ADVERTISEMENT

A couple observations

Jul 9, 2015
(1) Recently re-watched highlights of UM game. TKR reminds me of Kevin McHale with his low post moves. It is difficult to keep one's pivot foot in place while making multiple fakes and pivots, but he has that rare skill. Sometimes it looks forced, but the fact he pulls it off is impressive. What a weapon going forward!
(2) Concerning Painter. His pressers are priceless. He makes eye contact, gives straight answers that ACTUALLY ANSWER A QUESTION, not just the usual coach-speak. Also, at the start of Mackey post game, he actually looked to silence his phone and turned it upside down, which lets everyone know as a (rare) gesture that his focus is on them. In our current society, I wonder how many of us are so considerate. Clearly, though I know nothing of him, he was brought up right.

(1) Recently re-watched highlights of UM game. TKR reminds me of Kevin McHale with his low post moves. It is difficult to keep one's pivot foot in place while making multiple fakes and pivots, but he has that rare skill. Sometimes it looks forced, but the fact he pulls it off is impressive. What a weapon going forward!
(2) Concerning Painter. His pressers are priceless. He makes eye contact, gives straight answers that ACTUALLY ANSWER A QUESTION, not just the usual coach-speak. Also, at the start of Mackey post game, he actually looked to silence his phone and turned it upside down, which lets everyone know as a (rare) gesture that his focus is on them. In our current society, I wonder how many of us are so considerate. Clearly, though I know nothing of him, he was brought up right.
Kevin McHale is quite the stretch, I love the optimism though lol

Some people have commented that he is slow-footed. He just seems to be deceptively quick and crafty.

He bangs hard and I’m not surprised by the offensive fouls he picks up. Once he learns how to be a bit more crafty with those, he will be really good down there.
I watched the IU game so got to hear DJ Carstensen (sp) discussing fouls/calls during halftime. TKR’s issue on sometimes isn't the initial contact when he bangs, it is the second one which the refs are watching for. He also tends to lower his shoulder and deliver the elbow which is going to get called all the time. I am sure Brantley will continue to work on that with him

Let’s just say that the post footwork that he displays is rare in today’s game. He’s a bit of a throwback to McHale’s era.
That is what I am talking about! It is very rare for guys on any level to have the patience and moxie to make such moves. Has anyone been ever better than McHale?

That is what I am talking about! It is very rare for guys on any level to have the patience and moxie to make such moves. Has anyone been ever better than McHale?

McHale was as crafty as they came.....for bigs, on that level - maybe Olajuwon and to a lesser extent, Duncan.

Ironically, the one guy who seemed to have McHale's number was his college teammate with the Gophers, Mychal Thompson.

Reactions: rwenger
Painter a players coach , class guy.....always steady

McHale was as crafty as they came.....for bigs, on that level - maybe Olajuwon and to a lesser extent, Duncan.

Ironically, the one guy who seemed to have McHale's number was his college teammate with the Gophers, Mychal Thompson.
that fade away shot McHale had was unstoppable. Charles Barkley said McHale was the best player he ever played against.

Some people have commented that he is slow-footed. He just seems to be deceptively quick and crafty.
I don’t think he’s slow at all for a 5.

That might have been in regards to him playing the 3, which he’s definitely too slow for at this point.

I think he could play the 4 if he can get that 3 point range locked in.

I love his footwork, however sometimes I believe he is too determined to shoot. Kick it out and relocate is what he should do, but he doesn't. Thought he missed a couple kick outs for easy 3s yesterday, 1 in particular to Gillis.
Agreed. That’s something that comes with experience. The ability to assess the situation in the moment and determine whether to take a shot or pass it out.

ADVERTISEMENT