ADVERTISEMENT

5 - 23

ghostoffatjack

Sophomore
Jun 15, 2013
Can’t shoot 5 - 23 from the 3 point line at home and expect to win! It appears that Purdue will live or die with this and breaking a press to move forward in both Tournaments. Noticed all season long that we shoot much better with the 3’s if they are set shots rather than off the dribble or fading away!

Reactions: wferrel
Can’t shoot 5 - 23 from the 3 point line at home and expect to win! It appears that Purdue will live or die with this and breaking a press to move forward in both Tournaments. Noticed all season long that we shoot much better with the 3’s if they are set shots rather than off the dribble or fading away!

Honestly that could end up being a good thing. Maybe a hot streak at the arc is all we need to ride far into the tournament.

Reactions: Schnelk and dayhr11

Well certainly can't shoot like that....
And allow TOs too.
And allow 38+ point halves.
And miss a bunch of FTs.
Or get out rebounded(rare).

Rebounding, FTs and inside game are the strengths. We can win on poor shooting nights by minimizing TOs, hitting FTs, doing are normal rebounding. But defensively, got to stop giving up 38+ point halves.

If shooting outside is the team flaw, we still can win, but got to do everything else we are good at right. Shooting like that just gives the rest of your game a lower margin for win %, but you still can win, doing other things right.

Reactions: DrEss
In the first half, Purdue had extended their lead out to about 7 and Edey had scored on 2 or 3 straight possessions, they had another stop and then Smith came down and took a terrible pull up 3 before anyone was in rebounding position. IU then hit open 3s on their next two possessions and it was back to a 1 point game. The Boilers could never pull away after that. Seemed to me at the time and thinking about it again this morning that it was a momentum killer and gave IU the lift they needed to stay in the game. Tough to see them lose like that. Eerily similar to last year where it seemed like 3s that would fall early in the season for Gillis, IT, Sasha, and Hunter just didn’t at the end of the season. I don’t know. Edey can’t do it all himself. They will have to be able to hit from outside if they want to make the second weekend of the tournament.

Reactions: Boiler8285
In the first half, Purdue had extended their lead out to about 7 and Edey had scored on 2 or 3 straight possessions, they had another stop and then Smith came down and took a terrible pull up 3 before anyone was in rebounding position. IU then hit open 3s on their next two possessions and it was back to a 1 point game. The Boilers could never pull away after that. Seemed to me at the time and thinking about it again this morning that it was a momentum killer and gave IU the lift they needed to stay in the game. Tough to see them lose like that. Eerily similar to last year where it seemed like 3s that would fall early in the season for Gillis, IT, Sasha, and Hunter just didn’t at the end of the season. I don’t know. Edey can’t do it all himself. They will have to be able to hit from outside if they want to make the second weekend of the tournament.

Yeah, Braden was playing really well before that so I wonder if it was a sort of heat check. Like he was playing really confidently. But that shot did sort of take the wind out of our sails.

We need some of our players to get with that shooting coach that has helped a bunch of our guys over the years. Can’t remember his name. Carsen and a number of our shooters have worked with him over the summer and really improved their games.

We need some of our players to get with that shooting coach that has helped a bunch of our guys over the years. Can’t remember his name. Carsen and a number of our shooters have worked with him over the summer and really improved their games.
You don't work with a shooting coach mid-year, that is something you do over the summer. He teaches you something, then you need reps to practice it. That would be like changing your golf swing during a tournament.

You don't work with a shooting coach mid-year, that is something you do over the summer. He teaches you something, then you need reps to practice it. That would be like changing your golf swing during a tournament.

I didn’t say mid year.

Honestly that could end up being a good thing. Maybe a hot streak at the arc is all we need to ride far into the tournament.
Outside of maybe November, we haven't been good from behind the arc for 6 straight games. Doubtful we can put 2 straight games together.

Pretty much have to play Edey 40mins and hope he can get some offensive rebounds.

we also missed 11 free throws and lost by 8. i have harped on this all year long. you just cant miss that many free shots and win.

Reactions: Poprudy
Creating your own shot just isn't the ability of this team. This team does very well within the system and the ability to cut and/or move to the gaps. We lack that at times and get stagnant. I feel like yelling "move"!!!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT