ADVERTISEMENT

2020 Potential Depth Chart - Offense

Boiler Addict

True Freshman
Feb 19, 2020
I was doing excel practice for a scholarship grid (with the exception of Garvin) and associated depth. Here's my guesses. Brohm stopped issuing a depth chart last year. Thought it would be fun to see what could have been. I took several liberties with the unknowns.

QB - Yr - 247 Rating
Jack Plummer - SOPH (RS) - 0.8743
Austin Burton - JR (RS) - 0.8144
Aidan O'Connell - JR (RS) - NA
Paul Piferi - FSH (RS) - 0.8581

Have a couple upperclassman, but all lack major experience. If spring ball happens, for some reason I think Burton could be the guy. Brohm has been silent on Piferi, I wonder why.

RB1 - Yr - 247 Rating
King Doerue - SOPH - 0.8763
Tirek Murphy - FSH - 0.9047
Da'Joun Hewitt - FSH (RS) - 0.8418

RB2 - Yr - 247 Rating
Alexander Horvath - JR (RS) - NA
Alfred Armour - SOPH (RS) - NA

I split the backs up into running back / full back type. Let's not argue about Horvath. Watch his tape, even the Indiana game, he's slow and should be a fullback.

I think the RB1 group could be good for the foreseeable future. All really young but depth unproven.

WR1 - Yr - 247 Rating
Milton Wright - SOPH - 0.9180
Amad Anderson - SOPH (RS) - 0.8809
Abdur-Rahmaan Yaseen - FSH - 0.8958

Some experience. Good depth here.

WR2 - Yr - 247 Rating
David Bell - SOPH - 0.9495
Jared Sparks - SR (5) - 0.7649
Mershawn Rice - FSH (RS) - 0.8816

Some experience. Good depth but has had injuries. Unsure if Maliq goes here.

WR3 - Yr - 247 Rating
TJ Sheffield - FSH (RS) - 0.8743
Jackson Anthrop - SR (5) - 0.8043
Maliq Carr - FSH - 0.9279

Outside of Anthrop, no experience and unproven. M. Moore would replace Maliq.

TE - Yr - 247 Rating
Payne Durham - SOPH (RS) - 0.8205
Garrett Miller - FSH (RS) - 0.8561
Kyle Bilodeau - FSH (RS) - 0.8802

Inexperienced. Seems like Miller has the blocking advantage over Bilodeau.

LT - Yr - 247 Rating
Grant Hermanns - SR (5) - 0.8065
Eric Miller - SOPH (RS) - 0.8394
Jimmy McKenna - SOPH (RS) - 0.8614

Needed a backup for LT so put Miller here. He's taller. Seems 2 deep is serviceable and has experience.

LG - Yr - 247 Rating
Cam Craig - FSH (RS) - 0.8417
DJ Washington - JR (RS) - 0.8147
Dave Monnot III - FSH (RS) - 0.8390

Seems 2 deep is serviceable and has experience.

C - Yr - 247 Rating
Sam Garvin - Junior (RS) - 0.7631
Spencer Holstege - FSH (RS) - 0.8323
Gus Hartwig - FSH - 0.8937

Hopefully there's no injuries and everyone knows the playbook. Depth has no experience.

RG - Yr - 247 Rating
Mark Stickford - JR (RS) - 0.8300
Kyle Jornigan - FSH (RS) - 0.8573
Jared Bycznski - FSH - 0.8539

Seems 2 deep is serviceable. Depth has no experience.

RT - Yr - 247 Rating
Greg Long - Grad Trans. - 0.7481
Will Bramel - SOPH (RS) - 0.8552
Nalin Fox - FSH - 0.8414

Seems 2 deep is serviceable and has experience.

It really is amazing how young the roster is. I know it, but doing this reminds me why I'm so excited about 2021. I'm starting to think with the youth, this extra time (delay/cancellation to the season) could really help our development, especially at QB, C and OL if guys take advantage of the next 4 months.

Reactions: njm8845
I believe one of the reasons Brohm doesn’t issue a traditional depth chart is because his offense deals various with personnel packages. Case in point Horvath. There were certain formations and plays ran for him and vs what they ran with King to utilize the strengths of each. That didn’t make him a fullback, but it also didn’t make the two backs completely interchangeable either. Get Zander out in space where he can get going vertically and run through arm tackles and he’s a pretty effective change up to King.

Also, agree with Nat. Brohm seems higher on Alaimo than Piferi.

And here is my dark horse. If Sheffield doesn’t grab control of the slot position, I believe Marcellus will be given the next opportunity to shine. Rondale showed what having elite speed does to open things up for the offense.

I believe one of the reasons Brohm doesn’t issue a traditional depth chart is because his offense deals various with personnel packages. Case in point Horvath. There were certain formations and plays ran for him and vs what they ran with King to utilize the strengths of each. That didn’t make him a fullback, but it also didn’t make the two backs completely interchangeable either. Get Zander out in space where he can get going vertically and run through arm tackles and he’s a pretty effective change up to King.

And here is my dark horse. If Sheffield doesn’t grab control of the slot position, I believe Marcellus will be given the next opportunity to shine. Rondale showed what having elite speed does to open things up for the offense.
I would personally be shocked if Moore is anything more than a returner.

Reactions: BlkGoldHoops
Amad Anderson will start before either Wright or Sheffield. I think he's a better slot receiver than outside. He's a really good possession receiver and gets good yardage after the catch. And I really don't think anyone's gonna keep Carr off the field, either as a TE or inside receiver in a 4 or 5 WR set.

Unfortunately, Horvath just doesn't hit the hole fast enough. He did a serviceable job when no one else was available. But a mature Doerue and a very fast Murphy should be the backs to get most of the carries. And I don't see anyone including Hewitt in this discussion...

Amad Anderson will start before either Wright or Sheffield. I think he's a better slot receiver than outside. He's a really good possession receiver and gets good yardage after the catch. And I really don't think anyone's gonna keep Carr off the field, either as a TE or inside receiver in a 4 or 5 WR set.
Is Anderson even practicing in the slot? Agree he has the leg up on the outside but we have no information indicating he can succeed in the slot

Is Anderson even practicing in the slot? Agree he has the leg up on the outside but we have no information indicating he can succeed in the slot

I don't know if he's practicing in the slot, but a large chunk of his catches were over the middle. He wasn't outrunning cornerbacks on long catches. And he looks quick enough to play in the slot. Don't see any reason why he couldn't be successful there.

I don't know if he's practicing in the slot, but a large chunk of his catches were over the middle. He wasn't outrunning cornerbacks on long catches. And he looks quick enough to play in the slot. Don't see any reason why he couldn't be successful there.
Let me help you, he didn’t line up in the slot

Does anyone have any information on Mershawn Rice? He was another highly regarded prospect out of Ohio.

Last edited:
Unfortunately, Horvath just doesn't hit the hole fast enough. He did a serviceable job when no one else was available. But a mature Doerue and a very fast Murphy should be the backs to get most of the carries. And I don't see anyone including Hewitt in this discussion...

Horvath played a good game or two. He should be the 2nd or 3rd back. Other guys should get as many or more snaps. He seemed to be on fire against IU, maybe he’s figuring it out

Horvath played a good game or two. He should be the 2nd or 3rd back. Other guys should get as many or more snaps. He seemed to be on fire against IU, maybe he’s figuring it out

"On fire against IU"...I wouldn't make that my measure of success.

Carr will redshirt. Heard it here first.....

Let me help you, he didn’t line up in the slot

Nice call @purduepat1969, I didn’t see that one happening with A.Anderson. Same with M. Carr playing game 1, but with the NCAA giving free eligibility to everyone, I’m not surprised he was in.

Some other notes, I looked at the Iowa participation log, no Bilodeau, but Piferi got in. No OL Stickford and no WR M. Rice. Otherwise, it was pretty much as expected.

Last edited:
Reactions: purduepat1969
Nice call @purduepat1969, I didn’t see that one happening with A.Anderson. Same with M. Carr playing game 1, but with the NCAA giving free eligibility to everyone, I’m not surprised he was in.

Some other notes, I looked at the Iowa participation log, no Bilodeau, but Piferi got in. No OL Stickford and no WR M. Rice. Otherwise, it was pretty much as expected.
Bilodeau played 1 play when we went 3 TE on short yardage

Bilodeau played 1 play when we went 3 TE on short yardage

I believe I know exactly which play you are talking about, because I remember the announcer mentioning it, but the participation report does not have him. I just checked again.

Could be a mix up on who was actually in there, or play that didn’t count, or just a mistake on the report. Regardless, let’s see if he plays much moving forward or if Miller has TE2 locked down.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT