ADVERTISEMENT

2020-2021 Minutes Projections

PurduePete98

Sophomore
Gold Member
Feb 3, 2020
It's a slow time on the board, and there are way to many IU threads being bumped, so I figured I would try to give us something Purdue related to talk about. Below are my guesses on minutes played per game next season. I'm confident already that many people will take issue with the number of minutes I see Wheeler/Gillis/Morton playing next year.

Hunter - 30
Tre - 26
Sasha - 23
Wheeler - 22
Ivey - 20
IT -20
Gillis - 18
Morton - 15
Dow - 14
Newman - 12

Edey - RS

I don’t think Edey redshirts and will get in a few minutes as a change of pace look. Not many teams can match up with his size.

Reactions: JohnHoosierr
I don’t think Edey redshirts and will get in a few minutes as a change of pace look. Not many teams can match up with his size.
I think it largely depends on Dow. If Edey comes in and just dominates him, then yeah I agree with you. Which I think happens simply based on what little Dow has played vs Edey who is no doubt more polished.

Of course if that happens that that pretty much means Dow is just a 4 year body on the bench and hopefully he is ready to go more when Tre leaves.

It's a slow time on the board, and there are way to many IU threads being bumped, so I figured I would try to give us something Purdue related to talk about. Below are my guesses on minutes played per game next season. I'm confident already that many people will take issue with the number of minutes I see Wheeler/Gillis/Morton playing next year.

Hunter - 30
Tre - 26
Sasha - 23
Wheeler - 22
Ivey - 20
IT -20
Gillis - 18
Morton - 15
Dow - 14
Newman - 12

Edey - RS

I'll be shocked if Newman is that low. I'd say 20 plus for him with less for IT. I feel like more for Morton too but I don't know how many minutes a typical true freshman plays under painter.
I'd also think 14 minutes for Dow would be less than ideal for Purdue. Hopefully edey is capable of splitting the backup 5 minutes.

Reactions: TX4GB
I'll be shocked if Newman is that low. I'd say 20 plus for him with less for IT. I feel like more for Morton too but I don't know how many minutes a typical true freshman plays under painter.
I'd also think 14 minutes for Dow would be less than ideal for Purdue. Hopefully edey is capable of splitting the backup 5 minutes.
What would your minutes breakdown be? Increasing both Newman and Morton significantly means you have to decrease others significantly...

I don't see any way IT gets less minutes than he did last year. Keep in mind he beat out Newman for the active roster spot this year at guard.

Reactions: NG.q15

Agreed. I think Edey will be able to contribute on defense right away, but will likely eat up fouls in his first year. Fortunately, hopefully he can stretch them out over a few minutes.

Hunter - 30
Tre - 26
Sasha - 23
Wheeler - 22
Ivey - 20
IT -20
Gillis - 18
Morton - 15
Dow - 14
Newman - 12

Edey - RS
I don’t see how we redshirt Edey...the odds of getting through the season with no injuries to Tre or Dow, and having zero games with both in foul trouble, seem pretty long to me.

Agreed. I think Edey will be able to contribute on defense right away, but will likely eat up fouls in his first year. Fortunately, hopefully he can stretch them out over a few minutes.
Edey would get torched in pick and roll defense.

Reactions: NG.q15
I don’t see how we redshirt Edey...the odds of getting through the season with no injuries to Tre or Dow, and having zero games with both in foul trouble, seem pretty long to me.
We played last year with only Tre and Haarms. EB got some spot minutes. I think Gillis and Wheeler could get some spot minutes far and few between. I just think Edey gets 5 minutes or less, and that would basically be wasting a year.

Pretty close to the OP thoughts, but we won't get a full 40 minutes out of Tre+Dow. IMO there will be times when a smaller lineup is deployed to get more minutes out of the best players and to circumvent foul trouble. This takes into account fatigue and foul trouble, but not injuries. If there are injuries this all blows up.

Hunter 28.8
Sasha 25.2
Williams 24.8
Thompson 23.1
Wheeler 18.8
Ivey 18.5
Gillis 17.7
Morton 16.8
Newman 15.4
Dowouna 10.1

Pretty close to the OP thoughts, but we won't get a full 40 minutes out of Tre+Dow. IMO there will be times when a smaller lineup is deployed to get more minutes out of the best players and to circumvent foul trouble. This takes into account fatigue and foul trouble, but not injuries. If there are injuries this all blows up.

Hunter 28.8
Sasha 25.2
Williams 24.8
Thompson 23.1
Wheeler 18.8
Ivey 18.5
Gillis 17.7
Morton 16.8
Newman 15.4
Dowouna 10.1
Down to the decimal point... That's dedication I did not have haha. Nice work.

Reactions: neckster87
My guess for the game plan (how many minutes Painter plans on each guy playing in a given game) as the season progresses. In parenthesis are how those minutes will be broken down by position if I had to guess. With Purdue there isn’t much difference between the 2 and the 3 since we don’t really have a traditional SF. It’s really just a third guard.

Thompson 17 (17/0/0/0/0)
Hunter 30 (14/16/0/0/0)
Sasha 28 (0/0/28/0/0)
Wheeler 22 (0/0/0/16/6)
Williams 28 (0/0/0/0/28)

Ivey 19 (0/19/0/0/0)
Morton 18 (9/0/0/9/0)
Newman 17 (0/5/12/0/0)
Gillis 15 (0/0/0/15/0)
Edey+Dow 6 (0/0/0/0/6)

This doesn’t consider foul trouble or injuries, just how much Painter will want each guy to play per game.

I’ve got Morton playing a handful minutes as the fourth guard while Wheeler plays the 5. I think of all the guards, Thompson will end up being the odd guy out. He may keep his starting job but the fact he is limited to the PG position will hold him back. If Morton is as tall as Purdue says he is then he can theoretically guard four positions while IT is really limited to just the point.

Thoughts?

My guess for the game plan (how many minutes Painter plans on each guy playing in a given game) as the season progresses. In parenthesis are how those minutes will be broken down by position if I had to guess. With Purdue there isn’t much difference between the 2 and the 3 since we don’t really have a traditional SF. It’s really just a third guard.

Thompson 17 (17/0/0/0/0)
Hunter 30 (14/16/0/0/0)
Sasha 28 (0/0/28/0/0)
Wheeler 22 (0/0/0/16/6)
Williams 28 (0/0/0/0/28)

Ivey 19 (0/19/0/0/0)
Morton 18 (9/0/0/9/0)
Newman 17 (0/5/12/0/0)
Gillis 15 (0/0/0/15/0)
Edey+Dow 6 (0/0/0/0/6)

This doesn’t consider foul trouble or injuries, just how much Painter will want each guy to play per game.

I’ve got Morton playing a handful minutes as the fourth guard while Wheeler plays the 5. I think of all the guards, Thompson will end up being the odd guy out. He may keep his starting job but the fact he is limited to the PG position will hold him back. If Morton is as tall as Purdue says he is then he can theoretically guard four positions while IT is really limited to just the point.

Thoughts?
I don't mind the minutes breakdown at all. I do think if/when Wheeler is at the 5, Gillis will also need to be on the court at the 4 and probably Morton at the 3 (or at least on the court) in order to not get dominated on the boards (ex. Hunter/Ivey/Morton/Gillis/Wheeler).

I don't really see IT becoming the odd man out though. I think now with Nojel gone, all 6 guards will get over 10 mpg. As a freshman, I'm not sure Morton will have the strength or defensive knowledge to guard the opposing 4 effectively.

I don't mind the minutes breakdown at all. I do think if/when Wheeler is at the 5, Gillis will also need to be on the court at the 4 and probably Morton at the 3 (or at least on the court) in order to not get dominated on the boards (ex. Hunter/Ivey/Morton/Gillis/Wheeler).

