ADVERTISEMENT

2022/2023 Team Roster

If you want to argue EM as 'most impactful freshman' I'm on board. The only argument I can see for EM as 'best player' would be based on the fact that he consistently performed at a very high level for four years while Johnson wasn't as impactful as a freshman and the other three only stayed two or three years.
I would argue that he was the best overall player...and, maybe that was because he did it for four years. Again, they did not run the offense through him either...they did for Biggie, Carsen, and, more so JJ and even Ivey.

Hands down he was the most impactful freshman...that alone sets him apart.

To your point...Ivey, had he stayed four years, may have become the best...same for Biggie...JJ, if he had ever developed to where he could put the ball on the floor...man, he would have been crazy special as well.

Like say, I just feel like E'Twaun is overlooked...not flashy...was part of a trio of great players...never was the spotlight guy....just steady as a rock and incredibly good on the whole.

Reactions: johnboiler123
What you suggest is the “Teen Wolf” type player, right. He gets all wooly and just dominates from the backcourt. We’ve had two guys in Carsen and Ivey who could drive the basket and create those situations. In the BIG play they were often swatted away or manhandled with no fouls called (I hate that, but it’s reality).

In todays game almost every good team we face will have sufficient quickness at almost every position to defend the dribble drive. You have to maneuver the defense through clever passing and moving without the ball to have an efficient offense. That means getting intelligent players who can pass, move, and think on their feet. Raw Teen Wolf speed isn’t going to get you wins in the BIG.

:cool:

"You serious Clark?"
What's been the most effective way to beat Purdue's defense for about the last 20 years? Ding ding!! You got it, dribble penetration. Now, that could be a function of a lack of athleticism at the G position for Purdue, or it could be that other coaches recruit players who have that skill set and can use it effectively.

Reactions: DAG10
That’s not necessary in Painter’s system. It’s like you don’t even understand what Painter’s offense is.
Painter's "System" has proven ineffective to get past the S16. Look at how Purdue has gotten beaten in the tourny? It's rarely because of better bigs, it's because other teams have had a guard who could take over the game and get a tough bucket.

Reactions: johnboiler123
Doesn't matter whether it's the PG (IMHO) or another position but it certainly helps to have someone who can break down the defense or otherwise get their own shot.
But Purdue's problem has been that they've had a bunch of PGs who couldn't do it, at all.

Agree that EM was fantastic and underrated and that any comparison to him is unfair to Loyer.

I do disagree with a couple of your points 1) EM was just an ok athlete and was not alw ays in great condition. Robbie Hummel has done several interviews where he gives EM a hard time about being in bad shape and not being athletic. It's done in a playful way but he's not joking (sorry, no links) 2) Yes, EM won a state championship as a senior, but that team also had Angel Garcia, who was a very highly rated prospect and Kawaan Short, who was an outstanding athlete and very good hs basketball player.
He was more athletic than given credit for...not a great athlete, I would agree, but, more athletic than regarded...he had a couple of ridiculous dunks, and, a couple of ridiculous circus shots as well...and, the mere fact that he survived as long as he has in the NBA would seem to be additional testament to his being more athletic than regarded.

I never addressed the conditioning matter, as, I am on the same page as you (and whoever else brought it up initially).

Loyer played with Goode on the #1 team in the state...they lost in Regionals the year before...then was on a team that was ranked #1 most of the year and they bowed out as well in the State tournament this past year. E'Twaun did have some guys around him for sure...Garcia was really good, and, Short was so much better than so many realize...but, he was without question "the guy" and he dominated Gordon in the State finals. And...those guys ran a gauntlet as I had mentioned unlike what Homestead faced on a potential path to Indianapolis.

Reactions: bonefish1
Painter's "System" has proven ineffective to get past the S16. Look at how Purdue has gotten beaten in the tourny? It's rarely because of better bigs, it's because other teams have had a guard who could take over the game and get a tough bucket.
Painter has gotten passed the S16 and was a fluke play away from a Final 4.

You seem to be confusing the PG for a guard who can take over a game. Painter has had 3 guards that can take over games (Moore, Edwards, Ivey), and none of them were PGs. Myles Colvin is next in line to make it 4 players that have that ability. That is not the PGs job in Painter's offense. I don't know why you can't understand that.

Reactions: mathboy

You seem to be confusing the PG for a guard who can take over a game. Painter has had 3 guards that can take over games (Moore, Edwards, Ivey), and none of them were PGs. Myles Colvin is next in line to make it 4 players that have that ability. That is not the PGs job in Painter's offense. I don't know why you can't understand that.
It literally took a fluke foul on Carsen to even make that elite 8. And honestly, most of painters sweet 16 losses have been absolute beat downs where we were never in the game from the beginning.

I don't know why you don't understand that a PG in any offense should be able to do a lot more than throw the ball around the perimeter and shoot the occasional open 3. If your PG (the most important position on the floor) isn't a threat to penetrate/dribble drive, then that makes your team that much easier to defend.
As far as getting past the S16, yeh, Painter has done it once, in 18 years. He's 1-5 in S16 games.

It literally took a fluke foul on Carsen to even make that elite 8. And honestly, most of painters sweet 16 losses have been absolute beat downs where we were never in the game from the beginning.
Need to do better than a 4/5 seed, end results versus 1 seeds in the SS have not been pretty. Closest game versus a 1 was a 12 point loss to CT in 2009 along with 13 point loss to Duke in 2010 and 32 point loss to Kansas in 2017.

Not sure that I agree with 'never in the game from the beginning' on those losses though. Never led versus Connecticut but were within five with about 12 minutes to go in the game. Duke game was back and forth with a bunch of lead changes until about 10 minutes left in the game. Led Kansas for most of the first half and within four with about 15 minutes left in the game before KU blew it open.

Lol so it shouldn’t count because you don’t think Carsen got fouled?

Would you think differently of Painter if Cline hits that free throw and we make the Final 4?

Reactions: Schnelk
I don't know why you don't understand that a PG in any offense should be able to do a lot more than throw the ball around the perimeter and shoot the occasional open 3. If your PG (the most important position on the floor) isn't a threat to penetrate/dribble drive, then that makes your team that much easier to defend.
As far as getting past the S16, yeh, Painter has done it once, in 18 years. He's 1-5 in S16 games.
PG is the least important position on the floor in Painter’s offense.

Yes, we are super easy to defend. Ignore the fact that we’ve had a top 5 offense 3 of the last 5 years.

Lol so it shouldn’t count because you don’t think Carsen got fouled?

Would you think differently of Painter if Cline hits that free throw and we make the Final 4?
Just sayin'... You constantly bring up how close we were, but ignore the fact it took a miracle, plus a literal historic tournament performance by Carsen to even make the elite 8. Fact is, Painter still has yet to reach a final four going on almost 2 decades of coaching at Purdue. And based on how recruiting has been going, I don't see us reaching one anytime soon barring a Cinderella type run. Painter needs to hit the recruiting trail HARD for some difference makers at guard. We need more out of that position than spot up shooters that pass the ball around the perimeter.

E'twaun was first team All Freshman B1G, averaged 13 points and shot 43% from 3 his freshman year. He lead a team that went 15-3 in conference in scoring and was second in assist as a freshmen.

If Loyer comes close to those numbers I'll be shocked and pleasantly surprised.
The 3 point line was a lot closer when moore was a freshman....

Reactions: buffboiler
Just sayin'... You constantly bring up how close we were, but ignore the fact it took a miracle, plus a literal historic tournament performance by Carsen to even make the elite 8. Fact is, Painter still has yet to reach a final four going on almost 2 decades of coaching at Purdue. And based on how recruiting has been going, I don't see us reaching one anytime soon barring a Cinderella type run. Painter needs to hit the recruiting trail HARD for some difference makers at guard. We need more out of that position than spot up shooters that pass the ball around the perimeter.
Ever heard of Myles Colvin?

Painter is a very successful coach and we are very lucky to have him.

Ever heard of Myles Colvin?

Painter is a very successful coach and we are very lucky to have him.
Well aware of him, but that's only one recruit. Though, for the record, I'm really excited for him to join the team. But he looks like more of a wing than a guard IMO.

Lol Purdue lead Tennessee for about 40/45 minutes. If there was a miracle it was that Tennessee was even in the game.

as far as recruiting, as you put it it took a miracle for us to not make a final four with our starting lineup having 1 top 100 player a walk on and two guys in the 400s. Colvin Kaufman Furst Loyer are all rated better than anyone on that team other than nojel, who was our worst starter, so I’m not sure why our recruiting is the problem. Especially when we have another all American Candidate in Edey who was also in the 400s.

I think Morton could be the wildcard here that could propel us into top 4 contention. I’m not as bullish on smith as a true freshman. Morton showed he can be an elite defender and was as good or better than Hunter or IT at shooting the occasional 3 or driving to the basket. Painter has always been very high on him.

Newman if inconsistent and I don’t see that changing.

i think our front court will be very good.
I think Morton is a key player here for more reasons than just his ability to play multiple positions including the PG position. I think he is a real leader who will help Smith grow on the court and in practice.

I think Morton is a key player here for more reasons than just his ability to play multiple positions including the PG position. I think he is a real leader who will help Smith grow on the court and in practice.
Agree, this team needs Morton and probably Jenkins to really step into leadership roles, both vocally and in setting the tone for what it means to play hard, get after every loose ball, take care of the basketball, play team defense, etc. Same for Mason.

I’m not sure that any of those three are stars but if they can play that Chris Kramer, Ray Davis, Grady Eifert role this team will follow that lead.

PG is the least important position on the floor in Painter’s offense.

Yes, we are super easy to defend. Ignore the fact that we’ve had a top 5 offense 3 of the last 5 years.
If PG is the least important position on the floor (that's like saying QB is the least important position on the football field), then that would help explain why Painter struggles to get past the S16 and has put zero PGs in the NBA.
Painter has focused on running an offense through the low post, which is much easier to defend than having dynamic guards who can create with the ball in their hands.

One thing I haven’t seen people discuss is that even if Purdue can’t really compete in an NIL world, this strategy can have benefits. Kansas just won a title with relatively average recruiting and experience.

We may have lost Pack and DGL to higher bidders, but schools relying on NIL for one time transfers constantly will have their own issues playing cohesively. DGL is really talented, but I don’t want him to play for my team if he doesn’t want to play for us in return.

Buying teams hasn’t been working for teams like Memphis, and we’ll see how well Illinois does this year. But there’s something to be said about cases like Luther Burden, who’s transferring 4 games into his college career after choosing a school for money rather than development. NIL is making players choose a paycheck not a school - and it’s not like pro sports where you have a contract, it’s year to year.

Getting 5 stars comes with more baggage these days, and getting players who genuinely want to play at your school has some value that is probably ignored more now than ever.
Illinois isn’t “buying” a team. Lol. They are doing what every team in the Big Ten is doing outside of maybe Northwestern and Purdue. NIL is the rule. Don’t complain because your team isn’t staying current with the rules.

Illinois didn’t need to “buy” DGL. They already have two higher rated freshmen guards on the team: Clark and Epps. DGL is a piece, not a savior. Getting away from mom is probably the best thing for him.

Illinois has a mixture of returning talent (Melendez, Hawkins, Goode), top ten freshman class (Clark, Rodgers, Epps, Harris), and top 2 transfer class (Shannon, Mayer, Dainja). That’s the way it’s done today. Underwood has said he’s not thrilled with the portal, but you have to use it to stay up with the times.

It’s up to the coaches to put the pieces together, and I’d rather start with more talent than not.

Well aware of him, but that's only one recruit. Though, for the record, I'm really excited for him to join the team. But he looks like more of a wing than a guard IMO.
Painter plays 3 guards. Colvin will be one of them. Are you expecting us to have 3 All-American level guards at a time? Your expectations are simply unrealistic.

Reactions: Inspector100
If PG is the least important position on the floor (that's like saying QB is the least important position on the football field), then that would help explain why Painter struggles to get past the S16 and has put zero PGs in the NBA.
Painter has focused on running an offense through the low post, which is much easier to defend than having dynamic guards who can create with the ball in their hands.
You just seem ignorant when you try to argue the PG in basketball is as important as the QB in football. Especially in Painter’s system.

You keep saying we are easy to defend, yet fail to acknowledge we’ve had a top 5 offense 3 of the last 5 years. Nothing supports your argument.

You just seem ignorant when you try to argue the PG in basketball is as important as the QB in football. Especially in Painter’s system.

You keep saying we are easy to defend, yet fail to acknowledge we’ve had a top 5 offense 3 of the last 5 years. Nothing supports your argument.
90% of the people who know anything about basketball would say that the person with the ball in their hands the most is the most important person on the floor.

As far as defending Purdue, It's much easier to neutralize a low post player than it is with someone who can create off the dribble. As I mentioned before, Purdue often has the best big on the floor, but it's rarely (Carsen, Ivey) had a dynamic alpha scoring guard who you can give the ball to and say "go get me a bucket".

90% of the people who know anything about basketball would say that the person with the ball in their hands the most is the most important person on the floor.

As far as defending Purdue, It's much easier to neutralize a low post player than it is with someone who can create off the dribble. As I mentioned before, Purdue often has the best big on the floor, but it's rarely (Carsen, Ivey) had a dynamic alpha scoring guard who you can give the ball to and say "go get me a bucket".
At Purdue, the PG doesn’t have the ball in their hands most of the time. That’s what you fail to understand.

If Purdue is so easy to defend, why have they had a top 5 offense 3 of the last 5 years?

Painter plays 3 guards. Colvin will be one of them. Are you expecting us to have 3 All-American level guards at a time? Your expectations are simply unrealistic.
Nice try. Never said anything about "3 all-American level guards". Your expectations are simply low.

Actually, nothing in your post is true. The guy bringing the ball up the court is usually the least likely to score. The other four players and what they do make an offense go. Purdue has had an extraordinarily efficient offense for the last 4-5 years.

Second, a driving guard is one of the easiest plays to defend. If the player directly guarding him doesn’t stop the move by being in the right place, either the center or the forward can slide over and stop the shot. Our greatest advantage is the enormous centers we have had for the last few years. There is no substitute for height. We have the tallest player in the NCAA. We should lean of that advantage.

One poster says we were a missed free throw and a freak play away from a FF. Another says we might have lost in the sweet sixteen but for a controversial foul call. Both are right. Most of the games in the NCAA tourney are like that. It is perhaps the best argument for the incredible randomness of the tourney and how poor a standard it is for measuring program success.

:cool:

The post centric offense is built for the regular season, especially home games. In the post season, you are eventually going to run into a game where the refs allow the opponent to grapple your bigs and negate your size advantage. Whereas guards will always get the calls. If you ask Painter, I think he would honestly prefer do-it-all players at both guard positions to provide greater versatility November through March. Unfortunately those guys are sort of hard to come by and we typically only get 1 at a time. He has shown the flexibility in his offense to adapt to the roster talent, so let's not short change him on that aspect.

Actually, nothing in your post is true. The guy bringing the ball up the court is usually the least likely to score. The other four players and what they do make an offense go. Purdue has had an extraordinarily efficient offense for the last 4-5 years.

Second, a driving guard is one of the easiest plays to defend. If the player directly guarding him doesn’t stop the move by being in the right place, either the center or the forward can slide over and stop the shot. Our greatest advantage is the enormous centers we have had for the last few years. There is no substitute for height. We have the tallest player in the NCAA. We should lean of that advantage.
There is a substitute for height...quality guards and quality outside shooting both offset it. The genuine "advantage" has been irrelevant in March...in fact, the only time that Purdue nearly reached a FF, it did not have a post-centric offense.

The efficiency numbers are just another meaningless analytic that are touted and relied on, despite being incredibly misleading.

I have no idea if the guy bringing it up is ultimately the least likely to score...as, it depends on the guy...I think there is merit to your point on the matter, but, there are certainly cases where the guy bringing it up either scores as a direct result, or, something is run with him that ends with him ultimately scoring.

Finally...while a driving guard is maybe supposed to be the easiest to defend, there is no better proof of that NOT being the case than Purdue, who has been killed by driving guards repeatedly...directly, or, indirectly if they do happen to cut off the drive by the driver dishing to someone wide open elsewhere.

Any suggestion that a dynamic PG (or just Guard) is not beneficial, and, potentially incredibly beneficial...is one that I have a difficult time agreeing with. Yes, Purdue has had success without a dynamic guard because it is playing through the post, but, having a solid post game and a dynamic guard would not be a bad thing...and, it has been proven over and over and over that dynamic guards are what matter in the tournament...Purdue was almost further testament of such with Edwards.

There is a substitute for height...quality guards and quality outside shooting both offset it. The genuine "advantage" has been irrelevant in March...in fact, the only time that Purdue nearly reached a FF, it did not have a post-centric offense.

The efficiency numbers are just another meaningless analytic that are touted and relied on, despite being incredibly misleading.

I have no idea if the guy bringing it up is ultimately the least likely to score...as, it depends on the guy...I think there is merit to your point on the matter, but, there are certainly cases where the guy bringing it up either scores as a direct result, or, something is run with him that ends with him ultimately scoring.

Finally...while a driving guard is maybe supposed to be the easiest to defend, there is no better proof of that NOT being the case than Purdue, who has been killed by driving guards repeatedly...directly, or, indirectly if they do happen to cut off the drive by the driver dishing to someone wide open elsewhere.

Any suggestion that a dynamic PG (or just Guard) is not beneficial, and, potentially incredibly beneficial...is one that I have a difficult time agreeing with. Yes, Purdue has had success without a dynamic guard because it is playing through the post, but, having a solid post game and a dynamic guard would not be a bad thing...and, it has been proven over and over and over that dynamic guards are what matter in the tournament...Purdue was almost further testament of such with Edwards.
We had elite post play and a dynamic guard last year. We had elite post play and a dynamic guard in Carsen’s sophomore year as well. Same with the Baby Boilers.

Is there? Edey is a stud, but the backcourt is wide open with opportunity. Freshman Moore would easily be the best guard on this team.
Best as in most shots taken?....he certainly didn't stand out defensively as a freshman....people really overrate that team....big ten was weak that year....we only made it to the 2nd round....this team has better post play, better forwards, better depth at the 4 and 5, better shooting, better passing....the baby boiler team had better defense probably with kramer and grant...Johnson was still raw....there's a lot of talent on this year's team....when you have the best center in the country you try to find the best pieces around him....that's why smith and loyer will play a ton because they will complement edey well....

Best as in most shots taken?....he certainly didn't stand out defensively as a freshman....people really overrate that team....big ten was weak that year....we only made it to the 2nd round....this team has better post play, better forwards, better depth at the 4 and 5, better shooting, better passing....the baby boiler team had better defense probably with kramer and grant...Johnson was still raw....there's a lot of talent on this year's team....when you have the best center in the country you try to find the best pieces around him....that's why smith and loyer will play a ton because they will complement edey well....
Better as in he was significantly better as a freshman than any guard on our team will be this coming year. You realize the current guards aren’t known for their defense, right? You realize the Big Ten is significantly down this year, right?

The bottom line is, Loyer won’t be close to impactful as Moore was a freshman. That’s not an issue as Moore was one of our best players of the last few decades.

And what has all that 7 foot height translated to in terms of wins in the NCAA?

When a guard can penetrate and for another guy over to help, that's called getting the other team into rotations. That's a problem for the defense because you're making them move and get out of position. It's exactly what a penetrating guard is supposed to do.

To you're first point, any college player, from D1 to NAIA, can bring the ball up the floor and pass it to someone coming off a screen or dump it down to the low post. There's nothing special about that skill set. And again, if you're playing 4 vs 5 when you're on offense, it's that much easier on the D.

And what has all that 7 foot height translated to in terms of wins in the NCAA?

When a guard can penetrate and for another guy over to help, that's called getting the other team into rotations. That's a problem for the defense because you're making them move and get out of position. It's exactly what a penetrating guard is supposed to do.

To you're first point, any college player, from D1 to NAIA, can bring the ball up the floor and pass it to someone coming off a screen or dump it down to the low post. There's nothing special about that skill set. And again, if you're playing 4 vs 5 when you're on offense, it's that much easier on the D.
Can you list number of NCAA tournament wins by coach since Painter has been at Purdue? You may be shocked to learn he actually does have tournament success.

You realize having to double team the post also gets teams out of position and into rotations, correct? You act like there is only one way to run an offense.

Purdue is never playing 4 vs 5 on offense (apart from when Nojel was here). Our PGs are historically really good shooters.

Can you list number of NCAA tournament wins by coach since Painter has been at Purdue? You may be shocked to learn he actually does have tournament success.

You realize having to double team the post also gets teams out of position and into rotations, correct? You act like there is only one way to run an offense.

Purdue is never playing 4 vs 5 on offense (apart from when Nojel was here). Our PGs are historically really good shooters.
No, I can't, not off the top of my head. But, what I can list is that Painter is 1-5 in S16 games in his 18 years. What that tells me, is that either
a) as the competition gets tougher, the deeper you go in the tourney, Painter isn't making the needed adjustments
or
b) teams we run into in the S16 or later have slightly better talent that we can't overcome.

I agree that Purdue has had good shooters at the G position, but except for a few instances (Carsen, Ivey), those Gs are almost all very one-dimensional (good shooters, not good ball handlers, creators, penetrators, etc).
Unfortunately, that's likely what we have in this years roster.

ADVERTISEMENT