ADVERTISEMENT

2017 class better than think

Very well said...

All of us have different expectations in life and for Purdue basketball. Some of us are satisfied going thru life making $60-$100K/yr, but some of us expect and demand more. I've have learned that you will never achieve it if you don't demands it in life and as well as for Purdue basketball. Go Boilers.
Maybe you should demand a little more class from yourself. I guarantee that most highly successful Purdue grads on this board would never brag about how much money they make. And to equate your "demands" for your income to the "demands" you put on a college basketball team just proves your lack of perspective.

You're funny telling somebody to preach you Matt Painter supporters preach every year that's all you guys do is preach but we get the same results year in and year out so go ahead and preach like deja vu all over again
As bugs would say, "what a maroon".

Painter is I believe 7-2 in the first round
3 Sweet 16 appearances
2 BiG titles
1BigTourney title
I think he is doing a great job
Your negatively is sweeping all that under the rug

Not sure who you are replying to but...I don't think was negative any in way. I like Painter, and I think he doing a pretty good job. Again my standard of greatest is obviously different than yours, as to me a great coach get us to the Final 4 & NC. He's not there...

Reactions: nagemj02
Not sure who you are replying to but...I don't think was negative any in way. I like Painter, and I think he doing a pretty good job. Again my standard of greatest is obviously different than yours, as to me a great coach get us to the Final 4 & NC. He's not there...
Mark Few, Tony Bennet, Sean Miller, Bo Ryan, John Beilein, Fred Hoiberg, Scott Drew??????

You are right about one thing and that is that this is the internet. This gives you the right to get out on that ledge as often as you like, but at least in this particular instance you must feel all alone. The fact that you missed the point of the very lengthy original post is really amazing. The very negative crap posted about our coaches and our players paints a horrible picture of Purdue fans and it does take its toll at times. As Purdue fans we should be supporting all of our players and recruits. Sure you have every right to question if the post in question was actually made by a players parent, but the fact you read the post and questioned it tells a whole lot about who you are. Negative and paranoid are two words that come to mind when reading your post questioning the validity of the players parent.

No, I understand it. I just think that many posters here are either very sensitive and overreact to criticisms or are very fixed in their views of the program and intolerant of others' opinions, especially if the opinions or suggestions seem to be "outside the box". Then, some of those same people make it their personal crusade to say that they're "true" Purdue fans and that others shouldn't pay attention to "negative posters". The truth is not that black-and-white, no matter how much some people (hint hint) want it to be.

Last edited:
I still believe in my statement about boards like this having very little effect on a recruit's decision to attend a school or not. Yes, a recruit may read posts, but he's more likely to read tweets rather than forums like this. I may be old, but I have a division 1 athlete as a son. And he Never mentioned about posts on forums like this. He stopped posting and reading Facebook because it was no longer cool. He uses a lot of other means to communicate to his current friends.

I have also never read any recruit state that the posts on this board or any Purdue affected his decision to attend this school or were factors in his decision to leave/transfer.

I have seen a lot of twitter posts that seem. To have a lot more influence than posts made on this board. And I have to believe I highly doubt a player thinking about going to Duke or U.K.will look at their forums as a factor in their decision. I saw zero evidence that Anderson used a post from this board to make his decision.

I will grant players may drop by and the read the posts made here. But if they do, they are probably also reading other internet media sources. The Indy Star probably has just as much influence on a recruit as any post made on this board. I say this because the vast majority of posts both positive and negative made here are made referencing other media articles/information.

I believe if you think our posts are that influential on a recruit, you are degrading the intelligence of that recruit by thinking your post actually has that much power. As for moderation and making this a pay site for insiders only, that site already exists.

I believe the best way to dispel this myth or prove it true is to not ask a poster, but rather the recruit himself. And don't ask him why he chose one school over another. Ask him if posts made here actually made a difference. Ask JJJ if any posts here made a difference in his decision. Ask Harris if a post here changed his mind. Ask Stephens if we were the reason he left? Did my criticism of Johnson's FT% make him upset enough to leave?

This is one of those times I respectfully disagree. If you have any proof that posts made on this board affected a player's decision. I'd like to see them. I don't want to see some generic post about internet bullying. I don't want to see a tweet. I don't want to see a Facebook post. I don't want to see posts made on some other school's forum. I want to see an actual reference by an actual player who references a post made here. Thank you.

My point is not about wether or not I am insulted. It is that others may be. If just one parent of a recruit Purdue is attempting to land comes on and reads statements like that, THEY might be offended. They likely would never say a word. They may not read another post. They may just form a poor opinion of Purdue. Purdue IS its students and Alumni.
I just ask that we all think about about what we have written before we hit send. I have no issue with the posters who feel the NC is the most important thing to achieve. I want Purdue to win it too. But don't write messages that could keep it from happening. No matter how low the odds are. It is possible.
That one offended person might be that big time recruit you value so much. What if our visiting mother had seen all this before her sons commitment. That might have swayed a rather highly rated player away from Purdue.

Excellent point, along with poster BoiledSteel's earlier statements.

As you say, it only takes one comment. The best way to eliminate that chance is to have moderators and censorship as soon as possible. If not, going to a pay board only approach like other team sites would ensure the elimination of these negative keyboard coaches.

If we landed Caleb and Nojel with this board being the way it is, can you imagine who else we may have been able to attract and sign?

Reactions: BoiledSteel
I still believe in my statement about boards like this having very little effect on a recruit's decision to attend a school or not.
This thread alone shows your statement is incorrect let alone quick google searches show that recruits make mention of forum posts from all over the country.

You actually are a prime example of what holds our program back. You admit that you are old and your posts indicate that you are exceptionally out of touch with all of this and like nag, shouldn't be taken seriously on these sort of topics because you are both out of your depth.

I'm still young enough to know how how much an impact social media is because I use it every day to chat with my friends. You are right that this doesn't revolve around Facebook, but to discount forum posts just shows how out of it you are and until you grasp it, you and fans that think like you hold the program back. Just go google things, it's pretty simple, or have your son do it for you.

Reactions: mathboy and BBG
No, I understand it. I just think that many posters here are either very sensitive and overreact to criticisms or are very fixed in their views of the program and intolerant of others' opinion
Hello pot, meet kettle. I mean seriously, how can you possible post that with a straight face and not see the huge amount of irony of that coming from you?

And no, it's pretty clear, you don't understand it.

This thread alone shows your statement is incorrect let alone quick google searches show that recruits make mention of forum posts from all over the country.

You actually are a prime example of what holds our program back. You admit that you are old and your posts indicate that you are exceptionally out of touch with all of this and like nag, shouldn't be taken seriously on these sort of topics because you are both out of your depth.

I'm still young enough to know how how much an impact social media is because I use it every day to chat with my friends. You are right that this doesn't revolve around Facebook, but to discount forum posts just shows how out of it you are and until you grasp it, you and fans that think like you hold the program back. Just go google things, it's pretty simple, or have your son do it for you.
Am I the only one that saw the twitter feed with a link to this board/ topic? I am sure others saw it as well. To make the point even people that never intended of coming on here to see what was being said had direct access. I see H&R getting picked up by Yahoo all the time. When you look at what was written all of the comments are there as well.

Haven't you learned your lesson don't ever get on here just saying anything negative about Matt Painter or this basketball team. Which most of us who are against painter has no problem with the players we just don't think he can get us where we would like to go. But obviously I'm an IU troll because I want to see Purdue win it all. I'm starting to realize the people that down other people for not liking painter as our coach you guys must be the IU trolls cuz you don't want to see Purdue win a title. You are doing the same thing I would do as a Purdue fan on the IU board. I would go over there and tell everybody how great Tom crean is and would call any body who thought different a Purdue troll. Just cuz I don't like Matt Painter as our coach doesn't mean I don't think he's a great person I just don't think he's the coach for Purdue sorry. That is my opinion that's what free boards are all about giving your own opinion.

That's what I don't get about this boards if I was a IU troll I would be over here telling everybody how great Matt Painter is and how great of a coach he is. Because I guarantee you there's not an IU fan out there that wants Matt Painter to leave Purdue. I know that for fact three of my brothers are IU fans and they love that Matt Painter is going nowhere.

Haven't you learned your lesson don't ever get on here just saying anything negative about Matt Painter or this basketball team. Which most of us who are against painter has no problem with the players we just don't think he can get us where we would like to go. But obviously I'm an IU troll because I want to see Purdue win it all. I'm starting to realize the people that down other people for not liking painter as our coach you guys must be the IU trolls cuz you don't want to see Purdue win a title. You are doing the same thing I would do as a Purdue fan on the IU board. I would go over there and tell everybody how great Tom crean is and would call any body who thought different a Purdue troll. Just cuz I don't like Matt Painter as our coach doesn't mean I don't think he's a great person I just don't think he's the coach for Purdue sorry. That is my opinion that's what free boards are all about giving your own opinion.
Ok, give us the list of coaches that you would rather have. Also give an explanation as to why you think they would be better than Painter.

The heck with all of you whiny posters. When are we gonna start playing zone exclusively?

Reactions: BBG
That's what I don't get about this boards if I was a IU troll I would be over here telling everybody how great Matt Painter is and how great of a coach he is. Because I guarantee you there's not an IU fan out there that wants Matt Painter to leave Purdue. I know that for fact three of my brothers are IU fans and they love that Matt Painter is going nowhere.
Perhaps you think you're the first person to put Boiler something in their name and pretend to "be more demanding of yourself than the rest of us"?

That's what I love about IU fans, not very creative.

I'm not saying Matt Painter is a bad coach I just think he needs to be coaching at a school that sells itself and he don't have to do it. He's not bad at getting pieces he's just bad at getting them all at the same time. If he is coaching at a school that sold itself he would get all the pieces at the right time. He's just a bad coach for Purdue to win a National Championship because he's just an average salesman. Good coach average salesman.

I'm not saying Matt Painter is a bad coach I just think he needs to be coaching at a school that sells itself and he don't have to do it. He's not bad at getting pieces he's just bad at getting them all at the same time. If he is coaching at a school that sold itself he would get all the pieces at the right time. He's just a bad coach for Purdue to win a National Championship because he's just an average salesman. Good coach average salesman.
Now that is a lot of contradiction in one post. Might want to regroup a d try again.

How do you get that I'm saying he's a good coach just not a good salesman. There's no doubt my mind he can win a National Championship if he had all the pieces but unfortunately he cannot do that at Purdue. It's definitely a hard school to sell to the kids in the top 75.

How do you get that I'm saying he's a good coach just not a good salesman. There's no doubt my mind he can win a National Championship if he had all the pieces but unfortunately he cannot do that at Purdue. It's definitely a hard school to sell to the kids in the top 75.
Noilermaker1973, Let me be clear here. I am tired of your whining and snide complaints. You post like a child, and fail to add the least bit of logic or reasoning in your pronouncements. For example: "It's definitely a hard school to sell to the kids in the top 75". Why do you say this? You look past the point that we have had many top 75 kids play here.

Since you have started posting here, you have said nothing positive about the Purdue program. Just about all 20 of your posts have been a sad, sad, whine about the program. You also have spent considerable time telling us how great IU and Archie is doing. Then I read you posts over on Peegs complaining about the posters on this board just don't accept you. You are a 100% loser-troll in my book.

Perhaps you should just strop posting here, and get an appropriate IU related ID, then go post over at Peegs, or whatever they now call that forum.

Reactions: oldboiler52 and BBG
More and more and more of the same bs ! I asked for one example of one recruit who said the posts here were a factor in him choosing not to sign here.

And the replies are all the same look at google and tweets. That's not this board. That's not specifics. Those are just more generalities and points and claims I'm a negative poster.

My post said tweets are bigger factors than posts on this board. And you echoed my comments proving my point.

This thread also proves my point. A recruit's mother posted here. But she posted after he committed. Obviously our posts had little or no effect on his decision to sign with Painter and come to Purdue.

I get tired of people who post misleading posts and badmouthing other posters. I asked for an example from one athlete who specifically indicated posts made on this forum influenced their decision. And NONE were provided. If you disagree with my opinion, fine. But rather than speak in generalities, show me some facts and proof.

I may be old, but I do research before speaking. I've read over 200 posts on different forums over the past 10 years that say we should always be positive because recruits outside read our posts. Well I believe honesty is more important than always being positive. Sure, recruits read our posts. But in the last 10 years I have never seen one recruit say posts made at GBI were a determining factor in his decision not to attend Purdue. Rather than calling me names, why not just post a factual example. Factual examples are the easiest way to get me to post less.

All I'm asking for is one factual. Example quoting GBI as a determining factor and saying our negative posts made them go elsewhere. Is that too hard of a request? If no example actually exists or ever did exist, then I will request those that keep posting we must always be postive should refrain from posting misleading information. . Sure recruits read our posts. But as I pointed out, they also read a lot of other internet posts. And they also personally message each other a lot more than they visit here.

Rather than calling me names, Prove me wrong!

Last edited:
More and more and more of the same bs ! I asked for one example of one recruit who said the posts here were a factor in him choosing not to sign here.

And the replies are all the same look at google and tweets. That's not this board. That's not specifics. Those are just more generalities and points and claims I'm a negative poster.

My post said tweets are bigger factors than posts on this board. And you echoed my comments proving my point.

This thread also proves my point. A recruit's mother posted here. But she posted after he committed. Obviously our posts had little or no effect on his decision to sign with Painter and come to Purdue.

I get tired of people who post misleading posts and badmouthing other posters. I asked for an example from one athlete who specifically indicated posts made on this forum influenced their decision. And NONE were provided. If you disagree with my opinion, fine. But rather than speak in generalities, show me some facts and proof.

I may be old, but I do research before speaking. I've read over 200 posts on different forums over the past 10 years that say we should always be positive because recruits outside read our posts. Well I believe honesty is more important than always being positive. Sure, recruits read our posts. But in the last 10 years I have never seen one recruit say posts made at GBI. We're a determining factor in his decision not to attend Purdue. Rather than calling me names, why not just post a factual example. Factual examples are the easiest way to get me to post less.

All I'm asking for is one factual. Example quoting GBI as a determining factor and saying our negative posts made them go elsewhere. Is that too hard of a request? If no example actually exists or ever did exist, then I will request those that keep posting we must always be postive should refrain from posting misleading information. . Sure recruits read our posts. But as I pointed out, they also read a lot of other internet posts. And they also personally message each other a lot more than they visit here.

Wow you are just, dense. You asked for examples and it is suggested you google because there is mountains of it out there.

Again, this thread alone shows the impact it can have when the parent of a current player comes on the board to tell us about the impact and you and nag with your arrogant ignorance choose to simply ignore facts.

You've been proven emphatically wrong yet you go around and around again with your narrow minded views. You are the exact reason why our program is held back because you only see things in a vacuum and are either too old, too stubborn or too arrogant to understand the bigger picture since it falls outside of your ability to think that way.

Do some real research for a change, others have brought up examples in this thread that also prove you wrong, so you might want to re-read this entire thing and maybe then you'll grasp it all and stop looking so foolish.

Reactions: mathboy

I may be old, but I do research before speaking. I've read over 200 posts on different forums over the past 10 years that say we should always be positive because recruits outside read our posts. Well I believe honesty is more important than always being positive. Sure, recruits read our posts. But in the last 10 years I have never seen one recruit say posts made at GBI were a determining factor in his decision not to attend Purdue. Rather than calling me names, why not just post a factual example. Factual examples are the easiest way to get me to post less.

I hate to get deeper in to this as I generally don't have any issue with your line of thinking here, but to think that posting here or on a forum that gets linked across the internet DOESN'T have an impact, is rather naive friend.

Is it the deciding factor? Most likely not however, it most certainly could be factored in when a decision is being made. I'd have to go dig up some links, but there are instances where recruits have brought up social media (yes this forum counts) when picking a school.

Also, a couple thoughts to ponder, do you really think if a recruit pointed out a forum on GBI's site as a negative factor they would reveal that? And it's not just GBI, it's any other site like this that IMO wouldn't say anything about it because it would very detrimental to their business.

Second and probably the most important, why even take the chance in the first place? Clearly it's enough of an issue that a player's parent created and account (allegedly) to express their feelings about this very topic. So whether you choose to admit it or not, it can be an issue. And as I said, even if what you are looking for doesn't exist or isn't enough for you to be satisfied, why risk it to begin with? It only takes it happening to us one time for the snowball to roll downhill. And there is proof beyond a shadow of a doubt out there that shows recruits and their families do pay attention to places like this site. Why risk even the possibility that they could be swayed to another school because of what is posted here?

Just my two cents and I mean no offense, I just hope you can realize that things are not the same as when you and I were at Purdue.

Last edited:
I get that you say your a Boiler but am aware that you're not.

Reactions: TC4THREE and BBG
First and foremost I'm just giving my opinion I'm not whining about anything. I'm just giving you my view of why we haven't been to a final four. Since painter has been our coach how many top-notch kids in this state have we missed out on more than we've gotten way more. And that is a fact so what is wrong with telling the truth? What I like to see Purdue win a National Championship yes am I going to die if I don't I don't think so. Sorry for wanting the best for Purdue didn't know we couldn't reach for the sky here.

If I understand your thoughts correctly...considering all the variables of coaching you don't have an issue with Matt's coaching, but his recruiting? is that correct or do you have specific issues with his coaching...and if so what are those or what is that? If your issues for Matt are not really coaching, but recruiting as I think I really read from your comments what weighting does a coach play in recruiting...since I "think" you mentioned Matt needing to be at a school that recruits itself instead of the coach being the real recruiter.

Obviously coaching and recruiting are both crucial and few coaches do both well. Is your dislike of Matt due to coaching or recruiting? On a scale of 1-10 for coaching and recruiting what would you give Matt for both areas with 10 being the highest grade?

Reactions: Dakota Girl
Okay let me put it this way he does not get the recruits that can get you to a final four there did you understand that it ain't like that's a big secret

I would give him about a 8 for coaching but recruiting would be a 3
I am an actual Purdue fan, and I wouldn't give him an 8 as a coach, which leads me to believe 3 in recruiting is crazy talk. Baby Boilers, Aj Hammons, Ray Davis, Chris Kramer, Carl Landry, the seniors this year, Biggie...if that's a 3, who is a coach you would give a 5 to?

Surely you see how senseless this challenge is. Even if you are a paying member of every internet recruiting site and subscribe to all sources of college recruiting, I challenge you to find an example where a recruit gave a reason why he DID NOT choose a particular school. They never do. They telly you why they chose the school they did -- and it's usually a variation of "they showed me love" or "early playing opportunity". There is no reason for them to say, " I didn't choose school XYZ because..."

If you have ANY example, please provide it. I'm guessing your search will answer your own question.

Reactions: mathboy
I would give him about a 8 for coaching but recruiting would be a 3
Okay...that helps explain your stance somewhat. It is recruiting that is your concern, not his coaching. that is fine, I think all would like to see an uptick in Purdue's recruiting. Of all the variables that may direct a kid a certain direction, what percent do you feel the coach affects? There is no right or wrong answer to any of this...it just helps clarify your stance.

Please ignore Boilerman1973. He is not a Boiler, nor a man, and the 1973 probably refers to how much his trailer cost. He is an idiot IU fan who is on our board pounding his chest over getting a recruit who is not as good as your son.

This literally just made me laugh out loud. Strong work.

Very well said...

All of us have different expectations in life and for Purdue basketball. Some of us are satisfied going thru life making $60-$100K/yr, but some of us expect and demand more. I've have learned that you will never achieve it if you don't demands it in life and as well as for Purdue basketball. Go Boilers.

So says the Fortune 500 CEO.....

Since this board has such an affect on recruiting, we should add moderators ASAP. Posts that would aid in landing a kid's commitment should be the top priority. Others shall not be tolerated. Or restrict access, and become a pay board only.

This may be sarcasm but I believe certain boards are run like this.

I've had multiple IU fans tell me they wish Matt Painter was their coach over the past 10 years and I'm certain that no Indiana fan I know is happy that Matt Painter has beaten IU more often than not.

Other fans were thrilled that Darrell Hazell was our football coach. Why? Because historically we've never been worse.

You'd have to be pretty dumb to be an IU fan and be happy that your rival has a coach with a winning record against your team over an extended period of time. Then again, your brothers are probably related to you so...............

ADVERTISEMENT