ADVERTISEMENT

2022/2023 Team Roster

This is a terrible response. You don’t seem to be able to think critically, and are incapable of discerning the different between a “fact or reason” and an “excuse”. WTF 90? You lose a Hummel or Haas off the team, the key player, and somehow that’s an excuse?
....furthermore, "fact or reason" - Why hasn't Purdue been to a FF in 43 years? Two coaches who haven't landed the right combination of players to elevate the program to that level.

"excuse" - Why hasn't Purdue been to a FF in 43 years? Bad bracket draw, so and so got injured, other teams are cheating, bad luck...............

Two great Boilers no doubt, but neither would have assured a FF. Guards, guards, guards get it done. Even you, an admitted IU fan, saw what it took for Purdue to ALMOST make a FF. So as far as the "critically thinking" charge goes I'll have to just consider the source, an admitted IU fan. The opinion of an IU fan means so little to me that there is no scale to measure it.
It's not just guards. It's guards that can create their own shot plus involve others.

What almost got Purdue to a FF was CE going nuts and getting others like Cline, getting 27 vs Tennessee. We probably were close to that last year with Ivey. Unfortunately, he didn't have the tourney we'd hope for, but SS didn't have any Cline games either.

That Almost FF team was essentially a one man show. Even, if you put Ivey with that team they're not seconds away from a FF.

I do agree that we need athletic guards and multiple of them.

I don't know what's more embarrassing, the fact that Purdue hasn't been to a FF in 43 years, or your lame-ass excuses!
Embarrassing? Really? Northwestern Basketball is embarrassing. Penn State basketball fan support is embarrassing. IU basketball chasing coach after coach is embarrassing. Kansas and Louisville buying players is embarrassing. Purdue's lack of FF is definitely frustrating. You can even say it's disappointing or heartbreaking, but there is nothing embarrassing about Purdue basketball.

You can't hold it against Duke that they're usually a high seed. That's because Coach K built the program into that.
Duke has earned the right to have some poor NCAA appearances, because we know they're a perennial FF contender. Purdue and Duke shouldn't even be mentioned in the same sentence when it comes to tourney success discussions.
I mean Purdue is also a high seed every year and has had about as much success as Duke has over the past 6 years without have 4 5 stars per class. I can’t imagine there is a team that has matched or exceeded our seed each year since then, so Purdue is basically the most statistically likely team to get upset. Duke just won their first conference title in 12 years

Last edited:
Reactions: Schnelk
Painter made 6 Elite Eights?

But no, that's not the complaint. It's not really even a complaint, more like just pointing out a fact that Painter is not a strong tourney coach. He's shown the ability to reach the Sweet 16, but his 1-5 record in S16 games suggests......

I suppose if we'd win 4 in a row Lenny would say "Painter's gotten better but he's no John Wooden."

I knew John Wooden; John Wooden was a friend of mine....

55f952a7bd86ef10008ba9b5

You don’t think having Hummel or Haas would have given us a chance to win 2 more of those sweet sixteen games ? Dumb.
A chance? Sure. Guaranteed? Absolutely not. As we've seen time and again, a big slow low post player like Haas is easily neutralized.

I mean Purdue is also a high seed every year and has had about as much success as Duke has over the past 6 years without have 4 5 stars per class. I can’t imagine there is a team that has matched or exceeded our seed each year since then, so Purdue is basically the most statistically likely team to get upset. Duke just won their first conference title in 12 years
Please stop comparing Duke basketball to Purdue. There is no comparison.

Reactions: Purdue_BS_90
So we wait on smith to get more offers then offer so we say we beat out other schools?....that's always worked out well with us in the past...we never offered luke brown the stetson kid....mr basketball is a big deal....rarely do they not pan out in college...am I expecting smith to be an all American this year?...no....will he contribute and provide defense, passing, and making the team better?....sure he will....you need to watch film on him....he's one of the best guards painter has gotten....much better than a lot of the ranked players....covid really affected recruiting rankings for this class....loyer is big time too....a lot of etwaun in his game....
I'm not intending to sound like Bob Knight on Damien Bailey, but had Purdue had Braden last year with his more mature body today...Purdue would have been a better team last year. That team would have been more focused with someone capable of controlling play better.

You don’t think having Hummel or Haas would have given us a chance to win 2 more of those sweet sixteen games ? Dumb.
What's dumb is believing that Painter would have beaten Coach K in the SS in 2010. With or without Hummel it wasn't going to happen. You are delusional if you believe that.

• Haha
*** would have been more focused with someone capable of controlling play better.

That would have likely solved a lot of the unforced errors as well - and IMO was the fatal flaw of the team all year long despite the effort, talent level, and volume of victories. Matt Painter conceded he could never really get a handle on fixing it.....he has to take the blame as he should, and maybe I'm in the minority, but some of that also has to go on the players/team as well. That's partially a trust issue - but it's a two-way street in order to able to reach your goals.

If Mr. Smith and others can bring more of that and be more in sync with what Matt Painter wants or directs, you'll see the results. Countdown in less than a month.....

A chance? Sure. Guaranteed? Absolutely not. As we've seen time and again, a big slow low post player like Haas is easily neutralized.
Nothing is guaranteed. But Hummel and Haas getting hurt decreased our chances of winning those S16 games. That’s a fact.

You are delusional if you think we would have been playing Duke in the S16 with a healthy Hummel.
Then "insert coaches name here" would have beaten Painter in the SS in 2010. You know of the ceiling right? You know it took a once in a lifetime performance from a once in a generation player for Purdue to even get past the SS once under Painter. It wasn't going to happen in 2010, and it's not happening now. Painter may stick around another 7-8 years and leave on the 50th year anniversary since Purdue last went to a FF. Although with this NIL crap he may not even want to stick around that long.

What's dumb is believing that Painter would have beaten Coach K in the SS in 2010. With or without Hummel it wasn't going to happen. You are delusional if you believe that.
I mean you can say that based in history it would not have happened if you want... but Purdue WAS a better team than Duke that year before the injury. And maybe there have not been other opportunities to beat coach K in the tournament, but both Painter and Keady have beaten Duke in the last 20 years

I mean you can say that based in history it would not have happened if you want... but Purdue WAS a better team than Duke that year before the injury. And maybe there have not been other opportunities to beat coach K in the tournament, but both Painter and Keady have beaten Duke in the last 20 years
They were both really good. Around mid-March Duke was #3 and Purdue was #10(would have been higher with Hummel). I can't say that Purdue with Hummel was better than the eventual National Champs. Certainly the teams were on par, but the coaches were light years apart. I doubt that either Painter or Keady ever beat Coach K in the NCAA tournament. That's not saying it didn't happen, I just don't recall it happening.

Then "insert coaches name here" would have beaten Painter in the SS in 2010. You know of the ceiling right? You know it took a once in a lifetime performance from a once in a generation player for Purdue to even get past the SS once under Painter. It wasn't going to happen in 2010, and it's not happening now. Painter may stick around another 7-8 years and leave on the 50th year anniversary since Purdue last went to a FF. Although with this NIL crap he may not even want to stick around that long.
Ah, emotional ranting. You know what they say about arguing with idiots…

They were both really good. Around mid-March Duke was #3 and Purdue was #10(would have been higher with Hummel). I can't say that Purdue with Hummel was better than the eventual National Champs. Certainly the teams were on par, but the coaches were light years apart. I doubt that either Painter or Keady ever beat Coach K in the NCAA tournament. That's not saying it didn't happen, I just don't recall it happening.
It was #3 when Hummel got hurt, which means a 1 or 2 seed.

If my memory serves me, both teams above Purdue got beat that week. That would've put Purdue at #1.

Yep, and we played MSU on Sunday. Had our game be on Monday, it'd be really strange for the voters, and I wonder if they would put us #1 (after #1 and #2 lost), and we beat Minny after losing Hummel.

Reactions: mathboy
If nothing else, it certainly seems like Minnesota would not have destroyed us in the B10 tournament if Hummel was still healthy- considering how easily we beat them when he played.

Exactly. We were by far the best team in the BIG and probably would have won the BIG tourney, and gotten a number 1 or 2 seed. Changes the whole run out of that year.
Now I will agree with the 1 or 2 seed. Easily. But winning the BIG tourney and getting past the SS? Not likely.

If my memory serves me, both teams above Purdue got beat that week. That would've put Purdue at #1.

Most likely IF Purdue had then defeated Michigan State as well. Kansas and Kentucky did both lose that week, and Syracuse was #1 in the next poll.....

IF's and BUT's worse than Two in Bush say Texfucius.

giphy.gif

Last edited:
  • Haha
That would have likely solved a lot of the unforced errors as well - and IMO was the fatal flaw of the team all year long despite the effort, talent level, and volume of victories. Matt Painter conceded he could never really get a handle on fixing it.....he has to take the blame as he should, and maybe I'm in the minority, but some of that also has to go on the players/team as well. That's partially a trust issue - but it's a two-way street in order to able to reach your goals.

If Mr. Smith and others can bring more of that and be more in sync with what Matt Painter wants or directs, you'll see the results. Countdown in less than a month.....
I'll go a step farther in suggesting that coaches sometimes have kids...good kids pulling in different directions and that changing human thoughts is many times difficult to impossible. That is why Matt said "depth" makes that easier. Then "depth" is never about all players being equal and so your depth may not be as good as another's depth or as another team that doesn't use much depth. I just think we had kids so talented they thought they could turn in on like a light switch...and for a few games they did. However, most eyes knew there was more to give..."IF"...

Braden as a freshman will be more in sync I believe...

Okay, we get it. You're embarrassed by Purdue basketball and hate CMP. My advice is to find a different team to follow as CMP isn't going anywhere.
No. Obviously you don't get it and are too thick to ever get it. Not surprising for you Math-Fanboi types who think you are the "virtuous right kind of Purdue fans". I like Painter and think he is a good coach. Never waivered from that. Painter is not a transformative coach and will never reach a FF. He's just Keady 2.0. Never waivered from that. Not embarrassed by Purdue basketball. What's embarrassing is that a quality program like Purdue hasn't been to a FF in almost 50 years. See the distinction? I didn't think you would. As for the tired Math-Fanboi type of retort of "go find a different team to follow", my degree says otherwise, I don't have a choice. I certainly don't need any advice from your ilk. Next time use rule #7 from the Math-Fanboi handbook. "If someone disagrees with you accuse them of being an IU fan". That rule is the ultimate irony since the leader of the Math-Fanboi fanclub, Math-Fanboi, is an admitted IU fan! You just can't make that stuff up!

Last edited:
No. Obviously you don't get it and are too thick to ever get it. Not surprising for you Math-Fanboi types who think you are the "virtuous right kind of Purdue fans". I like Painter and think he is a good coach. Never waivered from that. Painter is not a transformative coach and will never reach a FF. He's just Keady 2.0. Never waivered from that. Not embarrassed by Purdue basketball. What's embarrassing is that a quality program like Purdue hasn't been to a FF in almost 50 years. See the distinction? I didn't think you would. As for the tired Math-Fanboi type of retort of "go find a different team to follow", my degree says otherwise, I don't have a choice. I certainly don't need any advice from your ilk.
Okay tough guy. Maybe relax a bit and enjoy the ride instead of trashing Painter and the program every chance you get. As for me, I'm looking forward to this year's team and will enjoy every moment. Hope you figure out how to enjoy life instead of being bitter about lack of FF success.

Huh?? Embarrassing?? Look, I know neither Painter nor Keady have had great runs deep into the tournament. But "embarrassing" wouldn't even register as a word I would use to describe this situation...
Coming up on 50 years of no FF's and tournament losses to the likes of St. Petes? We'll have to agree to disagree! I find that embarrassing for a quality program like Purdue.

Coming up on 50 years of no FF's and tournament losses to the likes of St. Petes? We'll have to agree to disagree! I find that embarrassing for a quality program like Purdue.
I'll make you a bag you can put over your head. Isn't that what fans of embarrassing programs wear?

One thing we agree on is that Purdue is a quality program. Nothing embarrassing about it.

Okay tough guy. Maybe relax a bit and enjoy the ride instead of trashing Painter and the program every chance you get. As for me, I'm looking forward to this year's team and will enjoy every moment. Hope you figure out how to enjoy life instead of being bitter about lack of FF success.
Hey, wait a minute...... That's usually my line.

Enjoy your weekend. Hopefully, you'll have something tasty in that glass.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT