ADVERTISEMENT

Another DL Commitment. Liking it!

KentuckyBoiler

All-American
Jul 6, 2011
I really like what we are doing recruiting wise on the DL side of the ball with this early class. We are picking up kids with an impressive offer lists and great size, and the ability to add more size. We have been weak on our DL for a while, with a few exceptions here and there. I think this is going to be a strength for us in another couple of years.

I really like what we are doing recruiting wise on the DL side of the ball with this early class. We are picking up kids with an impressive offer lists and great size, and the ability to add more size. We have been weak on our DL for a while, with a few exceptions here and there. I think this is going to be a strength for us in another couple of years.

Had offers from Michigan and Florida State.

My question is how many scholarships do we have for this upcoming year?

I know that is hard to judge with possible portal leaves and other factors, but range wise what are we looking at in the present moment, if everything was kept static?

Great start to the DL class. Haven't seen a whole lot from Micah Carter because he was out most of the year.

Really like Drake Carlson - he has a pretty awesome arsenal of moves for being that young. Does a great job using his long arms to keep OL away on the interior. Does a great job reading out the read option stuff in his film. Will be interesting to see how he does with the double teams because they are coming at the next level.

Saadiq looks like a little more of a project to me. He will have to put on some good weight to play on the inside. Has some good play recognition. Really hits well and finishes tackles.

I know that is hard to judge with possible portal leaves and other factors, but range wise what are we looking at in the present moment, if everything was kept static?
As many as we need. Players will get the talk if need be

Reactions: DAG10
Does anyone know why they haven't updated the commitment list, yet? It still shows only 8 commits, and Saadiq is the 9th. He commited at 10AM, or 5 1/2 hours ago.

I’d expect schools like us to only take 16-18 even if we have 25 unless studs become available late

Don’t look now but Northwestern and Mich St are doing very well recruiting this month.

Don’t look now but Northwestern and Mich St are doing very well recruiting this month.
It’s gonna be just like when the big ten money got way bigger. Everyone started getting classes of all 3 stars, even Indiana. Now recruiting is gonna get better for big ten, sec and the biggest money programs from the other conferences. So it’s not a huge deal to have the haul we just had.

Reactions: pboiler18
As many as we need. Players will get the talk if need be
I would agree. In the past our small projected classes of 15-18 always seemed to grow to 25 or the max. There are always unexpected losses after players receive the talk. My only concern is that we address all areas rather than stocking up at 1-2 positions

I would agree. In the past our small projected classes of 15-18 always seemed to grow to 25 or the max. There are always unexpected losses after players receive the talk. My only concern is that we address all areas rather than stocking up at 1-2 positions

What areas aren't we addressing?

Reactions: pboiler18
My thoughts are that Hazell recruited some good players but he over recruited at RB and DB and several of those top recruits were wasted because we had too much depth at one position. There was one year Hazell forgot to balance out his recruiting class and we ended up with only 1 offensive lineman. Whom he probably red shirted. Hazell was very consistent about not recruiting offensive linemen and preferring to recruit skil position players. Brohm has had a tendency to over recruit at WR. He has recruited a lot of WRs at the expense of other positions and several of those highly regarded WRs also got caught up in a depth chart problems and either left or didn’t contribute. And now we have landed several defensive linemen with several more defensive linemen showing Purdue as warm. While they may be great recruits, I would hate to see a Purdue recruiting class with 5 awesome defensive linemen at the expense of other positions.

My thoughts are that Hazell recruited some good players but he over recruited at RB and DB and several of those top recruits were wasted because we had too much depth at one position. There was one year Hazell forgot to balance out his recruiting class and we ended up with only 1 offensive lineman. Whom he probably red shirted. Hazell was very consistent about not recruiting offensive linemen and preferring to recruit skil position players. Brohm has had a tendency to over recruit at WR. He has recruited a lot of WRs at the expense of other positions and several of those highly regarded WRs also got caught up in a depth chart problems and either left or didn’t contribute. And now we have landed several defensive linemen with several more defensive linemen showing Purdue as warm. While they may be great recruits, I would hate to see a Purdue recruiting class with 5 awesome defensive linemen at the expense of other positions.
DL is one position that should be “overrecruited” due to turnover and injuries. It takes time to build up the trenches and throwing bodies at it, along with transfer portal (incoming) they should be in good shape with Hagan.

I believe Purdue can always do well with attracting skill position players in portal, other than RB.

It’s gonna be just like when the big ten money got way bigger. Everyone started getting classes of all 3 stars, even Indiana. Now recruiting is gonna get better for big ten, sec and the biggest money programs from the other conferences. So it’s not a huge deal to have the haul we just had.
Is it because the big boys are saving scholarships for raiding other P5 programs?

Why offer the #624 HS player in the nation when I can poach a proven DL from Pitt or Vanderbilt?

Is it because the big boys are saving scholarships for raiding other P5 programs?

Why offer the #624 HS player in the nation when I can poach a proven DL from Pitt or Vanderbilt?
Yes. Tom had an article on KC saying to expect classes to be 16-18, not 25, I presume for that reason.

so, say we are 40th in recruiting stature and the average used to be 25 for simplicity but now it’s 18.. that’s 273 kids available to us that wouldn’t have been before all this.

so recruiting a better looking class than we used to won’t be such a big deal. Everyone will. IU will…

I think a couple types get hurt by this. A sean sester where you take him hoping to add 60 lbs is gonna get left out, there won’t be time for all that unless he has the potential of Micah..

And college players who wanna screw around .. you wanna be a character problem or a kid who doesn’t work hard etc? You’re just gonna be gone from these schools if you can’t really play, and you aren’t gonna get picked up very easily..

Reactions: finkchem
Over recruited at WR? We had two in this years class and two last year. We lost a lot and are counting on transfers. We aren’t very deep there.

need a lot of DL. We rotate them a lot and play 4. Should be recruiting 5 a year and if they can all be awesome why not? Not sure how that would be at the expense of other positions unless you are referring to NIL money which brohm has no say about.

Reactions: Chi-Boiler
Over recruited at WR? We had two in this years class and two last year. We lost a lot and are counting on transfers. We aren’t very deep there.

need a lot of DL. We rotate them a lot and play 4. Should be recruiting 5 a year and if they can all be awesome why not? Not sure how that would be at the expense of other positions unless you are referring to NIL money which brohm has no say about.
In todays world, you must also include transfers as recruits and as part of your recruiting class. You could consider transfers as experienced recruits or the replacement of Kc recruits. But the reality is they are new additions. Future recruiting classes may reflect transfers as part of their ratings. Brohm has had a tendency to add more WRs than we have been able to utilize. Even when he doesn’t sign a high school recruit he usually adds a WR transfer. He added the WR from NW and 2 from Iowa! Carr couldn’t crack our depth. There was that other 3 star I thought because of his size/height could be a TE and because it was obvious he’d never get any playing time over the other WRs added to the team. Brohm has never lacked depth at WR!

Last edited:
I’m lost with this comment. Yaseen? Rice? Sheffield? Thompson? All of those guys have proven they can produce. Only issue at this point is how well they come off of injury and if they can stay healthy. THEN you have the 2 Iowa kids who are good. THEN you have the 4 kids from the last 2 classes. There’s a lot of depth here. Maybe too muc (but not because while those top 4 are good they seemingly can’t stay healthy…yet)

I’m lost with this comment. Yaseen? Rice? Sheffield? Thompson? All of those guys have proven they can produce. Only issue at this point is how well they come off of injury and if they can stay healthy. THEN you have the 2 Iowa kids who are good. THEN you have the 4 kids from the last 2 classes. There’s a lot of depth here. Maybe too muc (but not because while those top 4 are good they seemingly can’t stay healthy…yet)
Exactly! We always have quality depth at WR! Sometimes too much depth

I'm not sure Yaseen or Rice have proven they can produce. They simply haven't been on the field enough.

That being said, I think our WR room is plentiful and you're right, the health is the biggest issue.

Reactions: ImRonBurgandy?
In todays world, you must also include transfers as recruits and as part of your recruiting class. You could consider transfers as experienced recruits or the replacement of Kc recruits. But the reality is they are new additions. Future recruiting classes may reflect transfers as part of their ratings. Brohm has had a tendency to add more WRs than we have been able to utilize. Even when he doesn’t sign a high school recruit he usually adds a WR transfer. He added the WR from NW and 2 from Iowa! Carr couldn’t crack our depth. There was that other 3 star I thought because of his size/height could be a TE and because it was obvious he’d never get any playing time over the other WRs added to the team. Brohm has never lacked depth at WR!
We played a walk on WR in the bowl game due to injuries. We just lost our top 3 WRs and our returner left mid-season. We only have 7 WRs returning, many of which are injury prone. 1-2 year transfers are not the same as 5 year high school recruits lol. We get jones for one year he is essentially filling in for Marcellus moore he transferred out a major need. He’s not burning a 2023 scholarship. Tracy is 2 years but we were desperate for an immediate impact WR after losing Wright. Same with canion.

Brohm frequently carries about 12 scholarship WRs as is the case this year. The following is a pretty reasonable breakdown for any team:

QB - 4
RB - 4
OL - 15
TE - 5
WR - 12

thats only 40 and we probably get a couple more on offense mixed in. Where on offense should he stash the scholarships if 12 are too many?

Reactions: purduepat1969
I would disagree about a transfer not being as great as a 5 year high school player! A transfer comes to Purdue with both experience and success and doesn’t have to spend a year redshirting. I have to believe Tracy is better than any HS receiver we recruited. Whoever signed the WR from Pitt is probably saying they’d rather have him over any 5 star high school recruit. While Tracy may not have 5 years with us, in 2 years, you can always find another transfer for 2 years. You end up with two very productive transfers verses one high school recruit. We may not get another Bell, but we will likely get two WR transfers that are both more productive than Carr was and Carr was a higher rated recruit over Bell. I’m starting to like the idea of recruiting transfers rather than over hyped high school players! It may be an awesome idea for offensive linemen to bring in players who were already developed. We could just start recruiting transfers and grad transfers. We could totally eliminate redshirting linemen . That would awesome to have add ready to play linemen, right?

We played a walk on WR in the bowl game due to injuries. We just lost our top 3 WRs and our returner left mid-season. We only have 7 WRs returning, many of which are injury prone. 1-2 year transfers are not the same as 5 year high school recruits lol. We get jones for one year he is essentially filling in for Marcellus moore he transferred out a major need. He’s not burning a 2023 scholarship. Tracy is 2 years but we were desperate for an immediate impact WR after losing Wright. Same with canion.

Brohm frequently carries about 12 scholarship WRs as is the case this year. The following is a pretty reasonable breakdown for any team:

QB - 4
RB - 4
OL - 15
TE - 5
WR - 12

thats only 40 and we probably get a couple more on offense mixed in. Where on offense should he stash the scholarships if 12 are too many?
Four star OLs. Duh.

I would disagree about a transfer not being as great as a 5 year high school player! A transfer comes to Purdue with both experience and success and doesn’t have to spend a year redshirting. I have to believe Tracy is better than any HS receiver we recruited. Whoever signed the WR from Pitt is probably saying they’d rather have him over any 5 star high school recruit. While Tracy may not have 5 years with us, in 2 years, you can always find another transfer for 2 years. You end up with two very productive transfers verses one high school recruit. We may not get another Bell, but we will likely get two WR transfers that are both more productive than Carr was and Carr was a higher rated recruit over Bell. I’m starting to like the idea of recruiting transfers rather than over hyped high school players! It may be an awesome idea for offensive linemen to bring in players who were already developed. We could just start recruiting transfers and grad transfers. We could totally eliminate redshirting linemen . That would awesome to have add ready to play linemen, right?
WTF man I stopped reading after your first sentence. Never did I say anything that implies a 5 year student is better than a transfer! I said you can’t recruit like for like. Our 3 WR transfers will get us up to 6 years of playing time vs 3 high school kids get you up to 12! If you have 12 scholarship WRs and you only recruit 5th year WRs you need to receuit 12 a year! You just argued with me that we had transfers that should count the same as high school kids… I’m going to take advice and ignore you since it’s like talking to a wall.
I saw a funny joke the other day…. It said A&W started offering 1/3 lb burgers at the same price as 1/4 lb burgers as McDs to compete but stopped when they realized many people thought 1/4 was bigger, and that is why you should stop arguing with idiots online. Consider yourself ignored!!!

WTF man I stopped reading after your first sentence. Never did I say anything that implies a 5 year student is better than a transfer! I said you can’t recruit like for like. Our 3 WR transfers will get us up to 6 years of playing time vs 3 high school kids get you up to 12! If you have 12 scholarship WRs and you only recruit 5th year WRs you need to receuit 12 a year! You just argued with me that we had transfers that should count the same as high school kids… I’m going to take advice and ignore you since it’s like talking to a wall.
I saw a funny joke the other day…. It said A&W started offering 1/3 lb burgers at the same price as 1/4 lb burgers as McDs to compete but stopped when they realized many people thought 1/4 was bigger, and that is why you should stop arguing with idiots online. Consider yourself ignored!!!
I was the originator of the a&w joke

Reactions: POTFHBTFU
ADVERTISEMENT