ADVERTISEMENT

Annnd We're Off - schedule

Do Dah Day

All-American
Nov 8, 2015
The Boilermakers will play five home-and-away series and eight single-play opponents.

Purdue's home-and-away series will be with Maryland, Michigan, Minnesota, Rutgers and Wisconsin.

Purdue will host single-play home games against Nebraska, Northwestern, Ohio State and Penn State. Purdue's single-play road games will come against Illinois, Indiana, Iowa and Michigan State.

IMHO - those single-play games are not well-balanced ... like, NOT AT ALL.

The Boilermakers will play five home-and-away series and eight single-play opponents.

Purdue's home-and-away series will be with Maryland, Michigan, Minnesota, Rutgers and Wisconsin.

Purdue will host single-play home games against Nebraska, Northwestern, Ohio State and Penn State. Purdue's single-play road games will come against Illinois, Indiana, Iowa and Michigan State.

Too bad we only play IU, MSU, and Iowa, our most hated rivals, only once.

This..... the B1G regular season championships have been so watered down, they are pretty much meaningless IMO. The schedules really place advantages & disadvantages for schools.

Wow, those single-play road games are going to be tough. But, this is a veteran Purdue team, so I say "bring it on!"

On the flip side, next year a much younger Purdue team won't have to go to East Lansing, Bloomington, or Iowa City.

Reactions: Schnelk
Wow, those single-play road games are going to be tough. But, this is a veteran Purdue team, so I say "bring it on!
On the flip side, next year a much younger Purdue team won't have to go to East Lansing, Bloomington, or Iowa City.

If only that is the way they scheduled single plays. It's random from one year to the next.
Yep - this year has little if anything to do with next year.

If only that is the way they scheduled single plays. It's random from one year to the next.

That surprises me. I thought the B1G operated on two-year cycles with the second year being the mirror image of the first. Isn't that the way it works (or used to work) in football?

At the very least, there should be some algorithm or systematic pattern to scheduling. Random scheduling seems arbitrary.

Oh, well, I'm still confident that Purdue has a team this year that can handle tough road games.

Reactions: Roeder
That surprises me. I thought the B1G operated on two-year cycles with the second year being the mirror image of the first. Isn't that the way it works (or used to work) in football?

At the very least, there should be some algorithm or systematic pattern to scheduling. Random scheduling seems arbitrary.

Oh, well, I'm still confident that Purdue has a team this year that can handle tough road games.

Although there could be a system for basketball, I think it's much more structured for football (with the divisions Legends/Leaders, now East/West) in order to "protect" certain games/rivalries.

Could you imagine the uproar if Ohio State and Michigan, or Purdue and Iowa didn't play each year?

By the way, here's the breakdown for all of the conference schools:

http://www.bigten.org/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/073117aaa.html

TMHR seems to have gotten a favorable "draw" at first glance.

Reactions: TX4GB and Roeder

Ya not so great...not liking how the schedule is having such a huge factor in who wins the B1G now.

Two years ago when we only played IU once it was also just in Bloomington. If we are going to only play once it should be in West Lafayette this season. I guess the Big Ten is going to try hard to get Archie off to a good start there.

FYI..
In May, the B10 informed coaches the following games will be protected moving forward... IU-PU, MSU-UM, NW-IL. This will be the last year for single game series. I guess the coaches complained and were able to secure the series after this season.

FYI..
In May, the B10 informed coaches the following games will be protected moving forward... IU-PU, MSU-UM, NW-IL. This will be the last year for single game series. I guess the coaches complained and were able to secure the series after this season.
Good.

That is so incredibly stupid....
If you were to ask Delaney and the Powers that Be in the B10 corporate office "Hey, what are the B10's most cherished and fierce rivalries, I think PU/iu basketball would be mentioned right behind the UM/OSU football game by a vast majority of those people.
In which case I would say "THEN WHY DON'T YOU PROTECT THAT RIVALRY!?"

Some quick thoughts.......

Of the contenders, on paper Purdue has one of the toughest roads to a regular season championship. It's all about where you don't have to play on the road. Other teams like Wisconsin and Iowa got some huge breaks there. MSU doesn't have to play @ rivals Purdue and Michigan, etc.

Not playing @ Northwestern is a break, but I would much rather not go to MSU, Maryland, Minny, Iowa, Michigan, or IU.

On the flip side, this will give a Sr lead Purdue team multiple shots at quality road wins for their tournament resume. This team SHOULD be able to handle a tougher schedule. Protect home court and they can still be in the race at the end.

Wow, those single-play road games are going to be tough. But, this is a veteran Purdue team, so I say "bring it on!"

or psu.

This single play sucks. Get rid of some of the cupcakes in the preseason and put us back to playing each other twice!
agree 100%.

Happy B Day

1024x1024.jpg

Last edited:
this article had mentioned expanding to at least 20.

not sure how feasible it would really be to mirror more matchups

https://www.landgrantholyland.com/2017/6/13/15794824/ohio-state-basketball-big-ten-schedules-

IMO: going to a 20-game conference season is a good idea. Sure, it would probably cost each school two home non-conference games, but each school would gain a home B1G game.

Football now plays 3 non-conference games and 9 conference games each year, so B1G games make up 75% of the schedule

Basketball, on the other hand, typically plays 13 (sometimes 12) non-conference games and 18 conference games. So the non-conference schedule is at least 40% of the season.

With more holiday tournaments, plus the ACC Challenge and the Gavitt games, Purdue can usually count on at least 4 or 5 non-conference games against high-major opponents. Throw in 5 or 6 home games against mid and low-majors to pad out the schedule, and that's enough.

Besides, the NCAA Tournament pays so much attention now to computer metrics that SOS has become more important than overall record.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT