ADVERTISEMENT

2022/2023 Team Roster

Interestingly, Purdue's basketball profile now lists Smith at 6', 180 pounds. While I wish he was taller, I don't think he's undersized.

They also state Gonzaga, Oregon, Indiana, and another school were interested before committing to Purdue. That is news to me as I was under the impression that no major P5 school showed interest.

Interestingly, Purdue's basketball profile now lists Smith at 6', 180 pounds. While I wish he was taller, I don't think he's undersized.

They also state Gonzaga, Oregon, Indiana, and another school were interested before committing to Purdue. That is news to me as I was under the impression that no major P5 school showed interest.
Showing interest could mean a number of different things. We show interest in many recruits we never offer or pursue.

Showing interest could mean a number of different things. We show interest in many recruits we never offer or pursue.
Reports from Brian before Smith committed indicated that he was drawing legitimate interest from some big time schools. To your point, that doesn't mean that they would have offered, but schools like Oregon and Gonzaga don't waste time taking a hard look at stiffs. There is little doubt that his recruitment would have picked up significantly had he not quickly committed to Purdue.

Reactions: Schnelk
Reports from Brian before Smith committed indicated that he was drawing legitimate interest from some big time schools. To your point, that doesn't mean that they would have offered, but schools like Oregon and Gonzaga don't waste time taking a hard look at stiffs. There is little doubt that his recruitment would have picked up significantly had he not quickly committed to Purdue.
Our staff was in contact with players like Luke Brown. That doesn’t mean he was ever close to getting an offer.

I don’t think you would have seen a bunch of P5 schools offering had he not committed to Purdue. I definitely don’t think big basketball schools like Gonzaga, Nova, or Oregon would have been offering him. He’s very undersized.

With all that said, I expect him to be solid for us in the future.

• Haha
Reactions: Boilersharky
Our staff was in contact with players like Luke Brown. That doesn’t mean he was ever close to getting an offer.

I don’t think you would have seen a bunch of P5 schools offering had he not committed to Purdue. I definitely don’t think big basketball schools like Gonzaga, Nova, or Oregon would have been offering him. He’s very undersized.

With all that said, I expect him to be solid for us in the future.
I don't know for a fact, but I would presume that Purdue rarely contacts prospects in Oregon or Washington that they have no real interest in. What do you think?

I don't know for a fact, but I would presume that Purdue rarely contacts prospects in Oregon or Washington that they have no real interest in. What do you think?
I would guess we know about maybe half of the players Purdue actually contacts. Until it becomes public knowledge or they are seen watching at an AAU event, no one knows.

I don’t think Smith is a typical player schools like Gonzaga, Oregon, or Nova go after. Painter has had success with similar players though.

I would guess we know about maybe half of the players Purdue actually contacts. Until it becomes public knowledge or they are seen watching at an AAU event, no one knows.

I don’t think Smith is a typical player schools like Gonzaga, Oregon, or Nova go after. Painter has had success with similar players though.
Gillespie worked out pretty well for Nova, and he might have been less recruited than Smith.

Cool. Is he the exception or the rule?
There always will be. That's why we wait and let the player develop in the system. We as fans seem quick triggered. If that player isn't a top prospect/recruit, but we truly don't know if they actually were.

I'm hoping for the best and he does seem to have the grit to be a boiler.

There always will be. That's why we wait and let the player develop in the system. We as fans seem quick triggered. If that player isn't a top prospect/recruit, but we truly don't know if they actually were.

I'm hoping for the best and he does seem to have the grit to be a boiler.
I’m guessing he will be similar to those with similar builds that came before him. Not saying that’s a bad thing, because Painter has had a lot of success with those types of players.

However, throwing out things that make him seem like a top program type recruit or potential All-American like Gillespie just isn’t realistic and puts unrealistic expectations on him.

Didn't another Indiana Mr. Basketball end up playing at Stetson or some school in FL no one's ever heard of?

i wouldn't say recruiting rankings are a joke. They're not perfect, but due to the law of large numbers, they get it right more often than wrong. I think you'll also notice a pretty strong correlation over time between recruiting rankings and a teams success in the tourney. Sure, there'll be some outliers, but in general, the better teams get the better recruits.
So we wait on smith to get more offers then offer so we say we beat out other schools?....that's always worked out well with us in the past...we never offered luke brown the stetson kid....mr basketball is a big deal....rarely do they not pan out in college...am I expecting smith to be an all American this year?...no....will he contribute and provide defense, passing, and making the team better?....sure he will....you need to watch film on him....he's one of the best guards painter has gotten....much better than a lot of the ranked players....covid really affected recruiting rankings for this class....loyer is big time too....a lot of etwaun in his game....

Reactions: tjreese and Schnelk
So we wait on smith to get more offers then offer so we say we beat out other schools?....that's always worked out well with us in the past...we never offered luke brown the stetson kid....mr basketball is a big deal....rarely do they not pan out in college...am I expecting smith to be an all American this year?...no....will he contribute and provide defense, passing, and making the team better?....sure he will....you need to watch film on him....he's one of the best guards painter has gotten....much better than a lot of the ranked players....covid really affected recruiting rankings for this class....loyer is big time too....a lot of etwaun in his game....
Define “one of the best guards Painter has gotten”…. What exactly are your career expectations for him?

I’m guessing he will be similar to those with similar builds that came before him. Not saying that’s a bad thing, because Painter has had a lot of success with those types of players.

However, throwing out things that make him seem like a top program type recruit or potential All-American like Gillespie just isn’t realistic and puts unrealistic expectations on him.
I don't disagree, but....

Yet, we seem to take under valued, under recruited players to the top of the B1G almost every year. This past year was a #1 ranking without a top 50 player in the rotation and 2 players made an NBA roster.

I criticize CMP, but also realize he's a keeper. We would be foolish to let him walk.

I don't disagree, but....

Yet, we seem to take under valued, under recruited players to the top of the B1G almost every year. This past year was a #1 ranking without a top 50 player in the rotation and 2 players made an NBA roster.

I criticize CMP, but also realize he's a keeper. We would be foolish to let him walk.
I agree. I’ve defended Painter a ton on here as well as former players that it seems Smith’s game will be similar to.

So, Boilerball2021, Bonefish and JohnBoiler123 (Name sounds vaguely familiar to another guy we banned) all think Smith will not be much of a big deal, and down play his commitment & future contribution to Purdue. Northside100 and I are taking the more positive route. Then there are bunch sitting on the fence, right?

Let's keep in mind who is where on this guy. I am tired of people claiming to have been all happy and farting roses about a successful recruit when they pooped all over the guy on these boards when first recruited.

It seems to me that Painter's track record should speak for itself. ...But no, we have to make judgements based on what other schools feel like offering based on their needs, geography, and talent evaluation skills. (Forehead slap)

:cool:

So, Boilerball2021, Bonefish and JohnBoiler123 (Name sounds vaguely familiar to another guy we banned) all think Smith will not be much of a big deal, and down play his commitment & future contribution to Purdue. Northside100 and I are taking the more positive route. Then there are bunch sitting on the fence, right?

Let's keep in mind who is where on this guy. I am tired of people claiming to have been all happy and farting roses about a successful recruit when they pooped all over the guy on these boards when first recruited.

It seems to me that Painter's track record should speak for itself. ...But no, we have to make judgements based on what other schools feel like offering based on their needs, geography, and talent evaluation skills. (Forehead slap)

I've tried to be honest in stating that I have no idea how good Smith will be. I am optimistic based on MP's track record of evaluation and development of his 'A list' guys and Smith falls in that category, i.e. he was not a fall back plan like Wheeler or even Sasha.

I don't anticipate that he's likely to be an all conference guy, at least any time soon, but I'm willing to give Painter and Smith the benefit of the doubt. I don't understand those who view a lack of stars as an indictment when we know that MP doesn't pay attention to those things, he follows his own system of finding guys who will work at Purdue.

You should probably read my comments again. I’ve said multiple times that Painter has had quite a bit of success with this type of recruit. I’m not going to put unrealistic expectations on him here though. I don’t think he’s a future All-American or even All conference player. That’s far different from “will not be much of a big deal, and downplaying his commitment and future contribution to Purdue”.

Guys like PJ, IT, Hunter, and Octeus weren’t stars, but they were solid role players in their later years. I would expect the same from Smith.

So, Boilerball2021, Bonefish and JohnBoiler123 (Name sounds vaguely familiar to another guy we banned) all think Smith will not be much of a big deal, and down play his commitment & future contribution to Purdue
Ok , you can put me on the record. I agree with Doc, I believe Smith is gonna surprise a lot of people in how good he will be.

Cool. Is he the exception or the rule?
Well if you want to continue on Gonzaga’s only commit this year is ranked only 30 spots ahead of Smith.

You’d think that after we had 2 of the top 25 players in the country last year who had 3 Power 5 offers combined other than Purdue people would be able to admit that maybe a player can be good without offers, especially if they commit early

Reactions: Schnelk
You should probably read my comments again. I’ve said multiple times that Painter has had quite a bit of success with this type of recruit. I’m not going to put unrealistic expectations on him here though. I don’t think he’s a future All-American or even All conference player. That’s far different from “will not be much of a big deal, and downplaying his commitment and future contribution to Purdue”.

Guys like PJ, IT, Hunter, and Octeus weren’t stars, but they were solid role players in their later years. I would expect the same from Smith.
Exactly, it seems like people don’t get that you have to build a roster not just compile star players. Smith and Loyer have specific traits that will potentially make them extremely good role players. If you construct a roster full of highly ranked athletes you might end up like IU and not have a single guy who can shoot.

Define “one of the best guards Painter has gotten”…. What exactly are your career expectations for him?
4 year starter....lead us to more wins than we've ever had....make our team better because he's on the court....not really into individual accolades....

4 year starter....lead us to more wins than we've ever had....make our team better because he's on the court....not really into individual accolades....
More wins than we’ve ever had? PJ Thompson was a 4 year starter and won 102 games. I’m willing do bet we don’t average 25 wins per season for the next 4 seasons.

More wins than we’ve ever had? PJ Thompson was a 4 year starter and won 102 games. I’m willing do bet we don’t average 25 wins per season for the next 4 seasons.
Ok, well that's just like your opinion man....we do have some pretty good talent on the team and coming in the next few years....kind of a bold statement there....

My problem with the serial group on here and KHC who constantly doubt guys like Smith is either a) they clearly have not watched him much and/or b) they simply don’t know squat about basketball.

As I noted on KHC yesterday, literally every IU fan I know who actually knows anything re the game, and had seen Smith play, has told me it was a huge mistake not to take a run at him. Several folks on our chat sites have compared him to PJ. With all due respect to PJ and these posters, other than their height there is virtually no comparison whether it’s quickness, passing ability, awareness, verticals, wingspan, foot speed, strength, on and on. It just blows my mind that folks would watch Smith and make that comp. It certainly brings their talent evaluation into question.

My problem with the serial group on here and KHC who constantly doubt guys like Smith is either a) they clearly have not watched him much and/or b) they simply don’t know squat about basketball.

As I noted on KHC yesterday, literally every IU fan I know who actually knows anything re the game, and had seen Smith play, has told me it was a huge mistake not to take a run at him. Several folks on our chat sites have compared him to PJ. With all due respect to PJ and these posters, other than their height there is virtually no comparison whether it’s quickness, passing ability, awareness, verticals, wingspan, foot speed, strength, on and on. It just blows my mind that folks would watch Smith and make that comp. It certainly brings their talent evaluation into question.
I'm with you on the PJ comparison. I've watched Smith play 2 games live and many videos. His game is nothing like PJ. Much more athletic and the quickness factor isn't even close. No idea how he will do in B1G but comparing him to PJ makes no sense at all.

Reactions: DAG10
Ok, well that's just like your opinion man....we do have some pretty good talent on the team and coming in the next few years....kind of a bold statement there....
I don’t think you understand how good that 2014 class was. Smith has a lot to prove to be one of the best guards Painter has ever gotten.

To be honest, the opinions of IU fans mean nothing to me. They are notorious for poor player evaluations.

I do believe Smith’s numbers over the course of his career will be similar to PJ’s over the course of his career. His size is a limiting factor. PJ had a hell of a career here.

The only way our opinion differs on Smith is if you have him as an All-Conference or All-American type player. I don’t see that happening. Solid role player like so many others before him.

To be honest, the opinions of IU fans mean nothing to me. They are notorious for poor player evaluations.

I do believe Smith’s numbers over the course of his career will be similar to PJ’s over the course of his career. His size is a limiting factor. PJ had a hell of a career here.

The only way our opinion differs on Smith is if you have him as an All-Conference or All-American type player. I don’t see that happening. Solid role player like so many others before him.
If Smith puts up PJ-like effort throughout his career, consider me satisfied. Not every player on the roster needs to be a world beater. Toughness and a competitive spirit go a long way, and by all accounts Smith has both.

My expectations of Smith next year? This is what a successful freshman pg campaign looks like to me:
6.0 PPG
2.0 APG
1.5 RPG
0.7 TOPG

Those numbers would put him squarely in the same camp as PJ and Isaiah.

If Smith puts up PJ-like effort throughout his career, consider me satisfied. Not every player on the roster needs to be a world beater. Toughness and a competitive spirit go a long way, and by all accounts Smith has both.

My expectations of Smith next year? This is what a successful freshman pg campaign looks like to me:
6.0 PPG
2.0 APG
1.5 RPG
0.7 TOPG

Those numbers would put him squarely in the same camp as PJ and Isaiah.
I agree with being satisfied with a PJ like career!

I think he will have more turnovers since he will be thrown in the fire as the lead guard right away. Other than that, those are about my expected stats for him as well.

Reactions: Old Gold n Black

PJ was a very good player and a great teammate and role player, but he was also limited physically.

At a macro level, I completely agree that expecting Smith to be as good or better than PJ is a high bar (and probably unfair). I do think he has some physical traits that can allow him to drive positive outcomes that may not be fully reflected in the stat sheet, i.e. pushing the ball on fast breaks, breaking down defenses, etc. PJ did a great job of taking care of the ball and picked up a lot of assists by making good passes to open shooters, but wasn't great at pushing the ball in the open court or breaking down defenses off of the dribble.

Last edited:
Reactions: DAG10
PJ was a very good player and a great teammate and role player, but he was also limited physically.

At a macro level, I completely agree that expecting Smith to be as good or better than PJ is a high bar (and probably unfair). I do think he has some physical traits that can allow him to drive positive outcomes that may not be fully reflected in the stat sheet, i.e. pushing the ball on fast breaks, breaking down defenses, etc. PJ did a great job of taking care of the ball and picked up a lot of assists from making good passes to open shooters, but wasn't great at pushing the ball in the open court or breaking down defenses off of the dribble.
It has never been the job of the PG in Painter's system to break down defenses off the dribble. I wouldn't expect that to change with Smith. He is more athletic and quicker than PJ, but still very undersized. I don't expect him to be scoring very much in the lane.

Reactions: Do Dah Day

Oh no, I’m being called out. The shame.
Yeh, I wasn’t enamored with the Smith offer. Yes, who else offers matters. I’m hope he proves me wrong.
I’m not all rainbows and unicorns about recruits like some people on these boards (for fear that a recruit or their family member might read something negative and get their feelings hurt).

Reactions: mathboy
You think schools automatically back off when a kid commits?

Oh no, I’m being called out. The shame.
Yeh, I wasn’t enamored with the Smith offer. Yes, who else offers matters. I’m hope he proves me wrong.
I’m not all rainbows and unicorns about recruits like some people on these boards (for fear that a recruit or their family member might read something negative and get their feelings hurt).
Based on various comments/reports ... I am enamored with the Smith acquisition. I am also excited about Jenkins' comments about mentoring Smith. A lot!!! Smith is simply a Boilermaker Kinda Guy .... It may take some feet to the fire, but that is normal.

Based on various comments/reports ... I am enamored with the Smith acquisition. I am also excited about Jenkins' comments about mentoring Smith. A lot!!! Smith is simply a Boilermaker Kinda Guy .... It may take some feet to the fire, but that is normal.
You mean, he’s a try hard Johnny type?

ADVERTISEMENT