smart to project major productivity in the NFL at this point.

S
Kupp was far and away better than Bell in the agility testing. His athletic profile as a whole is markedly better than Bell.

Look, we all love the guy, but we're talking about like a 30th percentile athlete here. It's going to be tough for him and it's not smart to project major productivity in the NFL at this point.
but my feels??? Lol.

Why not? He has some of the best route running and hands in the draft this year. He’s tough and highly-productive.

You sound like Al Davis who only went by 40 times and often drafted headcases and guys who didn’t have good hands. “By God, he could fly down the track though”.

Why not? He has some of the best route running and hands in the draft this year. He’s tough and highly-productive.

You sound like Al Davis who only went by 40 times and often drafted headcases and guys who didn’t have good hands. “By God, he could fly down the track though”.
I think the issue will be getting open against man coverage. He didn’t really separate from college corners

he might end up playing in the slot like Jarvis.

S

but my feels??? Lol.

For remedial readers, we again must repeat the opening that this is meant to present “another great example of how 40s and drills can fail to project future greatness in actual games.”

In other words, critics can end up eating theirs. And for you, we’ll make sure of it.

For those who can’t look back beyond their own cut-off noses, I also saw Boyd Dowler and Sonny Randle catch on. Saw Larry Wilson make interceptions with two broken hands in casts. By comparison, Jerry Rice is a kid.

But I cited someone I knew and personally observed through high school and the NFL, someone who set NFL team records that were broken only with the help of someone who we all know was an all-time great who also overcame naysayers, including several fools here.

Ever watch an NFL franchise’s career record-setter from the time he was a kid? I can point to Eric Martin and Simon Fletcher. Perhaps one fine day you too can claim having witnessed someone’s rise from prep to pro greatness. Perhaps Bell and Karlaftis. Certainly not your own.

For remedial readers, we again must repeat the opening that this is meant to present “another great example of how 40s and drills can fail to project future greatness in actual games.”

In other words, critics can end up eating theirs. And for you, we’ll make sure of it.

For those who can’t look back beyond their own cut-off noses, I also saw Boyd Dowler and Sonny Randle catch on. Saw Larry Wilson make interceptions with two broken hands in casts. By comparison, Jerry Rice is a kid.

But I cited someone I knew and personally observed through high school and the NFL, someone who set NFL team records that were broken only with the help of someone who we all know was an all-time great who also overcame naysayers, including several fools here.

Ever watch an NFL franchise’s career record-setter from the time he was a kid? I can point to Eric Martin and Simon Fletcher. Perhaps one fine day you too can claim having witnessed someone’s rise from prep to pro greatness. Perhaps Bell and Karlaftis. Certainly not your own.
Well I sat next to Anthony Spencer is a few classes in high school so obviously I know what I'm talking about

Good lord, if you saw those guys play, im impressed you can access a computer.

No one said Bell wouldnt play in the NFL. Also, Hud and i have both said 40 time isnt the only indicator here. Youre ignoring that and resorting to names since you dont have much else.

I think the issue will be getting open against man coverage. He didn’t really separate from college corners

he might end up playing in the slot like Jarvis.
How many career catches did he have in 3 years at Purdue? Couldn’t get open? You’ve got to be kidding. He’s the kind of WR who ends up having a productive 10+ year NFL career.

Good lord, if you saw those guys play, im impressed you can access a computer.

No one said Bell wouldnt play in the NFL. Also, Hud and i have both said 40 time isnt the only indicator here. Youre ignoring that and resorting to names since you dont have much else.

And you have what?

How many career catches did he have in 3 years at Purdue? Couldn’t get open? You’ve got to be kidding. He’s the kind of WR who ends up having a productive 10+ year NFL career.
Read what i said. He didnt separate. I didnt say he dint get open at purdue. Try again?

And you have what?
1) Combine results that show some question about explosiveness (not just me, several articles out there)
2) Ability to separate my fandom from what the NFL scouts will see (i know several, although they are bengal scouts, so...)
3) I stayed at a holiday inn last night.

Read what i said. He didnt separate. I didnt say he dint get open at purdue. Try again?

Gosh, how on earth did he ever manage to finish second in the Big Ten in receiving yards, with all that inability to separate? Just think how bad the rest of the league must’ve been.

He used route running and agility to get separation routinely. He has excellent body control.

It seems like what you consider separation and what I consider separation aren’t the same thing. To me, separation is being able to create space to make catches. To you it’s the ability to run away from people? How often did you see him get pinned at the LOS by DBs? (Rarely, if at all.)

1) Combine results that show some question about explosiveness (not just me, several articles out there)
2) Ability to separate my fandom from what the NFL scouts will see (i know several, although they are bengal scouts, so...)
3) I stayed at a holiday inn last night.

Numbers that matter … receptions … yards.

Gosh, how on earth did he ever manage to finish second in the Big Ten in receiving yards, with all that inability to separate? Just think how bad the rest of the league must’ve been.
1) He caught a lot of quick routes that benefitted from receiver cushion
2) Certain teams ran zone on us
3) He caught a lot of 50/50 balls in tight coverage
Numbers that matter … receptions … yards.
How did Taylor Stubblefield do in the pros? How about Standeford? How about Stratton?

1) He caught a lot of quick routes that benefitted from receiver cushion
2) Certain teams ran zone on us
3) He caught a lot of 50/50 balls in tight coverage

How did Taylor Stubblefield do in the pros? How about Standeford? How about Stratton?

Quick routes for someone so slow? Beat zones? 50-50 balls? Is that all legal?

One proved too small … another was too slow … the other too small, too slow and too silly.

Bell only lost his helmet on illegal hits.

Quick routes for someone so slow? Beat zones? 50-50 balls? Is that all legal?

One proved too small … another was too slow … the other too small, too slow and too silly.

Bell only lost his helmet on illegal hits.
Standeford's 40 was faster than Bell's

Pretty sure they timed stratons with a sun dial.

ADVERTISEMENT