ADVERTISEMENT

2nd half officiating??

I lost count on how many times the announcers called this a final four crew. Like it was supposed to make it hurt less. It was almost like they were trying to convince themselves. You can say many things about our defense, or them hitting threes, or our turnovers, but when the officials take over a game as they did, it will clearly had an avalanche effect on fundamentally how we played each possession. It’s really a shame.

Reactions: Schnelk
I actually didn’t realize how close it was until I slowed it down frame by frame.

In real time it looked obvious he was set. The defender clearly has position (text book position) before the offensive player starts to go up, however he seems to take an extra step to brace for impact and the defender jumped from pretty far out. He still is set and outside of the circle before the offensive player goes up though. The VT player launched himself st the Purdue player and at one point started to twist his body to avoid the contact and then straightened it back out to try for the shot. When you slow it down frame by frame it’s actually tough to see when the VT player leaves the ground because of the primary defenser’s location. Without a doubt, the right foot is down (and he hasn’t started the push off/upward motion yet) and he hasn’t started going up yet, but you can’t see the left foot. What you can see is that his body hasn’t started going up yet and the defender is set (that was much more obvious and I believe is the rule).

It was interesting, look at the entire bench’s reaction. It looked like such an obvious charge.

Reactions: Zaphod_B
I think the fact this was a tourney crew shows us some of the dangers we face against these athletic teams in March. Always feel like they give more leeway to the faster teams and it hurts us in places.

Reactions: Zaphod_B
Once again the majority of the posts are complaining about bad calls or no calls by the refs! How hard would it be to obtain game films of referees and then teach the players what the refs will call? And then plan your game strategy accordingly? How hard is that? I have to agree the refs are bad, but I can't believe they change what they call or don't call. We should know going in what to expect and play accordingly. And rather than playing our game and game and getting very few calls, we finally play their game with the calls going our way! I have to believe other teams and coaches do this.

The rules are not in the book. The rules are what the refs call and interpret! It's time we learned the ref's book!
Good idea, but the rules won't let us change to VT uniforms in the middle of the game! :cool:

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT