ADVERTISEMENT

A former Boiler needs your help

Feb 6, 2014
I am a Hoosier coming out from behind enemy lines, waving a white flag in hopes of a temporary truce, to seek the help of Boiler nation for a dear family friend of ours who is in need.

I spent my high school years in West Lafayette, and our family became very close with Gerald Thomas and his family. Gerald played at Purdue from 1974-1977. https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/gerald-thomas-2.html

Gerald, his wife Susan, and their kids Ben and Christopher are some of the nicest people you could ever want to meet.

In 2008, Gerald was diagnosed with MS. Sadly, his physical condition and capabilities have deteriorated since then. I saw him about a year ago, and his spirits were high despite his increasing difficultly walking. That capacity now fully eludes him now, as he is bound to his wheelchair. He and his family recently set up a GoFundMe campaign to raise the funds needed for a wheelchair accessible van. He wrote, "I would love to become more independently mobile and a wheelchair accessible van would accomplish this goal."

Here is the link: https://www.gofundme.com/f/dundzn-n...ible-van?qid=7b14f5b395a2152738ea714eec6c7d4a

I'm posting this here in hopes that Boiler Nation can help a former Boiler out. It sometimes seems so silly that we all care about these games played by college kids so much ... and yet it's in situations like these, when former players or members of the family need help, that the deep community and camaraderie of a fan base truly shines through -- sometimes even among opposing fan bases!

Anyway, I know we have our differences and enjoy ribbing each other about the games and chants and banners, but this is the stuff that really matters. Gerald and his family are wonderful folks, so I'm just hoping to help him get them some support.

Please consider contributing. Any amount helps.

I am a Hoosier coming out from behind enemy lines, waving a white flag in hopes of a temporary truce, to seek the help of Boiler nation for a dear family friend of ours who is in need.

I spent my high school years in West Lafayette, and our family became very close with Gerald Thomas and his family. Gerald played at Purdue from 1974-1977. https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/gerald-thomas-2.html

Gerald, his wife Susan, and their kids Ben and Christopher are some of the nicest people you could ever want to meet.

In 2008, Gerald was diagnosed with MS. Sadly, his physical condition and capabilities have deteriorated since then. I saw him about a year ago, and his spirits were high despite his increasing difficultly walking. That capacity now fully eludes him now, as he is bound to his wheelchair. He and his family recently set up a GoFundMe campaign to raise the funds needed for a wheelchair accessible van. He wrote, "I would love to become more independently mobile and a wheelchair accessible van would accomplish this goal."

Here is the link: https://www.gofundme.com/f/dundzn-n...ible-van?qid=7b14f5b395a2152738ea714eec6c7d4a

I'm posting this here in hopes that Boiler Nation can help a former Boiler out. It sometimes seems so silly that we all care about these games played by college kids so much ... and yet it's in situations like these, when former players or members of the family need help, that the deep community and camaraderie of a fan base truly shines through -- sometimes even among opposing fan bases!

Anyway, I know we have our differences and enjoy ribbing each other about the games and chants and banners, but this is the stuff that really matters. Gerald and his family are wonderful folks, so I'm just hoping to help him get them some support.

Please consider contributing. Any amount helps.
Thanks for letting us know.

Reactions: pboiler18
I wish more Boilermakers would/could donate to this fund as it seems to be stuck at a little more than $17,000 out of the $70,000 needed for the van. I noticed that Matt Painter and his wife donated. Even $5.00 or $10.00 helps if enough people donate.

Reactions: pboiler18
One slight correction. There's no such thing as a former Boilermaker.
Nor a former Connersville Spartan. I was several years ahead in high school. My Dad sent me News-Examiner and Indy Star clippings in 1972 for the state championship. We shared years at Purdue when i came back from the Air Force for grad school. An aside, my daughter was diagnosed with MS in 2014 but has kept it under control with medication. Plays pickle ball and hikes. Hope things improve for you, Gerald.

Just donated. Going to need more exposure than this site to get to 70k. Does anyone know what degree he got? Maybe we can get that school or PAA to post to it’s alumni accounts to spread the word.

Reactions: Bethboilerfan
Just donated. Going to need more exposure than this site to get to 70k. Does anyone know what degree he got? Maybe we can get that school or PAA to post to it’s alumni accounts to spread the word.
Looks like his degree is from Purdue University Krannert School of Management, specifically BS Industrial Management 1973-1978.

Reactions: Bethboilerfan
donated. Gerald's wife Susan was a year or two ahead of me at WLHS. He has served on the WL council for a long time. Maybe Alan K. can do a story on him.

There is a group on Facebook called "#1 Purdue Boilermaker fans" with nearly 1,000 members...

ADVERTISEMENT