ADVERTISEMENT

2022/2023 Team Roster

But again, Morton wasn't relied on to be "dominant" when you have the core he was playing around. Surely you can see that?
Correct, he wasn't dominate, but he also hasn't shown anything in his two years to demonstrate that he's going to be special. Serviceable, yes, special....we'll see.
It is concerning that he only score like, 7 pts total on their overseas trip recently.

Reactions: ImRonBurgandy?
Correct, he wasn't dominate, but he also hasn't shown anything in his two years to demonstrate that he's going to be special. Serviceable, yes, special....we'll see.
It is concerning that he only score like, 7 pts total on their overseas trip recently.
I think that you have locked into this idea that a point guard has to be a scorer and score at the rate of 15-20 points per game. I am not sure why this is a "must have" for you. In my opinion, we have deadly scoring options all along our front line, and the potential for good scoring from our off-guard position. Our PG just need to feed the right guys at the right time. Morton has shown he can do that.

Painter seems to craft each team around the capabilities of the players he gets. I expect this coming year to be similar.

I think that you have locked into this idea that a point guard has to be a scorer and score at the rate of 15-20 points per game. I am not sure why this is a "must have" for you. In my opinion, we have deadly scoring options all along our front line, and the potential for good scoring from our off-guard position. Our PG just need to feed the right guys at the right time. Morton has shown he can do that.

Painter seems to craft each team around the capabilities of the players he gets. I expect this coming year to be similar.
PG is the most important position on the floor and he needs to be able to do a lot of things. I like PGs who are able to create, break down the D, force rotations, penetrate and finish. Basically, I like score-first mentality guards, and we haven't had many (Edwards and Ivey were both like that and happened to be our best players) Any college guard should be able to dump the ball into the post or get the ball to a guy coming off a screen, that's high school skill stuff.
But, having the speed, handles, and athleticism to create problems for the defense is a different skill set.

What has Purdue seemingly always struggled with on D? Containing penetrating guards or guards who are good in the high PnR.

PG is the most important position on the floor and he needs to be able to do a lot of things. I like PGs who are able to create, break down the D, force rotations, penetrate and finish. Basically, I like score-first mentality guards, and we haven't had many (Edwards and Ivey were both like that and happened to be our best players) Any college guard should be able to dump the ball into the post or get the ball to a guy coming off a screen, that's high school skill stuff.
But, having the speed, handles, and athleticism to create problems for the defense is a different skill set.

What has Purdue seemingly always struggled with on D? Containing penetrating guards or guards who are good in the high PnR.
So because you like score-first point guards- the guards we have had that were score-first guards are now retroactively point guards? The Starting point guard when Carsen was here was either PJ Thompson or Nojel Eastern. The starting point guard while Ivey was here was either Isaiah Thompson or Eric Hunter. Nice revisionist history.

I am completely fine with a pass first point guard. The important thing is for that pass first player to be a threat when they need to be. Can they knock down an open 3 when the ball is kicked out to them (Morton can), can they finish on the break or make a key pass to a finisher (Morton can).

PJ was not enough of a playmaker for others to be considered a great PG in my opinion.
Nojel was not able to make defenses pay when they ignored him and played 5 defenders on our 4 scoring threats.
Morton does not have these deficiencies.

Now there are certainly questions about Morton ever being the starting PG full-time. Can he handle the ball under full court pressure well enough? Can the opposing PG be contained if Morton is the only PG for Purdue on the floor? Those are fair questions. Can he score 15+ppg shouldn't be one in my opinion.

PG is the least important position on the floor in Painter’s system. The PG you describe here would not do well in Painter’s system.

Yep, wingspan is important. A player is not going to block shots with his head or torso like in soccer.

How about a bicycle kick for three? That would be something.

BeautifulScaredAmericantoad-size_restricted.gif

• Haha
Reactions: TX4GB
Surely this can't be right. We've been lectured about Smith. I mean, just look at his height and size, he can't be any good.

:cool:
We will all find out soon enough if it matters or not.

The kid was dominant in HS...as fun a player to watch as there was.

But, it mattered in the case of Isaiah, who was also a very good/top HS player.

Personally, I think he is just different because of his motor and athleticism, but, as I said...we will see...there certainly are a number of college coaches that seemed to feel that it matters, or will.

Personally, I think he is just different because of his motor and athleticism, but, as I said...we will see...there certainly are a number of college coaches that seemed to feel that it matters, or will.
I’d add a significant strength advantage vs IT. If he can take care of the ball, hit open shots and play defense that would be a huge win. Anything beyond that his first year seems unrealistic.

He was under the radar because of the pandemic....he had no aau the summer before junior year....he committed right before his senior year aau... Painter offered at the right time, otherwise he would've been a highly touted recruit....Waddell is the same way....those two will be hidden gems if healthy....

He was under the radar because of the pandemic....he had no aau the summer before junior year....he committed right before his senior year aau... Painter offered at the right time, otherwise he would've been a highly touted recruit....Waddell is the same way....those two will be hidden gems if healthy....
Yes, exactly. I think Braden will surprise more than a few. Maybe even convert Bone before seasons end? Alright, maybe that's too much to ask. :D

But in all seriousness, the guy can play. Here's an AAU clip from a couple years ago when he went head to head with DGL. He's not exactly playing against cupcakes, and remember this was from 2 years ago. Surely he's improved since then.

Yes, exactly. I think Braden will surprise more than a few. Maybe even convert Bone before seasons end? Alright, maybe that's too much to ask. :D

But in all seriousness, the guy can play. Here's an AAU clip from a couple years ago when he went head to head with DGL. He's not exactly playing against cupcakes, and remember this was from 2 years ago. Surely he's improved since then.

Nothing would make me happier than to come here and say that I was 100% completely wrong on Smith.

Nothing would make me happier than to come here and say that I was 100% completely wrong on Smith.
Just curious...what kind of numbers would Smith need to put up this year to prove you "wrong"? What would constitute a successful freshman season in your opinion?

that's exactly the point. Purdue made a deep run that year because of guard play. Poor guard play usually results in an early exit.
I completely agree with your two points above. Guard play is crucial in the tournament. While I am more optimistic around this year's backcourt than you are, I also agree that there are bunch of questions there.

Your post that I responded to stated was asserting that Painter's team struggle in the tourney because of how point guard's are used in MP's system.

From my perspective neither Carsen or Cline were in any way point guards.

Reactions: Schnelk and Poprudy
I completely agree with your two points above. Guard play is crucial in the tournament. While I am more optimistic around this year's backcourt than you are, I also agree that there are bunch of questions there.

Your post that I responded to stated was asserting that Painter's team struggle in the tourney because of how point guard's are used in MP's system.

Neither was Ivey and we struggled with the ball in his hands at times, but he was the #5 pick. Bone likes numbers...only when it benefits his narrative.

Reactions: northside100
Just curious...what kind of numbers would Smith need to put up this year to prove you "wrong"? What would constitute a successful freshman season in your opinion?
Not sure if it's statistically quantifiable. I want to see a guy who can compete size-wise, quickness wise, athletically and not get targeted on defense or abused on offense. A guy who looks like he belongs on the floor against P5 or B10 schools and not at Buffalo, Akron or those only schools recruiting him.

Reactions: johnboiler123

Edwards was a ball dominant, high volume 3 level scorer who could go get you a bucket at any time, especially crunch time. That's what you need in the tourney; a guy you can give the ball to and he can get you a bucket.

Neither was Ivey and we struggled with the ball in his hands at times, but he was the #5 pick. Bone likes numbers...only when it benefits his narrative.
Purdue won a lot more games with Ivey playing than had he not played for Purdue. Keep in mind, Hunter threw up a goose egg against St. Pete.

Reactions: ImRonBurgandy?
Not sure if it's statistically quantifiable. I want to see a guy who can compete size-wise, quickness wise, athletically and not get targeted on defense or abused on offense. A guy who looks like he belongs on the floor against P5 or B10 schools and not at Buffalo, Akron or those only schools recruiting him.
So he doesn’t need to have any quantifiable skills, just needs to be big and athletic, and look good coming off the bus?

Reactions: boilerball2021
PG is the least important position on the floor in Painter’s system. The PG you describe here would not do well in Painter’s system.
Not sure about that. Every position is important. I just think Matt has a different priority weighting on the 1 than some other coaches. Matt is a bit of a contrarian with his play at the 5, 1 and off ball screening than many other coaches.

Reactions: purduepat1969
It depends.

If your looking at it from a starting point guard prospective, I'd want to see 8 or 9 points per game, 38%+ from three, 80% free throw percentage and a 2 to 1 assist to turnover ratio. That would say to me this guy was ready as a freshman to be a starting point guard in the B1G.

If your looking at it from a standpoint of a freshman (which he is), I would say a successful season would be scoring 4 or 5 points per game with less turnovers than assist and shooting the ball at a 35%+ clip from 3. Even with those numbers I'm not sure its good enough for us to compete for a B1G crown if he's "the guy" at the point.

So he doesn’t need to have any quantifiable skills, just needs to be big and athletic, and look good coming off the bus?
No, that's not what I said. Reread it.
If he scores 8-10/game, hit open 3's at 40%, that's great.
But, if he is too small, not quick enough, not athletic enough to had with the athletes he's going to face at this level, that's my concern.

No, that's not what I said. Reread it.
If he scores 8-10/game, hit open 3's at 40%, that's great.
But, if he is too small, not quick enough, not athletic enough to had with the athletes he's going to face at this level, that's my concern.
So basically have stats like Carsen Edward's freshman year and he's good, but anything less and he's a bum?

It depends.

If your looking at it from a starting point guard prospective, I'd want to see 8 or 9 points per game, 38%+ from three, 80% free throw percentage and a 2 to 1 assist to turnover ratio. That would say to me this guy was ready as a freshman to be a starting point guard in the B1G.

If your looking at it from a standpoint of a freshman (which he is), I would say a successful season would be scoring 4 or 5 points per game with less turnovers than assist and shooting the ball at a 35%+ clip from 3. Even with those numbers I'm not sure its good enough for us to compete for a B1G crown if he's "the guy" at the point.
Good post. The second set of stats you posted seems realistic. Unless Smith is significantly better or worse than expected I’m not sure that he’s the primary determinant as to whether or not this team competes for a BT championship. A lot of questions in that backcourt.

Reactions: PurdueDave
It depends.

it is hard for me to put numbers down on a player that is not the go to player and somewhat difficult for the go to player. Can a player be good and the other players perhaps better on a given metric? What if Caleb only averages 9 points a game..or Mason or Brandon or...???? What if there is more depth than imagined and a LOT of minutes are shared...does that variable affect the given metrics? For the life of me I don't know and not interested in researching, but do wonder what are the metrics for the guards that play over 12...15, or some number of minutes a game for the top four finishers in the Big the last decade...and is there a significant difference between those numbers and the guards of the bottom 4 teams under the same criteria?

Right now there is a LOT of speculation that may or may not be very accurate in just how this Purdue team will shake out. I think we will have a better feel by mid January

Last edited:
Reactions: DAG10
So what stats are good enough for you? I agree with SCBoiler's 2nd paragraph assessment. Do you?

I already said, I don't have some predetermined stats in mind (unless he's a 15 pt, 6 asst guy, which I'd be happy with).
I'm interested to see if he can handle the ball and the pressure he's going to face, can he hit the 3 (which is supposed to be one of his strengths), can he make teams pay for playing tight man D, can he create for others, will he be abused/targeted on D like IT was.

Reactions: DAG10
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT