ADVERTISEMENT

21-22 Roster

TC4THREE

All-American
Mar 20, 2002
Just thought a thread on this board would be useful since it is no longer updated on this site. Will try to update as things change.

21-22 Roster

Seniors (5)
Brooke Moore - started 18 games in 20-21. 12.1 ppg. 39% fg, 32% 3 pt, 74% ft. 39/39 assists/turnovers.
Rokia Doumbia - averaged 14.7 mpg in 20-21. 3.7 ppg 3.3 rpg. 47/14/63 shooting. 23/31 assists/turnovers.
Cassidy Hardin - averaged 12 mpg in 20-21. 2.8 ppg on 29/28/75 shooting. 8/14 assists/turnovers.
Ajah Stallings - started 2 games in 20-21 and averaged 7.4 mpg for season.
Nyagoa Gony - averaged 3.7 mpg across 12 appearances in 20-21.

Juniors(4)
Mide Oriyomi - started all 20 games for Northeastern in 20-21. 31 mpg. 11.6 and 7.7 on 39/33/78. 15/49 A/T
Jenae Terry - started all 23 games for Illinois in 20-21. 30 mpg. 10.7 and 7.8 on 39/26/73. 101/96 A/T
Abbey Ellis - started 23/24 games at Cal Poly in 20-21. 31.3 mpg. 15.3 ppg. 4.7 rpg. 39/36/89. 62/70 A/T
Rickie Woltman - averaged 5 mpg in 13 appearances in 20-21. 13 points and 11 rebounds total.

Sophomores (2)
Madison Layden - started 21 of 23 games in 20-21. 32 mpg. 8.7 ppg on 43/41/75. 69/44 assists/turnovers.
Ra Shaya Kyle - averaged 11.3 mpg in 20-21. 5.3 ppg. 3.8 rpg. 57% fg. 27/54 free throws (50%). 20 blocks.

Freshmen (3)
Ava Learn (NY) - Limited senior season due to Covid. Averaged 19 ppg, 11 rpg and 4 bpg as a junior.
Jayla Smith (IN) - 2021 Indiana Miss Basketball.
Skye Williams (OH) - ranked #93 in class per ESPNW rankings.

2022 Signees (3)
Ainhoa Holzer - Swiss. 1 season in NYC before returning home due to pandemic. Reclassed 21 to 22.
Lilly Stoddard - ranked #71 in class per ESPNW rankings. Won 4A state championship in 20-21.
Addison Potts - ranked 89th in 2022. 6'0" point guard.

2023 Verbals (4)
McKenna Layden - 22.9 points, 8.5 rebounds, 6.1 assists and 3.5 steals per game as a sophomore.
Rashunda Jones - ranked 53rd in 2023.
Sophie Swanson
Emily Monson

Decommits
Sacha Washington (21) - Vanderbilt
Abby Jegede (22) - Villanova
Nicole Melious (23) - Georgia Tech

Transfers
Roxane Makolo - missed 20-21 b/c knee. 11.4 mpg in 31 games in 19-20. 1.0 and 1.5 on 23/00/36. 21/28 A/T

Last edited:
Now which ones will be starters and legit contributors? and which ones are transfers? And the verbals, what are their prospect rankings?, etc.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gary69
The 2022 verbals are all foreign signings correct? And not that foreign players can't be great players, but it shows how far the program has fallen and why a change in leadership was so important.

Lilly Stoddard is from Crown Point, Indiana, so not a foreign player. Had multiple Power 5 offers.

Thanks for this. A mixmaster to figure out, but hopefully Katie will do it. Layden a great new recruit. Impossible to tell what the team will do this year.

Even harder than usual to develop any expectations for the freshmen. Indiana played a fairly full high school basketball season but looking up some of our other recruits it looks like many places didn't get a season this past winter. Our 2021 class was ranked top 25 before losing Washington. It still has some interesting talent. I think all 3 could be contributors but it will be interesting to see if any are ready to help immediately.

Reactions: DavidBoiler
I have him on ignore. Is he banging that foreign-players-cant-play drum again?
you know that's not what I think! good grief... I said that foreign players can be good players... what I said was and it's pretty obvious to any sane intelligent human life form, is that Sharon hasn't been able to recruit elite players, even Madison was just a top 70ish national recruit, and Lilly Stoddard is a top 58 ranked player in that class, when Sharon has needed to recruit top 15-20 nationally ranked players to get this program turned around, and the 2022 class while on her way out the door is representative having to settle for a Swiss, and Canadian player along with Stoddard. Neither of them have been mentioned anywhere that I've read as being ranked recruits at all. And that class which we'll all wait to see if they even decide to all come to Purdue after Katie Gearlds takes over next April, is indicative of Sharon's struggles recruiting...Something she suffered with her whole tenure here at Purdue. And her lackluster record last season and her won loss records most of her previous seasons speak for themselves.

Last edited:
Thanks goodness that this whole list is fluid and will change a lot even by next April because of the transfer portal phenomenon that is now in play in college basketball. I'm going to guess that at least 3 of the non-seniors in the list will more than likely transfer and Katie likewise will more that likely accept 3-4 incoming transfers from other schools starting in April of next year as she tries to find players that fit her coaching agenda, her philosophies and her coaching style. I get the feeling from what I've read that she wants a fast paced offensive scheme, a much more up and down the court running style and a more full court pressing style than SV has had. We'll see, but I hope that Katie brings a more exciting brand of basketball to the WBB program. And that will mean recruiting players that more fit that style.

Last edited:
Lilly Stoddard is from Crown Point, Indiana, so not a foreign player. Had multiple Power 5 offers.

Last edited:
Top 58 ranking by ESPN, when Sharon has needed to sign top 15-20 recruits to get this program turned around. She will more than likely be post depth.
Top 60 player is just backup post depth, I see lol. I'm friends with Lilly's parents, have watched her play many times. She'll be a nice player here, might not be year 1 as she does need to get stronger, however, top 60 recruits will be much needed on West Lafayette.

Updated for the apparent Jegede decommitment and added two previous decommits also. Jegede wasn't going to be on the roster until next season but since I didn't do a separate thread for 2022 recruiting I thought it made most sense to add it here.

The 2022 verbals are all foreign signings correct? And not that foreign players can't be great players, but it shows how far the program has fallen and why a change in leadership was so important.
I think your assumption is off just a bit. Double check where these players are coming from. Other than that, I echo your refrain about how far we have fallen and how far back up we've got to come. :cool:

Just thought a thread on this board would be useful since it is no longer updated on this site. Will try to update as things change.

21-22 Roster

Seniors (5)
Brooke Moore - started 18 games in 20-21. 12.1 ppg. 39% fg, 32% 3 pt, 74% ft. 39/39 assists/turnovers.
Rokia Doumbia - averaged 14.7 mpg in 20-21. 3.7 ppg 3.3 rpg. 47/14/63 shooting. 23/31 assists/turnovers.
Cassidy Hardin - averaged 12 mpg in 20-21. 2.8 ppg on 29/28/75 shooting. 8/14 assists/turnovers.
Ajah Stallings - started 2 games in 20-21 and averaged 7.4 mpg for season.
Nyagoa Gony - averaged 3.7 mpg across 12 appearances in 20-21.

Juniors(5)
Mide Oriyomi - started all 20 games for Northeastern in 20-21. 31 mpg. 11.6 and 7.7 on 39/33/78. 15/49 A/T
Jenae Terry - started all 23 games for Illinois in 20-21. 30 mpg. 10.7 and 7.8 on 39/26/73. 101/96 A/T
Roxane Makolo - missed 20-21 b/c knee. 11.4 mpg in 31 games in 19-20. 1.0 and 1.5 on 23/00/36. 21/28 A/T
Abbey Ellis - started 23/24 games at Cal Poly in 20-21. 31.3 mpg. 15.3 ppg. 4.7 rpg. 39/36/89. 62/70 A/T
Rickie Woltman - averaged 5 mpg in 13 appearances in 20-21. 13 points and 11 rebounds total.

Sophomores(2)
Madison Layden - started 21 of 23 games in 20-21. 32 mpg. 8.7 ppg on 43/41/75. 69/44 assists/turnovers.
Ra Shaya Kyle - averaged 11.3 mpg in 20-21. 5.3 ppg. 3.8 rpg. 57% fg. 27/54 free throws (50%). 20 blocks.

Freshmen(3)
Ava Learn (NY) - Limited senior season due to Covid. Averaged 19 ppg, 11 rpg and 4 bpg as a junior.
Jayla Smith (IN) - 2021 Indiana Miss Basketball.
Skye Williams (OH) - ranked #93 in class per ESPNW rankings.

2022 Verbals(4)
Ainhoa Holzer - Swiss. 1 season in NYC before returning home due to pandemic. Reclassed 21 to 22.
Lilly Stoddard - ranked #71 in class per ESPNW rankings. Won 4A state championship in 20-21.
Addison Potts - ranked 89th in 2022. 6'0" point guard.

2023 Verbals(1)
McKenna Layden - 22.9 points, 8.5 rebounds, 6.1 assists and 3.5 steals per game as a sophomore.

Decommits
Sacha Washington (21) - Vanderbilt
Abby Jegede (22)
Nicole Melious (23) - Georgia Tech

Looking at the roster, the upperclassmen (outside the 3 transfers) are rather pedestrian. Might explain why we were doing so poorly in the last few years. It remains to be seen how the 3 transfers will perform since only one of them play P5 ball, but it is a bit concerning that all of them shot < 40% FG.

We'll be leaning heavily on the underclassmen and the transfers.

Best of luck, Katie! Really want to see her succeed and bring us back to the top of the mountain where we belong.

Reactions: Purdue80
Thanks for this; I think a lot of flux ahead. Winning coaches figure it out eventually. Time will tell.
Yeah. It's going to be tough to keep track of but I'm going to try as things get sorted out. The big question I see is how much eligibility players have left and who plans to use the extra year that everyone got last year. I don't anticipate many of our seniors this season will be back the following season, but I think most all of them could from an eligibility aspect if both sides want it.

Listened to Katie's presser. Very impressive but all coaches say the right things. She did remind me of Painter tho with her win attitude. No way we can judge her at the beginning until she gets the chance to coach and recruit.
What I am looking for:1) Not losing players to transfer every season which was a big problem under Coach V. Continuity is huge in a program. 2) Playing like the team knows what it is doing on O and D. That has manifestly not been true for years. I believe V rode on her early talent and when that slipped the lack of good coaching wrecked us.
3) Recruiting some big time players, perhaps in a WNBA five star player at some point.
But, that being said, it appears that she knows what she is doing and will work as hard and smart as possible.
P,S. But talent is a big deal and the level of play. Katie dominated at Marian. That means nothing. The Illinois coach won 8 national championships at Div, III. so she knew how to coach, but the Illinois program is a disaster on all levels. So we will see what really translates. Not optimistic or pessimistic, but hopeful.

I'm hoping for something similar to what we saw in CMP's first season. The talent will be whatever it is but they can still play hard, smart, and to their strengths. Hoping to see fewer turnovers and a more purposeful offense than we have recently.

Thinking starters could be Moore, Layden, Terry, Ellis, and Kyle. That leaves us with Kyle as the only true post starting. I'm think her and Oriyomi might be a situation where you try to get 40 mpg between the two of them. Then perhaps Woltman or any of the 3 freshmen might be ready to contribute some also.

AGree, seems like the starting lineup. Only time will tell about the depth. Like you, I want to see a team that plays hard and seems to know what it is doing. If Katie can stop the layup line by bigs on D that would be huge. Also the unforced TO's. That too would be a big deal. Excited to see what she does, but she will get no crabbing from me.

Just listened to the Katie Gearlds show from last night. Had a couple of notes.

1. From the sounds of it, Cassidy Hardin is in line for a bigger role than last season. She was the guest last night on the first show and CKG had very nice things to say about her. She was also one of the three players that went to Big Ten media day in Indy in October. At this point, I'll be surprised if she's not a starter and averaging 20+ mpg.

2. CKG also thinks we'll be .500 or better and thinks we can/will make the tournament. I mean, you would expect your coach to have those sort of expectations regardless but it seems she thinks she has a squad she can compete with. There's a fine line between winning and losing some of these games. A .500 or better record would represent a step forward from last season and I think that, or anything beyond that, would be viewed as a successful season by most all of us fans.

3. One more things she said last night that was music to my ears was that she wants the team to shoot the ball before we turn it over. Given our problems turning the ball over in recent seasons, I loved to hear that. Particularly in the halfcourt, don't pass up decent looks at the basket to search for great ones that may never materialize. Even a tough shot is better than a turnover that breaks the other way and it seems like we're going to be more aggressive offensively.

Just listened to the Katie Gearlds show from last night. Had a couple of notes.

1. From the sounds of it, Cassidy Hardin is in line for a bigger role than last season. She was the guest last night on the first show and CKG had very nice things to say about her. She was also one of the three players that went to Big Ten media day in Indy in October. At this point, I'll be surprised if she's not a starter and averaging 20+ mpg.

2. CKG also thinks we'll be .500 or better and thinks we can/will make the tournament. I mean, you would expect your coach to have those sort of expectations regardless but it seems she thinks she has a squad she can compete with. There's a fine line between winning and losing some of these games. A .500 or better record would represent a step forward from last season and I think that, or anything beyond that, would be viewed as a successful season by most all of us fans.

3. One more things she said last night that was music to my ears was that she wants the team to shoot the ball before we turn it over. Given our problems turning the ball over in recent seasons, I loved to hear that. Particularly in the halfcourt, don't pass up decent looks at the basket to search for great ones that may never materialize. Even a tough shot is better than a turnover that breaks the other way and it seems like we're going to be more aggressive offensively.
Agree with #1 and #3. Not so sure about #2 as I have stated elsewhere but I hope you are right.

I always value your opinion, TC4THREE.

Reactions: TC4THREE
Agree with #1 and #3. Not so sure about #2 as I have stated elsewhere but I hope you are right.

I always value your opinion, TC4THREE.

I think some of the reason for the love for Cassidy is she was one of the few vets on the team that stayed around and didn't jump ship like most of the other veteran players did and leave the program. Maybe because of her unfinished academic studies at Purdue. She really seems to have a bright future ahead of her in the medical field and she appears to have wanted to stay and complete her education. Whatever the reasons are I have a real renewed appreciation now for Cassidy Harden. I'm not going to go as far as you did and say that she'll average 20+ points this season, mainly because Katie's up tempo vision for this team doesn't fit in with what I've seen of Cassidy's game in the past. We'll see. She's definitely a 3 point shooting threat and was underused by Versyp in past seasons I think. We'll see on Sunday a glimpse at how she's adapting to this new offensive style and this new run up and down the court style of play.

I think some of the reason for the love for Cassidy is she was one of the few vets on the team that stayed around and didn't jump ship like most of the other veteran players did and leave the program. Maybe because of her unfinished academic studies at Purdue. She really seems to have a bright future ahead of her in the medical field and she appears to have wanted to stay and complete her education. Whatever the reasons are I have a real renewed appreciation now for Cassidy Harden. I'm not going to go as far as you did and say that she'll average 20+ points this season, mainly because Katie's up tempo vision for this team doesn't fit in with what I've seen of Cassidy's game in the past. We'll see. She's definitely a 3 point shooting threat and was underused by Versyp in past seasons I think. We'll see on Sunday a glimpse at how she's adapting to this new offensive style and this new run up and down the court style of play.
I said I thought she'd average 20 minutes per game, not points.

Reactions: JeffBoiler
I said I thought she'd average 20 minutes per game, not points.
My bad... sorry... it's a no brainer she'll average 20 minutes a game. I think she'll average 25 minutes a game. One stat I heard on the ESPN broadcast last night, is that she's only scored 11 baskets in her 4 year career at Purdue that weren't from 3 point range... Wow... She's either making a 3 point shot or she's not making a shot at all.

Updated for the Jones commitment and the Makolo departure.

It will be interesting to see what seniors, if any, are back next year. The roster count is at 12 right now if all the seniors leave, all the underclassmen stay, and all the recruits make it to campus.

Moore and Hardin are the seniors that are seeing the most playing time. I believe Hardin has applied to medical schools so I'd be surprised if she came back.

Watching some of her videos and it's pretty shocking she only has a couple offers - she looks like an absolute beast and is putting up video game numbers. She's apparently a very young senior so this could just be a matter of getting really lucky in finding a player who just put it all together really late and somewhat just falls into our lap - that's if she commits of course.

Reactions: TC4THREE
ADVERTISEMENT