ADVERTISEMENT

2022/2023 Team Roster

mathboy

All-American
Feb 4, 2004
Michigan
No doubt I will miss something, but here is where I think we are (not counting any potential transfers)

1. Morton, Smith
2. Newman, Loyer
3. Gillis, Waddel, Heide (? could be 2-4)
4. Furst, Kaufman
5. Edey, Berg

To me this looks like a top-4 BIG team, NCAA 3-4 seed, and a Sweet Sixteen run.

:cool:

No doubt I will miss something, but here is where I think we are (not counting any potential transfers)

1. Morton, Smith
2. Newman, Loyer
4. Furst, Kaufman
5. Edey, Berg

Not sure, but Furst can be a 4/5 and Kaufman be 3/4.
Really excited about this group.
Can surprise a lot of us.

Boiler Up!!

1. Morton, Smith
2. Newman, Loyer
4. Furst, Kaufman
5. Edey, Berg

I'll have what you're smokin'... Because that to me looks like an 8-14 place Big Ten team and if the stars align, a bubble team as far as March Madness goes. Where do the points come from? Who on this roster can break down a defense one on one if need be?

1. Morton, Smith
2. Newman, Loyer
4. Furst, Kaufman
5. Edey, Berg

Our backcourt will limit this team. If we hung on to the 3rd spot last year, but lost a potential top 5 draft pick and a leader at the PG. There is no possible way we're top 4.

I like your enthusiasm, but how did you come to this conclusion? I get we've a top 10 coach, but our guards aren't very good.

Reactions: purduepat1969
Our backcourt will limit this team. If we hung on to the 3rd spot last year, but lost a potential top 5 draft pick and a leader at the PG. There is no possible way we're top 4.

I like your enthusiasm, but how did you come to this conclusion? I get we've a top 10 coach, but our guards aren't very good.
I think Morton could be the wildcard here that could propel us into top 4 contention. I’m not as bullish on smith as a true freshman. Morton showed he can be an elite defender and was as good or better than Hunter or IT at shooting the occasional 3 or driving to the basket. Painter has always been very high on him.

Newman if inconsistent and I don’t see that changing.

i think our front court will be very good.

Reactions: Poprudy

1. Morton, Smith
2. Newman, Loyer
4. Furst, Kaufman
5. Edey, Berg

So the debbie downers aside and without knowing what transfers come in, that lineup I think by the end of the year will be fun to watch. I've seen several posts that are down on Morton being a PG, but he is an exceptional passer and that is what the PG role is (mainly) in Painter's system.

Now, I think Painter is adapting as the game changes because he is no fool, but I still see this as a close to 20 win team with a 4th or 5th place conference finish.

Our weakest spot is of course the PG and we'll have bumps along the way, but I have little doubt Painter knows this team top to bottom better than any of us on here and is preparing for the scenario that NIL kills our chances to get a solid PG transfer. But we shall see.

Next season is without a doubt a rebuilding year for us, but let's take that in to context. A LOT of programs sink to the bottom when they rebuild, but Painter has really upped his recruiting (well, before NIL screwed it all up) and we already know he is a fantastic coach so our drop off won't be as bad.

This year will be fun to watch because we're relatively young yet have a lot of weapons and by the end of the season, we could surprise a lot of people. And that isn't me being overly optimistic either, that is just looking at the reality of things right now. It all could tank just as easily.

1. Morton, Smith
2. Newman, Loyer
4. Furst, Kaufman
5. Edey, Berg

6 of the 11 guys you listed have not played a second of college ball. Uh oh!

Other than this possibly being Zach’s last year, what is so wrong with being a mid-tier BIG bubble team for a season? Let the freshmen play and get guys like Morton and Furst some valuable experience playing different positions. By the middle of the season the coaches will know what they have and don’t have and can make moves towards the future. To me, this is the fun part of college sports. I’m looking forward to this next season with or without any additions to the roster. However, I will also be cheering for major dysfunction among the biggest NIL abusing programs, So there is that to look forward to also 😜.

1. Morton, Smith
2. Newman, Loyer
4. Furst, Kaufman
5. Edey, Berg

Smith and Heide will hopefully heal quickly from injuries and be able to contribute. They could help this team if they are 100% for summer workouts. History shows that players who can't compete in the summer are essentially way behind when they join the team in the fall.

Reactions: Schnelk
Edey/Furst/Berg
Gillis/Kaufman/Furst maybe a few minutes
Morton/Heide/Waddell
Newman/Loyer
Smith/Morton at the moment
Let’s be honest, Purdue better get a solid transfer PG or the teams at best mid tier/tourney bubble.
Guard play is the answer to college basketball and how far you will go solve it and you get far don’t and it’s always wait to next year

Painter is not a top ten coach. Top 25, sure. Top 10? No way.

Smith and Heide will hopefully heal quickly from injuries and be able to contribute. They could help this team if they are 100% for summer workouts. History shows that players who can't compete in the summer are essentially way behind when they join the team in the fall.
Furst had surgery also. Not good.

Painter is not a top ten coach. Top 25, sure. Top 10? No way.
What criteria are you using?

If it's lifetime achievement you're right, no way. If it's 'pick a guy that you want to run your program for a university that doesn't support cheating', I'm not sure he's not top ten.

Reactions: POTFHBTFU
Happened so many times under the Painter knowing the horses we have,
no doubt Purdue will ride its monster horses inside.
There won't be any shame in riding Edey/Furst along with Newman.

Bottom line, we have had done better in lean years far worse than who we have coming back this year.

In Painter We Trust!

Boiler Up!!

1. Morton, Smith
2. Newman, Loyer
4. Furst, Kaufman
5. Edey, Berg

I understand the desire to get your best / most experienced five on the floor but I don’t see Gillis playing the three this year.

Gillis goes to the four, Caleb to the five, Berg redshirts. Morton and Newman okay all the minutes they can handle and barring a high level transfer Smith, Loyer and someone else take the remaining 50 mpg. If we land Hunter then Smith plays spot minutes as the backup point and Loyer takes most of the minutes as the backup 2/3.

Looking forward to the season. There are concerns for sure. We will be young. No bonafide superstar for the first time in a while. I'm actually ok with that. Looking forward to five guys playing together and not relying so much on just one player. There are always surprises every year. I hope we can be one of them.

Looking forward to the season. There are concerns for sure. We will be young. No bonafide superstar for the first time in a while. I'm actually ok with that. Looking forward to five guys playing together and not relying so much on just one player. There are always surprises every year. I hope we can be one of them.
I think there's a certain Canadian that's likely to challenge your premise of no superstars.

1. Morton, Smith
2. Newman, Loyer
4. Furst, Kaufman
5. Edey, Berg

This team would be significantly worse defensively and offensively than last year’s team.

So the debbie downers aside and without knowing what transfers come in, that lineup I think by the end of the year will be fun to watch. I've seen several posts that are down on Morton being a PG, but he is an exceptional passer and that is what the PG role is (mainly) in Painter's system.

Now, I think Painter is adapting as the game changes because he is no fool, but I still see this as a close to 20 win team with a 4th or 5th place conference finish.

Our weakest spot is of course the PG and we'll have bumps along the way, but I have little doubt Painter knows this team top to bottom better than any of us on here and is preparing for the scenario that NIL kills our chances to get a solid PG transfer. But we shall see.

Next season is without a doubt a rebuilding year for us, but let's take that in to context. A LOT of programs sink to the bottom when they rebuild, but Painter has really upped his recruiting (well, before NIL screwed it all up) and we already know he is a fantastic coach so our drop off won't be as bad.

This year will be fun to watch because we're relatively young yet have a lot of weapons and by the end of the season, we could surprise a lot of people. And that isn't me being overly optimistic either, that is just looking at the reality of things right now. It all could tank just as easily.
Personally, I don't see the debbie downer in personal opinions.... unless you're an IU fan.

CMP knows we're lacking at the guard position or he wouldn't be this late in the game still recruiting that particular position.

Morton was sparingly used at the PG position last year. The PG has to have some ability to cut, dribble drive and shoot off the dribble. We didn't see that last year from Morton and the sets weren't made for him to attack that way. I just don't see where Morton will play a tremendous amount of minutes at PG.

Last edited:
Every player in my starting five has played significant ball in the BIG. Uh no!

Every team in the B IG has new players coming in. We aren't very different.
Your starting backcourt has a PG who averaged 2.4 pts a game last year and a SG who averaged 4.6 points a game. Those are the best of the returning guards. UH OH! Just keep your fanboi glasses on and this will be a team that will reach a FF.

Reactions: SCBoiler1
Other than this possibly being Zach’s last year, what is so wrong with being a mid-tier BIG bubble team for a season? Let the freshmen play and get guys like Morton and Furst some valuable experience playing different positions. By the middle of the season the coaches will know what they have and don’t have and can make moves towards the future. To me, this is the fun part of college sports. I’m looking forward to this next season with or without any additions to the roster. However, I will also be cheering for major dysfunction among the biggest NIL abusing programs, So there is that to look forward to also 😜.
I don't think many disagree with what you say here. Your not going to be competitive for a B1G championship every year, especially a year after you've lost 4 of your top 6 players. I think the point of some of the "naysayers" is that with all of our losses we're probably due for one of those rebuilding years. Nothing wrong with that.

1. Morton, Smith
2. Newman, Loyer
4. Furst, Kaufman
5. Edey, Berg

Here we go again, Painter has consistently said he can't play 10 guys. He typically gets his rotation down to 8 or 9 by the end of the year. Go look at the box scores for any Purdue team the second half of the year. Nine is being generous, its typically been 8.

Even without a transfer, 2 or 3 of these guys will not be getting meaningful minutes by the time the B1G season comes around. If we get a transfer like Tyreese Hunter, he'll play 30 to 35 minutes, so minutes for some of these guys will even be harder to find.

Reactions: mathboy
This team would be significantly worse defensively and offensively than last year’s team.
Offensively yes, but wouldn’t say that about our defense. Our best defenders last year were probably Gillis and Morton and they will have plenty of minutes. Our youngsters are expected to be pretty solid defenders. Edey keeps improving and I expect improved minutes from him defensively and hope he continues to get more respect from the zebras. Ivey certainly was very talented on defense but had a lot of brain farts and seemed to take some plays off. I think Newman is an upgrade there.

Reactions: Zaphod_B
Despite the question marks I'm looking forward to next season. Last years team had more experience and talent, but never figured out how to be greater than the sum of its parts for whatever reason.

On paper there are some huge holes to fill next year with perimeter scoring and PG play being at the top of the list. I see why some are not optimistic. However, there is still some talented pieces and maybe this team will be one where they gel and become a better team than the collection of parts individually. Those years can be the most fun as a fan, and this team might have those ingredients.

If Zach continues to improve at current rate and makes another jump, this team could have an AA center with a Shaq-like presence around the rim. Not a bad place to start.

I can't remember Purdue ever having this many 6-6 to 6-10 forwards that can shoot. If a couple of them (Heide, Waddell, Kaufman) can handle ball and defend the wing, this will create opportunity for some different lineups than we are not used to seeing.

As for the Freshman, I think Smith will have a Chris Kramer like impact if nothing else next year. Sure, he might not have great numbers as a Freshman getting alot of minutes, but his grit could be contagious and have the biggest impact in the W/L column with the intangibles he will bring. I also think Loyer is way better than what he is given credit for. He is a shooter, but way more advanced in scoring off the dribble and passing than Sasha , Mathias, or Cline were in HS. He just needs strength to be able to hang defensively.

Last edited:
Offensively yes, but wouldn’t say that about our defense. Our best defenders last year were probably Gillis and Morton and they will have plenty of minutes. Our youngsters are expected to be pretty solid defenders. Edey keeps improving and I expect improved minutes from him defensively and hope he continues to get more respect from the zebras. Ivey certainly was very talented on defense but had a lot of brain farts and seemed to take some plays off. I think Newman is an upgrade there.
That was my point about this specific lineup. While Morton and Gillis were two of our better defenders, in this lineup they would be playing out of position against smaller quicker players where I believe they would struggle. Newman fell out of the lineup last year because he couldn’t defend well enough. Teams will put Edey in pick and roll situations which he has struggled with.

That was my point about this specific lineup. While Morton and Gillis were two of our better defenders, in this lineup they would be playing out of position against smaller quicker players where I believe they would struggle. Newman fell out of the lineup last year because he couldn’t defend well enough. Teams will put Edey in pick and roll situations which he has struggled with.
Position doesn’t matter on defense for man to man. Morton could guard the 1-4 and Gillis could guard a traditional wing or a post player. It will be matchup driven. Morton was also good at running through switches similar to eastern to avoid the mismatch. Hunter and IT not as much.

Reactions: Zaphod_B
Position doesn’t matter on defense for man to man. Morton could guard the 1-4 and Gillis could guard a traditional wing or a post player. It will be matchup driven. Morton was also good at running through switches similar to eastern to avoid the mismatch. Hunter and IT not as much.
Position does matter if no one is able to guard the opposing team’s PG. The only player mentioned in that lineup with the lateral quickness to *potentially* guard a PG is Newman, and he’s not been a very good defender to this point in his career.

Hunter was one of the best on ball defenders in the Big Ten.

ADVERTISEMENT