ADVERTISEMENT

20-1...who the hell saw this coming in the preseason?

My point is every year the big 10 has star players and every year sends teams to the NCAA tournament. This year is no different than any other year. This year is not an up or down year for the BIG 10. It’s just another year like every year before it
Yea that's not how things work. At all. Things can be better or worse by the year. The Big Ten is just down this year more than usual.

I think foul shooting is always in play...not getting there...not making them or making a lot of them. I expect closer games in the conference as many teams do when in conference play and with the big appearing to swallow the whistle sometimes that would tend to bring teams closer together. All that said, games against teams like Minny are few between.

Consistency of play eliminates the highs and lows of games, but generally puts a team in position to win...Purdue has done that. I'm sure we all would like larger win gaps, but this team is still young by any standard and probably playing "closer" to it's current ceiling than many. A team that gets to #1 is good and rarely gets a bad game by an opponent and so how long it can stay in that spot is another indicator of how good it is. I have seen improvement recently in perimeter shot selection and some quickness concerns for Zach, but in teh growth pains it appears Purdue has been good enough for some time and will continue to improve over the season.
Very well said.

Yea that's not how things work. At all. Things can be better or worse by the year. The Big Ten is just down this year more than usual.
Why do believe the BIG 10 is down this year? Just because IU is not doing well? And if the Big 10 is down, Who is up? It’s definitely not Alabama.

Reactions: DrEss
Why do believe the BIG 10 is down this year? Just because IU is not doing well? And if the Big 10 is down, Who is up? It’s definitely not Alabama.
How many teams are in the Top 25? How many are legitimate threats to reach the 2nd weekend? Even just eye test, how many can you claim are really good teams?

How many teams are in the Top 25? How many are legitimate threats to reach the 2nd weekend? Even just eye test, how many can you claim are really good teams?
That just means it’s an up year for all of college basketball. There are some different teams having good years. Or we could say those people who do the voting are no smarter than myself. What fool voted for Alabama as the #2 team?

I don’t like people coming to other team’s boards and trying to spoil their fun by saying their accomplishments are only because it’s a down year. Maybe 5 years from now people will say this was the greatest year ever. And the records are a result of parity!

And I’m positive somebody will say the NIL made this a down year. For the BIG 10. How’s peck doing at Miami? At least he’s now rich and well fed!

Don't know. I wasn't alive to watch. But that 76' team widely regarded as one of the greatest teams of all time.
It was a great one.Five seniors among their top six players as Jimmy Crews was the top back up,along with fellow Seniors Buckner,May,Wilkerson and Abernathy and Kent Benson was their Junior Center in his third year as a starter.You dont see good teams that are that experienced any more because so many guys leave after a year or two for the NBA.

That just means it’s an up year for all of college basketball. There are some different teams having good years. Or we could say those people who do the voting are no smarter than myself. What fool voted for Alabama as the #2 team?

I don’t like people coming to other team’s boards and trying to spoil their fun by saying their accomplishments are only because it’s a down year. Maybe 5 years from now people will say this was the greatest year ever. And the records are a result of parity!

And I’m positive somebody will say the NIL made this a down year. For the BIG 10. How’s peck doing at Miami? At least he’s now rich and well fed!
I think for the Big Ten it's been the inability to bring in top talent consistently and the god awful style of play and officiating. I'd add conference realignment as well which has done nothing but hurt college basketball as a whole.

Do not bring the refs into the equation. This year’s refs are no better or worse than the refs we’ve had in the BIG 10 for the last 50 years! I’ve never seen one year without fans talking about blown calls. At least now the comish office comes forward after the game and says ooops, sorry, looks like we made a bad call which may have cost a team their game. Sorry, we’re not going to do anything about it.

Do not bring the refs into the equation. This year’s refs are no better or worse than the refs we’ve had in the BIG 10 for the last 50 years! I’ve never seen one year without fans talking about blown calls. At least now the comish office comes forward after the game and says ooops, sorry, looks like we made a bad call which may have cost a team their game. Sorry, we’re not going to do anything about it.
The difference between now and 20 years ago is what? The massive difference in this world that's blown up in the past decade?

It was a great one.Five seniors among their top six players as Jimmy Crews was the top back up,along with fellow Seniors Buckner,May,Wilkerson and Abernathy and Kent Benson was their Junior Center in his third year as a starter.You dont see good teams that are that experienced any more because so many guys leave after a year or two for the NBA.
That team beat Purdue twice by an average of 3.5 points. Purdue led at Mackey in the lsat minute or so until Buckner got the ball away from Parkinson in the NW sideline (across from teh Purdue bench today). How good was Purdue...a team rarely mentioned but 3.5 less points than IUs 76 team?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT