ADVERTISEMENT

2025 Recruiting

I agree on some points, no reason to not play Stoddard and Potts in blowouts, both families were close and both went to games, give the girls some minutes when games were decided. In Stoddard’s case a bit of animosity has happened because of that. They’re a great family but would get irritated as any family would, play the kid a little in blowouts.
I get your sentiment about families but this is high level basketball. I would argue feel good moments just to make someone happy are better served for lower level D1 teams or walkons.

And regardless of if there was any drama behind the scenes like why Stodderd left the team before the BTT CKG sent a message to players who werent hers to move on.

I agree on some points, no reason to not play Stoddard and Potts in blowouts, both families were close and both went to games, give the girls some minutes when games were decided. In Stoddard’s case a bit of animosity has happened because of that. They’re a great family but would get irritated as any family would, play the kid a little in blowouts.
I guess a part of me questions this also. How could they be that bad or were put into that doghouse with a "no exit" sign, to not play at all even in a mop-up role? And it seems obvious that all the coaches were onboard with it. That said, maybe there is more to the story than we know.

DubJellison-Is there more to this, from your perspective and knowledge?

Reactions: MichaelRR
I guess a part of me questions this also. How could they be that bad or were put into that doghouse with a "no exit" sign, to not play at all even in a mop-up role? And it seems obvious that all the coaches were onboard with it. That said, maybe there is more to the story than we know.

DubJellison-Is there more to this, from your perspective and knowledge?

Honestly who cares? It’s almost August and we are still talking about this. She was a Versyp recruit. Versyp never coached her. She came - didn’t fit the system - so she didn’t play. And then transferred somewhere else. The minutes she did play you could tell she wasn’t ready. This happens ALL the time in every program - especially in ones who had a coaching change. This is really stupid to continue bickering about this. None of it effected our win/loss total. I really think it’s time to MOVE ON.

The "cult of personality" is certainly obvious here. Even when CKG is not directly criticized some militant posters feel the need to rush to her defense. It's like no one learned anything from the 15 year slog of Versyp and her cult following. Not saying CKG will fail, but it's obvious no matter what her results some "fans" on here will support her until their dying breath
Because Katie is incredibly likeable and she has an amazing legacy here at Purdue...imho Katie was the most overall talented player to ever play at Purdue. And her passion and love for her alma mater is off the charts. Don't be doggin our Katie. :) Boiler Up!

Reactions: Purdue80
Because Katie is incredibly likeable and she has an amazing legacy here at Purdue...imho Katie was the most overall talented player to ever play at Purdue. And her passion and love for her alma mater is off the charts. Don't be doggin our Katie. :) Boiler Up!
Sure she is, if you only consider from 2004 onward. Otherwise she is not in the top 10 of all time Purdue women's players and is not at all in the same category as Katie Douglas who's accomplishments eclipse KG's in nearly every way possible but 3 point shooting. KD one NCAA title, one runner up. KG a couple elite 8 appearances where her shoddy defense was the key factor in Wright's senior season ending in the E8 level instead of another FF appearance. KD two time first team AA and comeback player of the year. KG one third team AA recognition, which if it had been available in earlier years would be shared by Figgs, Cooper, and several other Purdue greats who played when there was only first team selections. Then there is their pro careers where KD was an allstar 9 times and KG sat the bench for two years before washing out.

And this says NOTHING about how Katie Gearlds will do as Purdue's coach. In fact great players usually make lousy coaches, as the players who had to work harder to even play tend to have a better understanding of the game and know better how to relate it to their players. CKG will be judged strictly on how her teams perform on the floor, and her loyalty, success of lack of it in her playing days nor any of that should factor into if she is retained or Purdue moves a different direction in a few years. We will know what we have as a coach after year 4 or 5 IMO, and not before.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT