ADVERTISEMENT

7.5 dogs @ Minny

My line isn't out yet FWIW, usually Sunday evenings.

My initial thought was going to be 7.5 with AOC, 13.5 without. FWIW again.

Reactions: DAG10
How is the Gophers pass defense? M$U usually doesn’t have a good passing offense. Spartans were overrated and they really miss Kenneth Walker at RB. Colorado is not good (0-4). Western Illinois is 0-4. New Mexico St is 1-4 and they were throttled by Wisconsin. Gophers have had a cream puff schedule so far. Purdue would look great with that schedule. It will be a tough game on the road but we will be competitive with a healthy AOC and hopefully Graham.

How is the Gophers pass defense? M$U usually doesn’t have a good passing offense. Spartans were overrated and they really miss Kenneth Walker at RB. Colorado is not good (0-4). Western Illinois is 0-4. New Mexico St is 1-4 and they were throttled by Wisconsin. Gophers have had a cream puff schedule so far. Purdue would look great with that schedule. It will be a tough game on the road but we will be competitive with a healthy AOC and hopefully Graham.
hopefully Craig and Thompson

While that would seem to be true/the case, Purdue already lost to a less than stellar Syracuse team, and, should have lost to FAU.

"The Gophers ranked in the top 10 nationally in total defense, rush defense, pass defense, and scoring defense last season and with seven starters back this fall."

Thamel had an article late this summer where he said that they had 5 legit potential NFL guys in their secondary.

Thorne threw for more than 300 yards a week ago against Washington, and, managed 132 against Minnesota yesterday.

While that would seem to be true/the case, Purdue already lost to a less than stellar Syracuse team, and, should have lost to FAU.

"The Gophers ranked in the top 10 nationally in total defense, rush defense, pass defense, and scoring defense last season and with seven starters back this fall."

Thamel had an article late this summer where he said that they had 5 legit potential NFL guys in their secondary.

Thorne threw for more than 300 yards a week ago against Washington, and, managed 132 against Minnesota yesterday.
So you are saying that we have a chance.

This might get ugly early, even if we have AOC. I think Brohm needs to go back to his trick playbook, if we have even a chance. Even with that, I think Fleck unfortunately keeps his streak over Brohm going on for another year.

With Aidan (and Graham) we're a pretty good team that was a couple of self-inflicted gunshot wounds from beating 2 undefeated teams. Without those guys I do believe what I saw Saturday- same level as FAU.

If Aidan plays I hope he is actually 100%. Any setback would be disastrous.

I see the rest of the season playing out like this, more or less.

With a mostly healthy roster (including Aidan):
Minnesota (L)
Maryland (W)
Nebraska (W)
Wisconsin (L)
Iowa (W)
Illinois (W)
Northwestern (W)
Indiana (W)

With key injuries to Aidan and others:
Minnesota (L)
Maryland (L)
Nebraska (W)
Wisconsin (L)
Iowa (L)
Illinois (L)
Northwestern (W)
Indiana (L)

Reactions: purduepat1969
I think, if anything, it is safe to say that this week will require Purdue's best collective effort and performance to date...and, if that happens, win or lose, it would be welcomed.
on the plus side Iowa went to RU and dominated last week. But realistically our O has stay on the field or the D will get worn down, The D line is good but if they get to the 2nd level the weak LB's will just cave in

Last edited:
Reactions: Boiler8285
on the plus side Iowa went to RU and dominated last week. But realistically our O has stay on the field or the D will get worn down, The D line is good but if they get to the 2nd level the weak LB's will just cave in
I was surprised admittedly post-game to know time of possession was so even on Saturday night, as, it sure seemed like the defense spent A LOT of time on the field.

I agree that the D-Line in general is pretty solid against the run...I said that it was a pleasant surprise coming out of the Penn St. game...but, unfortunately, the lack of quality/solid LBs (especially absent Graham) is a huge issue...issue against the run, and, in pass coverage as well.

It sounds like Graham won't be back this week unfortunately.

I guess what I am bothered by at the moment is that there was SO much talk about the depth of this particular team and improvement by Brohm/staff in that regard, yet, there seems to be depth issues at SO many positions. OL has issues in that regard...TE...WR...RB...LB...DB (and, we don't even really know with respect to P/K).

I hate to even think about it, but, imagine what this team would look like absent O'Connell with a COVID year, and, Jones at WR as a transfer.

With Aidan (and Graham) we're a pretty good team that was a couple of self-inflicted gunshot wounds from beating 2 undefeated teams. Without those guys I do believe what I saw Saturday- same level as FAU.

If Aidan plays I hope he is actually 100%. Any setback would be disastrous.

I see the rest of the season playing out like this, more or less.

With a mostly healthy roster (including Aidan):
Minnesota (L)
Maryland (W)
Nebraska (W)
Wisconsin (L)
Iowa (W)
Illinois (W)
Northwestern (W)
Indiana (W)

With key injuries to Aidan and others:
Minnesota (L)
Maryland (L)
Nebraska (W)
Wisconsin (L)
Iowa (L)
Illinois (L)
Northwestern (W)
Indiana (L)
Sounded as if Graham is unfortunately not likely to be back this week.

I am probably in line or not far off from what you have here...I think Maryland stands to be a loss regardless, but, certainly with your second scenario. I would probably have that as a "L" in your first scenario, and, still might have Iowa as a "W" in the second (just due to their issues on offense, at least at the moment).

Right now...8-4....while I had said that it would be disappointing from the standpoint of no real quality wins and with the schedule that Purdue has, I would take it and be pretty darn happy after what I just saw on Saturday night.

If the O'Connell injury lingers and he is out, or, not close to 100%...Purdue would do well just to get bowl-eligible...beat Nebraska, Iowa or Illinois, Northwestern and Indinia and that happens, and, I have to believe that they are capable of that...if not, man that would be disappointing.

I don't bet against Purdue, but if I did......

(but, for what it's worth, my wagering has been terrible this year, so do the opposite of whatever I do and you'll win).

The Varmits opp record so far this season… 3-14.

I think we put them to the test.
Some merit to that, but, the idea that MSU would not test them as well is a stretch, and, they did not test them even a little.

They are really good at a lot of things that Purdue is unfortunately not...Purdue has never had historical success there...it is just not a good matchup on paper, and, could be an even worse one on the field...especially if O'Connell does not play.

Reactions: PumpkinShuckers07
What happened to teams trying to beef up their non-conference schedules??

Strength of Schedule: Minnesota....177 according to Sagarin (Michigan is 176th). That is crazy for a B1G team to have that kind of schedule!
True. But kind of hard to blame them for Colorado being so bad. These games are scheduled years in advance. Perhaps Colorado looked like a tougher matchup when the schedule was made... Looked ahead at their schedule, and it looks like they have North Carolina, Cal, and Mississippi State for the next six years. Not daunting, but not cupcakes either.

Reactions: STPGopherfan

Strength of Schedule: Minnesota....177 according to Sagarin (Michigan is 176th). That is crazy for a B1G team to have that kind of schedule!
I didn't even realize there were that many D1 teams

True. But kind of hard to blame them for Colorado being so bad. These games are scheduled years in advance. Perhaps Colorado looked like a tougher matchup when the schedule was made... Looked ahead at their schedule, and it looks like they have North Carolina, Cal, and Mississippi State for the next six years. Not daunting, but not cupcakes either.
If Mel Tucker were still there, Colorado would not be the disaster that it has become...a shame, as, they had a solid program for a long time, and, it is one of the greatest stadium settings in all of college football.

And now the mascot is playing solitaire in the open end of the stadium!
Actually, in thinking a bit more about the matter...Tucker bailing on them...late nonetheless, did not do them any favors as a program. He has shown himself to be capable as a HC, and, he was seemingly a good hire by/for them...but, he left when Dantonio wanted out after all of the problems at MSU...he resigned/retired in February 2020...just at the outset of COVID...Tucker was hired just ahead of Spring signing day...the timing was bad on the surface for Colorado, and, compounded by COVID.

Gophers aren’t as talented as PSU, but they are playing well. I think we have to move the ball offensively and put up some points. If the Minnesota defense shuts us down and we get into a field position game, we will get worn down.

The other thing that worries me is the T Morgan factor. He has played well against us. He’s pretty average at times, but he gets hot. When he gets hot and he doesn’t turn it over, they are tonight to beat.

AOC plays and we have a chance. Burton plays and we will have to get really fortunate with turnovers.

I agree with you. MN is very good and winning. We’ve shot ourselves on the foot a few games and mismanaged PSU. We have athletes and collectively can compete. If many of the injured are back (including Aidan O’Connell) it may still be an L, but much closer than 12.5 pts. If not, then 14+ pts. Compete and see what happens. MN is not world beaters so stop acting like they are. OSU, MI and likely PSU can all beat MN.

For the Brohm haters, I disagree with you. He has helped get us athletes and back to respectability. I don’t always like the outcomes, not trusting the running game, and being more OC aware vs HC aware due to his nose in the playbook vs managing the game. All that said, he is still a good coach, and stability is needed in the program vs turnstile trial of the next best thing.
Purdue is competing and can still have a good season. My $.02.

I think Mich is a bit over ranked.

ADVERTISEMENT