ADVERTISEMENT

2022/2023 Team Roster

Looking forward to more "Hello, Newman" moments coming up. He certainly has the capability. The young man was close to the abyss and decided to fight through, which I find quite admirable.

AcceptableHeartyBarasingha-size_restricted.gif

Rothstein has us second behind IU. It looks like we are the champs!
I think Purdue is 2 or 3 spots high, but down the line I think he has a good grasp of how things look on paper.

I think Purdue will have above average shooting and Edey will just be an absolute monster. If they can improve team defense and limit TOs by PG committee 2nd is not unforgeable. This team could have a sum better than it's parts (some darn good parts too), which might be refreshing to watch compared to last year's team consistently falling short of expectations.

I think Purdue is 2 or 3 spots high, but down the line I think he has a good grasp of how things look on paper.

I think Purdue will have above average shooting and Edey will just be an absolute monster. If they can improve team defense and limit TOs by PG committee 2nd is not unforgeable. This team could have a sum better than it's parts (some darn good parts too), which might be refreshing to watch compared to last year's team consistently falling short of expectations.
I don’t see a dominant backcourt on any team. Some teams are relying on freshman guards to play a key role as starters.

Right there with you on the TO's and better defense. We do well in those 2 areas and I don't think 2nd is crazy. I think 4th is more likely though. Our backcourt just has too many question marks.

Reactions: Roeder
Who will be the #2 and #3 go to scorers behind Edey? Newman and Gillis (or whoever is at the power forward spot at the time, Gillis or TKR) are the candidates. Jenkins has experience. Morton needs to be the glue guy. Interesting to see who brings up the ball this year between Jenkins and Morton. Loyer and Smith will get minutes. Who will be the backup to Zach? It has to be Furst early on until Berg has some experience. Ball movement and screening will be key without an Ivey like driver to break down defenses. Also interested in the development of Waddell. If he can nail 3’s at his height that will be a plus.

Who will be the #2 and #3 go to scorers behind Edey? Newman and Gillis (or whoever is at the power forward spot at the time, Gillis or TKR) are the candidates. Jenkins has experience. Morton needs to be the glue guy. Interesting to see who brings up the ball this year between Jenkins and Morton. Loyer and Smith will get minutes. Who will be the backup to Zach? It has to be Furst early on until Berg has some experience. Ball movement and screening will be key without an Ivey like driver to break down defenses. Also interested in the development of Waddell. If he can nail 3’s at his height that will be a plus.
I would guess Newman and Furst as the #2 and #3 scorers. Furst seems to be the likely backup at the 5 as it has been said there is a very strong possibility Berg redshirts.

Reactions: TX4GB
I think that the good thing about this team is that, while we have a lot of unproven scorers, we have, indisputably, the most dominant scorer in the country. We can pretty much plug and play Newman, Smith, Loyer, Waddell, Jenkins, Kaufman, Gillis, Morton, etc. because all have shown to be good spot up shooters, and Edey is a good passer who demands double teams. I think Kaufman is clearly the most talented scorer outside of Edey, so I hope Painter finds a way to play him with Gillis and that #2 is TKR #3 is Newman. We saw an indirect correlation between Ivey's minutes and Newman's scoring as a freshman, and it seemed like Ivey stole a lot of the off-ball actions, screens, and cuts that Newman was having success with the begin the season.

My guess would be:

Clearly Newman #2

After that it's anyone's guess. I think it will be combination of Kaufman, Jenkins, Furst, and Loyer that are the most wired to get buckets, but all of them other than Furst will need to carve out a defined role to get PT, and Fursts only defined role is backing up an AA.

Gillis and Morton could be based on minutes alone, but offensively they would both probably need to add something other than wide open 3s, layups, and FTs, to be the 3rd scorer.

My dark horse is Braden Smith. The only true PG on the roster has a clear path to minutes if he shows he can hang defensively. Something tells me he's going to surprise some people.

My guess would be:

Clearly Newman #2

After that it's anyone's guess. I think it will be combination of Kaufman, Jenkins, Furst, and Loyer that are the most wired to get buckets, but all of them other than Furst will need to carve out a defined role to get PT, and Fursts only defined role is backing up an AA.

Gillis and Morton could be based on minutes alone, but offensively they would both probably need to add something other than wide open 3s, layups, and FTs, to be the 3rd scorer.

My dark horse is Braden Smith. The only true PG on the roster has a clear path to minutes if he shows he can hang defensively. Something tells me he's going to surprise some people.
Furst will likely be playing 30 minutes a game at the 4 and 5. Edey likely won't got 30 a game. Good chance Furst is the leading scorer. Will definitely be 1 or 2.

1 Morton/Smith
2 Jenkins/Loyer
3 Newman/Kaufman/Heide
4 Gillis/Furst/Waddell
5 Edey/Berg

I would think Heide and Berg have a very high likelihood of being redshirted.

Morton/Smith
Jenkins/Loyer
Newman/Waddell
Gillis/Kaufman
Edey/Furst
Your projected starters lineup with those in the article posted by Rothstein. In my view a team with this starting lineup isn't a second place B1G finisher. In order for us to compete for a B1G crown, we need guys like TKR and Furst to live up to their recruiting rankings and be big time contributors. If TKR and Furst are only getting backup minutes we're a .500 B1G team at best.

I'm not saying they will or should be playing over others but we've seen what guys like Morton and Gillis can do and while it worked at some level last year we need some additional scoring punch this year that I'm not sure they can provide.

Your projected starters lineup with those in the article posted by Rothstein. In my view a team with this starting lineup isn't a second place B1G finisher. In order for us to compete for a B1G crown, we need guys like TKR and Furst to live up to their recruiting rankings and be big time contributors. If TKR and Furst are only getting backup minutes we're a .500 B1G team at best.

I'm not saying they will or should be playing over others but we've seen what guys like Morton and Gillis can do and while it worked at some level last year we need some additional scoring punch this year that I'm not sure they can provide.
I agree. To expect TKR or Furst to become a creator when they haven't in this system. Seems very high to expect a top 2-4 place.

Personally, I see us around 6-8 range and a bubble team getting into the tourney. I hope that I'm wrong and we finish within the top 3-4. If so, people will still complain about Painter's coaching.

I agree. To expect TKR or Furst to become a creator when they haven't in this system. Seems very high to expect a top 2-4 place.

Personally, I see us around 6-8 range and a bubble team getting into the tourney. I hope that I'm wrong and we finish within the top 3-4. If so, people will still complain about Painter's coaching.
We need someone to emerge as a Keegan Murray or Johnny Davis. Or 2 guys combined to match their productivity since we have Edey for a bulk of the points.

Reactions: Poprudy
My guess would be:

Clearly Newman #2

My nephew saw him play in high school and said he is a beast on defense. I know college ball is a whole new game, but we have to go off of something.

Reactions: Zaphod_B

You could say the same about I who, with them having 4 starters back and what have they done so far? Yes, with the promising freshman they have coming in, they look good on paper, but where has that gotten them the last 11 years?

Reactions: Zaphod_B

The production from Furst and TKR has little to do with whether or not they start. When Edey is in the game (hopefully 25 mpg), he's going to be surrounded by shooters and guys who can move to open spots and feed the post. For my money that's Gillis at the 4 (although TKR may also fit the bill). I think that the offense changes significantly when Zach comes out and that's when TKR, Caleb, Brandon, etc. will have an opportunity and will need to be playmakers.

The production from Furst and TKR has little to do with whether or not they start. When Edey is in the game (hopefully 25 mpg), he's going to be surrounded by shooters and guys who can move to open spots and feed the post. For my money that's Gillis at the 4 (although TKR may also fit the bill). I think that the offense changes significantly when Zach comes out and that's when TKR, Caleb, Brandon, etc. will have an opportunity and will need to be playmakers.
I think Gillis is good, but I'm hoping TKR and/or Furst can be better. The problem we have is that 3 of our best 4 or 5 players most natural position is the 4.

Reactions: purduepat1969
I think Gillis is good, but I'm hoping TKR and/or Furst can be better. The problem we have is that 3 of our best 4 or 5 players most natural position is the 4.
Agree with all those points, we also have probably 4 of our 5 best players at the 4 and 5. My point was more around fit. Unless something shocking happens, i.e. TKR turns into Keegan Murray 2.0, Zach is going to be the center of attention on offense when he's on the floor.

I'm anticipating that regardless of who the best players are between Gillis, TKR and Furst, that Mason is the best fit with Zach because of his shooting, passing and cutting ability. I could be wrong, it will be interesting.

Perusing boards, there are literally 10 teams’ fans saying that they could be a top 4 team.
Do you think that's unrealistic? Aside from Northwestern, Nebraska and probably Minnesota and Penn State, who do you think doesn't have a shot at landing in the top four?

Conference looks down overall but parity is high.

Do you think that's unrealistic? Aside from Northwestern, Nebraska and probably Minnesota and Penn State, who do you think doesn't have a shot at landing in the top four?

Conference looks down overall but parity is high.
Maryland, Rutgers and Iowa

I think most of his playing time will come at the 5. Edey can probably only handle 25 minutes at the 5 and Furst will be his backup. Then you have two other guys at the 4.
That was my thought as well but it sounds like TKR may play some five.

I think most of his playing time will come at the 5. Edey can probably only handle 25 minutes at the 5 and Furst will be his backup. Then you have two other guys at the 4.
I’d like to see Furst get a lot of minutes at the 5. That could be our most dynamic lineup with him and TKR on the court together. Plus, that is a potential Final 4 nucleus in 2024 if the guards and shooters fill out around them.

He kind of mentioned that in passing during that interview with Brian. I took that to mean he would be the emergency center if Edey and Furst get in foul trouble.
They think they can create some real matchup problems for opposing centers based on his ability to both shoot and put the ball on the floor. Furst is mobile and a good shooter but isn't really a threat to put the ball on the floor. It will be interesting to see if Caleb and Trey actually both take minutes at the five.

I wouldn’t write off Fletcher Loyer. This type of player thrives in painters system and he’s the best painter has ever recruited at the catch and shoot position. And he’s more than just that. I’d go as far as saying he is the most talented at that role since smooge.
East Chicago central Dominique Murphy is on the verge of becoming everything Moore was and more top 10 sophomore already in the state of Indiana

Reactions: BNIBoiler
So if you think Furst is only getting 10 minutes at the 4? Gillis playing 30 at the 4? Edey and First, the two best players on the team, only going to play 25 minutes a game?

So if you think Furst is only getting 10 minutes at the 4? Gillis playing 30 at the 4? Edey and First, the two best players on the team, only going to play 25 minutes a game?
Did you not read my post? Kaufman will also get minutes at the 4.

Last edited:
Most of TKR’s minutes are likely to come at the 4. If Zach plays 25 mpg you’ve got 55 minutes available between the 4 and 5 for Gillis, Furst and TKR.

Reactions: boilerball2021
Maryland, Rutgers and Iowa
Maryland always has talent, will see how the new coach does. Rutgers has three starters back and he always has them competitive. Most outlets have Iowa projected in the top half of the conference, 4th wouldn’t be a huge jump.

Maryland always has talent, will see how the new coach does. Rutgers has three starters back and he always has them competitive. Most outlets have Iowa projected in the top half of the conference, 4th wouldn’t be a huge jump.

Not sure what to say about Maryland.....they do get talent, but they were God awful at times last year. They seemed to underachieve with some really good teams, but IMO they have dropped another notch further since Mr. Happy left unexpectedly.

Not sure what to say about Maryland.....they do get talent, but they were God awful at times last year. They seemed to underachieve with some really good teams, but IMO they have dropped another notch further since Mr. Happy left unexpectedly.
Agree that Maryland was a shit show last year. From my perspective that was not shocking under an interim coach. It will be interesting to see what Willard can do as coach. I thought he was just ok at Seton Hall, but sometimes a new coach can make a big difference quickly with a talented roster on a team that's underachieved.

I would be surprised if Maryland finished in the top four, but certainly wouldn't be shocked.

Most of TKR’s minutes are likely to come at the 4. If Zach plays 25 mpg you’ve got 55 minutes available between the 4 and 5 for Gillis, Furst and TKR.
A year ago I would have said for sure but with a lack of experience at guard he may slide TKR into meaningful minutes, probably matchup specific.

No kidding.

The big guy, Edey, himself proclaimed that he wants to shoot treys this coming year.
His goal must be a realistic and attainable; therefore, Edey will spend most of his time at 3P line playing the SG!
Otherwise, he would not even sniff the top 10 3PM at Purdue!!

TIC!!

Boiler Up!!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT