ADVERTISEMENT

A.J. Hammons draft predictions

nagemj02

All-American
Mar 16, 2010
To whom and when do you believe he will be picked in the upcoming NBA Draft? I have read some articles where the Los Angeles Lakers' GM has stated that he would like to get AJH early in the second round (I think they have the #32 pick).

Spurs, Celtics, or Bulls. Duncans retirement is looming AJ could get some minutes or if Tim comes back he would have a great mentor. I heard the Celtics are looking for a C and he fits their system. Bulls are also looking for a C and ETwaun and AJ as teammates would be awesome.

To a good team at the end of the first round. I'm not particular on which one. Hope he gets the guaranteed money and goes to a team that has the structure to continue to get the best out of him.

I've seen a couple of mock drafts that have him going to the Celtics. He would seem to fit well in their system.

I kind of get the argument that Hammons doesn't have the upside of a 19/20 year old kid but at the same time I think he has a much higher floor. At the very worst, I think he is a backup center in the NBA for 5+ years. At best, he starts and averages 10-12 ppg and maybe 7-8 boards. That's why I think it makes a ton of sense for good teams that are in championship contention to invest in him as opposed to bad teams like the Lakers. If the Lakers draft him and he goes in and average 12 and 8 next year what does that do for the franchise? Not much. Probably moves them down further in the lottery. On the flip side, what if he averages 10/6/2 off the bench for the Spurs? That could be very useful for them throughout next season as they have some production off the bench to allow them to keep their starters fresh throughout the year.

I kind of get the argument that Hammons doesn't have the upside of a 19/20 year old kid but at the same time I think he has a much higher floor. At the very worst, I think he is a backup center in the NBA for 5+ years. At best, he starts and averages 10-12 ppg and maybe 7-8 boards. That's why I think it makes a ton of sense for good teams that are in championship contention to invest in him as opposed to bad teams like the Lakers. If the Lakers draft him and he goes in and average 12 and 8 next year what does that do for the franchise? Not much. Probably moves them down further in the lottery. On the flip side, what if he averages 10/6/2 off the bench for the Spurs? That could be very useful for them throughout next season as they have some production off the bench to allow them to keep their starters fresh throughout the year.
I think that a bad team like the Lakers would be very happy to get a solid rotation player at the top of the second round to go along with a star in first round. If they land the right player in the first round, Hammons could be a nice asset as they build around their first pick.

Reactions: JohnHoosierr
I don't think he will go in the first round because there will always be motivation and motor questions surrounding him. Even if it was just to avoid foul trouble, AJH was perceived to have "taken plays off" from time to time and although he has better footwork and post moves than he's often given credit for, no one will say that he has a great basketball IQ. His natural skills (good shooting stroke and sense of timing for blocking shots), abilities for his size (no matter how strong his drive or passion for the game is), experience, and production will be enough for him to be drafted early in the 2nd round (IMO).

Hopefully he doesn't go to the Lakers. That franchise is in the dumps right now.

Yeah....Jimmy's run Daddy's company into the ground so far. Then you have the bizarre locker room stuff with Russell and Young.....probably a new coach to add in. Yet, they did beat Golden State this year.

I think AJH would be a good fit in SA, Boston, or GS. Who knows with the Lakers.

So is his announcement today of withdrawing from the combine an indication that he only wants certain franchise scouts to watch him?

Now we're just one day away. What are you all hearing about which franchise is going to take him?

I'm still seeing that the Lakers will take him if he falls to #32.

Now we're just one day away. What are you all hearing about which franchise is going to take him?

I'm still seeing that the Lakers will take him if he falls to #32.

I would love to see him in Golden State as a rim protector and stretch 5! I think he could do it and will have a long a successful career in the NBA. Think Brad Miller with better rim protection! Miller had one GREAT career and nobody saw that coming!

Reactions: purdue4sure
I would love to see him in Golden State as a rim protector and stretch 5! I think he could do it and will have a long a successful career in the NBA. Think Brad Miller with better rim protection! Miller had one GREAT career and nobody saw that coming!
This. Miller admitted that he wasn't committed to basketball until he got to the NBA. I wish I knew what it takes to flip that switch.

AJ would be an upgrade over all their crummy backup bigs. I mean, Andy Varejao? Sheesh.

Reactions: StateStreet123

That would be a nice destination! He would have Andrew Bogut, Festus Ezeli, Anderson Varejao, and Marresse Speights to compete with for PT/burn/run/minutes (whatever you wanna call it, haha), right?

Henry Ellenson???? A.J. would eat his frickin lunch. I really want A.J. to go high. I love that kid. Good luck A.J.!!!!!

I think this is all a bunch of crap. A.J. had another 7 footer come in, as in Isaac Haas, just when A.J. gets the hang of the Big Ten. Without Isaac, A.J. would already be picked because his numbers would be astronomical. But did A.J. ever bitch about Isaac, NO! Hell he helped Isaac!!!! They were huge buds!!!! A.J. is the ultimate team player, and that is the "motor" we all want in our players. I've seen the fire in A.J., we all have, and I think he will be the bargain of this draft, write it down.

Up to 27, Lots of international guys going now.
Ajh not on bilas next ten best available (fwiw)

A.J. was a Boilermaker. Look at the statue, he is a fighting man, got a fricking hammer in his hand. . A.J. is a fighting man, just like Etwaun and Robbie, to hell with this motor crap.

My wife and kids are watching the NBA draft for the first time in their life because of A.J. I'm talking kids - like 18 and 15!!! My wife would like to beat the living tar out of the next stupid GM with one of her pampered chef pans if he doesn't pick A.J.

AJH is picked by the Mavericks at #46! I don't know about much about the recent makeup of their rosters, other than Dirk Nowitzki has to be in the final stages of his career and (from reading the captions during the draft coverage) that Zaza Pachulia had their most starts at the 5 this past season.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT