ADVERTISEMENT

2nd half officiating??

Granted VT started making their 3s but call the damn game fair and let the players decide the game!

I would have bet the fix was in. I just don’t understand. PU up 11 and the refs basicly took it away. Two call on Wheeler when he was not even contesting to shot, the obvious charge on SS. WTF.

Reactions: BannerYear
I thought the officiating was slanted toward VT, however, VT played better than we did in the second half. Their drives to the basket were better than ours, and drew the fouls. I think Painter wanted to see how his team would respond t this sort of game. You never want to lose, but this was going to be a good learning exercise for the whole team.

Painter isn't going to act like an idiot when the fouls were reasonable. Yes, they could have called more on VT when we drove, but I didn't see that many blatant mistakes.

Painter isn't going to act like an idiot when the fouls were reasonable. Yes, they could have called more on VT when we drove, but I didn't see that many blatant mistakes.

Ya mean like the one there at the end when they didn't call a foul on the guy that hacked Eifert and they got the ball back? Or when they called a foul on Eifert on the 3 point shooter and Eifert didn't touch him? Or, or... The game was full of blatant mistakes... I'm not blaming the loss on the refs, Purdue could have persevered if they played better, but I believe if it was called evenly, it wouldn't have even been close (in Purdue's favor).

I thought the officiating was slanted toward VT, however, VT played better than we did in the second half. Their drives to the basket were better than ours, and drew the fouls. I think Painter wanted to see how his team would respond t this sort of game. You never want to lose, but this was going to be a good learning exercise for the whole team.

Exactly. I thought VT definitely got more quick whistles than Purdue, especially in the 2nd half. That happens though.

Purdue lost due to some untimely late turnovers, rushing shots, and not being able to get stops the last 15 mins. Hill was wide open multiple times and once he got into a rhythm it was over. You have to play a full 40 mins against a team like VT and the film review will show a lot the team can learn from.

Ya mean like the one there at the end when they didn't call a foul on the guy that hacked Eifert and they got the ball back? Or when they called a foul on Eifert on the 3 point shooter and Eifert didn't touch him? Or, or... The game was full of blatant mistakes... I'm not blaming the loss on the refs, Purdue could have persevered if they played better, but I believe if it was called evenly, it wouldn't have even been close (in Purdue's favor).
The fact VT only had 14 fouls is a joke. As I said previously, I could rerun the tape and easily find 7-8 more fouls in there. That’s the game

I got the game on tape. Want me to send to clips of the egregious calls?

Reactions: FirstDownB
I got the game on tape. Want me to send to clips of the egregious calls?
As long as you also look at the missed calls on us too.

Actually, please re-read my first sentence. I am not really in disagreement with your position. I just don't think Painter was going to get all that demonstrative about the situation.

They drove the ball better and we didn't. That will usually result in drawing more fouls. We drove and didn't dish, tryin to take the ball to the basket with three VT guys jamming the paint. We played into their strengths. Painter now has their attention and ha plenty of material to work with.

Here is one..... I fee so bad for Sasha.. He looked so happy and proud of himself...

Exactly. What is a young player supposed to "learn" from this game? Like I said, too much shananigans for this young team to handle on the road...…….glad as hell no one got seriously hurt. Lots of PU bodies on the floor tonight though.

Actually, please re-read my first sentence. I am not really in disagreement with your position. I just don't think Painter was going to get all that demonstrative about the situation.

They drove the ball better and we didn't. That will usually result in drawing more fouls. We drove and didn't dish, tryin to take the ball to the basket with three VT guys jamming the paint. We played into their strengths. Painter now has their attention and ha plenty of material to work with.
In addition to them driving the ball, the second half a LOT of the time they would double and in a few cases for a split second had three players around Carsen. Haarms slipped one and Carsen threw it 120 mph off the bankboard. This was not Carsen's best game...he tried to take on too much at times. Teh team actually did better teh first half when he went out. Why? Maybe they knew they had too...but there were back cuts against the pressure and people attacking their pressure. The second half too many just looked for the three ball, but in spite of all the things...refs, dribble penetration by VT and 3 ball resulting by VT, Carsen's turnovers...JUST how many times did Purdue look to throw the ball down low. I mean if they are goingto pressure out on the perimeter like they did...can't Haarms feast inside...or Evan play inside too? VT is a nice team, but this was a winnable game had Purdue played "smarter"...

Reactions: mathboy
Where’d the refs go in the 2nd half...EVERYTHING went to VT smfh!
Found out they were oac
I wouldn't bother its not a secret, nuetral and even Virginia Tech fans saw we got jobbed at least that was the consensus on the reddit board
Where’d the refs go in the 2nd half...EVERYTHING went to VT smfh!
Found out they were refs from there conference. As a ref myself not at that level however but as an official this was not the best officiating I’ve seen. I’ll never make excuse and say the officials caused us this game bcuz they didn’t we had costly tour overs at wrong time but many of those calls they called at times when we made stops were bad calls. Good learning experience we had them games was ours. Can live and die by the 3 tho. My son is sick didn’t play his best but fouls plague him but hey move get that W fridayy

Reactions: tjreese
Found out they were oac

Found out they were refs from there conference. As a ref myself not at that level however but as an official this was not the best officiating I’ve seen. I’ll never make excuse and say the officials caused us this game bcuz they didn’t we had costly tour overs at wrong time but many of those calls they called at times when we made stops were bad calls. Good learning experience we had them games was ours. Can live and die by the 3 tho. My son is sick didn’t play his best but fouls plague him but hey move get that W fridayy
In addition to your comments on living and dying by the 3...and the TURNOVERS....I can't recall too may post feeds inside down low. They will win Friday, but like the football team..."little things" not done come back to haunt you...

Found out they were oac

I’ll never make excuse and say the officials caused us this game bcuz they didn’t we had costly tour overs at wrong time but many of those calls they called at times when we made stops were bad calls. Good learning experience we had them games was ours. Can live and die by the 3 tho. My son is sick didn’t play his best but fouls plague him but hey move get that W fridayy

You are correct but dang some of those obvious ones that were missed or called against us seemed like they came at the worst time when you factor in point swing after those plays...played well enough to win...move on and learn from the mistakes you can handle.

In addition to your comments on living and dying by the 3...and the TURNOVERS....I can't recall too may post feeds inside down low. They will win Friday, but like the football team..."little things" not done come back to haunt you...
I’m with you nojel will always have a mismatch I’m hoping that he can be utilized more inside to create more offense that will also help our shooters out if he gets double teamed. That offensive charge that player sold that call even tho he dipped his shoulder some. Number 5 was smart he initiated contact many times to make it look like he was getting foul he jerked his head back moved his arms up to make it look like he was being fouled when he wasn’t. The officials didn’t have good angels on him to see what he was doing why carsen got called for his 2nd foul. My take away from this game this team showed to heart and some toughness and had VT on there toes. They didn’t think the game wud be that close bcuz they new they had some advantages athletically. This game was there whether or not the officials made some bad calls we had costly t/o at the wrong time and this offense got be spread out more for other players to score. If the 3 ball isn’t falling gotta get other players on this team more involved in the offense to get more balance scoring from others. Purdue had VT scared what that says Purdue can go toe to toe with the best of them. Purdue gonna be alright I like what I saw out of this team fix a few things they can contend for the big ten championship. Let’s get ready for Friday now hoping my son will be feeling better by than. Coming down with something chest was on fire hopefully the Medicine kicks quickly so he can be healthy by Friday game. They all played hard just came up short big 10 has been put on notice Purdue are contenders not pretenders

Reactions: Boilersbt4
I have a hard time blaming officiating when the team gave up 50+ in the second half......other than the one call on SS .... Our team D sucked in the second half allowing open 3 after open 3. That was the problem ....not officiating.

Not going to be B1G contenders with that type of D. However.....it is early and CMP has shown abilities to improve teams... and team D will be the area he needs to improve most.

Reactions: DannyGranger
The officiating definitely changed the complexion of the game. The #16 team in the country shouldn't need the extra help. Now, how PU should have handled the screw job is up for debate.

Reactions: Ignacious McNutt
I have a hard time blaming officiating when the team gave up 50+ in the second half......other than the one call on SS .... Our team D sucked in the second half allowing open 3 after open 3. That was the problem ....not officiating.

Not going to be B1G contenders with that type of D. However.....it is early and CMP has shown abilities to improve teams... and team D will be the area he needs to improve most.
Well it's hard to play D when you're getting called for every little thing. Which is an officiating problem that directly impacted the game.

Our defense as a whole has been rather good but obviously needs work because it is being done by a very young team. What I will say is that a more veteran team would have adjusted better last night because they have been through it before, but a young team will struggle at first.

I am not worried about the defense quite honestly, it will come around.

Granted VT started making their 3s but call the damn game fair and let the players decide the game!
The officials were pretty her Renda‘s in the second half. What killed our momentum though once we tied the game was the two turnovers by CE. That we have to live with that because we get all of the good and the bad comes with it. Had NE been in the game playing point those two turnovers don’t happen. Oh well it’s early and that’s one of those games that a young team doesn’t hurt from losing because they identify the various areas of weakness, build on your strengths and shore-up your weaknesses.

I would have bet the fix was in. I just don’t understand. PU up 11 and the refs basicly took it away. Two call on Wheeler when he was not even contesting to shot, the obvious charge on SS. WTF.
I wondered as much. All of the sudden everything was being called against us and it wasn’t like they were “files“. Touching the other players not a Pfahl. And that blocking call when NE Took the charge was kind of infuriating because he was there well before and had position outside of the circle. But maybe I missed it and maybe his heels were on the line

I’m with you! It was kind of hilarious when they showed the replay on that three-point shot and Eifert didn’t touch him. The announcers were all of the sudden pretty silent. I also thought it was pretty bad when EB had a put back with two minutes left in the game and got knocked to the ground and there was no call. They kept showing the replay and even our Belgian foreign-exchange student who is never seen the game of basketball until the last couple of weeks asked me “is it legal to knock another player to the floor and basketball?“

Reactions: Zaphod_B
I was dropping five dollar cuss words when I saw it. Then emptied out the account after they gave the ball to VT when Eifert was obviously hacked from behind.
I guess this will be the official is “preseason exhibition game”. Even they have to get their crap figured out early in the year.

Every time VT drove the lane, they called a foul. VT was obviously intiating contact. I complained, but it wasn’t agregious (either the refs are inept and should be fired or they had money on the game and should be in jail) until the block on SS and the no call on Eifert getting mugged and giving the ball to VT after that.

I watched a play where Sasha (or Eifert I don’t remember at this point) was knocked down after shooting a three, then Vt on offense knocked Carsen over and then Cline over. 3 players for Purdue got knocked to the ground and VT scores with no foul called. It was shameful really.

If the refs are bad, that’s fine, so long as it was even. Both teams were not called the same way. Yes, they missed calls both ways, but they were blatantly officiating the two teams different. The foul trouble (and several were bs light touch fouls) really caused issues for Purdue.

Last edited:
I’m with you nojel will always have a mismatch I’m hoping that he can be utilized more inside to create more offense that will also help our shooters out if he gets double teamed. That offensive charge that player sold that call even tho he dipped his shoulder some. Number 5 was smart he initiated contact many times to make it look like he was getting foul he jerked his head back moved his arms up to make it look like he was being fouled when he wasn’t. The officials didn’t have good angels on him to see what he was doing why carsen got called for his 2nd foul. My take away from this game this team showed to heart and some toughness and had VT on there toes. They didn’t think the game wud be that close bcuz they new they had some advantages athletically. This game was there whether or not the officials made some bad calls we had costly t/o at the wrong time and this offense got be spread out more for other players to score. If the 3 ball isn’t falling gotta get other players on this team more involved in the offense to get more balance scoring from others. Purdue had VT scared what that says Purdue can go toe to toe with the best of them. Purdue gonna be alright I like what I saw out of this team fix a few things they can contend for the big ten championship. Let’s get ready for Friday now hoping my son will be feeling better by than. Coming down with something chest was on fire hopefully the Medicine kicks quickly so he can be healthy by Friday game. They all played hard just came up short big 10 has been put on notice Purdue are contenders not pretenders

I very much agree with this statement “If the 3 ball isn’t falling gotta get other players on this team more involved in the offense to get more balance scoring from others.“

There will be times when Carsen puts this team on his shoulders with his scoring this year, but he has to do a better job anticipating traps coming and getting rid of the ball sooner. That should come with practice and experience.

As Carsen develops trust in his teamsters he’ll hopefully also develop a better feel as to when to play through the offense and when to force the issue.

Reactions: Schnelk

I do believe VT out played us in the end game and I am not saying we necessarily deserved to or would have won otherwise but in the last 4 minutes of the game, starting with the uncalled charge there were three calls against us that were verbally commented on or doubt expressed as to the call by the commentators. No calls against VT was questioned in that same period. SO I am pretty sure that if pressed, either of the network guys calling the game would agree that at the end, VT was getting the calls.

I do believe VT out played us in the end game and I am not saying we necessarily deserved to or would have won otherwise but in the last 4 minutes of the game, starting with the uncalled charge there were three calls against us that were verbally commented on or doubt expressed as to the call by the commentators. No calls against VT was questioned in that same period. SO I am pretty sure that if pressed, either of the network guys calling the game would agree that at the end, VT was getting the calls.
And based on the sheer amount of calls against us vs VT, if something was missed it was very infrequent.

You can credit good scoring by their guards, but the difference was the fouls on Eastern. The 2nd foul (I think) was a phantom foul where the scorer basically threw himself into Nojel. The third foul was the offensive where the guy flopped. That was a 50/50 call and will give it to them even though I hate to see floppers rewarded (although EB did it twice and Sasha once and neither got the call). After NE's third foul their scoring went up from 1.78 ppm to 2.91 ppm the rest of the game and that is when they were on fire. The fourth one really pissed me off as it was a 2 point game and the VT "screener" pretty much bumped NE into the ballhandler. Could have been an illegal screen but really was just inadvertent contact by both and should not have been called. You get to play with 4 fouls and I get 1 bad call to handicap you, but NE got 3-4 that were questionable.

Once again the majority of the posts are complaining about bad calls or no calls by the refs! How hard would it be to obtain game films of referees and then teach the players what the refs will call? And then plan your game strategy accordingly? How hard is that? I have to agree the refs are bad, but I can't believe they change what they call or don't call. We should know going in what to expect and play accordingly. And rather than playing our game and game and getting very few calls, we finally play their game with the calls going our way! I have to believe other teams and coaches do this.

The rules are not in the book. The rules are what the refs call and interpret! It's time we learned the ref's book!

Once again the majority of the posts are complaining about bad calls or no calls by the refs! How hard would it be to obtain game films of referees and then teach the players what the refs will call? And then plan your game strategy accordingly? How hard is that? I have to agree the refs are bad, but I can't believe they change what they call or don't call. We should know going in what to expect and play accordingly. And rather than playing our game and game and getting very few calls, we finally play their game with the calls going our way! I have to believe other teams and coaches do this.

The rules are not in the book. The rules are what the refs call and interpret! It's time we learned the ref's book!
Every game is a little different on most calls, due to different refs, style of play and other factors. Most players know what refs look for , but with the speed of the game and human nature, its not always easy to react accordingly.

Reactions: Schnelk
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT