ADVERTISEMENT

1 thing I noticed this year

PaBoiler78

All-American
Jan 18, 2002
when breaking a press, I've seen Caleb come up to middle of the court get a pass then give back to guards. In years past we had so much trouble w/ the press and I'm going bring a tall guy up to the middle and run the guards by him.

Something tells me this group is more willing to listen and learn than last year's group. While Ivey was a unique talent and Tre got as much out of his abilities as possible this group seems overall more gifted athletically.

when breaking a press, I've seen Caleb come up to middle of the court get a pass then give back to guards. In years past we had so much trouble w/ the press and I'm going bring a tall guy up to the middle and run the guards by him.
that is essentially what almost every AAU coach teaches in 11-under. I have always been baffled by why many college teams don't do it. getting the ball to the middle is the key against any zone, either full court or half-court. Maybe not a 3-2, but when's the last time you saw one of those?

They started doing this last year and it was very successful.

Reactions: LedZep17
Actually standard whether half court or press with hole in the middle like a 1 2 2 or 2 2 1 press. Tried it a lot against Iowa press 1 2 2 Can’t recall what was ran last week. Difference in the past was Carsen and Lew Jack mostly IMO. Difference today is a lot of Braden and some Fletcher mostly IMO. No difference in Matt’s understanding in how to break certain presses if someone asks later in the season😊

that is essentially what almost every AAU coach teaches in 11-under. I have always been baffled by why many college teams don't do it. getting the ball to the middle is the key against any zone, either full court or half-court. Maybe not a 3-2, but when's the last time you saw one of those?
It is either zone, man or some hybrid. Your point about zone half or full is sometimes missed by fans. There is a lot of weak side flash to the middle and looking opposite once the ball is in the middle whether full or half and will throw in short corner in the half.

Even against man you hope the O stays away from sideline in case they run and jump

That said a quick guard makes things easier. Unless the refs swallow the whistle I think Purdue will be fine this year

you weren't paying attention the second half of the season then
Why can't you share your thoughts or opinions without making it personal, I watched the whole season, I saw the same thing pretty consistently with Hunter turning his back to the play and dribble leading with his rear end. If you thought it changed , just say so.

I honestly think Fletcher could break a press better than Hunter could if need be. As long as Braden is not in foul trouble I see a press as a non issue this year
At first glance, I thought he was an athleteitcly challenged shooter. Saw a few times he can fly down the court. He is way faster than he plays at times. Hence his success at getting open and to the rim are not accidents.

At first glance, I thought he was an athleteitcly challenged shooter. Saw a few times he can fly down the court. He is way faster than he plays at times. Hence his success at getting open and to the rim are not accidents.
Yeah, I'm fine with all those shots that got blocked. In a year or two when he has about 15 more pounds on him, he'll be able to get those in the bucket. Really like his confidence going to the rim.

That's every team's strategy to break the press: Don't pick up your dribble, don't let yourself get trapped, and Get the ball into the middle where that guy can then get the ball out on a wing.

Purdue's past problems with the press is a lack of quick ball handlers who would attack it instead of back off, allowing the D to get in position to press.
Smith does a good job of going at the press instead of letting the press go at him (IT, Hunter, etc.)

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT