ADVERTISEMENT

After giving this some thought over the last 48 hours.......

TMA62

Junior
Nov 3, 2001
I would rather have someone who WANTS to be at Purdue and in the Big Ten than someone who prefers to be somewhere else. For examle, Gene Keady and Joe Tiller were not Purdue Alums but they WANTED to be here and in the Big 10. That is the type of candidate we should be looking for.

The B10 is a money making machine and coaches will be paid very well to be here in this league. The college football landscape has changed significantly over the past 10 years with more choice programs being added to the major conferences like the B10, SEC, B12, etc. Smaller conferences will be squeezed out of the playoffs while the bigger conferences will get into bowls/playoffs due to SOS. Imagine being a coach that plays regularly Michigan, OSU, PSU, etc. and soon USC and UCLA. Think of the recruiting potential.

Again, we should hire someone who wants to be here than preferring to be elsewhere once every few years.

In my view, if it wasn't Louisville he would be at Purdue long-term. I'm not sure who you would find that wouldn't have some other position or location that they wouldn't consider. I'm sure you have some dream location or job that you would consider moving for if the stars aligned.

So, in this regards I think that Brohm was about as good as it gets.

Maybe the only other way to really guarantee what you're proposing is to find someone who is close enough to retirement that they are unlikely to consider anything else.

Even Keady flirted with leaving a couple of times. Painter, too. Tiller was pretty frustrated at some of his budget constraints, so I'm not so sure he would have stayed if he was younger.

Brohm's reasons for leaving are very unique amongst coaches in the P5. Mario Cristobal comes to mind, but beyond that I can't think of a big name.

One thing to keep in mind is that leaving the B10 is pretty rare. The only step-up/lateral is the SEC and rarely will an SEC school hire a coach who does not know the SEC landscape. The same is said for the B10 in that we typically prefer someone who knows how to recruit the Midwest. This makes it tougher for someone to make a step-up/out as you don't often see coaches move within the conference.

You may see things changing as recruiting becomes more national, but right now the fundamentals are still there and you need to recruit in the region your university is.

Since the Brees era, just look at how many coaching changes the B10 has had at every program. Ferentz and Franklin are probably your lifers. Heck, even Harbaugh "interviewed" with the Vikings last year. Ryan Day was possibly going to the Bears.

This will be a test of consistency at Purdue, this is by far the best record our program has had in decades with a coaching change. Much different than Tiller leaving, Hope, Hazell, etc.

Reactions: Boiler8285
Brohm's reasons for leaving are very unique amongst coaches in the P5. Mario Cristobal comes to mind, but beyond that I can't think of a big name.

One thing to keep in mind is that leaving the B10 is pretty rare. The only step-up/lateral is the SEC and rarely will an SEC school hire a coach who does not know the SEC landscape. The same is said for the B10 in that we typically prefer someone who knows how to recruit the Midwest. This makes it tougher for someone to make a step-up/out as you don't often see coaches move within the conference.

You may see things changing as recruiting becomes more national, but right now the fundamentals are still there and you need to recruit in the region your university is.

Since the Brees era, just look at how many coaching changes the B10 has had at every program. Ferentz and Franklin are probably your lifers. Heck, even Harbaugh "interviewed" with the Vikings last year. Ryan Day was possibly going to the Bears.

This will be a test of consistency at Purdue, this is by far the best record our program has had in decades with a coaching change. Much different than Tiller leaving, Hope, Hazell, etc.
All the Purdue FB coaches in my lifetime either got fired or forced into retirement, so this is uncharted territory for me.

Reactions: TX4GB
I vaguely remember Jim Young leaving. What a drought until Tiller. One good year in 84.

Reactions: FLAG HUNTER
I would rather have someone who WANTS to be at Purdue and in the Big Ten than someone who prefers to be somewhere else. For examle, Gene Keady and Joe Tiller were not Purdue Alums but they WANTED to be here and in the Big 10. That is the type of candidate we should be looking for.

The B10 is a money making machine and coaches will be paid very well to be here in this league. The college football landscape has changed significantly over the past 10 years with more choice programs being added to the major conferences like the B10, SEC, B12, etc. Smaller conferences will be squeezed out of the playoffs while the bigger conferences will get into bowls/playoffs due to SOS. Imagine being a coach that plays regularly Michigan, OSU, PSU, etc. and soon USC and UCLA. Think of the recruiting potential.

Again, we should hire someone who wants to be here than preferring to be elsewhere once every few years.

It took you 48 hours to come up with that?

Reactions: New Pal Boiler
ADVERTISEMENT