ADVERTISEMENT

2017 class better than think

I read many of your posts you seem mad and bitter and maybe you have a right to be giving that the team hasn't gone as far in the NCAA tournament as you would like. What I feel in my heart that time is coming sir it's coming very soon and Matt painter is putting pieces together to try to get that place we all so desperately want them achieve. Sir I totally respect your opinions and I totally understand your frustration, but what I do no is i believe the pieces that has been assembled on this team will and feel make a deep run this year trying to make it to a final 4. My son came here to help this team do just that sir and so did the others who chose to come to this school with the pieces they have now with the pieces they brought in gonna be good. Sit back sir have a little more patience what u want we all want. Blessings to u

Okay everybody so a mom from the basketball team has spoken so everything you've seen the last 13 years sweep underneath the rug it doesn't matter. 3 sweet sixteens all of the first-round exits the not making the tournament for a couple of years none of that means anything now it didn't happen.

Atta girl. Let it all out.

Reactions: FLAG HUNTER and BBG
I believe she is who she claims to be . I respect peoples rights to express their opinions however . As I have stated many times players , recruits , families and friends read these boards . I always encourage them to STOP . I agree with most if not all of what she said . If you think a negative post can't hurt recruiting think again ! One of the most insulting things to recruits is when fans rank who they want only one won't be offend . Please note this NOT ALL POSTERS ARE PURDUE FANS !
I could not disagree more this. For starters, where are fans supposed to discuss hoops and share thoughts about the program if not on a message board? Do we need to start a super-secret online club where the only people that have access are those that can prove they're not a friend, parent, relative of a recruit? or the player himself? This is kind of stupid; fans should be able to talk about the team and discuss and debate their opinions - that's the whole darn point of a social platform like this. Certainly I'm not an advocate of runaway tasteless or defamatory comments, etc.; I'm referring to basic basketball discussion, even if it includes what some people feel as too critical or cynical.

With respect to the bolded statement, if Purdue is recruiting 3 PGs and fans want to rank them based on their own thoughts - however ignorant or stupid they might be - of perceived abilities in scoring, guarding, facilitating... good for the fans for being engaged and caring enough about their program to talk about it in June, 4 months before practice even starts. If a player Painter is recruiting gets online here, sees he's only the 2nd most desirable PG of the largely clueless fanbase, gets offended by it, and chooses to go to another school... well, I think Painter would happily watch him walk away. If he can't handle 50 people on a message board thinking he's the 2nd best PG option for their team, what the hell is going to happen when he gets pulled from a game and yelled at on TV by a coach for screwing up. His fragile spirit will be crushed and he'll transfer before the first game is over!

Last edited:
Reactions: nagemj02
I read many of your posts you seem mad and bitter and maybe you have a right to be giving that the team hasn't gone as far in the NCAA tournament as you would like. What I feel in my heart that time is coming sir it's coming very soon and Matt painter is putting pieces together to try to get that place we all so desperately want them achieve. Sir I totally respect your opinions and I totally understand your frustration, but what I do no is i believe the pieces that has been assembled on this team will and feel make a deep run this year trying to make it to a final 4. My son came here to help this team do just that sir and so did the others who chose to come to this school with the pieces they have now with the pieces they brought in gonna be good. Sit back sir have a little more patience what u want we all want. Blessings to u
Ms. Reed - thank you for sending your son to Purdue. We were all excited when he committed, and can't wait to see him in the old gold and black.

Please ignore Boilerman1973. He is not a Boiler, nor a man, and the 1973 probably refers to how much his trailer cost. He is an idiot IU fan who is on our board pounding his chest over getting a recruit who is not as good as your son.

Forums may - or may not - have a small impact on recruiting, but this thread is anything but proof that it does. For example... let's assume this OP is who she says she is. When this lady's son was being recruited, the memory of back-to-back basement finishes in the B1G was far more fresh in people's minds. Purdue certainly wasn't coming off a B1G title and a S16 - conference and NCAA finishes tied for Purdue's best since Painter arrived. Purdue hadn't landed it's best recruit in decades and was getting no publicity that comes from having a POY candidate on the roster.

In other words, the attitude and expectations for Purdue were likely lower than they are today back when this lady's son was being recruiting, and he still committed to Purdue. If this lady and her son were scouring the forums then - and if recruiting is impacted by even a fraction of what posters are suggesting in this thread - there's no way this kid would even be playing here today. I think this thread is anything but "proof positive" that this board impacts recruiting. In fact, the OP says she "just stumbled upon this site" practically by accident after the season ended... so this board was so important to recruiting that she didn't even know it existed back then...

Granted, I've never been recruited to play D1 hoops, so the process is a completely foreign idea to me. But it's just really hard to imagine that with all these kids have to consider when picking a school - academics, location, style of play, relationships with coaches, and countless other things - that they sit down at a computer to try to find out if a message board has "too many" negative posts or posters. That makes no sense to me. Further, define "too many"? UK has been an NCAA title threat basically every year that Cal has been there, and when they get bounced in E8, fans go belligerent on their boards. Ever read any of that stuff?

People act like this is somehow unique to Purdue. It if happens everywhere - and it does - then it's no more impactful in a negative way to Purdue than any other school. Ergo, I'm not a buyer of the viewpoint that message boards impact recruiting. I'm not saying it's never made an impact or that it won't be a small component of the decision in the future, but by and large, it's a non-factor.
I'm not going to argue that these boards have little effect on swaying recruits, although I do find that much of what is said on here has some rub on Purdue sports culture (acknowledged by Tiller vs. Knuckleheads and MB1 vs. "vocal minority" on internet boards).

But one could just the same argue that incessant bitching, whining, and negativity on message boards have just as little effect, if not less, on any decisions an AD is going to make such as firing a coach. Just as a recruit's school choice is more driven by other factors as you mention- history, coach, location, academics- the decision to replace a coach is also mostly driven by other factors- ticket sales, wins and losses, JPC contributions.

So, this isn't pointed at you personally, but maybe this is an opportunity for everyone to examine their objective here. Is it to enter into a conversation with other fans and exchange ideas like adults? Is it to get into pointless shouting matches and call for a coach to be fired (who isn't even on a hot seat)? Why anyone would choose to do the latter when no one of influence on Purdue athletics (players, coaches, or AD) reads or cares about what is said here is beyond me.

Wish there was some way to verify that this post is legit, but unfortunately, there probably isn't.

Regardless of who posted it, some truths there.
I have stayed out of this discussion - especially since Oldboiler said exactly what I would have said. Anyone close to the program knows she is legit. She is a person that the program has not had for a while. A parent who will take the time and energy to speak-out (not negatively, just publicly). It was clear when her son committed the reasons that he did. They were stated. They may not be the most important reasons other recruits choose a school, but there was never any doubt why she and her son chose Purdue. And every single one of those reasons are the right reasons, and should be listened to with the utmost respect and appreciation ... for the source truly cares about the PU basketball team and has more information than anyone else on this board.

Last edited:
Regarding whether boards impact recruiting. It seems we struggle with the realization that every forum for every team ranks players, dislikes offers, predicts failures (or success). It's not like this board does some things the competition doesn't do.

Regarding whether boards impact recruiting. It seems we struggle with the realization that every forum for every team ranks players, dislikes offers, predicts failures (or success). It's not like this board does some things the competition doesn't do.

If some of the folks here would go to some other schools boards they would see this free board is VERY tame in comparison. It reminds me of the tournament when some on here had never seen Kansas play before our game. Getting some perspective of other programs might help some realize where PU is in the spectrum of college hoops on and off the court.

I'm not going to argue that these boards have little effect on swaying recruits, although I do find that much of what is said on here has some rub on Purdue sports culture (acknowledged by Tiller vs. Knuckleheads and MB1 vs. "vocal minority" on internet boards).
I can appreciate that, but I would ask whether the comments here drive the sports culture or whether the existing fan culture drives the comments. Not necessarily a question for you to answer, more just for thought.

But one could just the same argue that incessant bitching, whining, and negativity on message boards have just as little effect, if not less, on any decisions an AD is going to make such as firing a coach. Just as a recruit's school choice is more driven by other factors as you mention- history, coach, location, academics- the decision to replace a coach is also mostly driven by other factors- ticket sales, wins and losses, JPC contributions.
You're right that the comments (whining, moaning, and whoa is us stuff) themselves have very little direct impact on the AD firing a coach. However, if the posters here are representative of season ticket holders for a given sport, and thus are a good temperature check for attitude/passion for a program under a coach's leadership, then you might find a reasonable correlation of whining/moaning to decreased JPC giving, ticket sales, attendance, etc. I'm not suggesting this place is or isn't representative of the larger base, just pointing out that if they put their money where their mouth is here and stop buying the product, then the complaining can contribute to AD actions.

So, this isn't pointed at you personally, but maybe this is an opportunity for everyone to examine their objective here. Is it to enter into a conversation with other fans and exchange ideas like adults? Is it to get into pointless shouting matches and call for a coach to be fired (who isn't even on a hot seat)? Why anyone would choose to do the latter when no one of influence on Purdue athletics (players, coaches, or AD) reads or cares about what is said here is beyond me.
Only speaking for me, I'm a huge fan of college hoops and like talking about it here. Sometimes Purdue specific, sometimes more general. Regarding the in-fighting, yeah it gets old seeing the same 5 posters from either side of a debate clogging up every thread repeating themselves incessantly. But I accept it. Unfortunately some people in this world are just never wrong and won't quit a back-and-forth until they have the last word in.

A bit unrelated, but I will say one thing that reflects just as poorly on this board - IMO - are the people that constantly take the bait on everything. It's like watching an animal walk right into a trap and fight for hours to get out it. A good example is that Reasonable Guy poster who would come over from Peegs and talk about what great physical shape Tom Crean was in and he'd get 50 responses from people whining. It was obvious the dude couldn't possibly have been serious with even 10% of the stuff he said, and people would run in circles wanting to debate him. Kind of embarrassing really. I imagine he doing a Billy Madison watching in bushes as the old man tries to put out the flaming bag of poo on the porch.

We've been hearing about pieces getting put together for 13 years now how long does it take to put pieces together can somebody answer that and my trailer cost a little bit more you prick and for being IU fan maybe I should have chose IU when I was seven and chose a school to root for at least they're goal is to win a title every year.

We've been hearing about pieces getting put together for 13 years now how long does it take to put pieces together can somebody answer that and my trailer cost a little bit more you prick and for being IU fan maybe I should have chose IU when I was seven and chose a school to root for at least they're goal is to win a title every year.
In the past 18 years, Villanova got past the 2nd round three times,1 national championship. 2nd round last year when ranked #1.

I will try to make this short and to the point. I'm a parent of one of the freshman on Purdue team and i stumbled onto this site about a few months after my son season had ended and i cannot believe how many of u on this site suppose to b FANS r so critical of Matt Painter and how this team will b this season that i had to create an account to say a few things to help make u understand what goes on in recruiting bcuz many of u have no clue about it and I DO. My son had many choices of schools to choose from but he chose purdue bcuz of how Matt painter recruited him. came to every game he was allowed to,called him talked to him via text and on the phone made sure my son new he wanted him. made no promises to he or i but said u come in and work u cud play. That article that came out today that matt painter talked about culture was totally on point and why my son chose this school and why if u all only knew who matt painter is u wud no he a good guy who knows a lot about this game and to me the best coach for my son and im glad my son chose this school to come to to further his education and play basketball in one of the toughest conferences around. give these kids and coaches a break season hasnt started yet b4 u complain about what they dont have. this team as i said in my thread will b better than u all think b patient and watch it play out. they the 2017 class is super athletic trust n believe that and in due time u all will see. as far as recruiting many kids chooses schools based on the name and not what fits them. why there is over 750 transfers right now. dont go crazy cuz certain kids that purdue offered chose to go elsewhere u have no idea why they chose to go to that school bcuz kids sometimes wanna stay in state so they family can see them ever thought of that. my son was recruited since the 8th grade i have seen it all trust me and kids and parents has to make a decision that is best for their kid no matter were they go they will have to live with that decision. lastly rankings r man made 5star 4star means nothing once u get in college trust me it dont ive seen 5 star sit on benches was lottery picks coming out of HS and literally sat on the bench got no playing time look it up kentucky, duke, kansas i no all those kids cuz my son played with many of them. what i no is this if u can play scouts will find u i no but cannot find u if u sitting on the bench that is facts. sorry for the long message just had to say something even tho u all dont no the half of what really goes on with recruiting the politics that all come with it. I will end it here give the kids and matt painter a break they working u all no idea what they all go thru day to day but what i feel in my heart this team is gonna like i said better than u all think post biggie cant replace biggie but can build of what biggie accomplished and bekieve me u this team gonna go out and try to win every game and make a serious run for a natl championship that is what my son came here to do win a natl championship. well take care all Boiler UP b fans and let the process play out.

Thank you for posting. It didn't take much deductive reasoning to figure out who your son is. I am extremely grateful for you sharing such a fine young man with the Boilermakers for the next four years. As an alum, I can promise you that he will be given every opportunity to excel in life and on the court and he picked an excellent place to develop his skills. I am extremely impressed with his humility and his consistent desire to make sure his teammates get maximum exposure. He will fit well with the current Purdue team.

Reactions: Roeder
Thank you for posting. It didn't take much deductive reasoning to figure out who your son is. I am extremely grateful for you sharing such a fine young man with the Boilermakers for the next four years. As an alum, I can promise you that he will be given every opportunity to excel in life and on the court and he picked an excellent place to develop his skills. I am extremely impressed with his humility and his consistent desire to make sure his teammates get maximum exposure. He will fit well with the current Purdue team.

Yeah, I'm shocked that some of the others didn't figure this out as well. One read through and you knew who she was halfway through. Wish more parents would do this, and I'm happy most of the IU trolls respected your post. Such a shame we had one of our own, display such a bad arrogant side.

Reactions: Do Dah Day
I hope they came to Purdue to get a degree and a viable education. There chance of making a living playing a game is very slim.

Mis Treed,
You are far kinder than I am;). And that's a good thing.
Yes, all have a right to there opinion. They also have a right to go through life bitter and angry.
The rest of the world has a right not to like them or agree with them and that tends to upset them.
I do not think that they have a right to ridicule kids.
They profess to drive change for the better by ridiculing the coach. I think that they do damage to the program that they claim to support.
Stick around. Voice your opinion. It's helping.
About basketball...
I believe that the 17 class is going to bring about an entirely different style of basketball because they possess greater length AND athleticism than any class I can remember. They also appear to have a rather high skill level. They will fit beautifully with the boys already there and those veterans will teach the newcomers.
Because Matt is targeting high character as well, this team is going to be a joy to watch and make us proud.

A bit unrelated, but I will say one thing that reflects just as poorly on this board - IMO - are the people that constantly take the bait on everything.

i see it as related.
the trolls continue to catch many fish here, and im not sure why some good fans help perpetuate it. (at least I think they are good/legit fans, but maybe not).

oh well, you just learn to ignore some of it.
as said above, other schools' boards are Crazy bad in comparison.

so i would make a comparable point as the OP. like the '17 class being better than others think, I think this board can be pretty darn good and better than others think as well.

can't wait til next season, and defend the big ten title

Tell me how it felt when McDonald's replaced you with a kiosk?

I believe she is genuine. I've read the entire thread. I believe the majority of posters here all want the same thing - a national championship and for all of our players to graduate and also stay off the police blotter. Unfortunately, when that doesn't happen, people, understandably become frustrated and subsequently express their opinions.

I believe there is a difference between being negative and being critical. A critical person looks at a program and areas where that program can be improved. This is what an industrial engineer is trained to do. But to be critical and suggest improvement actions, you also have to be realistic and honest. And sometimes to some, being realistic and honest comes across as being negative.

I also believe a person should reply to the message rather than the messenger. Just because a person disagrees with a post, does not give that person the authority to personally attack that poster. And that does happen frequently here when people present differing viewpoints.

I will disagree that forums such as this affect recruiting as much as people say they do. I say that because this forum is a lot more positive towards recruits than many other forums. the Kentucky and Duke forums can , at times, be much worse. And other message boards are also filled with many negative posters. and as our original poster pointed out, she didn't feel the need to post here until her son already signed with Purdue. I have to believe our school, Coach Painter and the players on our team played a much larger role in his decision than the posts made here. but, that's my opinion.

I believe our biggest level of conflict comes from our satisfaction level of success. We all want success.. But for some a BIG 10 title is not enough. For some making the sweet 16 is not enough. For some anything short of the final 4 is not a successful season.

And then you have people like myself who love to compare, analyze and speculate. I don't consider myself to be a negative poster. I don't look for fights or arguments. I don't usually badmouth other posters. But I often disagree with some of the viewpoints expressed here. And many people get tired of my rather, long posts. unfortunately, I'm a product of my education and job experience. I used to write military regulations and historical documents. and they had to be LONG ! and spell out everything.

Something to consider. Each year, over 7,000 new people come to Purdue to seek an education. Each year there are over 30,000 students at Purdue. that does not include alumni or parents or just fans. I'm going to speculate this forum does not have 30,000 posters. What you see here are the most passionate and die hard Purdue sports fans. and who is to say when a person is in the minority here and expresses a differing viewpoint, that that poster is not representing the actual opinion of the majority of students , alumni, parents and fans who don't post here? it's very possible the majority of opinions expressed here are actually a minority viewpoint. We really don't have positive proof either way.

I gladly welcome the original poster and any new boilermaker to post on this forum. and to not be discouraged if somebody with 20,000 posts disagrees with you. You'll soon find out that person disagrees with most other people too. You'll also find out there are people who will also agree with your comments. not always, but sometimes.

I have a degree from several universities. My first college degree and the one I'm proudest of is the one I earned at Purdue. EE 1979. and unlike most typical Purdue grads, the EE doesn't stand for Electrical Engineering. I don't lie or try to mislead people. My Purdue degree is in Elementary Education.

My son played AAU ball against some of the best players in the nation. Unfortunately, he was not good enough or tall enough to receive a Division 1 basketball scholarship. But he is good enough to be a decathlon track athlete at a top 20 rival Division 1 University. It wasn't my choice of schools. Ultimately, it was his. He's a senior this year, and his goal is to be a MVC decathlon champion and invite to the NCAA Track and Field Championship. and win or lose, I'll still cheer for him, but will also be realistic about his chances.

Welcome to this board. But most importantly, welcome to the Purdue family. We don't always behave or get along. Why? because we're FAMILY !

Anyone not believing the post is from the parent of a player is somebody that must be incredibly paranoid and in need of help. As for me, I believe it is legitimate and I believe it is a very serious message that needs to be read and absorbed by those extremely negative posters on here. This message is for you guys.

Lol, way to get on your high horse. It's the internet. Anybody can pretend to be someone else (or multiple people). Your tone is I should believe the OP or else I'm crazy. Get out of here with that crap. Maybe it is a parent, maybe it isn't. You have no way of knowing for sure, no matter how many times the OP posts or how much you believe in them.

Reactions: JohnHoosierr
Lol, way to get on your high horse. It's the internet. Anybody can pretend to be someone else (or multiple people). Your tone is I should believe the OP or else I'm crazy. Get out of here with that crap. Maybe it is a parent, maybe it isn't. You have no way of knowing for sure, no matter how many times the OP posts or how much you believe in them.
So much irony in a post like this coming from you. If there is anyone on this forum that needs to get off their high horse, it's you.

Whether you believe the OP is who she say she is, isn't relevant because either way you're crazy. You're just getting even more laughable now with your arrogant attitude on here. You do realize your pretty much on par with kesselshmeck now right? Maybe you two are on in the same. Posting styles are pretty similar and he has been oddly missing from here for quite a while.

Oh and to those saying that the internet forums don't have an impact an impact on recruiting, that goes to show how out of touch you are in regards to the game. This thread and just a google search shows how much it is true. I have this feeling that those that don't think it's true are older and not as in-tune with how things are done today.

Also there was a question about why a forum doesn't impact other schools the same way and it is quite simple, Purdue has a few other sites but I would wager not to the degree that other schools have. GBI is relatively small by comparison however is the key source for all things Purdue. Other schools have many free sites that people can go to so I suspect the usual stuff we see here is spread among those making it far less obvious. And as I have said many times, recruiting isn't done in a vacuum like some of you think it is. Just because one thing works or doesn't work at one school, it doesn't mean it will work or not work at others.

And lastly, while I also suspect those sites have their own set of problem posters, we have a handful of real douchebag posters like nag here and with a rather small comparative active fanbase here on the free board, they tend to stand out more as a vocal minority.

Last edited:
Reactions: BBG and Do Dah Day
You are right about one thing and that is that this is the internet. This gives you the right to get out on that ledge as often as you like, but at least in this particular instance you must feel all alone. The fact that you missed the point of the very lengthy original post is really amazing. The very negative crap posted about our coaches and our players paints a horrible picture of Purdue fans and it does take its toll at times. As Purdue fans we should be supporting all of our players and recruits. Sure you have every right to question if the post in question was actually made by a players parent, but the fact you read the post and questioned it tells a whole lot about who you are. Negative and paranoid are two words that come to mind when reading your post questioning the validity of the players parent.

You're funny telling somebody to preach you Matt Painter supporters preach every year that's all you guys do is preach but we get the same results year in and year out so go ahead and preach like deja vu all over again
Shouldn't you be over on peegs explaining how the 11th place B1G team who lost two NBA players, is going to be a contender this season?

I believe she is genuine. I've read the entire thread. I believe the majority of posters here all want the same thing - a national championship and for all of our players to graduate and also stay off the police blotter. Unfortunately, when that doesn't happen, people, understandably become frustrated and subsequently express their opinions.

I believe there is a difference between being negative and being critical. A critical person looks at a program and areas where that program can be improved. This is what an industrial engineer is trained to do. But to be critical and suggest improvement actions, you also have to be realistic and honest. And sometimes to some, being realistic and honest comes across as being negative.

I also believe a person should reply to the message rather than the messenger. Just because a person disagrees with a post, does not give that person the authority to personally attack that poster. And that does happen frequently here when people present differing viewpoints.

I will disagree that forums such as this affect recruiting as much as people say they do. I say that because this forum is a lot more positive towards recruits than many other forums. the Kentucky and Duke forums can , at times, be much worse. And other message boards are also filled with many negative posters. and as our original poster pointed out, she didn't feel the need to post here until her son already signed with Purdue. I have to believe our school, Coach Painter and the players on our team played a much larger role in his decision than the posts made here. but, that's my opinion.

I believe our biggest level of conflict comes from our satisfaction level of success. We all want success.. But for some a BIG 10 title is not enough. For some making the sweet 16 is not enough. For some anything short of the final 4 is not a successful season.

And then you have people like myself who love to compare, analyze and speculate. I don't consider myself to be a negative poster. I don't look for fights or arguments. I don't usually badmouth other posters. But I often disagree with some of the viewpoints expressed here. And many people get tired of my rather, long posts. unfortunately, I'm a product of my education and job experience. I used to write military regulations and historical documents. and they had to be LONG ! and spell out everything.

Something to consider. Each year, over 7,000 new people come to Purdue to seek an education. Each year there are over 30,000 students at Purdue. that does not include alumni or parents or just fans. I'm going to speculate this forum does not have 30,000 posters. What you see here are the most passionate and die hard Purdue sports fans. and who is to say when a person is in the minority here and expresses a differing viewpoint, that that poster is not representing the actual opinion of the majority of students , alumni, parents and fans who don't post here? it's very possible the majority of opinions expressed here are actually a minority viewpoint. We really don't have positive proof either way.

I gladly welcome the original poster and any new boilermaker to post on this forum. and to not be discouraged if somebody with 20,000 posts disagrees with you. You'll soon find out that person disagrees with most other people too. You'll also find out there are people who will also agree with your comments. not always, but sometimes.

I have a degree from several universities. My first college degree and the one I'm proudest of is the one I earned at Purdue. EE 1979. and unlike most typical Purdue grads, the EE doesn't stand for Electrical Engineering. I don't lie or try to mislead people. My Purdue degree is in Elementary Education.

My son played AAU ball against some of the best players in the nation. Unfortunately, he was not good enough or tall enough to receive a Division 1 basketball scholarship. But he is good enough to be a decathlon track athlete at a top 20 rival Division 1 University. It wasn't my choice of schools. Ultimately, it was his. He's a senior this year, and his goal is to be a MVC decathlon champion and invite to the NCAA Track and Field Championship. and win or lose, I'll still cheer for him, but will also be realistic about his chances.

Welcome to this board. But most importantly, welcome to the Purdue family. We don't always behave or get along. Why? because we're FAMILY !

Very well said...

All of us have different expectations in life and for Purdue basketball. Some of us are satisfied going thru life making $60-$100K/yr, but some of us expect and demand more. I've have learned that you will never achieve it if you don't demands it in life and as well as for Purdue basketball. Go Boilers.

Reactions: Boiler Buck
You're funny telling somebody to preach you Matt Painter supporters preach every year that's all you guys do is preach but we get the same results year in and year out so go ahead and preach like deja vu all over again
yawn1.gif

So much irony in a post like this coming from you. If there is anyone on this forum that needs to get off their high horse, it's you.

Whether you believe the OP is who she say she is, isn't relevant because either way you're crazy. You're just getting even more laughable now with your arrogant attitude on here. You do realize your pretty much on par with kesselshmeck now right? Maybe you two are on in the same. Posting styles are pretty similar and he has been oddly missing from here for quite a while.

Oh and to those saying that the internet forums don't have an impact an impact on recruiting, that goes to show how out of touch you are in regards to the game. This thread and just a google search shows how much it is true. I have this feeling that those that don't think it's true are older and not as in-tune with how things are done today.

Also there was a question about why a forum doesn't impact other schools the same way and it is quite simple, Purdue has a few other sites but I would wager not to the degree that other schools have. GBI is relatively small by comparison however is the key source for all things Purdue. Other schools have many free sites that people can go to so I suspect the usual stuff we see here is spread among those making it far less obvious. And as I have said many times, recruiting isn't done in a vacuum like some of you think it is. Just because one thing works or doesn't work at one school, it doesn't mean it will work or not work at others.

And lastly, while I also suspect those sites have their own set of problem posters, we have a handful of real douchebag posters like nag here and with a rather small comparative active fanbase here on the free board, they tend to stand out more as a vocal minority.

Since this board has such an affect on recruiting, we should add moderators ASAP. Posts that would aid in landing a kid's commitment should be the top priority. Others shall not be tolerated. Or restrict access, and become a pay board only.

Very well said...

All of us have different expectations in life and for Purdue basketball. Some of us are satisfied going thru life making $60-$100K/yr, but some of us expect and demand more. I've have learned that you will never achieve it if you don't demands it in life and as well as for Purdue basketball. Go Boilers.
I'm not disagreeing with your post, simply saying that there are at least 40 teams who demand it, but only 4 (or whatever number you accept as great)) achieve it. Not achieving it does not equate to not demanding it.

Unlike the American Dream or other roads to greatness, There is a finite number of greats in college basketball each year. I am sure many who don't make it, demanded it.

Very well said...

Did you mean to sound pompous and arrogant when you started talking about money or was that just an unfortunate side effect?
It's another example of embarrassing statements that are read by people we may not want to alienate. It sounds as if you are saying that a person who chooses to be a nurse, policeman, fireman, teacher, chef, most engineers (depending on the cost of living in your location), and hundreds of other invaluable professions are lesser people because they do what they do. I would happily hire a person who has the desire for more. I would never hire one with such low regard for others who do their job with pride and passion even though they don't meet your monetary standards.
I really hope you don't mean it.

Did you mean to sound pompous and arrogant when you started talking about money or was that just an unfortunate side effect?
It's another example of embarrassing statements that are read by people we may not want to alienate. It sounds as if you are saying that a person who chooses to be a nurse, policeman, fireman, teacher, chef, most engineers (depending on the cost of living in your location), and hundreds of other invaluable professions are lesser people because they do what they do. I would happily hire a person who has the desire for more. I would never hire one with such low regard for others who do their job with pride and passion even though they don't meet your monetary standards.
I really hope you don't mean it.

Don't get so defensive, what I was getting at was that we need to set our goals higher like the Final 4 not just reaching the NCAA tournament every year. It just seems like a lot of Purdue fans are satisfied with reaching the Sweet 16 every once in a while. This should apply to life as well.

I'm not disagreeing with your post, simply saying that there are at least 40 teams who demand it, but only 4 (or whatever number you accept as great)) achieve it. Not achieving it does not equate to not demanding it.

Unlike the American Dream or other roads to greatness, There is a finite number of greats in college basketball each year. I am sure many who don't make it, demanded it.

See my reply above. Our goal shouldn't be the Sweet 16. For those of us who think that the Final 4 should be our goal each year just have different expectations. This doesn't make us negative or bad fans. How else can we improve without setting our goals higher.

One sure way to stop IU trolls from coming over here is by finally reaching the Final 4/NC. To do that CMP got to improve on recruiting...

Don't get so defensive, what I was getting at was that we need to set our goals higher like the Final 4 not just reaching the NCAA tournament every year. It just seems like a lot of Purdue fans are satisfied with reaching the Sweet 16 every once in a while. This should apply to life as well.

See my reply above. Our goal shouldn't be the Sweet 16. For those of us who think that the Final 4 should be our goal each year just have different expectations. This doesn't make us negative or bad fans. How else can we improve without setting our goals higher.

One sure way to stop IU trolls from coming over here is by finally reaching the Final 4/NC. To do that CMP got to improve on recruiting...
My point is not about wether or not I am insulted. It is that others may be. If just one parent of a recruit Purdue is attempting to land comes on and reads statements like that, THEY might be offended. They likely would never say a word. They may not read another post. They may just form a poor opinion of Purdue. Purdue IS its students and Alumni.
I just ask that we all think about about what we have written before we hit send. I have no issue with the posters who feel the NC is the most important thing to achieve. I want Purdue to win it too. But don't write messages that could keep it from happening. No matter how low the odds are. It is possible.
That one offended person might be that big time recruit you value so much. What if our visiting mother had seen all this before her sons commitment. That might have swayed a rather highly rated player away from Purdue.

Reactions: BoilerAndy and BBG

I am dead certain that the basketball team's goal every single year is the final 4. If you are trying to say that Painter should improve his recruiting, OK ... but that does not relate to demanding the final 4. As I have posted for over two years, who is the coach that is available and would come to PU that we KNOW would take us to a final 4 before Painter may? Who is that person? ANd how do we KNOW he will accomplish that goal ... because I assure you that he will demand it from his players.

If your post relates to fans ... well, not much to say about the breadth of fans needs, desires, frustrations, and acceptances.

Reactions: Dakota Girl and BBG

So this is how you responded to Boiler800's post? I'll repost it here so that you can see how it must have spoken to you, personally, based on your response.

"Anyone not believing the post is from the parent of a player is somebody that must be incredibly paranoid and in need of help. As for me, I believe it is legitimate and I believe it is a very serious message that needs to be read and absorbed by those extremely negative posters on here. This message is for you guys."

"Extremely negative posters" hit home, apparently, and then you doubled up on it.

A couple things chi town. 1. The team plays for and has a goal of an NC every year. Why would you think differently? I think you confuse the analysis and expectations of others (critics) with the aspirations of the actual team. 2. I found your post offensive annd arrogant, especially the last part of it where you attempt to make some sort of point about salaries. Maybe you should rethink your approach.

ADVERTISEMENT