ADVERTISEMENT

A new concept being discussed

Wolegib

All-American
May 23, 2013
A new conference idea being discussed is the idea of forming mega conferences much like European soccer. Where you have league play but then you have select teams that play in your league and also in the elite leagues! You have this concept in place in little league baseball where you have leagues and then all star teams that compete for the little league World Series.

how would this play out? You would have the BIG10 conference of 20-24 teams. And then you would have your 4-6 elite teams that would also play in their elite league for the NCAA championships. You would have USC, Notre Dame, Mich, OSU and maybe UW and PSU as your super elite teams.

and the SEC, ACC and BIG 12 would be structured similarly. And then you would have a 16 team elite super level above the power 5 level.

it works in European soccer. The media would love it.

Admittedly it sucks for the alsorans. But in a world where college athletes are receiving $million dollar nil deals, And the media is building pay per view packages, this crazy idea could become a reality.

There aren't enough Saturdays to make that work. The Premier league teams play something like 38 matches a season. It works in soccer because they can play every few days. CFB can't do that for obvious reasons.

With 16 teams, I hope it's going to be a 4 division setup for the B1G like the NFL. 2 nonconference games, 10 conference games (3 games in your div, two from each of the other 3 div, plus a consolation). Then a 4 team playoff for the conf championship. The rest play a consolation conference game for the 10th B1G game.

Reactions: SDBoiler1
A new conference idea being discussed is the idea of forming mega conferences much like European soccer. Where you have league play but then you have select teams that play in your league and also in the elite leagues! You have this concept in place in little league baseball where you have leagues and then all star teams that compete for the little league World Series.

how would this play out? You would have the BIG10 conference of 20-24 teams. And then you would have your 4-6 elite teams that would also play in their elite league for the NCAA championships. You would have USC, Notre Dame, Mich, OSU and maybe UW and PSU as your super elite teams.

and the SEC, ACC and BIG 12 would be structured similarly. And then you would have a 16 team elite super level above the power 5 level.

Admittedly it sucks for the alsorans. But in a world where college athletes are receiving $million dollar nil deals, And the media is building pay per view packages, this crazy idea could become a reality.
This technically DIDNT happen in European soccer and was shot down before it became official.

What they do have is the Champions League....which I would be fine with some sort of promotion/relegation/award level based on place type system as long as we didn't get knocked out of Major college football.

This technically DIDNT happen in European soccer and was shot down before it became official.

What they do have is the Champions League....which I would be fine with some sort of promotion/relegation/award level based on place type system as long as we didn't get knocked out of Major college football.
A relegation system has been discussed here in the past.

I’d be for it.

While I'm not a huge fan of soccer (playing for a tie? Really?) I did find it intriguing of how every year the bottom teams drop out to replaced by up and comers. THAT could make things interesting.

I didn’t say this was my idea. I said it was an idea a National podcast brought up. There is a similar thread discussing the same idea in KHC. As for the scheduling, we keep stretching the college football season to start earlier and end later. Maybe you could divide conferences into the has and has nots or champions and premier and have your 4-6 best compete for the championship.

as I said this wasn’t my idea. I’m just sharing it for discussion. The overall driving factor would be $$$ and networks looking for programming .

ADVERTISEMENT