ADVERTISEMENT

3 Keys for next season: jel, gel and plus 1

Boilerpointe81

Redshirt Freshman
Nov 27, 2017
Plymouth Michigan
www.linkedin.com
Reading through the board today while passing time at a bar in Canada I thought of 3 keys for next season:

I expect CE to deliver so he is not a key.

1). nojel. Make a big leap from freshman year. Add scoring

2). Gel. This team needs to gel as the season progresses. Lots of SR loses. People in new roles. As the season progresses the team needs to come together

3). Plus 1- Someone else needs to surprise: haarms, wheeler, hunter? Don’t know who but someone else needs to make a leap.

Your thoughts........????

Reactions: Boilermaker24
I think Boudreaux is the +1.
+1

Most of the posts I read have lost sight of this guy. I think he is going to feast on the BIG defenders. - not necessarily scoring (I expect 10-12 ppg). I think he is going to be a great passer by drawing his defender out of position and will rack up assists working with Nojel and Carsen.

Haarms' offense needs to catch up with his defense. He also needs to learn that he doesn't have to try and block every shot. His raised wingspan alone can alter shots.

The shot blocking will come with maturity. Later in the season he showed some signs of that.

My greatest concern with Haarms is his conditioning. A big part of our success depends on him working his @ss off this summer. He needs to come in ready to play and play hard for 30+ minutes/game. If he does that he'll dominate, and we'll contend for another B1G title. The other pieces are in place, IMHO.

Reactions: SKYDOG
+1

Most of the posts I read have lost sight of this guy. I think he is going to feast on the BIG defenders. - not necessarily scoring (I expect 10-12 ppg). I think he is going to be a great passer by drawing his defender out of position and will rack up assists working with Nojel and Carsen.
If he can give 10-12 a game with 6-8 boards, that’d be replacing Vince’s production and would be going a long way to a good season.

Reading through the board today while passing time at a bar in Canada I thought of 3 keys for next season:

2). Gel. This team needs to gel as the season progresses. Lots of SR loses. People in new roles. As the season progresses the team needs to come together

3). Plus 1- Someone else needs to surprise: haarms, wheeler, hunter? Don’t know who but someone else needs to make a leap.

Will be surprised if Hunter doesnt deliver, potential to be #2 scorer.....IF his D is up to CMPs standards.

Last edited:
Reactions: oldboiler52
Haarms blocked too many shots in early season against lesser non athletic teams.
Much of his success came from his height and athletic ability, mobility for his height.

It as too many as it come too easy and as he faced better competition it became more difficult. Thus his attempts to block shots just put him out of position. Hopefully he will adjust by getting better position to block these athletes shots or pass on the block attempt if it’s not there.

Reactions: nagemj02
Haarms blocked too many shots in early season against lesser non athletic teams.
Much of his success came from his height and athletic ability, mobility for his height.

It as too many as it come too easy and as he faced better competition it became more difficult. Thus his attempts to block shots just put him out of position. Hopefully he will adjust by getting better position to block these athletes shots or pass on the block attempt if it’s not there.
He better come back able to make a free throw with consistency.

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
Painter has been saying Ryan Cline " WILL " have a breakout year . Not may have but WILL have . Also he said Cline will be key to Carsen not drawing the double teams . Hard to disagree with the one man who should know .

I think Cline will be a constant along with Carson. The later post made a good point about Cline being critical to open space now. He doesn't need to be great just solid.

I think the scoring aspect for Nojel would be less critical if he can get 8 or 9 assists. You could tell he was a special passer in his first two games. It also looks like he'll be able to attack the rim and get fouls or buckets pretty consistently. He really just needs to get those points if he's setting up others for good looks.

It would be interesting to see if painter will change up the offense to see what Carson and nojel could do

Painter's base offense doesn't need to.change but he'll likely run more sets for guards versus playing inside out. Haarms needs to be able to consistently hit from 15 a la JJ to open things up. That's assuming Haarms plays a stretch 5 on offense like JJ was versus a post first player like Haas, AJ and to a lesser extent Biggie.

I think Cline will be a constant along with Carson. The later post made a good point about Cline being critical to open space now. He doesn't need to be great just solid.

I think the scoring aspect for Nojel would be less critical if he can get 8 or 9 assists. You could tell he was a special passer in his first two games. It also looks like he'll be able to attack the rim and get fouls or buckets pretty consistently. He really just needs to get those points if he's setting up others for good looks.

It would be interesting to see if painter will change up the offense to see what Carson and nojel could do
Agree on Cline.

No one has ever averaged 8 assists a game for Purdue in its basketball history. Trey Young was the only player to average over 8 assists a game in the NCAA last year. Considering Eastern averaged 1 assists a game last year, 8 or 9 seems like a tall order.

Yeah, with the way the offense is ran, I'd be impressed if Eastern averaged 4.5 or 5 assists per game, let alone 8 or 9. He will more likely average 2.5 to 3 assists per game.

Painter has been saying Ryan Cline " WILL " have a breakout year . Not may have but WILL have . Also he said Cline will be key to Carsen not drawing the double teams . Hard to disagree with the one man who should know .

I think it's wishful thinking on Painter's part. If Cline hasn't broken out after three years, I don't see it now. I think it's just Painter publicly challenging Cline and nothing more. If Painter's right and it happens, that's great.

I think it's wishful thinking on Painter's part. If Cline hasn't broken out after three years, I don't see it now. I think it's just Painter publicly challenging ClineCline and nothing more. If Painter's right and it happens, that's great.

You may be right, but whose minutes / shots would Cline have taken the last three years?

Will be surprised if Hunter doesnt deliver, potential to be #2 scorer.....IF his D is up to CMPs standards.
My exact thoughts.... Hunter is a scoring machine & will play big minutes if his D is up to snuff. I could see CE playing the point & Hunter at the 2. NE will still get his minutes because of his D, ability to rebound & get put backs.

Reactions: BoilerIron
Cline had plenty of minutes to “break out” and show off his skills. Not sure minutes were the issue.

I don't have the link, but Painter said last year that minutes were a significant issue for Ryan, that's its tough for a shooter to find his rhythm when playing limited minutes.

Cline did what he was asked and his role on offense last year was to make good passes and knock down open looks, which he did. I don't expect him to all of a.sudden be a superstar, but I don't think that 25mpg and 12ppg on 45% three pt shooting is unrealistic. What do you expect to see from him?

I don't have the link, but Painter said last year that minutes were a significant issue for Ryan, that's its tough for a shooter to find his rhythm when playing limited minutes.

Cline did what he was asked and his role on offense last year was to make good passes and knock down open looks, which he did. I don't expect him to all of a.sudden be a superstar, but I don't think that 25mpg and 12ppg on 45% three pt shooting is unrealistic. What do you expect to see from him?

There are several posters on this site that project big things from some of our unproven young players and at the same time minimize the impact Cline will have next year.

For example. I've seen variations of the thought that if Nojel works on his shot this summer then ......." Some posters go so far as to project that he'll be leaving for the NBA after his sophomore or junior year. The reality is that every guard or forward in the country will be working on their free throw and three point shooting over the summer. Some will improve significantly and some won't. We all hope Nojel's shot improves but we really won't know until we see him play some games next year.

Another example is Aaron Wheeler. He looks like a great athlete and we all hope he can develop into a great player but the reality is that he was a red shirt freshmen last year who we haven't seen do a whole lot. Wheeler may develop and be great but to this point I don't believe there is a lot of evidence to backup some of the meteoric projections on this board.

Now back to Cline. He's shot over 40% from three over the course of his career in somewhat limited minutes. As a sophomore he started several games over Carson and the Coach is inferring he'll get more minutes next year. Dakota shot 47% and PJ shot 44% from three last year. We'll have far fewer proven scorers next year, so yea, I do believe its entirely possible that Cline will shoot 45% from three next year and score 12 points per game,

Last edited:

I would be ecstatic with those numbers. I think that’s the ceiling but could mean great things for this team if he achieves it.

Won't argue with your assessment. I'd be happy with 10 to 12ppg. Just not sure he'll be able to get there. And I'm not sure his defense won't be a liability.

Won't argue with your assessment. I'd be happy with 10 to 12ppg. Just not sure he'll be able to get there. And I'm not sure his defense won't be a liability.
At the Fort Wayne Purdue Club, Elliot Bloom, speaking for Painter said, Cline would improve his scoring over everyone on the team and has a much improved attitude.

Reactions: purduepat1969
At the Fort Wayne Purdue Club, Elliot Bloom, speaking for Painter said, Cline would improve his scoring over everyone on the team and has a much improved attitude.
Is that to imply he had an attitude problem last year?

It seems that after each of his 3 seasons so far someone says that he needs to get stronger. Not really sure what that implies.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT