ADVERTISEMENT

2017 class better than think

OK, but you in
Don't get so defensive, what I was getting at was that we need to set our goals higher like the Final 4 not just reaching the NCAA tournament every year. It just seems like a lot of Purdue fans are satisfied with reaching the Sweet 16 every once in a while. This should apply to life as well.

See my reply above. Our goal shouldn't be the Sweet 16. For those of us who think that the Final 4 should be our goal each year just have different expectations. This doesn't make us negative or bad fans. How else can we improve without setting our goals higher.

One sure way to stop IU trolls from coming over here is by finally reaching the Final 4/NC. To do that CMP got to improve on recruiting...
OK, but you insinuate that Painter doesn't demand greatness - that's the point I debate. I assure you that it is demanded every day - in one way or another. Do you honestly think his goals are not high? Oh, wait, you're referring to fans. OK ...

Reactions: BBG and Dakota Girl
I would give him about a 8 for coaching but recruiting would be a 3
I'm going to agree to a point, his recruiting is obviously not a 3/10. Purdue does good recruiting, not elite. Getting players like the mothers in this thread is proof of it. Without pulling strings and outright CHEATING. Nobody is going to start recruiting at an elite level at Purdue until they start winning first.

Now the question is how do you want Purdue to get there? The right way or the other way? I hope your answer is the right way. Ketucky, North Carolina and so on can recruit already and still cheat. I can't stand it, and with all those cheaters out there you're sitting here wondering why Matt can't recruit elite?

Reactions: samcboiler
I'm not saying painter does not demand greatness. And I'm not knocking painters coaching ability I gave him eight on that. Biggest problem I got with Matt Painter is recruiting this state that we live in. I think he does a poor job at it at least the top notch kids in this state. Do we get good kids from this state yes we do I'm happy with the ones that's on our team now. If he can somehow find a way to get a couple of these top-notch kids to go with those other kids that's how we're going to get to a final four. In my opinion he has to find somebody that's in good with all these High School coaches in Indiana just like IU did. And I know I'm going to be called an IU troll when I say this they will start recruiting the state of Indiana like no other . If painter can somehow get somebody on the bench like IU just did that's in good with all these high schools we could do the same thing that IU is about to do with the state in recruiting. I would love to see Purdue and IU shut the state down in recruiting.

Most of the time I'm talking on here I'm talking through the phone as I'm doing something else that's why sometimes there's no punctuation marks

So says someone with 25K posts but didn't know we had a 30-second shot clock last year.

Not sure what any of that, even the part that is true, matters but let it be noted how impressed we all are with your anonymous, internet ego and your high standards FOR OTHERS. Like I said, no doubt you are a Fortune 500 CEO because someone with your standards would never settle for less.

I don't get this bored now everything I said above was positive. Now I talk positive and you still attack me I don't get it. I said painter was a good coach he just needs a higher somebody that is in good with all the Indiana High School coaches what's wrong with that.

I did my google research. and I'm not doing it again. I was banned/suspended by the Purdue grid iron forum a couple of years ago for being negative about our football recruits and being negative about coaches hope and Hazell. Ask D Stewart, who posts on the women's basketball board if you don't believe me. He used to post there. My posting status was returned when my negativity was proven accurate in that our recruits were bad, as well as our coaching staff.

at that time I was called overly critical. I asked the same question . Show me one example where a Purdue recruit said that a negative post on that board was the deciding factor of him not selecting Purdue. I looked very long and hard and found NONE. others looked and couldn't find any either.

The truth is.... a recruit is never going to post he was turned off of a school because of a certain forum's poster(s). he may tweet to his friend, but he isn't going to post it publically. You can't prove I'm right or wrong. Al l you can find is national articles that talk about forums impacting recruits. But the level of that impact is unknown. We all said positive things about our latest recruit, but he chose Princeton instead. Our posts made ZERO impact on his decision. I doubt LaVar Ball or his sons even opened our forum . I believe you give too much credit to the power of your posts. I highly doubt any post made by us or by anybody on the UW board affected Hauser's decision either.

I challenge you to re-read the initial post in this thread. it's made by a mom of a player who SIGNED with Purdue. Yes, she indicated there were some negative posters on this board, but she didn't point them out. Maybe she was pointing at those of you who keep badmouthing boilerman1973 and calling him names and a troll.. is it possible she was talking about YOU ? And my point is simply, despite all your fears of negative posting, he SIGNED ! I will repeat - Her son SIGNED with Purdue. And if you read your other posts, you loved all the players that signed of the 2017 class. So, it's my belief that all this talk that negative posting on forums scares off recruits is a bunch of BS ! You can't site even one specific example. and you want me to do your research work for you.. the reality is, I already did your research for you! the answer is ZERO ! You just don't like that answer.

the next time you see JJJ, or Anderson, just ask him, tell me the truth ...... was it Wolegib's negative posting that made you choose IU and MSU ??? at this stage of the game, I'm crazy and bold enough to ask them both myself. Maybe I'll ask them who their favorite poster is as well. What was the post that broke the camel's back and turned them away? and what if their reply is that their favorite poster is boilerman1973? and they never read this forum, they only read hammer and rails posts?

I don't get this bored now everything I said above was positive. Now I talk positive and you still attack me I don't get it. I said painter was a good coach he just needs a higher somebody that is in good with all the Indiana High School coaches what's wrong with that.

I like your posts. but then again, I'm not sure you want my endorsement.

Reactions: samcboiler
You was probably that little nerdy kid in school to didn't play any kind of sport. So now you come here act like you know everything. I won't burn your fries I just pee in the pickles hope you like extra pickles.

I did my google research. and I'm not doing it again. I was banned/suspended by the Purdue grid iron forum a couple of years ago for being negative about our football recruits and being negative about coaches hope and Hazell.
Well, then your googling skills suck. You need to have someone help you with it because it's all over the place.

And let's look at another part of your comment, you were banned already once for being negative yet you still keep going with that same rhetoric even when faced with a mountain of evidence, let alone the very thread you are posting in, showing just how wrong you are.

You, nag and 'fans' like you are the problem with the program. You're the people in the lower bowl at games sitting there barely clapping or standing for the team and complaining that the students are too loud.

The truth is.... a recruit is never going to post he was turned off of a school because of a certain forum's poster(s). he may tweet to his friend, but he isn't going to post it publically. You can't prove I'm right or wrong.

I'm not taking one side or another, but I posted a few years ago about these boards being negative and possibly impacting recruiting. We may not have lost a recruit because of message boards, but it has happened. Google the name Vander Blue. He was a Wisconsin commit that de-committed and committed to Marquette because of the UW message boards.

https://www.tarheelblog.com/2009/05/wisconsin-recruit-decommits-because-of-message-boards

Also, when I was at Purdue, a player by the name of Garret Bushong (sp?) thought athletes ran the school and fans need to stop the criticism. Granted, he was already signed with us, but it shows players also pay attention to what is out there.

Again, I'm not taking one side or another, but just wanted to throw my two cents in.

I did my google research. and I'm not doing it again. I was banned/suspended by the Purdue grid iron forum a couple of years ago for being negative about our football recruits and being negative about coaches hope and Hazell. Ask D Stewart, who posts on the women's basketball board if you don't believe me. He used to post there. My posting status was returned when my negativity was proven accurate in that our recruits were bad, as well as our coaching staff.

at that time I was called overly critical. I asked the same question . Show me one example where a Purdue recruit said that a negative post on that board was the deciding factor of him not selecting Purdue. I looked very long and hard and found NONE. others looked and couldn't find any either.

The truth is.... a recruit is never going to post he was turned off of a school because of a certain forum's poster(s). he may tweet to his friend, but he isn't going to post it publically. You can't prove I'm right or wrong. Al l you can find is national articles that talk about forums impacting recruits. But the level of that impact is unknown. We all said positive things about our latest recruit, but he chose Princeton instead. Our posts made ZERO impact on his decision. I doubt LaVar Ball or his sons even opened our forum . I believe you give too much credit to the power of your posts. I highly doubt any post made by us or by anybody on the UW board affected Hauser's decision either.

I challenge you to re-read the initial post in this thread. it's made by a mom of a player who SIGNED with Purdue. Yes, she indicated there were some negative posters on this board, but she didn't point them out. Maybe she was pointing at those of you who keep badmouthing boilerman1973 and calling him names and a troll.. is it possible she was talking about YOU ? And my point is simply, despite all your fears of negative posting, he SIGNED ! I will repeat - Her son SIGNED with Purdue. And if you read your other posts, you loved all the players that signed of the 2017 class. So, it's my belief that all this talk that negative posting on forums scares off recruits is a bunch of BS ! You can't site even one specific example. and you want me to do your research work for you.. the reality is, I already did your research for you! the answer is ZERO ! You just don't like that answer.

the next time you see JJJ, or Anderson, just ask him, tell me the truth ...... was it Wolegib's negative posting that made you choose IU and MSU ??? at this stage of the game, I'm crazy and bold enough to ask them both myself. Maybe I'll ask them who their favorite poster is as well. What was the post that broke the camel's back and turned them away? and what if their reply is that their favorite poster is boilerman1973? and they never read this forum, they only read hammer and rails posts?
I know none of this is directed towards me, but it would help if you and boilerman1973 quoted the post you reference. It helps others understand with more clarity what is typed. FWIW, I think the mother of the ball player referenced "found" this site recently...after committing to Purdue.

Looks like our friend Indy-Ryder got taken out back and tossed on the scrap heap. Well disserved fate for the D-bag. Just because a kid plays sports nobody has the right or privileged of insulting them or their family. I do not accept the premise that they are "public figures" and therefore open to vile criticism.

I did? No, more likely busy with work. That and don't give a shit, just scanning this thread for comic relief.

I'm not saying painter does not demand greatness. And I'm not knocking painters coaching ability I gave him eight on that. Biggest problem I got with Matt Painter is recruiting this state that we live in. I think he does a poor job at it at least the top notch kids in this state. Do we get good kids from this state yes we do I'm happy with the ones that's on our team now. If he can somehow find a way to get a couple of these top-notch kids to go with those other kids that's how we're going to get to a final four. In my opinion he has to find somebody that's in good with all these High School coaches in Indiana just like IU did. And I know I'm going to be called an IU troll when I say this they will start recruiting the state of Indiana like no other . If painter can somehow get somebody on the bench like IU just did that's in good with all these high schools we could do the same thing that IU is about to do with the state in recruiting. I would love to see Purdue and IU shut the state down in recruiting.
'73...if you would posted like this from the start with clear reasoned explanation of your position you would not have taken so much crap.
I doubt either side of the "like Matt / doesn't like Matt" debate will take issue with this statement.
My only question, and I have seen others ask it, is who is out there to achieve the level of recruiting you describe, which, if I remember correctly we have NEVER achieved. I also note from your post that you believe Painter does not have to go to get that level. You want an Ed Shilling sitting next to him.
Am I on target?

So been tracking this post for some time and just want to interject my 3¢.

I do have some questions related to the validity of the OP. My main reason is the Free Board isn't that easy to find. I stumbled across it a few years ago because someone tweeted a link to the board. I always thought you had to pay until I figured it out.

This board isn't exactly like Hammer and Rails and which is far easier to find. It is also much easier to join and write a post.

Not saying I don't believe this person is who they claim to be but just taking it with a bit of scpeticisim.

Also love the Wolegib has officially become the old man yelling at clouds.

old.jpg

Reactions: Dakota Girl
At this moment I don't know who that would be to sit next to painter to help out with recruiting but he's out there just got to find him. I probably would start with the better-known High School coaches here in Indiana look there first. I'm just saying in my humble opinion we have to start getting some of these Elite kids in Indiana and stop missing on all of them. We have to get a mixture of kids from Indiana good ones and Elite ones and that's how we get to a final four.

Reactions: Dakota Girl
At this moment I don't know who that would be to sit next to painter to help out with recruiting but he's out there just got to find him. I probably would start with the better-known High School coaches here in Indiana look there first. I'm just saying in my humble opinion we have to start getting some of these Elite kids in Indiana and stop missing on all of them. We have to get a mixture of kids from Indiana good ones and Elite ones and that's how we get to a final four.

Gene tried to do that in when he came to Purdue with Paul Curtis ( former president of the Indiana Basketball Coaches Association)...and then Paul got charged with shoplifting and relieved the next day of his coaching duties. This is not to say that Ed was not a good hire (I remember him and his father playing basektball), but to only state that Purdue has tried to do exactly what you suggest before. Gene also hired Dave Woods from West Lafayette...neither with the amount of coaching background Ed jr. has.

https://www.newspapers.com/newspage/110547315/

Gene tried to do that in when he came to Purdue with Paul Curtis ( former president of the Indiana Basketball Coaches Association)...and then Paul got charged with shoplifting and relieved the next day of his coaching duties. This is not to say that Ed was not a good hire (I remember him and his father playing basektball), but to only state that Purdue has tried to do exactly what you suggest before. Gene also hired Dave Woods from West Lafayette...neither with the amount of coaching background Ed jr. has.

https://www.newspapers.com/newspage/110547315/
Ed has the coaching with Calipari on a #1 ranked team, the coaching in the NBA against Jordan, the ties with the Alfords and UCLA, at the Champion's Acad he prepared several players who went high in the draft (Sullinger, Conley), Yogi at Park Tudor, Quite a mix for a guy sitting across a dining room table.

Reactions: nagemj02
Ed has the coaching with Calipari on a #1 ranked team, the coaching in the NBA against Jordan, the ties with the Alfords and UCLA, at the Champion's Acad he prepared several players who went high in the draft (Sullinger, Conley), Yogi at Park Tudor, Quite a mix for a guy sitting across a dining room table.

I watched his dad..a barrel chested player around 6'7" if I remember correctly for Butler (mid 60s) and then junior at Lebanon during the Frankfort Regional (early to mid 80s I think)...thinking he fouled out that game.

Good idea! I think Wally Cleaver would be an excellent choice, as he led the Mayfield Bulldogs in scoring his junior and senior year and was the team captain his last season.

Of course, the best reason Wally would be the prime candidate:

the IU coach is his little brother!

giphy.gif

Reactions: BoiledSteel
You can make fun of the post all you want. But what I said is exactly what Purdue needs to do what's your idea of making recruiting better?

I agree. I don't know how to do it either. Even without a top 50 guy in every class I still love our teams and I like the way they play. Remember under Clappy IU had a 5 star or two at all times but knowledgeable Hoosier fans hated watching them play. I don't want that here.

You read it from first. The 2017 class will be as good as the 2014 class. Wheeler, Easter, Sasha and Ewing are going to be the core of the team for the next 3 years. Just like Mathias, PJ, VE, etc.

Last edited:
You read it from first. The 2017 class will be as good as the 2014 class. Wheeler, Easter, Sasha and ewin
G are going to be the core of the team for the next 3 years. Just like Mathias, PJ, VE, etc.
Agreed. Also, we only have Ewing for 2 years - unless I missed something

Your posts of late have been more reasoned and less emotional. They have also made more sense. Keep it up and people will forget about the earlier over the top posts.
Ya, we will forget 1973 is a total troll (and not a good one) for a little bit but old dog don't forget their tricks.

I agree. I don't know how to do it either. Even without a top 50 guy in every class I still love our teams and I like the way they play. Remember under Clappy IU had a 5 star or two at all times but knowledgeable Hoosier fans hated watching them play. I don't want that here.
I agree with the premise that PU should always be striving towards "getting the most out of their talent" and I think CMP does a decent job at exactly that. But I'm not sure how the comparison of Crean at IU (and his inability to cash in with his 5*s) fits with us and CMP. In my experience, PU does quite well when they have ample top-50 or 5* players on the roster. It's when PU lacks such firepower is when the results trend towards the modest. Be it the Baby Boilers, Biggie, Big Dog, Mount, the '88 squad, Carroll/Edmonson...when Purdue recruited those difference makers, the results were special. I'd argue that Purdue, historically speaking, has one of the strongest correlations between strong "on paper" recruiting and subsequent team performance. We don't have lots of cases like "the Movement", Pat Kennedys DePaul classes, Philipe Lopez/Zedon Hamilton, etc...

I worry at times when our "on paper" recruiting results begin to not match some of the cited examples (Baby Boilers, etc.. ) we regress to a binary false alternative. "Would you rather have top-50/5*s lineups that are selfish and don't play team basketball, or would you like a roster of mostly 3*s and occasional low 4*s who play unselfishly and The Purdue Way"? That biased construction would seem to imply PU's basketball history demonstrates better success with "lesser recruits", which as we have seen, is not the case.

If I misread your intentions in your post, then my apologies. But I do wonder why when we face the potential shut-outs for top-50s, we seem to hear more about the 5-star underperformance/3-star over performance dynamic.

Last edited:
I agree with the premise that PU should always be striving towards "getting the most out of their talent" and I think CMP does a decent job at exactly that. But I'm not sure how the comparison of Crean at IU (and his inability to cash in with his 5*s) fits with us and CMP. In my experience, PU does quite well when they have ample top-50 or 5* players on the roster. It's when PU lacks such firepower is when the results trend towards the modest. Be it the Baby Boilers, Biggie, Big Dog, Mount, the '88 squad, Carroll/Edmonson...when Purdue recruited those difference makers, the results were special. I'd argue that Purdue, historically speaking, has one of the strongest correlations between strong "on paper" recruiting and subsequent team performance. We don't have lots of cases like "the Movement", Pat Kennedys DePaul classes, Philipe Lopez/Zedon Hamilton, etc...

I worry at times when our "on paper" recruiting results begin to not match some of the cited examples (Baby Boilers, etc.. ) we regress to a binary false alternative. "Would you rather have top-50/5*s lineups that are selfish and don't play team basketball, or would you like a roster of mostly 3*s and occasional low 4*s who play unselfishly and The Purdue Way"? That biased construction would seem to imply PU's basketball history demonstrates better success with "lesser recruits", which as we have seen, is not the case.

If I misread your intentions in your post, then my apologies. But I do wonder why when we face the potential shut-outs for top-50s, we seem to hear more about the 5-star underperformance/3-star over performance dynamic.
First off, no apologies are necessary. I see where you got that message but that's not what I was attempting to say. That's far deeper than I was attempting to be:D. All I was shooting for was that I would rather watch teams with a little less talent play the game very well than watch a team with more talent play selfish offense and lazy defense. Not trying to say that 3 stars are better than 5 stars.
Ideally I would like Purdue to have 5 star talent and play the best team basketball that can be played. As far as Purdue history with the rare 5 stars they have had I also agree. Those teams have been much better than the rest of our history. Of course I would also say that those particular players have played within our culture and system quite well with the most recent example being Biggie. I think that is because Purdue has usually recruited high character players, regardless of how many stars they had, and I think that our basketball coaches have demanded and taught a high standard of play.
Hopefully my thoughts are better stated now:).

Reactions: tjreese and BBG
ADVERTISEMENT