ADVERTISEMENT

Aaron Wheeler showing all of his skills (May 2018)

"There has not been a super champion ever who has not had a white male playing on the active roster. If you don't have a white male, you have no chance!"

-Data
Keep moving the goal post.

Run back to KHC and the national boards. TY

"There has not been a super champion ever who has not had a white male playing on the active roster. If you don't have a white male, you have no chance!"

-Data
Me, you and Warren Buffet are in a room together. Our average net worth is north of a billion dollars.

@Mgkcbb trying to explain averages.

Reactions: BoilerIron

-Data
Every team that won a national title scored more points than the other team.

Every team that won a national title wore sneakers, socks, shorts, and jerseys.

The same can be said for trying convincing those who think elite talent isnt necessary to win even though for the last 40 years there has only been 1 team win without an elite player on the roster.
I have been reading this whole thread and I can honestly say elite talent doesn’t always translate to success as a team. Kentucky had all Americans all over the place for many years and the last natl championship they won was 2012 but that team did have veterans on that team as well why they won. Both of you have your own opinions right or wrong about what you need as a team to be successful to win a national championship but I also believe elite talent is not the only way to win either bcuz of that is the case why did Kentucky loose to Kansas state and team that beat Virginia had no elite talent and blew out Virginia. Only time will tell if this years team will have success w/o the so call elite talent but I truly Believe this team w/o ur burger boys will shock many this season bcuz they have all the ingredients as a team to make a even deeper run to win a national championship w/o the elite talent as some say. In due time we’ll see how season goes for teams with elite talent with OAD how there season shakes out in 5 months who will be still standing than this debate will be settled.

I have been reading this whole thread and I can honestly say elite talent doesn’t always translate to success as a team. Kentucky had all Americans all over the place for many years and the last natl championship they won was 2012 but that team did have veterans on that team as well why they won. Both of you have your own opinions right or wrong about what you need as a team to be successful to win a national championship but I also believe elite talent is not the only way to win either bcuz of that is the case why did Kentucky loose to Kansas state and team that beat Virginia had no elite talent and blew out Virginia. Only time will tell if this years team will have success w/o the so call elite talent but I truly Believe this team w/o ur burger boys will shock many this season bcuz they have all the ingredients as a team to make a even deeper run to win a national championship w/o the elite talent as some say. In due time we’ll see how season goes for teams with elite talent with OAD how there season shakes out in 5 months who will be still standing than this debate will be settled.
Without question it takes a combination/balance of all the above. Don't think anyone has proven you can win titles with only OADs. The only title Cal has had a little bit of everything.

I believe you that this team will surprise us and I am looking forward to it.

Reactions: BoilerIron
I agree that elite talent doesn't guarantee a championship. However 39/40 past champions have had an "elite talent" player. There is definitely some correlation there.

Without question it takes a combination/balance of all the above. Don't think anyone has proven you can win titles with only OADs. The only title Cal has had a little bit of everything.

I believe you that this team will surprise us and I am looking forward to it.

Wait, how? There's no McD AA?!

I agree that elite talent doesn't guarantee a championship. However 39/40 past champions have had an "elite talent" player. There is definitely some correlation there.

Purdue had elite talent last season. Just ask the Jerry West award voters

Wait, what?!

According to you, that' accepting mediocrity?!?!
Not sure what that has to do with what I just said. We need to get elite talent to have a shot at being championship contenders.

How about this, so we can end this. I will bet you $1k that a team with a former McDonald's AA wins the championship this upcoming season. You can have the field. Accept?

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
Not sure what that has to do with what I just said. We need to get elite talent to have a shot at being championship contenders.

How about this, so we can end this. I will bet you $1k that a team with a former McDonald's AA wins the championship this upcoming season. You can have the field. Accept?
Sir kids and parents determine what school they wanna come to not the coach recruiting them. It’s not like painter isn’t trying to get them they choose to go elsewhere that’s not on him it could be many factors why those elite players go elsewhere I no I went through The Whole recruiting process and it was me and my son who made the decision to come to Purdue bcuz of our own reason. We shall see next April how many burger help there team win a national championship.

Reactions: Schnelk and mathboy
Sir kids and parents determine what school they wanna come to not the coach recruiting them. It’s not like painter isn’t trying to get them they choose to go elsewhere that’s not on him it could be many factors why those elite players go elsewhere I no I went through The Whole recruiting process and it was me and my son who made the decision to come to Purdue bcuz of our own reason. We shall see next April how many burger help there team win a national championship.

Would you include the shoe companies in this? Just askin.

I don't understand the agenda. the decision was made to RS Wheeler. Was it the right decision? Who knows. So what.

I have made 4 or 5 post on the subject and they have been fairly consistent, My original response was to a couple of post. One suggested Wheeler should start instead of Cline and another that thought Wheeler could be better than a freshmen Vince. My point was that while the videos are very encouraging, he did red shirt last year and coaches typically don't red shirt guys who are ready to play. The other posters responded by saying that it doesn't reflect on his ability because we were so deep at the 4. I stand by my original post that I believe we weren't so deep that if he could have played like "a freshman Vince" their weren't minutes available.

There is no agenda. I don't know the players or hope one player starts over another. I trust Painter will play the best 8 or 9 guys he thinks will help Purdue win. If Wheeler is better than Cline and is Vince 2.0 that will be great, but I think its a little early to make those projections.

This argument is a little silly. Of course elite level talent coming in every year increases a teams chances to win. The other way to do it is to pick up guys that have a better chance than others to become elite and this is the way Painter is being forced to play the game as of today. True Purdue fans should be happy the coach is as good at identifying the second group as he is.

This argument is a little silly. Of course elite level talent coming in every year increases a teams chances to win. The other way to do it is to pick up guys that have a better chance than others to become elite and this is the way Painter is being forced to play the game as of today. True Purdue fans should be happy the coach is as good at identifying the second group as he is.
Great post. There is a reason that a lot of coaches come in after Painter and grab a recruit. Izzo does that frequently.

Reactions: ChoiceBeef

The problem with "elite talent" is that they're almost all certainly one and dones. So you'e getting them as inexperienced freshman.

There' a reason there were zero one and dones on the 4 final four teams - upperclassmen who have developed and learned the correct way to play in whatever system they're in are more likely to win games than elite level freshman. Roy Williams has figured this out and recruits multi year guys and wins titles with them.

Villanova has thrived with this system starting all multi year upperclassmen this season as they dominated with guys like Bridges, Divencenzo, Paschall - and these players were better than most of the 5 star frosh this season.

Winning is about developing players, not acquiring 5 stars.

Reactions: mathboy
The problem with "elite talent" is that they're almost all certainly one and dones. So you'e getting them as inexperienced freshman.

There' a reason there were zero one and dones on the 4 final four teams - upperclassmen who have developed and learned the correct way to play in whatever system they're in are more likely to win games than elite level freshman. Roy Williams has figured this out and recruits multi year guys and wins titles with them.

Villanova has thrived with this system starting all multi year upperclassmen this season as they dominated with guys like Bridges, Divencenzo, Paschall - and these players were better than most of the 5 star frosh this season.

The offer still stands.

$1k

I get all teams with a Mcdonald's AA.

You get the field.

If one of my teams win the championship, you owe me $1k. If one of your teams wins I pay you $1k.

One of your teams would include Michigan, and they have the best coach in the NCAA....

Great argument except Villanova had 5 star players on their roster in Omari Spellman and Jalen Brunson.

UNC the year before had Justin Jackson, Theo Pinson and Tony Bradley. All of those guys except Bradley were multi year players.

Nope, elite talent isn't needed to win at the highest levels.

The offer still stands.

$1k

I get all teams with a Mcdonald's AA.

You get the field.

If one of my teams win the championship, you owe me $1k. If one of your teams wins I pay you $1k.

One of your teams would include Michigan, and they have the best coach in the NCAA....

I am not interested in accepting a wager of $1,000 from an argumentative stranger online.

Reactions: mathboy
Great argument except Villanova had 5 star players on their roster in Omari Spellman and Jalen Brunson.

UNC the year before had Justin Jackson, Theo Pinson and Tony Bradley. All of those guys except Bradley were multi year players.

Nope, elite talent isn't needed to win at the highest levels.

Elite talent is needed to win at the highest levels. Your boner for online arguing is so strong you're now acting like talent isn't needed.

Matt Painter didn't have one of the best 5 teams in the nation without talent. Dakota, Vince, Carsen, HAARMS, Haas were definitely needed to win all of those games.

Zavier Simpson, Mo Wagner, Rahkman, etc were needed for Belein to come within a game of winning the championship.

Most likely because you know it's extremely likely that you will lose. If we had made that same bet for the last 40 years, I would have $38k.

Making an outrageous wager that is never going to be accepted due to collection issues doesn't make your point any stronger. In fact, I'd argue it weakens it that you've had to resort to that.

Making an outrageous wager that is never going to be accepted due to collection issues doesn't make your point any stronger. In fact, I'd argue it weakens it that you've had to resort to that.
I can't speak for you, but I definitely have the integrity to back up a made bet.

This is my last post to you, because clearly you don't understand, or just like to argue. Read the below article (Beef posted yesterday). If you can read that article in full, and still think McDonald's AA aren't necessary to win championships, then we have nothing left to discuss basketball related.

http://www.maxpreps.com/news/XKQ2C0...ns-does-it-take-to-win-the-ncaa-tournament.htm

And he lost to a team with 5 star talent.

Villanova had two 5 star high school recruits on its roster.

One scored 8 points.
The other scored 9 points.

They had 2 combined assists.

Meanwhile, their 120th ranked 3 star recruit scored 31 points and was named MOP. Their 4 star junior scored 19 points himself.

Buteven if you are going to continue and sit here and credit that win to Jalen Brunson and Omari Spellman when they only combined for 17 points and 2 assists, its
Important to remember they were both multi year players who stayed and developed at Villanova.

Development is the theme here.

I can't speak for you, but I definitely have the integrity to back up a made bet.

This is my last post to you, because clearly you don't understand, or just like to argue. Read the below article (Beef posted yesterday). If you can read that article in full, and still think McDonald's AA aren't necessary to win championships, then we have nothing left to discuss basketball related.

http://www.maxpreps.com/news/XKQ2C028vkmbBFX1iQKP_w/how-many-mcdonald’s-all-americans-does-it-take-to-win-the-ncaa-tournament.htm

Bolded is good to here. Going to hold you to this.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT