ADVERTISEMENT

An extra season of eligibility?

goboilers2

All-American
Sep 26, 2001
St Augustine
Seems only the right and reasonable thing to do, since this is not the choice of the athletes.

Then again, when does the NCAA do the right and reasonable thing? It is loaded with Karens now.

Seems only the right and reasonable thing to do, since this is not the choice of the athletes.

Then again, when does the NCAA do the right and reasonable thing? It is loaded with Karens now.

Couldn't agree more. Devastating to those seniors that know deep down this could've been their last chance to lace them up.

Reactions: goboilers2
This will create space for other conferences to cancel. Could nudge some players to opt out and it lowers the risks and trade offs for canceling the season.

Looks like college football has a big quandary on their hands. Citing “The medical issue related to Covid“ was not the right way to go about this because “the medical issue related to CTE“ is a far greater a long-term concern than the cove it ever will be for these players. But now the Big Ten has gone down that road and they can’t go back.

Reactions: DAG10 and Purdue85
The seniors are the ones I feel bad for. Not being able to play would totally suck. March madness being canceled last basketball season was awful too.

Looks like college football has a big quandary on their hands. Citing “The medical issue related to Covid“ was not the right way to go about this because “the medical issue related to CTE“ is a far greater a long-term concern than the cove it ever will be for these players. But now the Big Ten has gone down that road and they can’t go back.
Let me know when they discover you can catch CTE sitting next to a football player in class.

Reactions: DAG10
Sure, grant them another year. I wouldnt make schools retain them.

The necessary addendum is to increase the scholarship limit at the same time as there will still be incoming freshmen. So the NCAA needs to get back from their coffee breaks and make some decisions and get them out to the schools trying to work under their guidelines.

Granting the additional year of eligibility is not an issue really...that is easy to do...it already happened with spring athletes...the issue is that schools do not have the means by which to honor it in some (many when it comes to football likely) cases, and, it definitely affects/impacts recruiting as well.

The extra year of eligibility will not be an issue for the better/best players, in fact, cancelling this season benefits them and works against schools.

Something that was amusing to me...imagine if Sindelar had returned this year...and then got ANOTHER year of eligibility because of what has happened! He might have had the longest collegiate playing career of any athlete in history.

The necessary addendum is to increase the scholarship limit at the same time as there will still be incoming freshmen. So the NCAA needs to get back from their coffee breaks and make some decisions and get them out to the schools trying to work under their guidelines.
And these provisions should have been in the works as everyone knew this outcome was a possibility. I raised this exact question a couple weeks ago on this board when it appeared the season was spiraling down the drain. The best answer I got was that the NCAA would allow each team 85 scholarships plus scholarships for any returning seniors for next season. But I have not read anywhere that this has been put into rule by the NCAA.

Granting the additional year of eligibility is not an issue really...that is easy to do...it already happened with spring athletes...the issue is that schools do not have the means by which to honor it in some (many when it comes to football likely) cases, and, it definitely affects/impacts recruiting as well.

The extra year of eligibility will not be an issue for the better/best players, in fact, cancelling this season benefits them and works against schools.

Something that was amusing to me...imagine if Sindelar had returned this year...and then got ANOTHER year of eligibility because of what has happened! He might have had the longest collegiate playing career of any athlete in history.
A lineman for Texas Tech was granted a 7th year of eligibility 5 or so years ago.

And these provisions should have been in the works as everyone knew this outcome was a possibility. I raised this exact question a couple weeks ago on this board when it appeared the season was spiraling down the drain. The best answer I got was that the NCAA would allow each team 85 scholarships plus scholarships for any returning seniors for next season. But I have not read anywhere that this has been put into rule by the NCAA.
There is a potential Title IX impact as well...absent a waiver if additional scholarships are approved, and, more so if sports end up needing to be cancelled as a result of the financial fallout from not having college football.

Again, the granting an additional year of eligibility or allowing schools to dole out additional scholarships is the easy part...there are other complications that result.

There is a potential Title IX impact as well...absent a waiver if additional scholarships are approved, and, more so if sports end up needing to be cancelled as a result of the financial fallout from not having college football.

Again, the granting an additional year of eligibility or allowing schools to dole out additional scholarships is the easy part...there are other complications that result.
Right and do you let them compete without being enrolled? Graduated but not seeking a graduate degree?

Let me know when they discover you can catch CTE sitting next to a football player in class.

That's also part of the point: these players are going to be exposed sitting in class. They're not going to be exposed to CTE sitting next to someone in class. So, to use COVID as the medical reason appears to show a disconnect, at best, if not a bit disingenuous.

That's also part of the point: these players are going to be exposed sitting in class. They're not going to be exposed to CTE sitting next to someone in class. So, to use COVID as the medical reason appears to show a disconnect, at best, if not a bit disingenuous.
I can social distance in class, let me know when they come up with a social distance plan while tackling someone

They can take their own risk without risking the lives of other people.

Them taking on their own risk would occur whether or not they're playing.

I'm responsible for my own risk, as you accurately pointed out earlier with your comment about social distancing.

All the students coming back to campus present as much (or more) of risk than our football team playing a game.

Them taking on their own risk would occur whether or not they're playing.

I'm responsible for my own risk, as you accurately pointed out earlier with your comment about social distancing.

All the students coming back to campus present as much (or more) of risk than our football team playing a game.
We agree. Students should not be on campus.

Not sure that that has any intellect attached to it but go with it... I’m going under the assumption you were supporting my thoughts on it. Because CTE is 100% preventable. It’s called shut down football forever. Just don’t play it.

Based on how they freaked out about Covid and the possibility of one person catching it and having something serious happen because it’s “preventable“, it stands to reason that they should shut down football forever if that’s the reasoning. CTE is 100% preventable; just don’t play the games, no practice, no football participation whatsoever forever. If it was about “preventing something that is preventable then “there you have it“

I do apologize if I miss read your intentions. I’m a bit frustrated for the young man who will have their future sabotage by this very poorly thought out decision

Reactions: Purdue85
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT