ADVERTISEMENT

2019 Football Stats

ehuffma1

All-American
Gold Member
Mar 25, 2019
Feel free to add information here. I was bored and just looked at team stats from last year. Here were a few takeaways:

1. We were in the top 5 in the Big10 in passing.
- we really lit people up with Sindelar. We had 2 backups (including a walk-on) that really wasn’t ready at QB. We lost Moore early. All that being said, this stat seems promising.
2. Bottom of the barrel in rushing. 999 yards. Disappointing. Needs to be the top priority on offense. Nowhere to go but up. Good news: OL looks to have more depth as does RB room.
3. Bottom of the barrel I’m defense. Too many big plays. Couldn’t close out games. Couldn’t get to the QB. Missed assignments. Glad we made a change even though Holt was cool.

Thoughts?

Regarding passing. I can't imagine there was another team that boasted 3 QBs with at least one 400-yard game. Brian Brohm probably doesn't get enough credit.

Reactions: purduepat1969
Feel free to add information here. I was bored and just looked at team stats from last year. Here were a few takeaways:

- we really lit people up with Sindelar. We had 2 backups (including a walk-on) that really wasn’t ready at QB. We lost Moore early. All that being said, this stat seems promising.
2. Bottom of the barrel in rushing. 999 yards. Disappointing. Needs to be the top priority on offense. Nowhere to go but up. Good news: OL looks to have more depth as does RB room.
3. Bottom of the barrel I’m defense. Too many big plays. Couldn’t close out games. Couldn’t get to the QB. Missed assignments. Glad we made a change even though Holt was cool.

Thoughts?

1) Passing should improve. Adding Carr and getting Moore back seems like a no brainer here. Anderson also really impressed me last year. Some of the individual numbers may be down, but depending on what they get from the QB and OL, could be the best passing team in the Big. The potential of a shortened season worries me because of how slow Purdue has started recently, but players like Bell and Moore really ease that pain. If teams double Moore, I look for more creative ways to get him the ball and more deep passes to Bell and Carr one on one.

2) Running should improve. King was pretty dang good for a true freshman, and towards the end of the year, the offensive line got better. The offensive line should continue to improve. King seems like the kind of the guy that will put in the work on his own even through all of this stay home stuff. Murphey and Hewitt could both get a chance to shine as well.

3) Defense will be interesting. There were so many injuries that set the team back. Major was never really 100%, lost Bailey early, no Neal, and lost Graham. They get Neal and Graham back this year. Purdue also is bringing in Howard and Mitchell from Juco and added some DB depth in the grad transfer market. I expect some of the other ‘19 class members not named Allen, Karlaftis, Graham to step up as well.

Thoughts?

1. The team has all of the weapons any quarterback could ask for, with the possible exception of offensive line. With the experience level and hopefully depth without major injuries, this should be the best offense talent wise Brohm has had to date. I'd be disappointed if the stats and wins don't show that.
2. See #1.
3. I'm not disappointed to see Holt go. He got too much credit for the 2017 defense and not enough blame for 2018 and 2019. I give him a bit of a break on 2019 due to the injuries. But his scheme was terrible and he wasn't able to adjust to what offenses were showing him. For the life of me I can never get over how he had the defensive backs playing off the receivers by 7 to 10 yards on 3rd down and short, and still couldn't stop the big plays.

We are loaded at WR. We have the best group of WRs that we probably have ever had.

Whoever the QB is, I think we will be fine at this position. At least we have experienced backups now too, if someone were to get hurt. Let's hope we can go with one QB this year. It has been a while, since we have been able to have one QB for the whole season, Elliott?

We just have to have the OL to do their part this year. I think Hartwig will definitely help that group, and it is more experienced than what we have had lately, even if it is still a work in progress. If the OL can do their part, we could finally have a vertical game that Brohm has wanted to have since he joined us.

The pieces are there to have Basketball on Grass 2.0.

Reactions: purduepat1969
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT