ADVERTISEMENT

2019 class

StickPurdue

Junior
Sep 17, 2016
Indianapolis
If appears that after the rapid fire commits, the recruitment train has slowed down. I am sure CJB and staff are still constantly recruiting the remaining high priority targets and probably watching to see if anybody blows up their senior year. I imagine there will be a break on commitments until the fall, when a lot of the top guys said they would commit. I don't think we will see any surprise recruits join up and I don't see CJB reaching for anybody because of how solid and well rounded the class is already. CJB can be patient now and hold out for the top targets. That is such a good feeling. Last year had a massive influx in June with a lot decomitting. I don't see that happening this year. (Flips could shake things up, but I don't see any of those happening until the season starts up).

Biggest need unfilled? Probably Linebacker or DT. To be honest, CJB has done such a good job at recruiting, he has guys already committed that can play those positions.

Biggest want? A few more playmakers. Whether it is at the WR/RB position or a pass rusher, you can never have too many game changers. Purdue currently has 3 players listed at DE but my favorite remaining target is JJ Weaver. He dominated at the camp and their is some great video of him blowing up in 1on1 drills using speed and power moves. I truly believe Weaver is a high first round draft pick and a must get. That dude can flat out play! Wandale showed out, again, but as a WR. Bell didn't get a chance to show out this weekend because of a minor injury, unfortunately. I would also like to see Cam Williams or Zimos commit as well. They have ready made size and athleticism to play linebacker right away and the experience.

Who may come as a surprise? Holstege and Monnot. Both are at the bottom of class as far as ranking. Holstege was commited to Miami (OH) and he decomitted. Indiana and MSU were looking at Holstege hard and he showed well at camps. I remember tweeting out saying he should get an offer and two weeks later he committed. I was pleasantly surprised. Monnot had offers from Syracuse and Illinois. He has the size and speed CJB likes. Both will shine in this system.

So... who's next? I wiuld be surprised if any commit over the next two months. I think our best chance is with Weaver, Zimos, Robinson, Gibson, Graham, and Bell. The other top targets are more outside chances in my guesstimation. If CJB lands 4 or more of the above mentioned players, hype train would be off the chain. It wouldn't even be able to see the chain. The chain would be a long distant memory.

If appears that after the rapid fire commits, the recruitment train has slowed down. I am sure CJB and staff are still constantly recruiting the remaining high priority targets and probably watching to see if anybody blows up their senior year. I imagine there will be a break on commitments until the fall, when a lot of the top guys said they would commit. I don't think we will see any surprise recruits join up and I don't see CJB reaching for anybody because of how solid and well rounded the class is already. CJB can be patient now and hold out for the top targets. That is such a good feeling. Last year had a massive influx in June with a lot decomitting. I don't see that happening this year. (Flips could shake things up, but I don't see any of those happening until the season starts up).

Biggest need unfilled? Probably Linebacker or DT. To be honest, CJB has done such a good job at recruiting, he has guys already committed that can play those positions.

Biggest want? A few more playmakers. Whether it is at the WR/RB position or a pass rusher, you can never have too many game changers. Purdue currently has 3 players listed at DE but my favorite remaining target is JJ Weaver. He dominated at the camp and their is some great video of him blowing up in 1on1 drills using speed and power moves. I truly believe Weaver is a high first round draft pick and a must get. That dude can flat out play! Wandale showed out, again, but as a WR. Bell didn't get a chance to show out this weekend because of a minor injury, unfortunately. I would also like to see Cam Williams or Zimos commit as well. They have ready made size and athleticism to play linebacker right away and the experience.

Who may come as a surprise? Holstege and Monnot. Both are at the bottom of class as far as ranking. Holstege was commited to Miami (OH) and he decomitted. Indiana and MSU were looking at Holstege hard and he showed well at camps. I remember tweeting out saying he should get an offer and two weeks later he committed. I was pleasantly surprised. Monnot had offers from Syracuse and Illinois. He has the size and speed CJB likes. Both will shine in this system.

So... who's next? I wiuld be surprised if any commit over the next two months. I think our best chance is with Weaver, Zimos, Robinson, Gibson, Graham, and Bell. The other top targets are more outside chances in my guesstimation. If CJB lands 4 or more of the above mentioned players, hype train would be off the chain. It wouldn't even be able to see the chain. The chain would be a long distant memory.
Thanks...a thoughtful commentary. Norm

Our recruiting will slow down due to it being a dead period right now. Also, we are finalist for several high level recruits, and it sounded like quite a few of them are going to wait to decide in the Fall. That is why a good start to the season is very important to show them we are only a few players away from doing something really big in the near future.

I agree that we need LBs and DTs. Also, another big WR playmaker is important for Brohm's offensive schemes. Did anyone else see Gibson's tweet yesterday? I am shocked that he has not verballed yet to us. Of course, I guess I could say the same thing about Weaver.

Our recruiting will slow down due to it being a dead period right now. Also, we are finalist for several high level recruits, and it sounded like quite a few of them are going to wait to decide in the Fall. That is why a good start to the season is very important to show them we are only a few players away from doing something really big in the near future.

I agree that we need LBs and DTs. Also, another big WR playmaker is important for Brohm's offensive schemes. Did anyone else see Gibson's tweet yesterday? I am shocked that he has not verballed yet to us. Of course, I guess I could say the same thing about Weaver.

I think a few of the players uncommitted will end up at Purdue, they just want to make sure Brohm isn't going anywhere first, so they are waiting. I think Brohm sticks around for 4 or so years in WL then takes whatever job he wants.

I think Gibson is between us and Wisconsin, and we started way behind. I think we have gained a lot of ground because we have been recruiting his family. Mom seems to really love us and our staff. We are clearly all in on him.

Weaver should be releasing a list of his top schools sometime. I think Louisville and Purdue are the leaders, but Miami is going to make a move at him. When he visits for a game, it would be awesome if somebody like Avril, Ninkovich, Kerrigan could be there to talk to him. Purdue has a proud history of DE's, and it would be great to add him.

I can't wait to see what Holt and that defensive staff can do with this years defense. If they have a good year, that has to help with the remaining top recruits.

I don’t think everyone committed now will sign. I would not be surprised if Purdue walked away from a couple of the committed guys. It’s the nature of the game now

Reactions: Zaphod_B and SKYDOG
I don’t think everyone committed now will sign. I would not be surprised if Purdue walked away from a couple of the committed guys. It’s the nature of the game now
Definitely some of the lower guys.

I think Gibson is between us and Wisconsin, and we started way behind. I think we have gained a lot of ground because we have been recruiting his family. Mom seems to really love us and our staff. We are clearly all in on him.

Weaver should be releasing a list of his top schools sometime. I think Louisville and Purdue are the leaders, but Miami is going to make a move at him. When he visits for a game, it would be awesome if somebody like Avril, Ninkovich, Kerrigan could be there to talk to him. Purdue has a proud history of DE's, and it would be great to add him.

I can't wait to see what Holt and that defensive staff can do with this years defense. If they have a good year, that has to help with the remaining top recruits.
I agree with this. I believe Gibson and Weaver both end up at Purdue. Those are the only ones I would willingly put money on. As to when they commit I cannot speculate.

Reactions: Zaphod_B
Someone please go ahead and make nice list of the 2019 recruits w 247 link, background, etc. for this thread.

We have info scattered all over the place throughout various threads, but it would be so great to have them all in a single, concise location.

GBI Nation is waiting on you! Godspeed and Good luck!

Reactions: CMPurdue
Someone please go ahead and make nice list of the 2019 recruits w 247 link, background, etc. for this thread.

We have info scattered all over the place throughout various threads, but it would be so great to have them all in a single, concise location.

GBI Nation is waiting on you! Godspeed and Good luck!
Okay, please understand that I've only been paying close attention to the 2019 recruiting since the beginning of June. Particularly when I read that Purdue was having 10 OV's, and 11 unofficial visits, all in one middle weekend of June, it dawned on me that there was no way I would keep everyone straight. So, I took pen in hand, jotted the names down. Sine then, I've added a number of recruits that have visited prior to that time frame. Of course, I've tried to take off anyone who I've heard, mainly through Knucklehead, that they have committed somewhere else. So, this is what I know of, by position:

Wide Receiver
David Bell from Indiana, 6'2", 180#, 4*\5.9
Milton Wright from Louisville, Ky, 6'3", 190#, 4*\5.8
TJ Sheffield from Tennessee, 5'10",165#, 3*\5.7

Running Back
James Sampson from Indiana, 6'1", 205#, 4*\5.8 - committed to OSU 3/19/18

Tight End
Brenton Strange from West Virginia, 6'4", 209#, 3*
Josiah Meamen from Illinois, 6’4”, 225#, 3*\5.5

Athlete
Wandale Robinson from Kentucky, 5'9", 175#, 4*\5.8-- WR and RB

Linebacker
Armoni Dixon from Illinois, 6'3", 218#, 2* -- OLB
Cam Williams from Indiana, 6'3", 205#, 4*\5.8 -- OLB
Zach Zimos from Texas, 6'4", 210#, 4*\5.8 -- OLB

Defensive End
JJ Weaver from Kentucky, 6'6", 220#, 4*\5.8 -- WDE
Keith Randolph from Illinois, 6'5", 240#, 3* -- SDE
Stephen Herron from Kentucky, 6'4", 225#, 4*\5.9 -- WDE- verbal committed Mich. 7/29/17

Defensive Tackle
Isaiah Gibson from Ohio, 6'4", 265#, 3*
Steven Faucheux from Ohio, 6'4", 269#, 4*\5.8

Safety
Jalen Graham from Michigan, 6'2", 195#, 3*\5.6

Folks, I'm sure there's more. That's 16 pretty good ones, with an incredible 9 4*s.

Last edited:
Okay, please understand that I've only been paying close attention to the 2019 recruiting since the beginning of June. Particularly when I read that Purdue was having 10 OV's, and 11 unofficial visits, all in one middle weekend of June, it dawned on me that there was no way I would keep everyone straight. So, I took pen in hand, jotted the names down. Sine then, I've added a number of recruits that have visited prior to that time frame. Of course, I've tried to take off anyone who I've heard, mainly through Knucklehead, that they have committed somewhere else. So, this is what I know of, by position:

Wide Receiver
David Bell from Indiana, 6'2", 180#, 4*\5.9
Milton Wright from Louisville, Ky, 6'3", 190#, 4*\5.8
TJ Sheffield from Tennessee, 5'10",165#, 3*\5.7

Running Back
James Sampson from Indiana, 6'1", 205#, 4*\5.8 - committed to OSU 3/19/18

Tight End
Brenton Strange from West Virginia, 6'4", 209#, 3*

Athlete
Wandale Robinson from Kentucky, 5'9", 175#, 4*\5.8-- WR and RB

Linebacker
Armoni Dixon from Illinois, 6'3", 218#, 2* -- OLB
Cam Williams from Indiana, 6'3", 205#, 4*\5.8 -- OLB
Zach Zimos from Texas, 6'4", 210#, 4*\5.8 -- OLB

Defensive End
JJ Weaver from Kentucky, 6'6", 220#, 4*\5.8 -- WDE
Tony Bradford from Texas, 6'2", 235#, 3* -- WDE or DT
Keith Randolph from Illinois, 6'5", 240#, 3* -- SDE
Stephen Herron from Kentucky, 6'4", 225#, 4*\5.9 -- WDE- verbal committed Mich. 7/29/17

Defensive Tackle
Isaiah Gibson from Ohio, 6'4", 265#, 3*
Steven Faucheux from Ohio, 6'4", 269#, 4*\5.8

Safety
Jalen Graham from Michigan, 6'2", 195#, 3*\5.6

Cornerback
Miles Williams from Texas, 6'1", 170#, 3*\5.7 -- or Safety

Folks, I'm sure there's more. That's 17 pretty good ones, with an incredible 9 4*s.

Can add TE Josiah Miamen from Illinois to your list as well.

Reactions: ChuckJr

I think I could pick 2 or 3 guys who will be on that list

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT