ADVERTISEMENT

2023 Portal News/Musings

Top 30-35 player coming out of high school, averaged 4 points and 5 rebounds this year, would think Purdue would have interest.

Interesting on Reynolds, is it possible we see both in Boiler uniforms next year? Can the Sr that signed be released out of her letter, I do know she suffered I believe a ACL tear in the Sectionals.

Interesting on Reynolds, is it possible we see both in Boiler uniforms next year? Can the Sr that signed be released out of her letter, I do know she suffered I believe a ACL tear in the Sectionals.
Which is a good question to be asked if the Layden sisters want to play together but elsewhere. I have no inside intel on this, but the Reynolds situation almost exactly mirrors the Layden situation and clearly last year was not a good one for Madison.

Which is a good question to be asked if the Layden sisters want to play together but elsewhere. I have no inside intel on this, but the Reynolds situation almost exactly mirrors the Layden situation and clearly last year was not a good one for Madison.
Madison did battle thru injuries, I agree though, she seemed miserable last year.

interesting note - Alaina Harper, 6’3 post and little sister to Caitlyn is in portal out of Grand Canyon. Had a solid freshman campaign - interesting to see if KG is interested.

Interesting on Reynolds, is it possible we see both in Boiler uniforms next year? Can the Sr that signed be released out of her letter, I do know she suffered I believe a ACL tear in the Sectional

She injured a ligament in her foot I believe, I don’t think it was ACL. But, yes, she and her sister would make great additions to our programs!

Interesting on Reynolds, is it possible we see both in Boiler uniforms next year? Can the Sr that signed be released out of her letter, I do know she suffered I believe a ACL tear in the Sectional

She injured a ligament in her foot I believe, I don’t think it was ACL. But, yes, she and her sister would make great additions to our programs!
The sister did get released out of her letter, not sure if she’ll be ready for next year, both make sense for Purdue, would be two nice additions. Purdue has the room available, plus they could still add 1 more portal player, we’ll see another player or two leave. Has Terry confirmed she’ll be back yet?

The sister did get released out of her letter, not sure if she’ll be ready for next year, both make sense for Purdue, would be two nice additions. Purdue has the room available, plus they could still add 1 more portal player, we’ll see another player or two leave. Has Terry confirmed she’ll be back yet?
Terry is coming back

Her and Harper splitting minutes wouldn’t be the worst thing.
Just realized Virginia’s coach recruited her out of high school when she was an assistant at MSU so I would think they’d be a factor here but KG and the WBB twitter account are following her on IG so I would think there’s interest there

Reactions: purduedavie
Madison did battle thru injuries, I agree though, she seemed miserable last year.
I’ve been dumbfounded this season on what injuries she battled through? She appeared to not want to play so sat out, was very slow, acted miserable, burned out . Those aren’t injuries but a lack of heart. Recall some of us discussing how KG was very vague about her. Mental health protocol maybe? I’m not being trite I just don’t think she was injured at all….but maybe I missed something?

Youre probably right about mental health. Hadnt thought of that. The whole thing was very vague when CKG normally discussed what injuries players had during the season. This is also assuming that if she just gave up that she would be at the end of the bench with Potts and Stodderd.

Youre probably right about mental health. Hadnt thought of that. The whole thing was very vague when CKG normally discussed what injuries players had during the season. This is also assuming that if she just gave up that she would be at the end of the bench with Potts and Stodderd.
I think KG didn’t intend to, but ended up planting a seed with people because she was so vague. Coaches talk about injuries but mental health is hands off…. It’s a buzzword in college sports I think. Players mention it and I think coaches have to be hands off. It’s valid for some kids I’m sure, but for others it’s probably a way to rest. It was interesting that she sat out after that MD game, and when KG avoided addressing it, that made it appear to be due to a non-physical issue. Again, I could be wrong.

I’ve been dumbfounded this season on what injuries she battled through? She appeared to not want to play so sat out, was very slow, acted miserable, burned out . Those aren’t injuries but a lack of heart. Recall some of us discussing how KG was very vague about her. Mental health protocol maybe? I’m not being trite I just don’t think she was injured at all….but maybe I missed something?
I'm not sure she ever recovered from CKG playing her almost a month last year with an ankle hurt so bad she was visibly limping up and down the floor.

Reactions: HoopDad317
Possible new target: 6’2 post Amani Freeman is in the portal out of Miami OH. She was a SR so I assume she’s a grad transfer. She’s from Avon. Averaged 8.4, 5.1 boards this past year.

Reactions: DocRon
Interesting development that just happened as UTA senior star 6’2 F Starr Jacobs just decided to transfer. When the off-season hit this was the prospect I was most interested in following. 2 -time WAC POY. I thought if she had entered 4 months ago, KG would’ve been very interested. Seems like her exit at UTA is a good one - she has a great relationship with Wright - something that would help KG had she come available.

Wonder if KG has any interest. Adding an experienced athletic post was the one thing the staff really needed to do. Adding Mila will prove great for the future. She has a year of B1G experience but rarely played in games, Personally I’d love to add Jacobs for 1 year to be a bridge player - maybe even redshirt the younger Harper. Right now we are looking at heavily relying on 3 relatively inexperienced posts (Mila, Harper and Stephenson) to come in and help carry a thin post situation. Jacobs would help immensely with that.

Interesting development that just happened as UTA senior star 6’2 F Starr Jacobs just decided to transfer. When the off-season hit this was the prospect I was most interested in following. 2 -time WAC POY. I thought if she had entered 4 months ago, KG would’ve been very interested. Seems like her exit at UTA is a good one - she has a great relationship with Wright - something that would help KG had she come available.

Wonder if KG has any interest. Adding an experienced athletic post was the one thing the staff really needed to do. Adding Mila will prove great for the future. She has a year of B1G experience but rarely played in games, Personally I’d love to add Jacobs for 1 year to be a bridge player - maybe even redshirt the younger Harper. Right now we are looking at heavily relying on 3 relatively inexperienced posts (Mila, Harper and Stephenson) to come in and help carry a thin post situation. Jacobs would help immensely with that.
While I doubt a player from UTA could be much help in the BT, as long as she is not toxic in the locker room she could at least be a good practice opponent.

While I doubt a player from UTA could be much help in the BT, as long as she is not toxic in the locker room she could at least be a good practice opponent.

She’s a two-time WAC player of the year averaging 21/6 and 18/8 the last two years. Has Harper been able to help out much in the big ten? She was a reigning WAC POY before coming here.

She’s a two-time WAC player of the year averaging 21/6 and 18/8 the last two years. Has Harper been able to help out much in the big ten? She was a reigning WAC POY before coming here.
We can debate on Harpers effectiveness, her offense has been okay, her defense has been mediocre to poor in my opinion. So if you only look at offensive stats, she's an asset, if you pay attention to defense she is a liability. Overall???? I'm not sure if I'd rather have her or just Woltman and Learn last season.

We can debate on Harpers effectiveness, her offense has been okay, her defense has been mediocre to poor in my opinion. So if you only look at offensive stats, she's an asset, if you pay attention to defense she is a liability. Overall???? I'm not sure if I'd rather have her or just Woltman and Learn last season.
You are incredibly just not smart. I can’t debate someone with this lack of basketball intellect. There is absolutely no credible argument you can make that says Harper wasn’t effective in the big ten.

Last edited:
You are incredibly just not smart. I can’t debate someone with this lack of basketball intellect. There is absolutely no credible argument you can make that says Harper wasn’t effective in the big ten.
I actually made my argument, that you lack the intelligent to understand it is not my deficiency, but yours. I also said Harpers impact was something I am unsure whether or not I felt she was a net positive.

When KG was playing for Curry, she famously played very sorry defense. She even acknowledged it in her senior exit speech that she did not put effort on defense until Versyp came in and let her know she would not play at all if she didn't play defense. So, was KG a great player her whole career, or just her senior year? She certainly was a great scorer her whole career and to those who only watch or understand half the game she was a great player.

I value D as much as O, I loved Duhart even though she was not a scorer.

I actually made my argument, that you lack the intelligent to understand it is not my deficiency, but yours. I also said Harpers impact was something I am unsure whether or not I felt she was a net positive.

When KG was playing for Curry, she famously played very sorry defense. She even acknowledged it in her senior exit speech that she did not put effort on defense until Versyp came in and let her know she would not play at all if she didn't play defense. So, was KG a great player her whole career, or just her senior year? She certainly was a great scorer her whole career and to those who only watch or understand half the game she was a great player.

I value D as much as O, I loved Duhart even though she was not a scorer.

Your argument is saying the team’s 3rd leading scorer - someone who significantly helped us win several big ten games - wasn’t effective. And you’d rather have the combo of Woltman/Learn because you value defense?

We would not have sniffed the ncaa tournament without Harper. I can’t believe this argument is even being made. You are a troll Michael, seek mental help.

Your argument is saying the team’s 3rd leading scorer - someone who significantly helped us win several big ten games - wasn’t effective. And you’d rather have the combo of Woltman/Learn because you value defense?

We would not have sniffed the ncaa tournament without Harper. I can’t believe this argument is even being made. You are a troll Michael, seek mental help.
You only watch half the game. You also lack reading comprehension skills. I specifically stated I was unsure if Harper was a net positive.

But you are so sure of your own superiority and the absolute righteousness of your opinion that anyone who does kow tow to your every whack statement is someone to be derided, scorned and have their intelligence belittled even though you are usually the one that has trouble statistically backing your argument and acknowledging someone else might have a valid point. This is a discussion board, not BoilerPride's personal dominiin where only your points can be considered valid and everyone else you demean, try to shoot down, and insult while DocRon sits there silently but rushs in when someone claps back at your thuggish behavior to defend you.

Come on. I was just starting to heat up the popcorn. Everyone okay if I put M&M's in there?

For giggles. Harper (good offense, average defense) >>> Learn/Woltman (Bad offense, even worse defense)
Skip the M&Ms but I would not be opposed to some garlic butter... :)
I can respect your take, Mine is:

Harper good offense against all but tall strong posts, then she disappears too much. Defense, poor against big posts, mediocre against quick posts and slightly above average against posts with her same athletic ability, ie neither tall, nor strong, nor quick. poor rebounder

Woltman, poor offense, poor defense against quick posts, good against mediocre posts and mediocre to poor against big posts. but the best rebounder of the three, especially against tall posts.

Learn mediocre to good offense (her points per minute was not far off Harper's) good defense against mediocre posts, mediocre against quick posts due to her excessive fouling and mediocre against strong posts. average rebounder

and unlike the resident man child, I can see your point of view even if mine is different and discuss our differences without acting like a spoiled toddler throwing a tantrum.

Statistically Harper helped us win 4 Big Ten games. OSU, UILL, Northwestern 2nd game, and PSU 2nd game. In all other BT wins Learn and Woltman outplayed her statistically, despite usually getting less minutes combined than Harper got. Harpers horrible play at UMinn was the likely leading rrason we lost that game as Micheaux beat her like a rented mule going for 16 points and 7 rbs to Harpers 8 points and ONE rebound in 28 minutes of playing time. I think it's fair to argue whether Harper was a good addition, and now without Learn and Woltman backing her up, we may be in trouble. L and W outplayed Harper in five of the BT wins, usually with much less playing time and one game was a push IMHO.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT