ADVERTISEMENT

#2 Receiver? Rice?

pulax78

Gold Member
Sep 20, 2001
Plantation, FL
Purdue's been looking for a #2 receiver. Is Mershawn Rice hurt? I don't remember him being targeted these past two weeks. I think he would be the guy.

When you’re talking about secondary receivers, you need someone to emerge as a deep threat. It would be good for someone to emerge as someone who could be consistent with underneath routes or slants.

I think we have guys that are decent and can make some grabs from time to time. Durham can hammer teams if he isn’t given proper coverage. Thompson being healthy would be amazing. Rice looks the part. I would think some of those young guys have some talent as well.

Reactions: BoilersRock
Right now, the #2 receiver is still by committee. Each week it seems to be a different receiver.

There was one play where the announcer said that “O’Connell will be kicking himself when he sees the film because he had rice wide open.”

that’s about the only time I’ve heard his name called all season.

Maybe that was on the play to Payne Durham in the crowd near the sideline, njm? Vague memories now......settling in after the "euphoria."

There was one play where the announcer said that “O’Connell will be kicking himself when he sees the film because he had rice wide open.”

that’s about the only time I’ve heard his name called all season.

Rice has made several nice catches this season. Just hasn't done much the past couple of games.

I don't remember seeing Rice yesterday. What about ARY?

Sheffield and Tracy seem like co-#2s, at least if you don't count Durham. It sure would be nice to have more bodies to throw at teams. I do like what we've seen out of Burks lately. Crazy fast.

I don't remember seeing Rice yesterday. What about ARY?

Sheffield and Tracy seem like co-#2s, at least if you don't count Durham. It sure would be nice to have more bodies to throw at teams. I do like what we've seen out of Burks lately. Crazy fast.
Rice was mentioned yesterday, was glad to see the ball spread around more to our receivers yesterday including Pilferi.

Rice played quite a bit. Mostly blocking though because O'Connell doesn't look his way much any more. He needs to get more targets.

This appears to be a priority for next year's transfer portal. I suspect the Boilers can cherry pick some very good wide outs from other schools. Other than mr sizzle I don't see the separation from the other wr's. Same for TE's next year if Miller looses a step.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Rice had a really nice game against PSU and seems to have disappeared. There was also another WR (Cannion??) who made a play or two and we were like "Who the hell is that!".

I do think AOC tends to lock on to guys before the ball is even snapped and is going that guys way no matter what. That could be a function of not trusting the OL or his own legs. He made at least 3 throws against Minny that were just terrible reads/decisions and could have been picked.

Teams are going to start really shading CJones and not allowing 1 guy to beat them, so another deep ball threat needs to emerge.

Reactions: DAG10
This appears to be a priority for next year's transfer portal. I suspect the Boilers can cherry pick some very good wide outs from other schools. Other than mr sizzle I don't see the separation from the other wr's. Same for TE's next year if Miller looses a step.
Agree. Purdue should just show any Top WR with NFL talent looking to transfer the CJones tape.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Rice had a really nice game against PSU and seems to have disappeared. There was also another WR (Cannion??) who made a play or two and we were like "Who the hell is that!".

I do think AOC tends to lock on to guys before the ball is even snapped and is going that guys way no matter what. That could be a function of not trusting the OL or his own legs. He made at least 3 throws against Minny that were just terrible reads/decisions and could have been picked.

Teams are going to start really shading CJones and not allowing 1 guy to beat them, so another deep ball threat needs to emerge.
With AOC seemed 'locked in' with Jones....how deflating does that become for other WR?

Reactions: DrEss and NVboiler
With AOC seemed 'locked in' with Jones....how deflating does that become for other WR?
Interesting comment from an interview/segment I recently heard. The interviewer was asking the same question about AOC locking on to Charlie, and wasn't that an issue....then they looked at the tapes. Even with the coverage he's STILL getting open, so the response has been "look for Jones" as in he needs to be targeted even more.

Maybe not gelling in practice (dropsies)? Surprised on two fronts: 1) On 3rd down and long situations that Payne Durham and add Paul Piferi to the mix to stretch the field and target them in open seams. 2) Durham isn't targeted more as well for possesions, moving the chains, and Red Zone.

Against Cuse, there were a couple of 10-12 yard outs to Rice. They were either bad throws by O'Connell (which they could have been) or Rice didn't break in time. I'd have to look at the tape again, but I remember had Rice broken earlier the ball seemed to be placed correctly.

If he's not running the routes correctly, he's not going to get many looks.

We really could use a big receiver to add another element. Unfortunately, they all seem to be hurt or not up to speed.

Agree it would be nice to have a clear #2 emerge to put more pressure on D.

Milton Wright would look really good out there right now opposite Jones...

I hope Thompson's injury isn't season ending. If healthy I think he'd be that guy down the stretch.

Is Yaseen even practicing?

Sheffield is steady Eddy.

Rice has the tools and showed flashes early, but disappeared the past 2 games.

Burks seems like the guy who is coming on strong. He could add a Rondale-light type element to the playbook.

Reactions: purduepat1969

I hope Thompson's injury isn't season ending. If healthy I think he'd be that guy down the stretch.

Burks seems like the guy who is coming on strong. He could add a Rondale-light type element to the playbook.
The fact that Wright couldn't pull D's and C's in the classroom and possibly left millions of $ on the table still baffles me.

wish Sullivan would get some looks, he did last year.

Rice doesn’t have ton of acceleration off the line so it limits his timing

yaseen is still injured

cannion is injured

Sheffield is better than all of the above

For the collective quality at that position, it has been very disappointing to date from a production standpoint outside of the obvious in Jones...more so with a quality QB to get the ball to them...all of them for that matter if they were capable.

Thompson missed the entire off-season, and, never has been "right" seemingly after the bowl game unfortunately.

I don't even recall what happened to/with Yaseen...just know he too has been unavailable more than available unfortunately.

Rice has all but vanished...thankfully, Burks has stepped up some.

Canion...no idea what the situation is there either...heard some encouraging things coming into the season, and, I don't know if he has even stepped on the field.

Failing academically as a P5 athlete actually requires effort.
It would require such a lack of effort, that, to your point...it would require effort to put forth essentially no effort at all.

To have gotten to that point was pretty crazy...to have still had the chance(s) to address/rectify it, and, STILL not be able to...that is genuinely alarming.

I felt like Purdue/staff were in part to blame for his having been in that position in that they obviously do grade checks and what not, but, again, for this situation to have been as bad as it apparently was...it is on the kid.

How anyone with what he had on the line could find themselves in that position to begin with is really surprising (and that is being kind).

• Haha
Reactions: bonefish1
Maybe not gelling in practice (dropsies)? Surprised on two fronts: 1) On 3rd down and long situations that Payne Durham and add Paul Piferi to the mix to stretch the field and target them in open seams. 2) Durham isn't targeted more as well for possesions, moving the chains, and Red Zone.

Know he's only got a handful of catches but impressed with Piferi. And boy do they need him with Miller out for the year

Reactions: ImRonBurgandy?
It would require such a lack of effort, that, to your point...it would require effort to put forth essentially no effort at all.

To have gotten to that point was pretty crazy...to have still had the chance(s) to address/rectify it, and, STILL not be able to...that is genuinely alarming.

I felt like Purdue/staff were in part to blame for his having been in that position in that they obviously do grade checks and what not, but, again, for this situation to have been as bad as it apparently was...it is on the kid.

How anyone with what he had on the line could find themselves in that position to begin with is really surprising (and that is being kind).
I thought there was wind of maybe a personal issue, which may have certainly been the reason for the bad grades. We'll probably never know the whole story.

Goldblkhoops stated Wright was training for the NFL draft in FL. Not sure what his chances are of getting drafted, especially after a year off. Seems like his best bet would be to get eligible, come back to Purdue, and be WR1 in Brohm's offense. Pretty much guaranteed to get drafted in the first 3 rounds in that scenario imo.

Reactions: DAG10
ADVERTISEMENT