ADVERTISEMENT

2017 class better than think

Looks like our friend Indy-Ryder got taken out back and tossed on the scrap heap. Well disserved fate for the D-bag. Just because a kid plays sports nobody has the right or privileged of insulting them or their family. I do not accept the premise that they are "public figures" and therefore open to vile criticism.

No way of knowing if it's legit or not. Either way, parents of any college athlete would be best served not frequenting message boards. I think most of them know that already.

This board is very tame. Check out some of the blue bloods if you want to see crazy!

I say we just get rid of the basketball program and put all of our money in tennis. Since there's no desire to get to a final four at this school why play.

For anyone out there that may not believe the OP. Checkout link below. Hammer and Rails does... I did also but to see this posted on another Purdue site is very surprising... Nice to see it...

https://www.hammerandrails.com/

https://www.hammerandrails.com/2017/7/20/16006350/purdue-basketball-mother-speaks-out

The sad thing is that she was very outspoken for Purdue and made it clear she loved Purdue and the coaches when her son committed. She will quickly find that Boiler Nation is not accurately represented on a free board. I expect great things from her son, the whole '17 class, and I expect Purdue to be a contender next year. I am glad her son chose Purdue and I am glad Purdue was able to land high character young men in the '17 class. Painter has an excellent reputation.

It is hard to be a rational fan. Everybody wants to win and win right away. I will say that it is relatively tame here compared to other teams.

It should also be noted that I haven't seen anybody say anything negative about her son in particular. She just has inside information and felt the need to clarify about Painter and I love that she is sticking up for him! I remember when her son committed I was excited she was joining the family. She was outspoken about her son's choice and education was very important to her. We are lucky to have her and her son in the Boiler family.

Last edited:
Looks like our friend Indy-Ryder got taken out back and tossed on the scrap heap. Well disserved fate for the D-bag. Just because a kid plays sports nobody has the right or privileged of insulting them or their family. I do not accept the premise that they are "public figures" and therefore open to vile criticism.
The guy is a tool. Unfortunately he's not alone. At least the rest have had the decency not to treat Mom like he was.

Bottom Line is.....Purdue is the proven best program in the Big Ten.

Fact: we have the most Big Ten Titles

All Purdue needs is to string together some "Luck" to go along with the good teams to get to the National Title.

A great team and luck.......odds are in our favor.....just like the Chicago Cubs.

Our time is soon with high character coach, staff, players and fans......our time is soon.

Boiler Up!

For anyone out there that may not believe the OP. Checkout link below. Hammer and Rails does... I did also but to see this posted on another Purdue site is very surprising... Nice to see it...

https://www.hammerandrails.com/

https://www.hammerandrails.com/2017/7/20/16006350/purdue-basketball-mother-speaks-out

Unless some detectives would trace the IP address and interview people, there's no way of knowing for sure that the OP is legitimately the parent of an incoming player. It could just be a clever way for someone to get discussion going, which if that's the case, it's worked.

No way of knowing if it's legit or not. Either way, parents of any college athlete would be best served not frequenting message boards. I think most of them know that already.

This board is very tame. Check out some of the blue bloods if you want to see crazy!
They find the addresses of refs and tweet at Recruits 24/7. They do worse than that as well

Unless some detectives would trace the IP address and interview people, there's no way of knowing for sure that the OP is legitimately the parent of an incoming player. It could just be a clever way for someone to get discussion going, which if that's the case, it's worked.

I have no reason to lie about who I am. I'm not mentioning my son name to protect his privacy. I did not come on here to cause no trouble i just wanted to voice my opinion is all. You have a bless day.
Thank you Treed1967 for your posts! I think it was completely appropriate and got some fans on here thinking! I wish your son all the success in the world at Purdue! I think he made a wise choice! Very excited about the upcoming season and watching this team develop! Boiler Up!

Reactions: punaj
Thanks for the post. This "free board" gets all kinds of people posting things, some include Non Purdue fans claiming to be Purdue fans and some include just plain grumpy Purdue Alum. There are some genuine loyal fans too and fans that want Purdue to succeed...

It's a mixed bag here and people often try to be something they are not in real life on these boards so all of this Painter hater talk shouldn't be read at face value. Some people need to get a life...

I wish your son success and Boiler Up!

Anyone not believing the post is from the parent of a player is somebody that must be incredibly paranoid and in need of help. As for me, I believe it is legitimate and I believe it is a very serious message that needs to be read and absorbed by those extremely negative posters on here. This message is for you guys.

Isn't that the same H&R that gets blasted on here routinely for mis-information and bad reporting???
Well to be fair, a broken clock is right twice a day, so anything is possible.

I, for one, believe the OP. There is just no reason to post something like that otherwise. I mean the trolls we get here pretending to be Purdue fans sure wouldn't put up that much of an effort and just flat out aren't smart enough to keep it going this long.

The OP seems legit and I think we all need to pay attention to what was said and think through what we say on here a bit more. Yeah there are some that go farther than others, but let's be honest, I am sure at one point or another we ALL were guilty of saying things that fall in the realm of what was said above.

I have no reason to lie about who I am. I'm not mentioning my son name to protect his privacy. I did not come on here to cause no trouble i just wanted to voice my opinion is all. You have a bless day.
Hi Treed,
Just so you know. The doubting post you responded to is Nagem. He is one of the anti Painter group and you will notice most of his posts are written to subtlety undermine Matt Painter.
Sometimes not so subtlety. You will also notice that he knows very little about the game beyond stats.
I for one hope you keep talking with us. I also hope that in doing so you are able to recognize and ignore the negative people and enjoy the positive.

Wish there was some way to verify that this post is legit, but unfortunately, there probably isn't.

Regardless of who posted it, some truths there.

I, for one, believe the OP. There is just no reason to post something like that otherwise. I mean the trolls we get here pretending to be Purdue fans sure wouldn't put up that much of an effort and just flat out aren't smart enough to keep it going this long.

The OP seems legit and I think we all need to pay attention to what was said and think through what we say on here a bit more. Yeah there are some that go farther than others, but let's be honest, I am sure at one point or another we ALL were guilty of saying things that fall in the realm of what was said above.
And really what it boils down to is does it even matter if the OP is legit? I mean, regardless of this one post.. Is it not plausible (perhaps likely) that parents and family members, maybe players themselves are reading these words? Can't do much about trolls other than ignore, but if all true Purdue fans try to not be overly negative in our public criticism of the coach/team/players/recruits, that might make some small difference. Yes, we can all offer constructive criticism. I do my share. And sure, the morning after a big loss of a game or of a recruit, emotions might get the best of us. But for those of us who are truly fans, let's not allow constructive criticism to become destructive or overshadow the good things.

Believe, or don't believe, not really an issue for me. Just wanted to make sure we aren't now quoting H&R as the source of good information. Or put a better way, let's don't use H&R when it fits a narrative we like versus one we don't.

Reactions: nagemj02
I go over to H&R all the time. I don't post because I cannot remember my login, but I do read what is said over the there. I don't see much difference from this board. Some good and bad.

BTW- we would all be crazy to think that parents/players/recruits don't stop by for a look at what is going on. If my son was incoming freshman I would be taking a look. It is all part of the competitive nature in some people.

Damn good job if not a parent since I read parent all through it. Parent and truthful I say

It's definitely real.

I am a legit parent of a kid on purdue team. My son would probably be mad at me for being on this site told me to stay off of it, but at first it was fun reading all the comments than the comments started being kinda mean that is when I just wanted to give you all some insight of what I no and been through as a mother of a recruit and to let u no Matt Painter maybe not in some of your eyes but in my eyes is a great coach and person. I will probably continue to read some of these post but probably won't b posting much from this point on especially when season starts. By the way not sure who the person who sent a message pretending to be me because I did not send a message (I will try) that wasn't me so please whoever you are don't do that. August 11/12 cannot get here quick enough to finally see my son in his # ? Uniform will totally give it away who my son is if I mention his name or number, but super excited for the upcoming season. Again boiler up way up super purdue fans. Thanks for the love and understanding.

This thread is proof positive that these forums impact recruiting. That was an argument that went on and on last season and can finally be put to rest.

If anyone still thinks that there isn't they are living in on narrow minded dream world.
Forums may - or may not - have a small impact on recruiting, but this thread is anything but proof that it does. For example... let's assume this OP is who she says she is. When this lady's son was being recruited, the memory of back-to-back basement finishes in the B1G was far more fresh in people's minds. Purdue certainly wasn't coming off a B1G title and a S16 - conference and NCAA finishes tied for Purdue's best since Painter arrived. Purdue hadn't landed it's best recruit in decades and was getting no publicity that comes from having a POY candidate on the roster.

In other words, the attitude and expectations for Purdue were likely lower than they are today back when this lady's son was being recruiting, and he still committed to Purdue. If this lady and her son were scouring the forums then - and if recruiting is impacted by even a fraction of what posters are suggesting in this thread - there's no way this kid would even be playing here today. I think this thread is anything but "proof positive" that this board impacts recruiting. In fact, the OP says she "just stumbled upon this site" practically by accident after the season ended... so this board was so important to recruiting that she didn't even know it existed back then...

Granted, I've never been recruited to play D1 hoops, so the process is a completely foreign idea to me. But it's just really hard to imagine that with all these kids have to consider when picking a school - academics, location, style of play, relationships with coaches, and countless other things - that they sit down at a computer to try to find out if a message board has "too many" negative posts or posters. That makes no sense to me. Further, define "too many"? UK has been an NCAA title threat basically every year that Cal has been there, and when they get bounced in E8, fans go belligerent on their boards. Ever read any of that stuff?

People act like this is somehow unique to Purdue. It if happens everywhere - and it does - then it's no more impactful in a negative way to Purdue than any other school. Ergo, I'm not a buyer of the viewpoint that message boards impact recruiting. I'm not saying it's never made an impact or that it won't be a small component of the decision in the future, but by and large, it's a non-factor.

Last edited:
Okay everybody so a mom from the basketball team has spoken so everything you've seen the last 13 years sweep underneath the rug it doesn't matter. 3 sweet sixteens all of the first-round exits the not making the tournament for a couple of years none of that means anything now it didn't happen.

I am a legit parent of a kid on purdue team. My son would probably be mad at me for being on this site told me to stay off of it, but at first it was fun reading all the comments than the comments started being kinda mean that is when I just wanted to give you all some insight of what I no and been through as a mother of a recruit and to let u no Matt Painter maybe not in some of your eyes but in my eyes is a great coach and person. I will probably continue to read some of these post but probably won't b posting much from this point on especially when season starts. By the way not sure who the person who sent a message pretending to be me because I did not send a message (I will try) that wasn't me so please whoever you are don't do that. August 11/12 cannot get here quick enough to finally see my son in his # ? Uniform will totally give it away who my son is if I mention his name or number, but super excited for the upcoming season. Again boiler up way up super purdue fans. Thanks for the love and understanding.
You don't have to explain yourself to anyone. Your insight is welcomed and appreciated.

Okay everybody so a mom from the basketball team has spoken so everything you've seen the last 13 years sweep underneath the rug it doesn't matter. 3 sweet sixteens all of the first-round exits the not making the tournament for a couple of years none of that means anything now it didn't happen.
Look at this grown man letting his emotions about a college basketball team run wild. Don't be so fragile. You'll enjoy college athletics a lot more.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT