ADVERTISEMENT

2022 Purdue Player with the Second Most Potential?

mathboy

All-American
Feb 4, 2004
Michigan
Obviously, Zack Edey is going to be the focus of the offense and deservedly so. He will be the team's MVP. However, who is the next most important person on the team? Smith? Newman? Furst?

I have an awful suspicion that we are going to be terribly consistent, very good but not great. Nobody to come in and take over the game like CE or JI did. No matter who we run in or out, the play stays level, the same look and energy, very good, but not great. Maybe that's a good thing? Who will start, or come off the bench and shake things up if we are plodding through the steps? Will Smith be the driving force & energy source the team needs? Any clues from scrimmage?

:cool:

Reactions: bmwboiler
Obviously, Zack Edey is going to be the focus of the offense and deservedly so. He will be the team's MVP. However, who is the next most important person on the team? Smith? Newman? Furst?

I have an awful suspicion that we are going to be terribly consistent, very good but not great. Nobody to come in and take over the game like CE or JI did. No matter who we run in or out, the play stays level, the same look and energy, very good, but not great. Maybe that's a good thing? Who will start, or come off the bench and shake things up if we are plodding through the steps? Will Smith be the driving force & energy source the team needs? Any clues from scrimmage?

Have you had a chance to listen to the Braggs in the stands podcast? There was a lot to take away from it.

Reactions: oldboiler52

Who will start, or come off the bench and shake things up if we are plodding through the steps? Will Smith be the driving force & energy source the team needs? Any clues from scrimmage?

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: Zaphod_B
The issue with this version of Purdue basketball is that there are so many variables that have wide ranges in terms of how players perform. That makes it interesting but very hard to accurately predict. Purdue is placing a lot of hope on freshmen guards to perform and perform early. Is that likely? Will they hit the "freshman wall" in February? We do not know. Will returning players like Newman play up his game? Last year was not a good one for him. Can he return to being the kind of player that he showed flashes of in the past? TKR is an unknown but highly recruited player. How will he perform in different positions on the court? Will Furst make a jump in his play after a good first year? Can Edey stand playing more minutes? what about a possible injury bug?

My point is that this team has a very wide range of expectations; more so than usual. I can see them making a deep NCAA run if things go right and being NIT bound if they do not. That is not as true for many other teams this year.

Regardless of who is second fiddle, 2 things have to happen for this team to be NCAA bound....

1 Smith has to be well above the normal Purdue frosh basketball curve.

2. Scoring consistency. It's not just who is going to be 2nd fiddle....the supporting cast all need to be impactful consistent scorers when the B1G gets going. Lot of questions everywhere imo.

But with all that I have a lot of hope as my B&G glasses allow.

Who is next most important? I say Smith, because he's our only PG.

Who will be the second-leading scorer? It may be wishful thinking, but my gut says Newman. But of course, a lot has to go right for Newman for him to get the PT to become the second-leading scorer. He also comes at a disadvantage because other guys {Morton, Loyer, Jenkins} can all play some PG, thus more chance to get PT.

I agree, our guys will have a tough time matching the impact of our former all-Americans, but that seemed kind of obvious. If some one takes that next step and does match them, we will be pretty darn good.

Better be Newman. We lost all of the guard scoring from last year and need Newman to be the consistent scorer that he can be.

"Will Smith be the driving force & energy source the team needs? Any clues from scrimmage?"
When did we sign Will Smith? I don't know how good he will be but I know he will be slapping the hell out of the opponents.

Better be Newman. We lost all of the guard scoring from last year and need Newman to be the consistent scorer that he can be.

"Will Smith be the driving force & energy source the team needs? Any clues from scrimmage?"
When did we sign Will Smith? I don't know how good he will be but I know he will be slapping the hell out of the opponents.

There have been all kind of posts giving info on the scrimmage, including videos of guys who were there watching.

Caleb Furst will have the most chances to score. Teams will double Zach normally with their 4. Besides I really like Caleb's game.
This is an angle I had not thought of. Do you think Caleb will play along side Edey? Maybe using TRK as the #2 center? I had pictured Gillis with Edey and Furst with TRK as two distinct front lines. Just wondering what you might know/think about this situation.

This is an angle I had not thought of. Do you think Caleb will play along side Edey? Maybe using TRK as the #2 center? I had pictured Gillis with Edey and Furst with TRK as two distinct front lines. Just wondering what you might know/think about this situation.
I think there is a 97% chance Gillis starts alongside Edey.

Reactions: oldboiler52
Truthfully, I hadn't thought of it your way and your way makes more sense. But Furst will still get a ton of minutes. Back tracking some but sticking with Caleb.

TKR

ADVERTISEMENT