ADVERTISEMENT

2017 class better than think

Treed1967

Junior
Apr 13, 2017
I will try to make this short and to the point. I'm a parent of one of the freshman on Purdue team and i stumbled onto this site about a few months after my son season had ended and i cannot believe how many of u on this site suppose to b FANS r so critical of Matt Painter and how this team will b this season that i had to create an account to say a few things to help make u understand what goes on in recruiting bcuz many of u have no clue about it and I DO. My son had many choices of schools to choose from but he chose purdue bcuz of how Matt painter recruited him. came to every game he was allowed to,called him talked to him via text and on the phone made sure my son new he wanted him. made no promises to he or i but said u come in and work u cud play. That article that came out today that matt painter talked about culture was totally on point and why my son chose this school and why if u all only knew who matt painter is u wud no he a good guy who knows a lot about this game and to me the best coach for my son and im glad my son chose this school to come to to further his education and play basketball in one of the toughest conferences around. give these kids and coaches a break season hasnt started yet b4 u complain about what they dont have. this team as i said in my thread will b better than u all think b patient and watch it play out. they the 2017 class is super athletic trust n believe that and in due time u all will see. as far as recruiting many kids chooses schools based on the name and not what fits them. why there is over 750 transfers right now. dont go crazy cuz certain kids that purdue offered chose to go elsewhere u have no idea why they chose to go to that school bcuz kids sometimes wanna stay in state so they family can see them ever thought of that. my son was recruited since the 8th grade i have seen it all trust me and kids and parents has to make a decision that is best for their kid no matter were they go they will have to live with that decision. lastly rankings r man made 5star 4star means nothing once u get in college trust me it dont ive seen 5 star sit on benches was lottery picks coming out of HS and literally sat on the bench got no playing time look it up kentucky, duke, kansas i no all those kids cuz my son played with many of them. what i no is this if u can play scouts will find u i no but cannot find u if u sitting on the bench that is facts. sorry for the long message just had to say something even tho u all dont no the half of what really goes on with recruiting the politics that all come with it. I will end it here give the kids and matt painter a break they working u all no idea what they all go thru day to day but what i feel in my heart this team is gonna like i said better than u all think post biggie cant replace biggie but can build of what biggie accomplished and bekieve me u this team gonna go out and try to win every game and make a serious run for a natl championship that is what my son came here to do win a natl championship. well take care all Boiler UP b fans and let the process play out.

Thanks for the post. 95% of fans agree with you. Unfortunately the 5% that don't are obnoxiously loud on forums such as these. So much so that most of the normal fans tend to stay away. Just keep that in mind as you read through here. They are not the majority. I for one am very excited about this season and thankful we have Coach Painter at the helm. Boiler up!

I will try to make this short and to the point lol. But seriously, if you actually are who you say you are, thanks for the insight.

Reactions: tjreese
I will try to make this short and to the point. I'm a parent of one of the freshman on Purdue team and i stumbled onto this site about a few months after my son season had ended and i cannot believe how many of u on this site suppose to b FANS r so critical of Matt Painter and how this team will b this season that i had to create an account to say a few things to help make u understand what goes on in recruiting bcuz many of u have no clue about it and I DO. My son had many choices of schools to choose from but he chose purdue bcuz of how Matt painter recruited him. came to every game he was allowed to,called him talked to him via text and on the phone made sure my son new he wanted him. made no promises to he or i but said u come in and work u cud play. That article that came out today that matt painter talked about culture was totally on point and why my son chose this school and why if u all only knew who matt painter is u wud no he a good guy who knows a lot about this game and to me the best coach for my son and im glad my son chose this school to come to to further his education and play basketball in one of the toughest conferences around. give these kids and coaches a break season hasnt started yet b4 u complain about what they dont have. this team as i said in my thread will b better than u all think b patient and watch it play out. they the 2017 class is super athletic trust n believe that and in due time u all will see. as far as recruiting many kids chooses schools based on the name and not what fits them. why there is over 750 transfers right now. dont go crazy cuz certain kids that purdue offered chose to go elsewhere u have no idea why they chose to go to that school bcuz kids sometimes wanna stay in state so they family can see them ever thought of that. my son was recruited since the 8th grade i have seen it all trust me and kids and parents has to make a decision that is best for their kid no matter were they go they will have to live with that decision. lastly rankings r man made 5star 4star means nothing once u get in college trust me it dont ive seen 5 star sit on benches was lottery picks coming out of HS and literally sat on the bench got no playing time look it up kentucky, duke, kansas i no all those kids cuz my son played with many of them. what i no is this if u can play scouts will find u i no but cannot find u if u sitting on the bench that is facts. sorry for the long message just had to say something even tho u all dont no the half of what really goes on with recruiting the politics that all come with it. I will end it here give the kids and matt painter a break they working u all no idea what they all go thru day to day but what i feel in my heart this team is gonna like i said better than u all think post biggie cant replace biggie but can build of what biggie accomplished and bekieve me u this team gonna go out and try to win every game and make a serious run for a natl championship that is what my son came here to do win a natl championship. well take care all Boiler UP b fans and let the process play out.
Kind of like fake news. Most people don't pay attention to what is said on these boards as they do not reflect the majority. Anyone who has had the opportunity to talk even briefly with CMP has a great deal of respect for him as a coach and as a person. Thanks for your post. It is a great time to be a Boilermaker!

At the end of the day we all want purdue to do well. Im a Purdue fan, not a painter fan tho since he is the coach obviously i want him to do good as well. Painter is a good coach for sure, just not sure he can get us back to the f4 like most of us want.

Thanks for the post. 95% of fans agree with you. Unfortunately the 5% that don't are obnoxiously loud on forums such as these. So much so that most of the normal fans tend to stay away. Just keep that in mind as you read through here. They are not the majority. I for one am very excited about this season and thankful we have Coach Painter at the helm. Boiler up!
Yes and there are also fake fans, such as IU fans pretending to be Purdue fans.

I'm excited to see the freshmen play!

Reactions: Zaphod_B
Thanks for speaking up! I hope your son has a wonderful basketball experience here at Purdue, for his sake, not for us fans. It's not about fans. We should just be along for the ride. Your son will also gain a love and passion for this school as well as a world class education which is far more valuable than he can understand at his young age. Congratulations to him and you.
Thanks for all the time, effort, sweat, tears, and money you gave to help your son to this point. I know how all consuming doing that for my daughter just in high school ball was so I can only imagine all that your families go through.
Please do not read this forum and view it as proportionately representing how Purdue fans think. Unfortunately you are seeing about five or six people who believe that being able to declare that THEY have a NCAA championship is all that matters. As if they have anything to do with it anyway!:D
The vast majority of us will positively support your son and the rest of the team for as long as we see them working hard and under Matt Painter, they will work hard.
If you keep reading this forum please make note that the negative posts are from a consistently small group of people and that the positive ones show up in greater numbers all the time.
The 17 class is going to make a big impression and I'm excited to see them play ball.

Thanks for posting this and hopefully will give the minority that complain some much needed perspective.

As others have noted, the ones complaining are a very small number and more than likely some using multiple log ins. An overwhelming majority share your sentiment about the coach and out team.

Reactions: bkgolden

Since this is a "Free board" we get a lot of poser iu fans who rag on Purdue as supposed "Purdue fans" -- if you have watched the site you will see that.

We also have actual Purdue fans too that just think recruiting could be better, but everyone here is elated with Nojel Eastern and are really excited about Wheeler. Haarms has long term potential and the shooting SS will provide after Mathias graduates will be great.

The 17 class is ranked on most sits in the B1G as 2nd......so it is a good class ranking wise in the B1G, and I hope performance wise it out does that on the court....and I think it has the potential to do so. So if anyone is ragging on the 17 class they have not paid attention to the classes rank in the B1G.

Welcome aboard & Boiler up!

I believe she is who she claims to be . I respect peoples rights to express their opinions however . As I have stated many times players , recruits , families and friends read these boards . I always encourage them to STOP . I agree with most if not all of what she said . If you think a negative post can't hurt recruiting think again ! One of the most insulting things to recruits is when fans rank who they want only one won't be offend . Please note this NOT ALL POSTERS ARE PURDUE FANS !

DO NOT read these message boards as a parent if you are going to take any of the negative posters seriously.

Reactions: Heller and Roeder
I believe she is who she claims to be . I respect peoples rights to express their opinions however . As I have stated many times players , recruits , families and friends read these boards . I always encourage them to STOP . I agree with most if not all of what she said . If you think a negative post can't hurt recruiting think again ! One of the most insulting things to recruits is when fans rank who they want only one won't be offend . Please note this NOT ALL POSTERS ARE PURDUE FANS !
Do you let them know in your creepy way of trying to communicate with recruiting prospects that are teenagers?

Reactions: OhioBoiler51
Hi. Thanks for your post. I hope your son and the team continue the great success. Let me warn you that ~ 50% of the posters are very negative. I read a lotta posts and if my child was being discussed, I'd be sick. If you are smart, you'll delete your account and stay away. The other 50% are great and will support the team / players / coaching staff even during tough times. I have been a fan for 35 years and don't have any illusions about Final 4 or NC. Yeah, its a nice pipe dream but an honest, blue collar program, that plays defense and doesn't pay off our student athletes with $$$ or other unethical incentives has little chance in today's game to make it to the top. I still have hopes and dreams about it but I'm happy with a CLEAN program that cares about winning and doing it the right way. The Purdue degree / name is so valuable and I'm living proof of it. A Purdue degree is like gold around the world. It may not seem this way so close to home. I truly hope your son plays great but even more so, hope he gets his degree and becomes a better person after spending 4 years in WL. Thanks again... Go Boilers!!! (as the 80s crowd says).

Let me very clear we all have opinions and those of u on this site have yours like I have mine and I am entitled to say what I think as well. I am who I say I am I'm not in high school im a proud 50 year old mother of one of the players on this team and trust me i don't take things personally but u don't take it personally either when people disagree with what u post either. My point I was trying to make I'm a parent maybe u r too and when u read about things that are being said about ur child it kinda hurt but I also no it all comes with the territory as well. At the end of the day im not a coach or recruiter I was the mother of a kid that was being recruited and it's a lot that goes into this more than many of u no. U may not b a MP fan but purdue fan I respect that but I can assure u MP wants more than anything to win a natl championship and I can bet money he is doing all he can to get them there. We all have difference of opinions I will respect yours hope u respect mine. As a whole I no many of u support the program and the players and those that don't you have that right too. I look forward to a surprisingly great season watching this team play and more importantly watching my son play college basketball you cannot imagine how proud I am of my son of all the hard work he has put in and still puts in to get better. I did not come on this site to bash nobody I just felt compelled to give my opinion like u all do I just happen to b the mother of one of the players on the team. You all continue to do what you do and will move on as one poster advised me to do and I will do just that my last post I'm posting. We'll see u all August 11/12 I'll be there wearing my son jersey on my back cheering purdue on. Boiler up!!!!

This thread is proof positive that these forums impact recruiting. That was an argument that went on and on last season and can finally be put to rest.

If anyone still thinks that there isn't they are living in on narrow minded dream world.

Thank You for this great post. There are some very negative people who complain on here, and they need to read and understand EVERY WORD of your post. Unlike the negative people on here, you actually know what's going on. The positive people, myself included, far out number the negative ones, however the complainers and whiners scream louder and more often. Positive or negative, we all love PURDUE, and thank you for shedding light on CMP from the viewpoint of the parent of one of our players. You clearly know better than anybody on here.

Let me very clear we all have opinions and those of u on this site have yours like I have mine and I am entitled to say what I think as well. I am who I say I am I'm not in high school im a proud 50 year old mother of one of the players on this team and trust me i don't take things personally but u don't take it personally either when people disagree with what u post either. My point I was trying to make I'm a parent maybe u r too and when u read about things that are being said about ur child it kinda hurt but I also no it all comes with the territory as well. At the end of the day im not a coach or recruiter I was the mother of a kid that was being recruited and it's a lot that goes into this more than many of u no. U may not b a MP fan but purdue fan I respect that but I can assure u MP wants more than anything to win a natl championship and I can bet money he is doing all he can to get them there. We all have difference of opinions I will respect yours hope u respect mine. As a whole I no many of u support the program and the players and those that don't you have that right too. I look forward to a surprisingly great season watching this team play and more importantly watching my son play college basketball you cannot imagine how proud I am of my son of all the hard work he has put in and still puts in to get better. I did not come on this site to bash nobody I just felt compelled to give my opinion like u all do I just happen to b the mother of one of the players on the team. You all continue to do what you do and will move on as one poster advised me to do and I will do just that my last post I'm posting. We'll see u all August 11/12 I'll be there wearing my son jersey on my back cheering purdue on. Boiler up!!!!
Thank you for posting. You must be so proud of your son! You are just in the beginning stages of what will hopefully become a fantastic career at Purdue. You and your son made the right choice playing for Matt and Purdue. You can always tell a lot about a coach by the way past players talk about him and GK for that matter when they are done with their careers. If the player believes the coach made him a better person and gave him the tools to succeed in life after Basketball, the coach is doing his job.

And to you, thank you for everything that you have done to get your son to this point. Sometimes its lost how much goes into helping and letting your child be the best they can be. This day and age with the travel, practices, costs and time involved with high level athletics it should not go unnoticed what that means from a parent perspective.

If the 17 class exceeds its ranking we will all be delighted as they were #2 class in the B1G. They have the potential to do so....some of the most athletic guys we have seen in awhile with actual great basketball skills to go with it.

Nope, just hope her son takes advantage of the educational opportunity they are getting.

Also so tired of the thin skin crowd. If you play a sport, you are going to find negative comments, even if you are one of the greatest players ever. I like are recruits coming in, but none of them are the next MJ and if people can find negative things to say about him, you can anyone.

And also, spell out words, it isn't hard. Otherwise you come across as a high-schooler and I stop listening/reading.

And you come across as an arrogant asshat that I'll no longer take seriously. It's not about having 'thin skin,' it's about your intolerant douchebaggery and a mother standing up for her son and likely what she considers 10-13 other sons as well.

Last edited:

Thank you for the great post. I, like most other Boilers you'll find anywhere, are honored to share the same university as alumni as your son does as a current student-athlete. Even though some may show some negative thoughts, they are mostly negative no matter what happens. Every fan base has them but don't let their negative thoughts and opinions matter too much. I'm sure if CMP went to a full blown zone this year and Purdue lost a non-conference game, they would suddenly be clamoring for an attacking man to man defense. Some people just want to watch the world burn.

Nope, just hope her son takes advantage of the educational opportunity they are getting.

Also so tired of the thin skin crowd. If you play a sport, you are going to find negative comments, even if you are one of the greatest players ever. I like are recruits coming in, but none of them are the next MJ and if people can find negative things to say about him, you can anyone.

And also, spell out words, it isn't hard. Otherwise you come across as a high-schooler and I stop listening/reading.

An overrated ballhog? That's your example?

Reactions: Indy_Rider
And you come across as an arrogant asshat that I'll no longer take seriously. It's not about having 'thin skin,' it's about your intolerant douchebaggery and a mother standing up for her son and likely what she considers 10-13 other sons as well.
I would second that!! twice if I could.

Reactions: boiler800
Treed1967: Thank you for posting here! We ae honored by your attention to this board. Congratulations on your son becoming part of a great team, university, and conference! I think his time at Purdue will be some of his most treasured experiences.

Please don't put too much stock in the things you read here. Let me be frank. All of the posters here are amateurs. We don't really know much about the game, especially at the level of the game your son and his teammates play. What some of us "see" may not be accurate, and we often draw incorrect conclusions.

Second, we are often polluted by posters pretending to be Purdue fans, but in truth, have no interest in the team. It's a free board, so insect control is difficult. These posters are either seeking attention through unhealthy behavior, or they are fans of our rivals and are seeking to cause controversy here. You can spot them pretty easy. These guys usually have a low post count, and most of their posts are about how great our rival is (usually IU), or how poor Purdue is going to do next year, etc. The guys from MSU are usually proud of their school and pronounce their allegiance. The IU guys are embarrassed by their school and usually try to appear as Purdue fans dissatisfied with the team. Clowns, all.

Based on your post about the 2017 class, I suspect you were influenced by a post from one of our clown population. This is the time of the year the clowns are most prevalent. Once play starts, and Purdue begins to kick butt, they fade into the woodwork like roaches.

Boiler Up!

I'm very happy to hear a little bit of info from someone that has truly gone through the recruiting process with a child. Thank you so much to TReed for posting this, and as others have said, I don't think I could come here anymore and read these forums if my child were on the team.

I don't think I have been as excited for a group at Purdue in some time. Wheeler seems to be an athletic freak with reports of grabbing boards and passes 12 feet in the air. Haarms is 7'3, gaining weight and can play inside and out. Stefanovic looks to be in the mold of Dakota which is never a bad thing. And Eastern is the crown jewel of the class, a PG with his size has the potential to be the best PG Purdue has seen in decades.

Enjoy watching your child play at Purdue. I know most of us here will too.

Boiler up and welcome to the family.

I have said this hundreds of times, but I am estatic about the '17 class. Eastern is going to be incredible. With his size, ability, and basketball IQ he has the chance to be all conference, all-American, and get drafted in the first round. Wheeler has size and athleticism we haven't seen since JJ. If he can put on some weight and continue to improve his strength, he should also be all-conference and get drafted in the first round. Haarms is a Big that can move and shoot. He will find playing time, maybe not next year, but moving forward. Ewing is extremely athletic and adds a dimension we haven't had in awhile. Add this to a team full of seniors and of course it will be very successful. Most complaints are coming because Biggie left and Purdue missed on some top 25 kids. Had it not been for the misses or the loss of Biggie, there wouldn't be near as many complaints. It is a very solid and well rounded class.

I could care less about rankings. Can they play and can they buy into the system. We have had high ranked classes that failed miserably and had many transfer out. Those can set a program back years, and Purdue was way down after the baby boilers left. There are some players I wish Painter would go after, but he also has access to a lot of information I couldn't even dream about having. He has been quite successful dealing with an AD that absolutely crippled Purdue sports. There aren't many coaches that could have done what Painter has done with what he had. He loves the kids. Not that fake love Izzo spills, but he actually loves them. When Big Steve passed, Painter was there at his funeral even though he chose Dayton over Purdue. He told Hayward he was special and would be in the NBA. Painter still has nothing but good things to say about him even though he chose Butler. There isn't a better coach to play for and Painter is so classy. I am very glad he is the Purdue coach.

One thing to keep in mind is that a free board gives trolls a voice. People that get on here and say ridiculous things for nothing more than attention. Then there are people who are frustrated and want more, but are afforded complete anonymity so they say things they never would in normal conversation. People come here to complain because a free board gives them a voice. This board should not be viewed as any kind of actual representation of the Purdue fan base. There are several accounts that are not actually Purdue fans, but come here to complain and stir things up. There are many true Boiler fans that come here to share information and optimism (which is the intent of the board, to bring fans together and help them stay informed). Purdue supports their players just as much as any other team in the nation and the elecriticy/energy inside Mackey is easily top 10.

Thanks for writing mom. Whether your son becomes an All-American or just contributes in any way he can I am proud to have him on the Purdue team. Make sure he gets his degree and that he works hard and I will be proud of him.

You are on it, JDB. I have seen this poster name before on this board and he never has anything positive to say about us, CMP, the Purdue team or Purdue University. Ignore is the right was to handle him.

THANK YOU. Get it through your skulls, Painter Haters.

Here is some advice, when critiquing someone else's writing and grammar, take the time to double check your own spelling. "It isn't hard."

I'm very happy to hear a little bit of info from someone that has truly gone through the recruiting process with a child. Thank you so much to TReed for posting this, and as others have said, I don't think I could come here anymore and read these forums if my child were on the team.

I don't think I have been as excited for a group at Purdue in some time. Wheeler seems to be an athletic freak with reports of grabbing boards and passes 12 feet in the air. Haarms is 7'3, gaining weight and can play inside and out. Stefanovic looks to be in the mold of Dakota which is never a bad thing. And Eastern is the crown jewel of the class, a PG with his size has the potential to be the best PG Purdue has seen in decades.

Enjoy watching your child play at Purdue. I know most of us here will too.

Boiler up and welcome to the family.
We should also remember we are hearing great things about Mr. Ewing's athleticism as well.

PREACH! Great post!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT