ADVERTISEMENT

7.5 dogs @ Minny

It has been a point of emphasis since Fleck arrived, and, to that point, it has served them well also.

It has been a point of emphasis for Purdue as well, not really anyone's fault at least 1 OL recruit from every year since CJB showed up retired from football completely, some even before stepping foot on campus. Purdues biggest issue has been developing OL into B1G bodies, not going after the bodies.

Reactions: Boiler8285
It has been a point of emphasis for Purdue as well, not really anyone's fault at least 1 OL recruit from every year since CJB showed up retired from football completely, some even before stepping foot on campus. Purdues biggest issue has been developing OL into B1G bodies, not going after the bodies.
You are right with respect to having lost guys/bodies, but, the quality of guys recruited at the position has not measured up...the attrition after the staff's first/second year that was known to follow was not adequately addressed...and, development has not been great either.

Just taking guys is not the answer...getting guys that have shown to be good, and, that have size is what Minnesota had done...and, what others have as well...Purdue has not been good under this regime in that regard...or, at least that is my feeling/thought on the matter.

Concern back then in developing. With Transfer portal now, find the diamond who trained and no longer wants to wait his turn. Those OL are out there. Still not a fan of Portal Transfers, just have to get used to it and adjust.

I agree. Strength and Conditioning program is not cutting it. The symptoms are as you suggest plus injuries, backs and receivers that can't break tackles and get yards after contact, OL that is slow and can't get a push, DL that can't pressure, LBs and DBs that can't bring down ball carriers and give up big yards after contact.

Purdue is a passing offense. The NFL is a passing offense. It amazes me that offensive linemen that have NFL aspirations do not have Purdue as a serious candidate as a school at which they might want to play. I simply do not understand the disconnect.

Reactions: purduepat1969
MSU has the 103rd ranked pass defense (at least last week) and was the worst FBS school, so I was not surprised at all that they got taken to the shed last week. Ibrahim or the air…Sparty could its poison. Penix gashed Sparty for 300 yds in the 1st half/400 total.

My concern is our pass defense. We looked pretty solid last year (not as solid this year), we will see what happens without King George (and hopefully not without Graham).

Varmits are going to win big. I would take any line up to 17.5 for Minnesota.

That could change if skill players return, but nothing is showing that.

Varmits are going to win big. I would take any line up to 17.5 for Minnesota.

That could change if skill players return, but nothing is showing that.
Don't believe we'll be spanked that hard. Purdue will keep it closer that most believe it will. We've played with a high amount of injuries just last season and performed well. That is gut feel only, and we'll see what happens.
I haven't watched any of MN football. I hear all about their Offense and their DB's are good. There has to be exploit opportunities that can give Purdue chunk plays.

Through the first 3 quarters of all their games this season, Minnesota has outscored their opponents 156-3. I don't believe Morgan or Ibrahim have played a 4th quarter snap. I'm looking forward to a more competitive game on Saturday from Purdue.

Through the first 3 quarters of all their games this season, Minnesota has outscored their opponents 156-3. I don't believe Morgan or Ibrahim have played a 4th quarter snap. I'm looking forward to a more competitive game on Saturday from Purdue.
Our first string D has given up zero touchdowns.

Our first string D has given up zero touchdowns.
Given the competition, aside of MSU a week ago, it would be disappointing if they had.

Not a knock...as, they are experienced and talented, and, to date, have lived up to their billing certainly...but, not as if they have been tested in any way either, and, admittedly, I don't know that Purdue will test them either if O'Connell does not play.

Given the competition, aside of MSU a week ago, it would be disappointing if they had.

Not a knock...as, they are experienced and talented, and, to date, have lived up to their billing certainly...but, not as if they have been tested in any way either, and, admittedly, I don't know that Purdue will test them either if O'Connell does not play.
I think if O’Connell plays it will be the toughest test yet for our defense no doubt. We’ve gone 11 straight games giving up less than 280 total yards. I expect that streak to end this week.

Not to get technical, but I think Mr. Morgan has played in the fourth quarter. I think only the first series.

Purdue presents a great challenge. They have a dynamic offense that can score and defense with a pulse. We have a history of very interesting/ great games with Purdue. I expect this to be another in that series.

Go Gophers!

Not to get technical, but I think Mr. Morgan has played in the fourth quarter. I think only the first series.

Purdue presents a great challenge. They have a dynamic offense that can score and defense with a pulse. We have a history of very interesting/ great games with Purdue. I expect this to be another in that series.

Go Gophers!

Must have been the first 4Q series vs MSU? Looks like AOC 50/50 at best.

Makes sense. When healthy, he is arguably the best in the West/ Conference (other than OSU's QB)
Yep, O’Connell is the real deal he’s a difference maker. I honestly hope he plays. I need to see how we stack up against a real offense. If he plays Purdue will get their yards. Can we hold them to field goals is the the key. These two teams always battle n close games. I’m surprised people think this game is a blowout waiting to happen. We simply don’t know yet how good either team is yet. It’s September.

Yep, O’Connell is the real deal he’s a difference maker. I honestly hope he plays. I need to see how we stack up against a real offense. If he plays Purdue will get their yards. Can we hold them to field goals is the the key. These two teams always battle n close games. I’m surprised people think this game is a blowout waiting to happen. We simply don’t know yet how good either team is yet. It’s September.
There have been some incredibly entertaining games in the series, and, some high-scoring affairs.

Fleck more or less owns Brohm, just as Brohm does Ferentz.

Purdue has not won in Minnesota in some time (although, in fairness, they had the game stolen from them in '20...at the same time, that was during COVID and an entirely different situation as such).

Purdue, absent O'Connell...will struggle, especially with Doerue and Craig out again this week. Purdue may struggle with O'Connell for that matter. This Purdue offense is nowhere near as dynamic as others have been, and, while it will rack up some yards in general, I don't know that it can genuinely rack up points as other Purdue teams have.

I may be wrong, but, I think Minnesota will be the best defense that Purdue has faced, and, I know that they are the best offense that they will have faced.

Morgan has dominated Purdue. This is the worst defense that he has seen under Brohm. Purdue is better against the run that it has been, but, worse against the pass, and, it has yet to see a OL and RB combination that they will this week. Special Teams have not been great...there is literally no place that Purdue has an advantage, save if O'Connell plays, and, I am still not sure that it has the advantage as such in that regard given that the OL struggles to protect at times (thus why he is questionable), that there is little success with running to keep a defense honest, and, there are only 2 guys thus far that have shown themselves to be credible as receivers (Jones and Durham...and while some will say that the Penn St. secondary is better, I am not sure that it is relative to Minnesota's).

It just does not set up well for Purdue, aside of Minnesota coming off of a huge and emotional win a week ago. On paper, this looks like a potential blowout in Minnesota's favor...more so certainly if O'Connell is out. For Purdue to have any chance, even with O'Connell, it will have to play its best game to date (on the heels of arguably its worst to date a week ago).

Must have been the first 4Q series vs MSU? Looks like AOC 50/50 at best.

I am hard pressed to recall anyone under Brohm that was deemed a "Game-Day decision" that actually played in said game.

Now, he is not going to proclaim O'Connell as playing certainly just to maintain uncertainty...but, with all of those other guys out (again), while Purdue's chances to win are reduced as such, it may be a case of keeping O'Connell out to protect him as well by genuinely not exposing him to injury, and, provide another week's rest with the idea of maybe some of those guys being back a week from now.

There have been some incredibly entertaining games in the series, and, some high-scoring affairs.

Fleck more or less owns Brohm, just as Brohm does Ferentz.

Purdue has not won in Minnesota in some time (although, in fairness, they had the game stolen from them in '20...at the same time, that was during COVID and an entirely different situation as such).

Purdue, absent O'Connell...will struggle, especially with Doerue and Craig out again this week. Purdue may struggle with O'Connell for that matter. This Purdue offense is nowhere near as dynamic as others have been, and, while it will rack up some yards in general, I don't know that it can genuinely rack up points as other Purdue teams have.

I may be wrong, but, I think Minnesota will be the best defense that Purdue has faced, and, I know that they are the best offense that they will have faced.

Morgan has dominated Purdue. This is the worst defense that he has seen under Brohm. Purdue is better against the run that it has been, but, worse against the pass, and, it has yet to see a OL and RB combination that they will this week. Special Teams have not been great...there is literally no place that Purdue has an advantage, save if O'Connell plays, and, I am still not sure that it has the advantage as such in that regard given that the OL struggles to protect at times (thus why he is questionable), that there is little success with running to keep a defense honest, and, there are only 2 guys thus far that have shown themselves to be credible as receivers (Jones and Durham...and while some will say that the Penn St. secondary is better, I am not sure that it is relative to Minnesota's).

It just does not set up well for Purdue, aside of Minnesota coming off of a huge and emotional win a week ago. On paper, this looks like a potential blowout in Minnesota's favor...more so certainly if O'Connell is out. For Purdue to have any chance, even with O'Connell, it will have to play its best game to date (on the heels of arguably its worst to date a week ago).

This is a great analysis. That’s also why they play the games and if Purdue wins they will have earned it. Minnesota is approaching uncharted territory if they win convincingly albeit still early. They just haven’t had these numbers at this point in modern history. I’ve heard comparisons to the good Wisconsin teams and I think Minnesota might be even better all around than their 2019 season. That will all come to a screeching halt if Purdue takes care of business on the road.

They are white hott.
PJ has built “his” team.
They could win the West.
West hell. They could win it all.

Are they T-d up perfectly?
Bring in Pete now with the hammer.

Played 3 quarters at cuse with the injury. Looked better than anything else we have.

I want him to go if he can go. Let’s see where everyone is at. I watched the first half of PU vs FAU and the backup looks capable. The PU defense looked questionable. They will need to be on point.

I hate saying this but we are going to lose by at least 20 points. I certainly hope they prove me wrong but we simply don’t match up well at all against Minnesota. Fleck is obnoxious but he has always recruited really big OL. I wouldn’t be surprised to see their offense on the field for over 40 minutes. I’ll say 45-14 is the final. Prove me wrong Boilers!

I'm hopeful this will be like our Iowa game last year, and we'll greatly outperform everyone's expectations. At the least, I think we're probably doing the classic overestimation of our enemy. I think Minnesota will likely win comfortably, but the Boilers might put up more of a fight than expected.

ETA: If AOC is back, Purdue at least has a chance.

It is back issues, and, "same" in light of that...disappointing certainly, but, far more so I am sure for him and for the staff.

It's hard to understand how Purdue continues to lose linemen to back issues. How many guys is this now?

Reactions: ahhculdee
ADVERTISEMENT