ADVERTISEMENT

AJ Hammons

northside100

All-American
Gold Member
Aug 11, 2001
Has anyone heard anything about what AJ is up to? It doesn’t look like he was invited to summer league and the last article I can find about him was his being waived by the heat months ago.

I was always a big fan, I hope he has signed a contract overseas that I’ve not heard about versus sitting somewhere smoking a fat bowl and working his way through his guaranteed co tract money.

Reactions: nagemj02
I've always thought that he doesn't have a true passion for basketball. He admitted that he doesn't follow the sport while at Purdue. With that in mind, it's not surprising that he's struggling to survive in the pro ranks.

Last edited:
Can't find much about him. The Heat waived him back in Feb to make room for Dwayne Wade. He never played a game for them. He played for their G League team Sioux Falls Sky Force. Heat still owe him $1.5mil for 2018-19 which is dead money going against their salary cap. Here are some of his highlights with the Sky Force.

http://gleague.nba.com/player/aj-hammons/

I saw him at Brother's in downtown Indy in March, which is prime basketball season last I checked. He didn't seem to be doing anything basketball related at that point.

Reactions: nagemj02
It's a shame-- a good friend of mine works on the show Shark Tank, and happened to have a conversation with Mark Cuban right after Hammons was drafted by the Mavs. Cuban brought it up to my friend out of the blue how excited he was with Hammon's potential (it truly was out of the blue because my friend has no connection with Purdue besides me). I was really excited to hear that at the time, but it's sad to see that it might not be playing out.

I had hoped he would find a role on the Mavs or somewhere, looks like the lack of effort concerns were valid. Still the best shot-blocker I have seen at Purdue in my time as a fan and I am greatful for him.

I dont think his story has ended, I think hammons has more fight in him than that.
This is that post I want to reply to with agreement but reality is different. He walked into the league with questions related to his motor and he had opportunities to prove otherwise. Sadly he couldn’t shake it.

Interests need to be mutual between parties sometimes. How many of people are now working and making money for their interests?? Million of dollar isn't attractive enough.... Come on.

Reactions: RowdyB
This is that post I want to reply to with agreement but reality is different. He walked into the league with questions related to his motor and he had opportunities to prove otherwise. Sadly he couldn’t shake it.
His G league stats are pretty reasonable. I watch worse players in the NBA, I know that.

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
At the very least he could be JJohnson quality overseas. Money is a hell of a motivator when the alternative is working a 50k Monday through Friday job give or take.

Hammons was a good Purdue player. But he could have been great if he had a competitive fire like Boogie. That was one thing I saw when he was playing at Purdue. None of this surprises me about Hammons. But hey, it's his life and he should do whatever it is that makes him happy. If that doesn't include basketball, that's OK.

AJ made $1.3million last year with the Heat. He'll rake in another $1.5million from the Heat this year. $2.6million from the Mavs (not sure if he got to keep all of that). I don't think we'll see him panhandling on the street corner anytime soon. Unless, he buys a $10million mansion, or falls for a bad investment. Just keep playing your video games.

https://www.spotrac.com/nba/miami-heat/a.j.-hammons-20252/

Can't find much about him. The Heat waived him back in Feb to make room for Dwayne Wade. He never played a game for them. He played for their G League team Sioux Falls Sky Force. Heat still owe him $1.5mil for 2018-19 which is dead money going against their salary cap. Here are some of his highlights with the Sky Force.

http://gleague.nba.com/player/aj-hammons/
I watched several of the highlight clips and he looked pretty good to me at that level - 18/16 in a couple of games, hitting threes, rebounding, lots of blocked shots. It appears that he could latch on to a team that needed a backup or replacement for an injured big.

gotta love how everyone is assuming the reason aj isnt making it in the nba is his "motor" or desire. did jj have the motor and desire? it might have more to do with nba teams being more guard and forward oriented. it just isnt a big man sport anymore.

Reactions: Roeder
ADVERTISEMENT