I don't really see IT becoming the odd man out though. I think now with Nojel gone, all 6 guards will get over 10 mpg. As a freshman, I'm not sure Morton will have the strength or defensive knowledge to guard the opposing 4 effectively.

I’m just not confident that Wheeler and Gillis can combine to play 40 minutes a game at the 4 while also being able to cover some minutes at the 5 when Trevion isn’t in. Im not confident in Edey or Dow for this coming season and Gillis hasn’t played competitive basketball in two years and hasn’t really faced D1 talent besides his teammates. If Wheeler doesn’t show improvements i’m not just his shooting but also some other aspects of his game I just don’t see it. I guess that’s kind of the pessimistic view but I don’t really see any reason to believe otherwise for those four guys.

We would definitely give up a rebounding edge with Morton at the 4 and Wheeler at the 5, but at the same time we’ll have a huge speed advantage which will create mismatches on the other side too. From watching Purdue play with multiple capable bigs for quite some time, it seemed that whenever another team went small against us we didn’t really have the advantage we should having all that size. But who knows

I’m just not confident that Wheeler and Gillis can combine to play 40 minutes a game at the 4 while also being able to cover some minutes at the 5 when Trevion isn’t in. Im not confident in Edey or Dow for this coming season and Gillis hasn’t played competitive basketball in two years and hasn’t really faced D1 talent besides his teammates. If Wheeler doesn’t show improvements i’m not just his shooting but also some other aspects of his game I just don’t see it. I guess that’s kind of the pessimistic view but I don’t really see any reason to believe otherwise for those four guys.

We would definitely give up a rebounding edge with Morton at the 4 and Wheeler at the 5, but at the same time we’ll have a huge speed advantage which will create mismatches on the other side too. From watching Purdue play with multiple capable bigs for quite some time, it seemed that whenever another team went small against us we didn’t really have the advantage we should having all that size. But who knows
I feel ya! We are thin in the front court no doubt, so there may have to be some players play out of their comfort zone, or players that aren't necessarily ready may have to play. I definitely see where your head is with Morton at 4, and I think it's certainly possible. If I remember correctly Sasha played some 4 this year, and I think Morton would certainly be better suited than he.

I feel ya! We are thin in the front court no doubt, so there may have to be some players play out of their comfort zone, or players that aren't necessarily ready may have to play. I definitely see where your head is with Morton at 4, and I think it's certainly possible. If I remember correctly Sasha played some 4 this year, and I think Morton would certainly be better suited than he.
I might note that Painter’s motion offense really flows with a good passing four. I hear Morton might be a good passer? Hmmm, maybe Morton at the four could work out pretty good?

I might note that Painter’s motion offense really flows with a good passing four. I hear Morton might be a good passer? Hmmm, maybe Morton at the four could work out pretty good?
Morton would probably be okay the 4 offensively. The wing positions really aren't all that different in Painter's motion offense. He would get worked on the defensive end by opposing team's 4s. That's where I see the issue.

Painter did not recruit Morton to play the 4 but I could see him playing there for a couple of minutes.Morton is definitely Painters pg of the future.

Thompson 17 (17/0/0/0/0)
Hunter 30 (14/16/0/0/0)
Sasha 28 (0/0/28/0/0)
Wheeler 22 (0/0/0/16/6)
Williams 28 (0/0/0/0/28)

Ivey 19 (0/19/0/0/0)
Morton 18 (9/0/0/9/0)
Newman 17 (0/5/12/0/0)
Gillis 15 (0/0/0/15/0)
Edey+Dow 6 (0/0/0/0/6)

Thoughts?

I'm going out on a limb making a guess that you're a bit of a stats/data aficionado ... correct?

Reactions: jeremyfrank33

Hunter - 30
Tre - 26
Sasha - 23
Wheeler - 22
Ivey - 20
IT -20
Gillis - 18
Morton - 15
Dow - 14
Newman - 12

Edey - RS
Tre = 30, Dow & Edey 5 each
Hunter = 30, Sasha 20
Morton and IT = 20 each
Newman & Ivy = 20 each
Gillis = 20, Wheeler 10

Reactions: buffboiler
Tre = 30, Dow & Edey 5 each
Hunter = 30, Sasha 20
Morton and IT = 20 each
Newman & Ivy = 20 each
Gillis = 20, Wheeler 10
I think you are selling Wheeler short. It will be almost impossible for him to play as bad as he did last year, and even then he got almost 18 mpg. That was with a stronger front court as well.

Thompson 17 (17/0/0/0/0)
Hunter 30 (14/16/0/0/0)
Sasha 28 (0/0/28/0/0)
Wheeler 22 (0/0/0/16/6)
Williams 28 (0/0/0/0/28)

Ivey 19 (0/19/0/0/0)
Morton 18 (9/0/0/9/0)
Newman 17 (0/5/12/0/0)
Gillis 15 (0/0/0/15/0)
Edey+Dow 6 (0/0/0/0/6)

Thoughts?

This seems pretty close to what I'd envision. I'd still give a few of sasha's minutes to Newman though. I like sasha but he seems like more of a 20-22 minute guy than almost 30. I think he gets a little exposed at that level (especially if he's shooting poorly).

I must also be higher than most on newman but from the postseason comments and what I've heard/read about him in the past I still think he's a scorer (top 2 or 3 on team level). He also seems to be interested in defensive difference making which is a bonus.

Reactions: buffboiler
I think you are selling Wheeler short. It will be almost impossible for him to play as bad as he did last year, and even then he got almost 18 mpg. That was with a stronger front court as well.
He’s going to have to prove me different. I disagree on us having a stronger backcourt. He was the only one on the team that could play the 4, which is the only reason he got the minutes he did. CMP was hell bent on not playing Haarms at the 4 or things might be different.

True, I withdraw my weird idea of Morton at the 4. Damn that wild hair!

What is wrong with the "Point Forward?"

Here is the my wishful perfect 5 for the next year

Eric H
Ivey
Newman
Morton
Trey

Heck, this has everything I want:
-driving/slashing/penetrating
-elbow shots
-fantastic distribution
-Treys
-FTs (well Big Cat needs to boost his)
-down low presence
-Rebounding (hoping)

OK, that is my wish list for them all to pan out!

Boiler Up!!

Reactions: TX4GB and mathboy

Hunter 28.8
Sasha 25.2
Williams 24.8
Thompson 23.1
Wheeler 18.8
Ivey 18.5
Gillis 17.7
Morton 16.8
Newman 15.4
Dowouna 10.1

This looks good to me.

What is wrong with the "Point Forward?"

Here is the my wishful perfect 5 for the next year

Eric H
Ivey
Newman
Morton
Trey

Heck, this has everything I want:
-driving/slashing/penetrating
-elbow shots
-fantastic distribution
-Treys
-FTs (well Big Cat needs to boost his)
-down low presence
-Rebounding (hoping)

OK, that is my wish list for them all to pan out!

Boiler Up!!

This could be our Loyola Marymount lineup when they had Hank “the bank” Gathers and Bo Kimble”. Probably need Mason for the Hank part.

Interesting to think about the 5 next year. I don’t see Wheeler of Gillis being able to get minutes there. We need another player that we can play there in a pinch, especially if TreW gets hurt or in foul trouble. Therefore, we need a GT or Edey can’t RS.

I think we are fine at all the other positions. Wheeler and Gillis will get most of the minutes at 4. Newman or Morton could probably play 4 in a pinch.

I like the fact that we have plenty of shooters at all the positions. It looks to me that Ivey will thrive in this offense. I think he’s the best scorer on the team, but probably doesn’t lead the team until TreW is gone.

This could be our Loyola Marymount lineup when they had Hank “the bank” Gathers and Bo Kimble”. Probably need Mason for the Hank part.

That team could score and then some....still sad to think back that Hank Gathers is no longer with us, unexpectedly passing away due to a heart condition during the conference tournament of his senior year.

Paul Westhead's up-tempo style was too much for many teams.....and a decade earlier Westhead had stepped in to take over the Lakers leading them to the NBA championship in the precursor to Pat Riley's Showtime Lakers.

I'd love to see the Boilers surprise a few folks from time to time with some up-tempo style. Maybe down the line....we shall see.

42zv8c.gif

42zsvv.gif

Reactions: TX4GB

How many minutes do you think Morton will get in his first year? Not including those first feel out games, but I see far more ways where he surpasses point guards in our system than not. It honestly would not shock me if he is a starter come conference time. People are cracking me up on here about his defense. This kid seems like the ultimate team player, on a team where team defense/rotation is stressed way more than leaving someone on an island. I think he will be just fine.

Interesting to think about the 5 next year. I don’t see Wheeler of Gillis being able to get minutes there. We need another player that we can play there in a pinch, especially if TreW gets hurt or in foul trouble. Therefore, we need a GT or Edey can’t RS.

I think we are fine at all the other positions. Wheeler and Gillis will get most of the minutes at 4. Newman or Morton could probably play 4 in a pinch.

I like the fact that we have plenty of shooters at all the positions. It looks to me that Ivey will thrive in this offense. I think he’s the best scorer on the team, but probably doesn’t lead the team until TreW is gone.

I agree. Wheeler maybe could fill up some spot minutes, but against very few teams in even fewer situations within the conference. I mean Haarms seemed to get injured every year, usually due to banging down low with 5s.. so I do not see how Gillis will be able to survive down there. Ivey is the perfect off-guard in this system. He has a dribble to create his own shot and can spot up. I am curious to see how the current guards can operate on the team with proper spacing. I try to remember that none of them have really gotten a fair shot to showcase what they may be able to do with shooters the defense has to at least respect on the perimeter.

That team could score and then some....still sad to think back that Hank Gathers is no longer with us, unexpectedly passing away due to a heart condition during the conference tournament of his senior year.

Paul Westhead's up-tempo style was too much for many teams.....and a decade earlier Westhead had stepped in to take over the Lakers leading them to the NBA championship in the precursor to Pat Riley's Showtime Lakers.

I'd love to see the Boilers surprise a few folks from time to time with some up-tempo style. Maybe down the line....we shall see.

42zv8c.gif

42zsvv.gif

I remember the made for TV movie, Final Shot, around Hank and that team (wow, 1992?):

https://m.imdb.com/title/tt0104270/

Hunter 25
Sasha 20
Williams 30
Thompson 20
Wheeler 20
Ivey 20
Gillis 10
Morton 15
Newman 15
Dowouna 10
Edey 10

I believe this is Tre's third year and the offense will depend on him. So he'll log 30 minutes between the 4 and 5.

I believe wheeler will log 20 minutes at the 4, but I'm not expecting tremendous production. just solid play.

that leaves 30 minutes for Dow and Edey and Gillis to back-up Tre and Wheeler. With foul trouble and injuries, I highly doubt Edey will redshirt. And No, I don't consider only playing 5-10 minutes a waste of a season. If he's good, he may start eating up Dow's minutes. Whether he plays or redshirts, his development and practice should be the same. And with Furst and another big man possibly coming next year, Edey might as well play this year to see what he can do. ad who knows? Tre might take a giant step and leave for the pros after three years.

I believe Hunter will start and maybe play some 3. because of our quality depth at guard, I believe his minutes will be lower than some expect.

I envision both Sasha and Thompson coming off the bench in a multiple but very significant 6th man role. I see both players rotating and covering multiple positions.

