ADVERTISEMENT

2022/2023 Team Roster

You can't hold it against Duke that they're usually a high seed. That's because Coach K built the program into that.
Duke has earned the right to have some poor NCAA appearances, because we know they're a perennial FF contender. Purdue and Duke shouldn't even be mentioned in the same sentence when it comes to tourney success discussions.
When they can stop Izzo and others from coming in and get top Indiana talents every year and keep them at home that will be a big help with everything

Sure, no one wants to face a No1 seed, no matter what year it is. But, it's not like Purdue has gotten a bad draw and been knocked out by the best team in the nation every year.
The fact remains, Painter never upsets teams in the tourney. He basically plays to the chalk, except that he's taken some bad losses.
I certainly do not put the loss vs Kansas in Hummel's final season on Painter. Purdue led most of that game before Lewis Jackson started playing like he had been paid to throw the game.

I certainly do not put the loss vs Kansas in Hummel's final season on Painter. Purdue led most of that game before Lewis Jackson started playing like he had been paid to throw the game.
Seems like I recall (without looking it up) at least a couple of tournaments where we were knocked out by the eventual champion. The Florida game comes to mind. Weren’t we knocked out by the eventual two-time nat champion Gators?

Seems like I recall (without looking it up) at least a couple of tournaments where we were knocked out by the eventual champion. The Florida game comes to mind. Weren’t we knocked out by the eventual two-time nat champion Gators?

Yep, and the final score against Purdue was the closest game for them that whole tourney

Yes- Purdue lost to #1- and champion- Florida in Kramer's freshman season.

We also lost to champion Duke in the year that Hummel first tore his ACL
We also lost to champion Virginia the year that we beat them if Cline makes his free throws.

That's just off of the top of my head.

'07 Florida, '10 Duke, and '19 Virginia, IIRC.

Yes- Purdue lost to #1- and champion- Florida in Kramer's freshman season.

We also lost to champion Duke in the year that Hummel first tore his ACL
We also lost to champion Virginia the year that we beat them if Cline makes his free throws.

That's just off of the top of my head.

So, that’s at least three times the eventual champion has knocked us out. That seems to be a quirk of getting a bad draw don’t you think? Sweet sixteen, eight games and we get the tough one 3 times in the 5-6 times we’ve made the sixteen field. The math seems to say we’ve had really bad draws if that is the case.

So, that’s at least three times the eventual champion has knocked us out. That seems to be a quirk of getting a bad draw don’t you think? Sweet sixteen, eight games and we get the tough one 3 times in the 5-6 times we’ve made the sixteen field. The math seems to say we’ve had really bad draws if that is the case.

mathboy,

I'd say it's a little more of where you get seeded and being in the same half of the bracket with the top seed. If you're not a 1-seed, you'd rather be in the opposite half of the bracket. 4/5-seeds are scheduled to meet the top seed in the Regionals. Purdue under Matt Painter has been a 4-seed three times, and a 5-seed twice - also a 9-seed twice.

Maybe tougher than the average, but IMO, Purdue's had some good draws/breaks as well and couldn't capitalize (last year and 2016 as an example). They were certainly playing well enough and capable of beating Virginia, however, and that wasn't until the 4th round.

A little unlucky perhaps.....but eventually, that may even out.

JMHO

Every year, 5 teams get knocked out by the eventual champion.

Reactions: DAG10
There's no quirk about it. You play who you have to play. Every year, 5 teams get to claim they lost to the eventual champion.
You can look at the 2 ways.
1) Purdue got a bad draw
2) The eventual champion got a good draw in facing Purdue......

Last year, Purdue couldn't have asked for a better scenario and Painter laid a giant turd.

There's no quirk about it. You play who you have to play. Every year, 5 teams get to claim they lost to the eventual champion.
You can look at the 2 ways.
1) Purdue got a bad draw
2) The eventual champion got a good draw in facing Purdue......

Last year, Purdue couldn't have asked for a better scenario and Painter laid a giant turd.
6 out of 67 teams get to say that. 9% of the field. That's pretty low. What are the chances it happens to the same team 3 times in a 13 year span? Much lower

6 out of 67 teams get to say that. 9% of the field. That's pretty low. What are the chances it happens to the same team 3 times in a 13 year span? Much lower
So maybe it's time to step it up, beat one of those teams we'd normally like to, and become the champion ourselves?

I believe it's actually a 16% chance (there's only 16 teams in a bracket) to get to the FF, then a 50% chance you play the NC.

But again, is Purdue playing the NC 3 times a function of Purdue getting unlucky or a function of the eventual NC getting lucky and getting to play Purdue (not traditionally a strong tourney team).

I believe it's actually a 16% chance (there's only 16 teams in a bracket) to get to the FF, then a 50% chance you play the NC.

But again, is Purdue playing the NC 3 times a function of Purdue getting unlucky or a function of the eventual NC getting lucky and getting to play Purdue (not traditionally a strong tourney team).
No. Any of the 67 have a chance of being defeated by the champion if they get as far as the title game. Don't overthink this

Reactions: mathboy
I recall Joakim Noah saying the Purdue game was the toughest the Gators had in that tourney.

Carl Landry was his usual solid self, and nobody had really challenged them much the second half of the season. Typical of a championship-caliber team, Florida made all the right plays down the stretch and was really good from the FT line, IIRC.

Reactions: Schnelk
I recall Joakim Noah saying the Purdue game was the toughest the Gators had in that tourney.
Yeah and every time this comes up I get mad because I get reminded that Noah said that- and that our score was the closest game that they had- yet EVERYONE around Indianapolis said over and over and over again that it was Butler that came the closest to beating them that year. By what metric?

Exactly. Butler went to 2 straight FF and had to beat some really good teams to get there. That was mostly coaching.
So your complaint is that Matt Painter is not Brad Stevens? Given that MP has outperformed his peers at most comparable institutions by consistently making the NCAAT and reaching six elite eights, is your main point simply that he's not been elite?

Reactions: wallyboiler79
I've said it before and here once more. Give me 5* team chemistry during the tournament over 5* talent every year.

Better teams get knocked out all the time in that one and done crap shoot. With NIL and personal "incentives" to boost income, we might see more upsets.

Reactions: Schnelk and mathboy
So your complaint is that Matt Painter is not Brad Stevens? Given that MP has outperformed his peers at most comparable institutions by consistently making the NCAAT and reaching six elite eights, is your main point simply that he's not been elite?
Painter made 6 Elite Eights?

But no, that's not the complaint. It's not really even a complaint, more like just pointing out a fact that Painter is not a strong tourney coach. He's shown the ability to reach the Sweet 16, but his 1-5 record in S16 games suggests......

But no, that's not the complaint. It's not really even a complaint, more like just pointing out a fact that Painter is not a strong tourney coach. He's shown the ability to reach the Sweet 16, but his 1-5 record in S16 games suggests......
…that he ran into:

-2 fluke injuries
-At least 1 bought and paid for team

…that he ran into:

-2 fluke injuries
-At least 1 bought and paid for team
Injuries happen, it's apart of the game. Painter has had plenty of completely healthy teams. Same with paying players, it's apart of the game. Painter isn't a bad tournament coach, because bad coaches don't make sweet 16s. But I definitely wouldn't label him as a 'good' tournament coach either.

Got me, six SS’s good catch 👍

There’s certainly no data to suggest that MP is a good tournament coach. Again, I’d argue that the real problem is the teams have just not been good enough. Some of that is coaching, some has been injuries, but the majority, with the exception of last year, has been a talent issue.

Got me, six SS’s good catch 👍

There’s certainly no data to suggest that MP is a good tournament coach. Again, I’d argue that the real problem is the teams have just not been good enough. Some of that is coaching, some has been injuries, but the majority, with the exception of last year, has been a talent issue.
I would agree that it's a combination of talent, coaching, etc. I do think that Painter isn't the best at making in-game adjustments, especially when playing a team he's unfamiliar with or if the refs call it a certain way.
I think the other issue is he just hasn't had enough guards who can take over a game. The deeper you go in the tourny, the more important guard play becomes.

I suppose if we'd win 4 in a row Lenny would say "Painter's gotten better but he's no John Wooden."
It’s very much a what have you done for me lately / grass is always greener world. Just ask Rick Barnes, Bruce Weber or Frank Martin what kind of loyalty / respect / support getting to a final 4 gets someone.

Reactions: collegehoopsfan123
I don't know what's more embarrassing, the fact that Purdue hasn't been to a FF in 43 years, or your lame-ass excuses!
This is a terrible response. You don’t seem to be able to think critically, and are incapable of discerning the different between a “fact or reason” and an “excuse”. WTF 90? You lose a Hummel or Haas off the team, the key player, and somehow that’s an excuse?

Reactions: Schnelk
This is a terrible response. You don’t seem to be able to think critically, and are incapable of discerning the different between a “fact or reason” and an “excuse”. WTF 90? You lose a Hummel or Haas off the team, the key player, and somehow that’s an excuse?
Two great Boilers no doubt, but neither would have assured a FF. Guards, guards, guards get it done. Even you, an admitted IU fan, saw what it took for Purdue to ALMOST make a FF. So as far as the "critically thinking" charge goes I'll have to just consider the source, an admitted IU fan. The opinion of an IU fan means so little to me that there is no scale to measure it.

ADVERTISEMENT