ADVERTISEMENT

A suggestion for the Bucket Game...

hoosierbugs

Redshirt Freshman
Jun 23, 2010
I wrote this on Hoosier Rivals as well...

I have no idea how to get a hold of the Powers that be on either side...

Tyler Trent and the IU student manager battling Hodgkin's Lymphoma (who hasn't missed a practice) should serve as Honorary Captains for each side...

Theme being "Rivals on the field but united against Cancer"

Just throwing it out there

One of the problems I see is the testosterone levels of both team's fans. They'd rather trash talk and hate each other than do something nice. I just see too many of them wanting to shout at each other than combining with each other for a worthy cause.

One of the problems I see is the testosterone levels of both team's fans. They'd rather trash talk and hate each other than do something nice. I just see too many of them wanting to shout at each other than combining with each other for a worthy cause.

why do you do that?

What a nice post to start the thread.

There's no reason this can't happen.

None.

Do you actually go to games or is this based on observations of jerks hiding behind a computer on message boards? I go to the bucket game every year and it is very civil, especially since they moved it to the thanksgiving weekend.

This was directed at Wolegib, my browser is acting up and won’t let me quote

My post was based on you and your posts. The vast majority of you and the people at Peegs are total jerks towards each other. You dis your own fans just for being different. You can't wait to show your glee at berating IU and their fans. I'm not sure which you enjoy more, a Purdue win or an IU loss. I also can't believe Purdue students like to start every game with the cheer IU sucks and are actually proud of doing so. It shows no sportsmanship at all. This is not what happened when I went to School. And you believe the crowd at an IU game could put aside their differences and rally together for one common cause at the Bucket game?

I thought this was a great idea - see my first post. But I just can't see it happening if the crowd mirrors the sample base that posts here and Peegs. So are you going to follow this cheer with IU sucks? And POTFH ?

Reactions: RVAboiler
The trash talk goes to the victors after...lol

Joe Tillers and Cam Cameron's first year, I did have a Boiler fan spit at my feet (no I didn't instigate)...lol

I do also remember they had a blood drive competition for both sides they announced the results before kickoff...so some civility before kickoff...

Reactions: Boilerme
The trash talk goes to the victors after...lol

Joe Tillers and Cam Cameron's first year, I did have a Boiler fan spit at my feet (no I didn't instigate)...lol

I do also remember they had a blood drive competition for both sides they announced the results before kickoff...so some civility before kickoff...

I have been to lots and lots of stadiums to watch Purdue Football games and the only place I had a drink thrown on me was at IU's memorial stadium after Purdue beat IU to ruin Anthony Thompson's Heisman hopes. They threw a a drink on my wife too just for celebrating the win (only cheering, no obnoxious comments).

Reactions: Purdue85
I wrote this on Hoosier Rivals as well...

I have no idea how to get a hold of the Powers that be on either side...

Tyler Trent and the IU student manager battling Hodgkin's Lymphoma (who hasn't missed a practice) should serve as Honorary Captains for each side...

Theme being "Rivals on the field but united against Cancer"

Just throwing it out there
Call into or text The Dan Dakich show tomorrow. He had Tyler on today and is really into his story. I bet he would run with this idea straight to the IU AD. Worth a shot, and it’s a great idea!

I have been to lots and lots of stadiums to watch Purdue Football games and the only place I had a drink thrown on me was at IU's memorial stadium after Purdue beat IU to ruin Anthony Thompson's Heisman hopes. They threw a a drink on my wife too just for celebrating the win (only cheering, no obnoxious comments).

Yup.

Been to different B1G stadiums. The only @ssholes I've ever encountered were in the h*llhole Gloomington. I won't tar and feather every IU fan, just call out the dumb@sses. I've had slurs directed at me, drinks thrown on my clothes, and an assortment of other encounters. Nowhere else, but IU.

Reactions: delarno
Yup.

Been to different B1G stadiums. The only @ssholes I've ever encountered were in the h*llhole Gloomington. I won't tar and feather every IU fan, just call out the dumb@sses. I've had slurs directed at me, drinks thrown on my clothes, and an assortment of other encounters. Nowhere else, but IU.
I’ve been to many opposing venues (both BB and FB). Only twice did I have encounters with a**hole fans. The worst was at Penn St for a BB game. Sat behind the Purdue bench and there was an older guy yelling obscenities at Painter and the players the whole game. Also every fan in our section was yelling at the refs constantly, and they had no clue about the rules of BB. The second was at IUs Memorial Stadium. On our way out after a Purdue win, three dumba** students accosted my 80 year old father and took his Purdue hat and started jumping on it. I grabbed one around the neck and the other two fled. I held on until a cop came. He asked if there was a problem so I let go and said not now.

However, I took my IU Brother and Sister in law to a Purdue game a couple of years ago and was embarrassed by how they were treated.

I’ve been to many opposing venues (both BB and FB). Only twice did I have encounters with a**hole fans. The worst was at Penn St for a BB game. Sat behind the Purdue bench and there was an older guy yelling obscenities at Painter and the players the whole game. Also every fan in our section was yelling at the refs constantly, and they had no clue about the rules of BB. The second was at IUs Memorial Stadium. On our way out after a Purdue win, three dumba** students accosted my 80 year old father and took his Purdue hat and started jumping on it. I grabbed one around the neck and the other two fled. I held on until a cop came. He asked if there was a problem so I let go and said not now.

However, I took my IU Brother and Sister in law to a Purdue game a couple of years ago and was embarrassed by how they were treated.

I have never, EVER heard a Purdue fan shout anything obscene at IU fans.

Last year, sat in a section primarily PURDUE fans . . . AT(!) Ross-Ade.

listened to IU fans embarrass themselves at the start of the game.

Never, EVER have I heard Purdue fans act in such a manner. Not saying it doesn't happen, just haven't been exposed to it.

IU fans have been absolutely horrible to be around, and for absolutely NO reason.

Reactions: delarno
I have never, EVER heard a Purdue fan shout anything obscene at IU fans.

Last year, sat in a section primarily PURDUE fans . . . AT(!) Ross-Ade.

listened to IU fans embarrass themselves at the start of the game.

Never, EVER have I heard Purdue fans act in such a manner. Not saying it doesn't happen, just haven't been exposed to it.

IU fans have been absolutely horrible to be around, and for absolutely NO reason.
Kind of like that captainassano that just showed up here??? Lol

How does such a thoughtful and unselfish post deteriorate into a contentious discussion, complete with name calling? If you like the idea . . . great! If you don't . . . that's your prerogative. No need to introduce any other hateful discussion. I can't understand why this almost always has to happen.

Reactions: Indianaftw
ADVERTISEMENT