I see Newman coming off the bench and getting some minutes at the 2/3 . I'm not sure what to expect. he does have a year of development and learning the system.

and that leaves Ivey and Morton. I believe Painter will give them both minutes in early games to see what they can do. if they excel, he'll continue to give them minutes. if they do not, Sasha and Thompson will reclaim minutes.

and that leaves 5 minutes for Carr and other walk-ons.

This could all change if Painter adds a grad transfer to replace Haarms or Eastern.

I believe the key to Purdue's success is Ivey and Morton. If they can claim starter's minutes, this will be a very deep backcourt. Looking back, Carsen, Eastern, PJ, and Mathias all received significant minutes as freshmen. and these two are rated on the same level, and maybe a little higher, so the talent is definitely there.

and whether he is great or not, because of Haarms' departure, and Dow's lack of improvement, I expect Edey to play. As part of the Canada national team and playing at IMG, he didn't play many minutes, but he did receive good coaching, and played against some decent competition. he was the understudy at IMG to the center who went to Duke. Si he should have learned something. Sure, he's a project, but I believe his floor is higher than most. I have to believe his production should come close to haarms and Haas production as freshmen. I' m not expecting much, other than some minutes, a few boards and maybe some blocks

Hunter 25
Sasha 20
Williams 30
Thompson 20
Wheeler 20
Ivey 20
Gillis 10
Morton 15
Newman 15
Dowouna 10
Edey 10

I believe this is Tre's third year and the offense will depend on him. So he'll log 30 minutes between the 4 and 5.

I believe wheeler will log 20 minutes at the 4, but I'm not expecting tremendous production. just solid play.

that leaves 30 minutes for Dow and Edey and Gillis to back-up Tre and Wheeler. With foul trouble and injuries, I highly doubt Edey will redshirt. And No, I don't consider only playing 5-10 minutes a waste of a season. If he's good, he may start eating up Dow's minutes. Whether he plays or redshirts, his development and practice should be the same. And with Furst and another big man possibly coming next year, Edey might as well play this year to see what he can do. ad who knows? Tre might take a giant step and leave for the pros after three years.

I believe Hunter will start and maybe play some 3. because of our quality depth at guard, I believe his minutes will be lower than some expect.

I envision both Sasha and Thompson coming off the bench in a multiple but very significant 6th man role. I see both players rotating and covering multiple positions.

I see Newman coming off the bench and getting some minutes at the 2/3 . I'm not sure what to expect. he does have a year of development and learning the system.

and that leaves Ivey and Morton. I believe Painter will give them both minutes in early games to see what they can do. if they excel, he'll continue to give them minutes. if they do not, Sasha and Thompson will reclaim minutes.

and that leaves 5 minutes for Carr and other walk-ons.

This could all change if Painter adds a grad transfer to replace Haarms or Eastern.

I believe the key to Purdue's success is Ivey and Morton. If they can claim starter's minutes, this will be a very deep backcourt. Looking back, Carsen, Eastern, PJ, and Mathias all received significant minutes as freshmen. and these two are rated on the same level, and maybe a little higher, so the talent is definitely there.

and whether he is great or not, because of Haarms' departure, and Dow's lack of improvement, I expect Edey to play. As part of the Canada national team and playing at IMG, he didn't play many minutes, but he did receive good coaching, and played against some decent competition. he was the understudy at IMG to the center who went to Duke. Si he should have learned something. Sure, he's a project, but I believe his floor is higher than most. I have to believe his production should come close to haarms and Haas production as freshmen. I' m not expecting much, other than some minutes, a few boards and maybe some blocks
Edey has a steep developmental curve just to get on a D1 court. He has only been playing basketball a few years and is used to being a foot taller than everyone else. He also reclassified up from 2021. He is the very definition of a project and will have a lot to learn just to not be a liability on the court. You can't win a game in 10 minutes, but you can lose one. Unless he is an extremely quick learner, Purdue will be better off going small for short stretches and just swarm the post. Many teams do this as good big men at this level are often hard to find and the modern game is geared toward guys with quickness anyway.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT